Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2009, 08:49 PM   #241
Mickey_Mom
DIS Veteran

Storms, Sun and Sundaes

Boats were tossed and palms were bent. And when the storm of storms finally blew out to sea, it left behind this topsy-turvy tropical paradise. A sun-drenched oasis for swimming, soaking and sliding. – “The Story” TL guide map

We had a full day at TL before our Chef Mickey reservations for 8pm that we were realllllly looking forward to. Two days before leaving for our trip was Alex’s birthday and in lieu of a party we were going to celebrate at Chef Mickeys – his favorite. He’d also just graduated from middle school so we were throwing that into the celebration too.

No pictures for these … sorry….. I always forgot to strap the disposable around my wrist. Anyway, in the order as close as I can remember…..

Typhoon Lagoon Surf Pool – so this is the main pool with the previously mentioned fwoomps! that let out the crazy six foot waves. We loved it! Ariana was right out there waiting for the waves to crash but then she started channeling her inner Mermaid and wanted to sit on the little half walls that were at the edges of the pool. The water would crash up around her just like Ariel and she would smile ear to ear.

Castaway Creek – fabulous lazy river with the occasional waterfall to either avoid or steer towards depending on your preference. All of us loved the lazy river… we would sometimes all hold hands so this virtual wall of boats would be floating around, or sometimes Alex would float away with Demetri or me with Ariana…. We were hardly at our table at all because anytime we had some free time between other attractions we’d always hop on to the lazy river. We also used it as a way to get around the park too… “Oh you want to check out Ketchakiddee Creek? OK, lets hop on the lazy river!” We must have been on it over half the day.

Keelhaul Falls / Mayday Falls / Gangplank Falls – way, way, super fun slide rides that we all could go on. Gangplank was a family rafting one which we had so much fun on…… it had the longest line but so worth it. Keelhaul and Mayday were a blast. I was worried my little dare devil was going to have problems at the ends of the rides where you’re basically dunked into the water at the end, but we had a system of what order everyone went in:

Alex (who got an added bonus of being the first to do everything) who would then await…
Ariana so she wouldn’t leave without us, then….
George so he could set himself up to catch….
Demetri at the bottom, and lastly….
me who would make sure Demetri went off OK.

Demetri was OK getting dunked as long as George at least made an attempt to catch him at the end.

Humunga Kowabunga – This one is three side by side slides where you go straight down super fast. I personally didn’t do this one, it was too big for Demetri so I waited with him at the bottom of the slides where there are steps to sit on. Alex, Ariana and George did this one and the lines must have been crazy because it did seem to take them a while. Demetri and I had a hoot watching the people come off of this ride. You come down so quickly you can’t help but stand up with a wedgie of some sort! Finally my family made it down and Ariana came out first with a humungous smile on her face. George and Alex came out a split second later laughing the whole way.

Storm Slides – We were going to go on these right after Humunga Kowabunga but it was close to lunch time so we decided to save it for later. Unfortunately we forgot all about it and didn’t get back to them, nor Shark Reef which was right beside it, nor did we walk thru the Mountain Trail. Those are all next times!

At lunch time we decided to head towards Leaning Palms. We grabbed the standards, burgers and pizzas and headed back to our table where the table thieves had previously been thwarted. Cookies saved for later, we headed back to more of all the fun.

Ketchakiddie Creek – this is the children’s area which I would guestimate is best served for kids around seven and under. It has slides and a tiny raft ride, playground type toys with the water jets and what have you. Demetri didn’t spend a whole lot of time here because he wanted to go on the big boy rides!

Eventually it was time to head over to Crush ‘n’ Gusher which we wanted to accomplish before getting ready to leave for Chef Mickey. George had been sun worshiping most of the afternoon and hung back to swim with Demetri in the little pool area at the end of Crush ‘n’ Gusher so he could switch off after I went on. You pick up your two or three person boat at the bottom and carry it up the stairs. The line was short and continuously moving so in no time we were right on. Alex was a single rider and I went on with Ariana. I did not enjoy this ride at all! Next time I will try it as a single rider because I found it completely awkward to sit behind Ariana comfortably. My back (and butt) kept smashing into the ride as we were going down because of the way I was sitting and it hurt! But I figure it was just me and next time will be better…..

Next it was my turn to swim with Demetri in the pool while George went with the kids on Crush ‘n’ Gusher. I warned him about my experience but he came off saying it was a hoot – short but a hoot and didn’t have the same problem I did. Yep, must of just been me. Knowing we were all done with Typhoon Lagoon, we took our time walking back to the table gathering our belongings. We went back to Singapore Sal’s where we’d gotten the locker and life jacket from and I saw the coolest shirt. I really wish I’d bought it and I saw it two more times on our trip but still I didn’t get it. It was the Nemo seagulls saying Mine! Mine! Mine! Wonder if the Disney Store online sells it?

We were heading over to the bus area when I notice George is looking a little peckish. He’d been pretty good about keeping up with the sun screen like the rest of us, but he burns quite easily after his teenage slumber-in-the-sun episode back in the day. He was not feeling very good and decided to head back to the Pop while the rest of us went to our Chef Mickey dinner. He felt bad missing it, but realized he would feel much better taking it easy the rest of the night than to force it through dinner. So after a little more coaxing from him, he hopped the bus back to the Pop while the kids and I grabbed one to the Contemporary.

We love Chef Mickeys!

Our first trip was the dinner buffet and our second was the breakfast. We much prefer the dinner and have so many fabulous memories from that first trip that we were eager to get back and relive them and invent some more! They’d done some renovations since the last time we were there and the new set up was great. There was no line up for the Chef Mickey pictures so we posed while the picture man graciously used my camera to take the picture....

Too bad he didn’t zoom in…. see how pink we all are?

I’d explained we were now a party of four and it was no problem to change it. Less than 5 minutes later we were led to our table… right in the section Angie sat in. Not quite by the window, that would have been a lovely view, but in that general area. Our autograph book at the ready, we loaded up our plates and quickly came back to our table to await the gang.

CONTINUED IN NEXT POST.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:57 PM   #242
Mickey_Mom
DIS Veteran

First to arrive? Minnie!

Not long after was Pluto....

Always makes me laugh!

Next was the Big Cheese himself and everyone wanted in on the picture together this time….

I looked at the picture after this one and asked Alex what was wrong, he didn’t look happy. He looked at the picture and shook his head and said “That’s just my smile Mom. I’m having a great time!”

Right after Mickey left, Goofy arrived…

See that little boy there Alex? THAT’S how you smile! Just kidding!

Donald arrived shortly after….

And then it was napkin twirling time! Ariana decided to teach our area the finer techniques involved in the flicking of the wrist.....

Seeing this picture reminds me…. I need new dining room furniture, LOL!

Dinner finished, we’d now come to the part of the dinner we were most looking forward to. On our first trip, Alex raided the sundae bar and created a concoction that he so loved, he dubbed it the ultimate jube-jube sundae that he raves about to this day.

Today was not about recreating the jube-jube sundae, but topping it. Could it be done? We each went to the sundae bar and created our own masterpieces.

Which one do you like the best?

Ariana’s…..

Demetri’s…..

Alex’s….

Or mine? ….

Strangely, they all look pretty similar.

While eating his 2009 sundae, I asked Alex to pose as he did for his 2006 sundae. He was laughing too much, he couldn’t do it.

An hour and a half later it was time to head out.

We took the monorail to the Magic Kingdom to catch the bus pack to the Pop. What a nice ride that was, I almost wanted to go a full loop and go around a second time. We had the car to ourselves so it was wonderfully quiet….. the lights of the resorts were reflecting off the water… the sky was beautifully clear of clouds….. the Magic Kingdom was softly aglow… .. sigh.

We briefly contemplated running inside MK to catch Wishes, but we were anxious to get back to George to see how he was doing and we had another MK day coming up soon.

A few shots while we were waiting….

Wouldn’t you know it, the bus pulled up just as Wishes got started and I was able to grab just one quick pic....

A very sleep boy being carried to our rooms….

George was snoozing and watching TV. He’d gotten something small to eat at the food court a little while after getting back but was more or less drinking lots of water. He still wasn’t feeling quite himself but loved hearing about our evening. It was a great ending to an otherwise really, really fun day.

Favorites and Not-So-Favorites:

ALEX:
Chef Mickey!
Nothing!

ARIANA:
Chef Mickey!
Nothing!

DEMETRI:
Keelhaul Falls!
Not being tall enough for Crush ‘n’ Gusher

Next up: Ohana means FAMILY and Alia means WAIT!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-05-2009, 09:37 PM   #243
jordanyosh
DIS Veteran

Typhoon Lagoon...I love your explanations of each thing you did! It helped give us a visual!

Castaway Creek IS Heaven.

Chef Mickeys--it seems people love this place. Its on our short list for our trip this Feb.

I hope George is okay.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:38 PM   #244
ZeroToHero
DIS Veteran

Woahhhh!!!! Alex looks soooo young! (Granted, it had been 3 years) but wow!

Maybe it's just that after a certain point, you don't look much different?

I feel old!

Also, now I really want to do a waterpark! Are the lines for things about as long as for headliners at the 4 parks, or shorter? What is a "long" line to you?

And I've never done Chef Mickey's either! All these new things I need to do! I feel like there's not enough time, but in reality, it just means we need to keep going back!
Old 10-06-2009, 12:46 AM   #245
JPFamilyMom
DIS Veteran

Location: That place between sleep and awake, where you can still remember dreaming

I was planning a breakfast at Chef Mickeys but your post has me considering a dinner there : Will have to ponder this thought for awhile, I have plenty of time of course.

Glad you all had a fun day at Typhoon Lagoon, sorry about George, yep that was like our day, poor guy.

Can't wait to see what you did next
June 2004:ASsports -honeymoon Jan 2011: Kidani -Spectrum Moms take on the World March 2011: rental house- boys first trip Sept 2012: AoA-Cars Suite -UFT (ultimate field trip) Sept 2013: AoA-Lion King suite- MNSSHP May 2014:ASsports- Star Wars Weekends December 2014: POP- Tis the season to be jolly

Old 10-06-2009, 07:06 AM   #246
wdwgirl03
I'm just a big Disney Freak! :-)
I will throw a party the day I get a tag!!!
I am pretty wimpy when it comes to thrill rides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_Mom View Post
Storm Slides – We were going to go on these right after Humunga Kowabunga but it was close to lunch time so we decided to save it for later. Unfortunately we forgot all about it and didn’t get back to them, nor [COLOR="black"]Shark Reef which was right beside it, nor did we walk thru the Mountain Trail. Those are all next times!
If the Storm Slides are the ones I am remembering, you didn't really miss anything. They seemed really short to us, especially compared to all the slides at Blizzard Beach.

Looks like you had fun at Chef Mickey's! I'd like to eat there one day.
'91-Disney villas '93, '95, '97, '99, '01, '02-Polynesian '03-All Star Sports '05-All Star Movies; offsite- Universal/Disney Oct. '06, Dec. '07/Jan. '08-Saratoga Springs May '08-Animal Kingdom Lodge Dec. '08-Beach Club Villas Aug. '09-Villas @ the Wilderness Lodge April '10-Kidani Village Aug. '10-Saratoga Springs Mar. '11-Old Key West Oct. '11-Saratoga Springs April '12-Boardwalk Villas April '13-Bay Lake Tower Aug. '13-Pop Century Dec. '13-Saratoga Springs April '14-Pop Century UPCOMING TRIP: Dec. '14-DISNEYLAND!!!
*DVC member since 2006*

Disneyland- '04, '06

Check out my past TRs: Mar./April '11 Oct. '11 CURRENT TR: APRIL '13 TR APRIL '13 PTR facebook Twitter/Instagram:mugirl0307
Old 10-06-2009, 08:28 AM   #247
Angies1274
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all the info at TL!! The lazy river sounds like something I would definitely enjoy!! I'm glad everyone had a great day!! But, I'm sorry that your DH didn't feel well and had to miss Chef Mickey's.

Yay!!!! Chef Mickey's!!! We love Chef Mickey's too!!! and double YAY! for sitting in the same area that we did!!! I think we have sat in every area there and we liked that section the best.

Okay, it's only 9:00am and I want one of those sundaes!!! They look so yummy!!!

Great character pics!! I love Demetri's smile--so adorable!!--and how can you not get a picture of Pluto signing the autograph books?--too cute!!!

Old 10-06-2009, 11:47 AM   #248
Mickey_Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanyosh View Post
Typhoon Lagoon...I love your explanations of each thing you did! It helped give us a visual!

Castaway Creek IS Heaven.

Chef Mickeys--it seems people love this place. Its on our short list for our trip this Feb.

I hope George is okay.
Everything about CM is cool... the decor, the giant mural, the gliding monorails.... and the food is delish. You'll love it. Oh, I forgot to mention..... no birds this time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroToHero View Post
Woahhhh!!!! Alex looks soooo young! (Granted, it had been 3 years) but wow!

Maybe it's just that after a certain point, you don't look much different?

I feel old!

You feel old?! Once he turned 11 yrs old, whew..... he grew up before my eyes sooooo quickly.

Also, now I really want to do a waterpark! Are the lines for things about as long as for headliners at the 4 parks, or shorter? What is a "long" line to you?

I thought the lines were fairly short all day actually. With Ariana's GAC I've only ever experienced lines at the 4 parks like a fast pass would give you and I can't remember the TL lines being any longer than that. Highly recommend you two go!

And I've never done Chef Mickey's either! All these new things I need to do! I feel like there's not enough time, but in reality, it just means we need to keep going back!
CM is a must do for us every time we go! As long as you're able, keep that 'next time' mentality so you don't try to jam too much in or leave disappointed that you missed something. It took me three trips to reach that epiphany and now I know I'm a life time member of the Disney club!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPFamilyMom View Post
I was planning a breakfast at Chef Mickeys but your post has me considering a dinner there : Will have to ponder this thought for awhile, I have plenty of time of course.

We really prefer the dinner but I also think a lot of that comes from the memories of our first ever time there. Our sundae contest fun is of course applicable only at dinner time!

Glad you all had a fun day at Typhoon Lagoon, sorry about George, yep that was like our day, poor guy.

Can't wait to see what you did next
Oh yeah! Geez. Big, strong guys melting in the sun.
Old 10-06-2009, 12:00 PM   #249
Lady Lallie
DIS Veteran

Those are some of the best explanations of rides I have ever seen at one of the water parks! Thanks!

I have never eaten at Chef Mickey's but it looks like so much fun!

Too bad George had to miss it!
Old 10-06-2009, 12:02 PM   #250
Mickey_Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwgirl03 View Post
If the Storm Slides are the ones I am remembering, you didn't really miss anything. They seemed really short to us, especially compared to all the slides at Blizzard Beach.

Looks like you had fun at Chef Mickey's! I'd like to eat there one day.
Ah, but it was left undone so I must go back and do it. Then I'll go on Castaway Creek the rest of the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angies1274 View Post
Thanks for all the info at TL!! The lazy river sounds like something I would definitely enjoy!! I'm glad everyone had a great day!! But, I'm sorry that your DH didn't feel well and had to miss Chef Mickey's.

Yeah, he didn't have much luck at both waterparks......

Yay!!!! Chef Mickey's!!! We love Chef Mickey's too!!! and double YAY! for sitting in the same area that we did!!! I think we have sat in every area there and we liked that section the best.

Our proximity to the sundae bar was perfect!

Okay, it's only 9:00am and I want one of those sundaes!!! They look so yummy!!!

Great character pics!! I love Demetri's smile--so adorable!!--and how can you not get a picture of Pluto signing the autograph books?--too cute!!!
Demetri asked me last night, "When are we going back Mommy? I think we need another calendar."
Old 10-06-2009, 12:15 PM   #251
Mickey_Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lallie View Post
Those are some of the best explanations of rides I have ever seen at one of the water parks! Thanks!

I have never eaten at Chef Mickey's but it looks like so much fun!

Too bad George had to miss it!
Thanks! I'm glad we added the water parks & more option this time, it worked out great.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:42 PM   #252
KathyRN137
...and the greatest of these is Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_Mom View Post

That smile just says it all!

Sweet pic of big brother carrying him, too.

TL sounds like so much fun... I'm wondering if I should schedule a day there... BTW, I'm certain my butt would feel the same way on Crush 'N Gusher! Ow!

Give me the lazy river any day!

Looking forward to `Ohana...

Kathy
Old 10-06-2009, 11:09 PM   #253
Mickey_Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyRN137 View Post
That smile just says it all!

Sweet pic of big brother carrying him, too.

TL sounds like so much fun... I'm wondering if I should schedule a day there... BTW, I'm certain my butt would feel the same way on Crush 'N Gusher! Ow!

Give me the lazy river any day!

Looking forward to `Ohana...

Kathy
My plan, after December 2010, is to go back to WDW after the Fantasyland renos are done. Then, TL/BB would take the place of my 'resort down day'. It was such a relaxing, fun, fun day. Except for my butt.
Old 10-06-2009, 11:33 PM   #254
jordanyosh
DIS Veteran

Chef Mickeys is currently on the ADR list....... I don't think I'll be joining my family as I will not be on the DDP, but the QSDP.... thank god no birds!

Let's take a little break....imagine yourself on Castaway Creek....ahhhhhhh....
Old 10-06-2009, 11:56 PM   #255
MousekaMaddi
DIS Veteran

Talking thx 4 the report

fabulous job----adorable kids!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: