Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2009, 01:21 AM   #1
BlueBayou
Stop trolling, and reel 'er in!

Has WDW changed since 1976? - The unread pre-trippie

I can’t believe I am counting down for a trip to Walt Disney World. I have wanted to go for so long.

I have been twice. The year after the park opened was my first visit. We stayed off site. I don’t have any memories. The last time I went was the bicentennial, we stayed at the Contemporary, I had a broken thumb – so Mickey signed my cast.

I remember getting in trouble for getting my cast wet (the bread bag slipped) and I also recall being hit in the head by one of the three little pigs. Were the three little pigs really at Walt Disney World? All I know is the pig arm that clubbed me on the head (and taught me that characters can’t see well) really hurt! But despite being hit upside the head – I LOVED WDW. I remember the smell of POTC and looking at the hair on the pirate’s leg. The ghost ‘hitchhiking’ in my doom buggy (of course, pre-DIS I had no idea it was a ‘doom buggy’ I just thought it was a ride vehicle)

The cast is off. I am all grown up and I married with kids of my own. We are Disneyland vets and know DL and DCA like the backs of our hands. I am comfortable there. I point other guests with small children doing the ‘I need to pee’ dance in the direction of the bathroom without a line in Fantasyland.

But now that I am headed to WDW I am totally lost. A fish out water. This is NOT my comfort zone.

I have dreamed, plotted, schemed for this trip for years (DH is a fun loving, have a great time at Disney type of guy – but giving all our money to the mouse is another matter). But now that it is here – I am asking myself “What the heck do I do now.”

I have fooled myself into thinking I have been planning this trip for years. After I booked the room (FOFQ) and package (MYW PH and Free Dining) using a PIN I got in the mail… I realized I had never really ‘planned’ a darn thing. In 8+ years – I pretty much figured out what hotel I would stay in depending on budget. Eight years and that is all I came up with???? I need to go to planning 101.

I had 7 empty days staring me in the face and I had no idea what to do?

What day was I going to go to what park? There are FOUR theme parks (plus H2O parks and other attractions) to choose from. Could I keep myself out of the parks enough to justify spending money on a non-value property?

Yikes – I booked after the 90 mark. It’s free dining, will I get any ADRs?

Okay, where do I begin? Let’s start with a cast of characters.

Me – Early 40s – Loves the way Disney makes me feel.

DH – Early 40s – Great dad and wonderful husband. Sometimes feels stressed when things aren’t going just right. Loves all different types of foods (is more adventurous than me) and is willing to try most anything.

DD8 (will be DD9 by trip time) – My night owl. Loves Disney and is helping me plan. I caught her reading a guide book in the bathroom the other day.

DD6 – My morning gal. She up for most thrill rides. She does not like Space Mountain. She had been on it twice. Has not wanted to try TofT.

When - 8 nights in October.

Up Next: What plans I have so far. I am open for suggestions… hint, hint.

Our Oct 2009 Dream trip with bumps in the road

Has WDW changed since 1976? - POFQ Oct '09 Pre-Trippie

WDW 2 times in '70's & Oct '09, Disneyland '79, '99, '00, April '01, '02, Dec. '04, June '05, Dec '05, Oct. '06, Oct. '07, Oct. '08, May '10, Oct 11, Oct 12, Oct 13

Last edited by BlueBayou; 09-13-2009 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:06 AM   #2
BlueBayou

I sure hope some people find my last minute panic with sheer terror interesting.

When last I left you – I had 7 totally empty days at WDW on a calendar staring me in the face.

Where to begin? Well my DD8 is NOT a morning person. My DD6 is NOT a night person. But is not like she just falls asleep – her behavior just begins to deteriorate after 6pm or so at night.

My DD8 really is into animals. She does Zoo Camp etc. She really wanted to stay at AKL – but that is not in my budget. She has her heart set on going to AK first. So I am letting that guide our plans.

We arrive late Saturday. I figure we will go to the pool.

Sunday we will go to AK. I have an early evening ADR booked at AKL’s Boma.

Monday – ADR for a late breakfast at Crystal Palace. I have heard that if you are not going to take advantage of early EMHs… it is a good idea to go to the park that had evening EMH the night before. That is why we are at MK this day.

Tuesday I have a early dinner booked at 50s Prime Time Café. I want to try and watch Fantasmic. We have never caught it at Disneyland. This is actually the first ADR I booked.

Wednesday – Will be ready for a break from the parks? I just don’t know.

Thursday – Early dinner at Les Chefs de France. This is something my DD8 wants.

But beyond that – no other plans. I still have 4 TS ADRs to book . I also need to get ideas/plans for counter service. Not to mention figuring out what parks to go to on what days.

So much to do... so little time...

WDW 2 times in '70's & Oct '09, Disneyland '79, '99, '00, April '01, '02, Dec. '04, June '05, Dec '05, Oct. '06, Oct. '07, Oct. '08, May '10, Oct 11, Oct 12, Oct 13
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-28-2009, 11:29 AM   #3
BlueBayou

So now I am trying to figure out if I should book something extra. Like the Desert Buffet for Wishes or MNSSHP?

I don't want to spend the extra money - but will I feel like I am missing out if I don't? Of the two - I would lean toward the desert buffet.

Does anybody have any thoughts about it?

Old 08-29-2009, 02:14 PM   #4
BlueBayou

I was excited when a letter from the WDW travel company arrived in the mail.

It was just a one page itinerary - not the exciting packet with ME tags etc. But it was one more sign that this trip is really happening.

My DD8 and I are the planners. I can see my husband's eyes glaze over when I try and talk about the plans. But today, when I said I still had 4 table service ADRs to book, he said. "You know I am adventurous when it comes to food and I like seafood." Now I don't like much seafood, except boiled shrimp, so booking a seafood restaurant was not top of my list. But I am certainly not opposed to the idea.

So I am going to look into maybe the Coral Reef or something like that. I also am leaning toward Whispering Canyon.

One thing about my plans which concerns me... I don't appear to be taking advantage of EMH at all.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:52 AM   #5
BlueBayou

Hi!

I have made two more ADRs - a late lunch at Whispering Canyon on Wednesday and am early lunch on Thursday at Coral Reef.

One silly thing I am trying to decide how to handle - the kids luggage. Normally we let them pack their own suitcases - but with the airline charging per-bag, I think I want to just pack one large bag for the two of them. Both of their bags are small enough to qualify as carry-ons - but I don't think I want to deal with two extra carry-ons in the airport.

At first they were shocked that they might not get their own suitcases - but they are becoming more comfortable with the idea.

Old 08-30-2009, 10:13 AM   #6
Gabes_mommy
Hoping to convert her DS into a fellow Disney fanatic

You are going to love POFQ! It is my favorite moderate at WDW.

Can't wait to read more!
Old 08-30-2009, 03:23 PM   #7
BlueBayou

Gabes_mommy - Thanks for posting! So you have been to POFQ? Do you have any suggestions for room requests? I have heard that all rooms are pretty close to everything.

Old 08-30-2009, 03:58 PM   #8
Gabes_mommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBayou View Post
Gabes_mommy - Thanks for posting! So you have been to POFQ? Do you have any suggestions for room requests? I have heard that all rooms are pretty close to everything.
Yes, we have stayed at POFQ for our last 4 trips. I am making myself try something new for our next trip, but I love POFQ!

It is only 7 buildings total and we have stayed in both Building 1 and Building 7 - which are at the far ends of the property, but they are still only about a 5 minute walk from the food court and the pool. During our last trip we were in Building 4 and it was perfect! It is right next to the food court and the pool so I recommemd requesting Building 4 if you like to be close.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:39 PM   #9
BlueBayou

Yipee - the trip is moving forward. I got the travel documents and the Magical Express yellow tags in the mail. Two more things to make this dream trip seem real!

Here are the plans so far. All I have done is make ADRs. So I have and idea of what park we will probably be in on what days. But it is all fluid.

Sunday - Early dinner at Boma (AKL)
Monday - Late breakfast at Crystal Palace (MK)
Tuesday - Early dinner 50's Prime Time Cafe (DHS)
Wednesday - Lunch Whispering Canyon (WL)
Thursday - Early Lunch Coral Reef (Epcot) - Early Dinner Les Chefs de France (Epcot)
Friday - ????
Saturday - ?????

Old 09-10-2009, 09:21 AM   #10
BlueBayou

We hit the one month mark!!!!

We are a month away from heading to WDW. The boring planning details are underway (Get flu shots, get hair cuts etc).

I still don't have my final two ADRs booked. I just don't know where we are going to want to be on those final days.

I did get something else in the mail from Disney Destinations. It is a customized welcome note, park maps and some flyers. I think they came because I did a little travel itinerary on waltdisneyworld.com.

Off to count down the days....

Last edited by BlueBayou; 09-10-2009 at 09:27 AM.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:33 AM   #11
BlueBayou

I finally booked the final two table service ADRs. I figure we can adjust once we get there if we don't want to be in those parks on those days.

I think we will probably do the parks I have picked on the frist 4 days, but for the final 3 days it will be filling in what we missed and park hopping.

I made lunch ADRs for San Angel Inn and Teppan Ido for the final two ADRs.

It's hard to believe we are less than 30 days away now.

Old 09-13-2009, 11:38 AM   #12
Gabes_mommy

Those sound like fun ADRs - I really want to try San Angel Inn sometime soon.
Old 09-14-2009, 10:50 PM   #13
BlueBayou

My husband had a funny conversation with somebody at work today. My DH mentioned that he was going to WDW and this co-worker said that he should make some dinner reservations.

My DH said that his wife was all over that!

I tried to see if she had any other suggestions... but my husband just said. "Nah... I don't think that she is as into it as you are."

Old 09-15-2009, 12:11 AM   #14
disneyaddicted
DIS Veteran

Coral Reef is my all time favorite place to eat at WDW. I like the dinner menu better then the lunch, although both are great. Their steaks are so scrumptous, on the dinner menu they have snow crab and it was to die for. The chocolate wave is a must try, I kid you not!!!!!

in my opinion Crystal Palace has the best breakfast buffet. 50's Prime time is a fun place to eat.

I have never eaten at Whispering Canyon, it's on my itinerary for my upcoming trip. I plan to have my friend ask for the ketchup, she is Disney clueless. lol

I'm excited for you all, wow, less then a month to go now. The excitement must be eating you alive. I feel excited for you. Have a great trip.

Ty

This freezing weather is crampin my style A Dec 2010 TR
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....5#post39318035
][IMG]
Old 09-15-2009, 12:27 AM   #15
cascarlet
Mouseketeer

Hello!! Die Hard Disneylander here! You are going to love WDW!! It's so different then DL and better in some ways, and not better in other ways, but still soooo fun!! (Did that make sense..it's late) I felt exactly like you did before I went for the first time with my family.

Take a look at my trip report from 05. It's the Californians POV link in my siggie. I didn't finish my TR, but they first 3 days you'll see how I compare it to DL. I look forward to reading more about your trip.

I don't know about WDW because I always went to DL when I was a child, but I always remember the three pigs being there and the big bad wolf and he was rather scary!! I think I might have some pics somewhere..lol.

I'm in!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: