Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-06-2014, 07:54 PM   #1
dreamerAl
Mouseketeer

Sheraton vistana resort end of March

We are staying at the Sheraton vistana resort the last week in March. Is it crazy busy that time of year. We have stayed there before the last week of August and it was really quiet. We are tennis nuts and plan to play everyday. Are the courts heavily used that time of the year., also to pool areas... We are booking the fountains area. Is the pool nice there. I can't remember walking to that area of the resort
Old 10-06-2014, 08:06 PM   #2
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamerAl View Post
We are staying at the Sheraton vistana resort the last week in March. Is it crazy busy that time of year. We have stayed there before the last week of August and it was really quiet. We are tennis nuts and plan to play everyday. Are the courts heavily used that time of the year., also to pool areas... We are booking the fountains area. Is the pool nice there. I can't remember walking to that area of the resort
I can't answer your questions about what its like in March, but I can help with the questions about the Fountains pool .

The Fountains pool is our favourite pool at the resort. It has a great waterfall, an in-water volleyball net, and a deep section (more than 6 feet) in the centre. There's a kids splash pool adjacent to it, and two hot tubs in a lovely quiet area up behind the waterfall. This is also the pool where dive-in movies are hosted.

Dec. 2012...Christmas week at SeaWorld, Aquatica, Gatorland, airboats, & holiday fun
**Christmas 2012 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3041415
Aug. 2013....Sheraton Vistana Resort: Blizzard Beach, Typhoon Lagoon, Cocoa Beach & more! **August 2013 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3167818

Aug. 2014.....SVR, SW, DC, AQ, TL, Daytona & MORE! **August 2014 Trip Report: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=51863899

Currently planning for 2015 -- May, October & Christmas Week

PTR: A Spring Fling on the Dark Side - 2 Muggles Celebrate in Diagon Alley http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?p=52945601
Gina-Gina-Bo-Bina is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-06-2014, 08:24 PM   #3
bankr63
DIS Veteran

Our trips to Vistana are always 2nd or 3rd week of March. I have never seen the courts anywhere near full; maybe 50% used on a busy day. Should be no problem getting the court time you want.

It's kind of fun to do the impossible. - Walt Disney

Last trip to WDW and US, March 8-17, 2013
Next trip planned for March 13-22 2015 - driving 1,500 miles on Friday the 13th

bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 12:06 AM   #4
kathy884
DIS Veteran

We are a tennis playing family and have stayed at the Vistana over spring break several times, usually the second to last week in March, though, rather than the very last week, as that's when spring break usually falls for us. We've never had problems getting courts. They are used quite a bit in the morning especially. And it's not like they are empty, but for the six or eight of us that went down to play, we could always get two every time we tried. If we had all wanted to play singles, though, we would have been out of luck for that. On our week long stay, we played four out of the six days we were there last time (three times in the morning and once in the late afternoon -- much emptier in the afternoons). Two of our days were morning to night theme park days with no time for tennis.

I don't know if they do this anymore, but one Christmas they even had a tennis tournament for guests, and my mom (then 74) and me (then 50) -- (we both play 4.0 USTA) were runners up to two sisters who played on college tennis teams. They were way better than us for sure, but so nice, and it was really fun to play them. And mom and I did win a few matches to get to the finals.

The Vistana is a terrific resort, and how great that they offer so many courts (mostly clay) which we really enjoy.

Oh and the pools and hot tubs are very nice. We were at the Fountains last time, and liked the pool and hot tub there a lot. And it's open till 1 a.m., so our teens went swimming after park fireworks. // The Vistana has lovely pools, tennis courts (more than other places have), renovated condos, wonderful landscaping and almost every condo unit with a patio or balcony overlooking some water with a nice view making this resort IMHO a great choice for an Orlando week, and we have stayed here five different times.

Last edited by kathy884; 10-07-2014 at 12:21 AM.
kathy884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 07:07 AM   #5
dreamerAl
Mouseketeer

Thank you very much for the replies. That was very helpful. Can't wait
Old 10-11-2014, 04:45 PM   #6
WDW_Diane
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy884 View Post
We are a tennis playing family and have stayed at the Vistana over spring break several times, usually the second to last week in March, though, rather than the very last week, as that's when spring break usually falls for us. We've never had problems getting courts. They are used quite a bit in the morning especially. And it's not like they are empty, but for the six or eight of us that went down to play, we could always get two every time we tried. If we had all wanted to play singles, though, we would have been out of luck for that. On our week long stay, we played four out of the six days we were there last time (three times in the morning and once in the late afternoon -- much emptier in the afternoons). Two of our days were morning to night theme park days with no time for tennis. I don't know if they do this anymore, but one Christmas they even had a tennis tournament for guests, and my mom (then 74) and me (then 50) -- (we both play 4.0 USTA) were runners up to two sisters who played on college tennis teams. They were way better than us for sure, but so nice, and it was really fun to play them. And mom and I did win a few matches to get to the finals. The Vistana is a terrific resort, and how great that they offer so many courts (mostly clay) which we really enjoy. Oh and the pools and hot tubs are very nice. We were at the Fountains last time, and liked the pool and hot tub there a lot. And it's open till 1 a.m., so our teens went swimming after park fireworks. // The Vistana has lovely pools, tennis courts (more than other places have), renovated condos, wonderful landscaping and almost every condo unit with a patio or balcony overlooking some water with a nice view making this resort IMHO a great choice for an Orlando week, and we have stayed here five different times.
How far is it to WDW? Did you drive your car or use a shuttle? Considering a timeshare stay there or another place. Thanks!
Old 10-11-2014, 08:51 PM   #7
kathy884
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW_Diane View Post
How far is it to WDW? Did you drive your car or use a shuttle? Considering a timeshare stay there or another place. Thanks!
It's just down the road from Downtown Disney (2 miles away from that). It's probably 6 or 7 miles from the Magic Kingdom. When my nephew was doing the Disney College program the apartment complex that he stayed in with five other guys was right next to the Vistana, so the Disney employee buses come by there. We always get a car. Makes it easy to hit rope drop at Disney parks, do grocery store runs, hit SeaWorld, go see the Titanic attraction on I-drive, get to Disney monorail hotels (get the three hour freebie parking pass) and look around, etc., so I can't speak to the shuttle bus. The only shuttles I've ever taken were from Disney resorts, and I found using my car from offsite quite a bit faster than those shuttles. One year we stayed at Port Orleans for a week and then at the Vistana for a week, and lol it really felt like could get to the parks faster from the Vistana even when I drove from Port Orleans with a car. // I think you'd be very happy here. Note, though, that there are so many great timeshare resorts in Orlando, and it is fun to mix it up too. We've probably stayed at this one though more than any of the others -- readily available rental at good prices, a place we really like, and all those great tennis courts I think. Though the years (38 visits in all) we've stayed at three different campgrounds in the area, five different timeshare resorts, two different Disney hotels, two different SeaWorld hotels, and two different residential communities. Except for Tower high floor room at the Contemporary when someone else is paying (I'd never pay those prices, but DH has had a few conferences he had to attend there over the years), the offsite timeshare resorts are my favorite for sure for a week long stay. And the Sheraton Vistana is a really good one.
kathy884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2014, 11:45 PM   #8
WDW_Diane
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy884 View Post
It's just down the road from Downtown Disney (2 miles away from that). It's probably 6 or 7 miles from the Magic Kingdom. When my nephew was doing the Disney College program the apartment complex that he stayed in with five other guys was right next to the Vistana, so the Disney employee buses come by there. We always get a car. Makes it easy to hit rope drop at Disney parks, do grocery store runs, hit SeaWorld, go see the Titanic attraction on I-drive, get to Disney monorail hotels (get the three hour freebie parking pass) and look around, etc., so I can't speak to the shuttle bus. The only shuttles I've ever taken were from Disney resorts, and I found using my car from offsite quite a bit faster than those shuttles. One year we stayed at Port Orleans for a week and then at the Vistana for a week, and lol it really felt like could get to the parks faster from the Vistana even when I drove from Port Orleans with a car. // I think you'd be very happy here. Note, though, that there are so many great timeshare resorts in Orlando, and it is fun to mix it up too. We've probably stayed at this one though more than any of the others -- readily available rental at good prices, a place we really like, and all those great tennis courts I think. Though the years (38 visits in all) we've stayed at three different campgrounds in the area, five different timeshare resorts, two different Disney hotels, two different SeaWorld hotels, and two different residential communities. Except for Tower high floor room at the Contemporary when someone else is paying (I'd never pay those prices, but DH has had a few conferences he had to attend there over the years), the offsite timeshare resorts are my favorite for sure for a week long stay. And the Sheraton Vistana is a really good one.
Thank you for taking the time to share thus helpful information! Lots to think about now.....