Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2009, 06:41 PM   #1
sueandkent
Wishes to vacation more and work less!

VERY, VERY Dining Confused!

We are new to Disneyworld, never been and pretty much know nothing about it. Quite honestly, these boards are very overwhelming with information (which is good but yet mind boggling). This trip is just my DH (45) and me (45). We did not take the free dining option, in case this information is of value to my question.
So here goes, we really just want to eat. We don't much care about characters or the such. Should we be planning this now Our idea of a vacation is to just go with the flow, eat and sleep when we feel like it. Do you have any suggestions on where is nice for two adults to have meals. We're talking moderate priced meals, not expensive romantic stuff. Is there any meal activity that shouldn't be missed (and that would appeal to two adults).
P.S. I don't really like kids much and yes, I am aware I've chosen to go to Disneyworld but I wanted to see it too so I'm prepared for all the over-hyped youngsters. ANy help on more appropriate for adults or can't miss dining is greatly appreciated. Sorry to ramble on!
Old 08-26-2009, 06:51 PM   #2
pumba
DIS PUMBARIZER
I have a smile on my face a mile wide
Let’s just say that Mr. Feeney came out “well done”

DISboards Moderator

There are plenty of times just hubby and myself have gone to Disney and it can be mind boggling.....I do think you should look over the dining restaurants on the dining page which is at the top of this page .....and look at what the restaurants have to offer....and here is a link to our adults and solo doing disney.......hope this helps..

http://disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54

and here is the dining reservation on line and you can look at the choices in each park.
http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/

pumba is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-26-2009, 07:08 PM   #3
iloveeeyore
DIS Veteran

Where are you staying? Which parks are you visiting? We always try to plan our itinerary, figure out what parks we'll be at on which days, THEN figure out where we're going to eat. You may or may not be willing to go out of your way for a restaurant...there may be something totally exceptable right where you are!

Some restaurants that aren't soooo popular with families with kids are Restaurant Marakesh (Morocco pavilion in Epcot), Yachtsman's Steakhouse (Yacht Club resort). Maybe The Wave (in Contemporary Resort) or Hollywood Brown Derby (Hollywood Studios)? We enjoyed a really nice meal at Artist Point in Wilderness Lodge in 2008...I wouldn't personally call most of these "moderately priced."

Check out allears.net for descriptions and menus including prices. Happy planning!

With DH and DKs - CR TPV, CSR, AKL CL, WL CY, Poly GV (x3), Poly GVC, Courtyard by Marriott DTD, CBR
Numerous trips as kids to CR, Poly, Golf Resort
iloveeeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:28 PM   #4
sueandkent
Wishes to vacation more and work less!

Thanks for the allears.net link, that really cleared up some of my confusion. Very good information on there. So here is my next question, we would be more interested in resturants like some of these in downtown disney:
Planet Hollywood
Portobello
Wolfgang Puck
House of Blues
Surely we can walk up, put our name down and eventually eat? Keep in mind, DH and I usually eat while on vacation at 7 to 8 pm or later. It would be later on the nights where there is a parade or fireworks. We would just have a snack and then eat later. Do we still need to plan all this ahead?
Old 08-26-2009, 07:41 PM   #5
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sueandkent View Post
Thanks for the allears.net link, that really cleared up some of my confusion. Very good information on there. So here is my next question, we would be more interested in resturants like some of these in downtown disney:
Planet Hollywood
Portobello
Wolfgang Puck
House of Blues
Surely we can walk up, put our name down and eventually eat? Keep in mind, DH and I usually eat while on vacation at 7 to 8 pm or later. It would be later on the nights where there is a parade or fireworks. We would just have a snack and then eat later. Do we still need to plan all this ahead?
The places you've listed are not the high demand restaurants that fill up within minutes of booking opening. HOWEVER, if you are going during free dining, having an ADR is still a must. Most of the restaurants IN the parks will not be taking walk-ups at all, regardless of how long you are willing to wait. This will probably shift more traffic to these DTD locations. Bottom line: If you want to eat, have an ADR. And since your booking window has been open for several weeks, it needs to be sooner rather than later.....
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:41 PM   #6
pooch
I feel so special now!!

given the popularity

of dining plans, I would never go without reservations if you want to eat at a sitdown restaurant. Now that is not to say that you COULDN'T get seated for a late dinner especially at the DTD locations as a walkup but its also VERY possible that you get turned away.

I would suggest making at least a few reservations so that you aren't totally shut out. If you change your mind later, you can always cancel. I'd rather have them & not use them than need them & not have them.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:13 PM   #7
TillyMarigold
DIS Veteran

If you don't mind eating late, since it's just the two of you, you should be able to decide where you want to eat a couple weeks beforehand, as long as you're willing to be flexible (i.e. don't necessarily expect to be able to eat anywhere you want, but a good few places should be available). You might even be able to call that morning and see what's available, if you're really willing to go anywhere.
TillyMarigold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:14 PM   #8
DisneyLover83
DIS Veteran

My DH and I have found that if you want a more "kid-less" dining experience you need to eat late at night and aim for some of the signature restaurants or DTD places like the House of Blues. I have also personally found that if you are willing to eat at some of the less popular or well know establishments you can get reservations a few weeks out. I just made an ADR for Flying Fish on 10/13 today.

2007- All Star Music, 2008- POFQ, 2009- POFQ, 2010- AKL, 2011 - POFQ & CSR, 2012- POFQ & CSR, 2013- YC, 2014- POFQ
DisneyLover83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 05:28 AM   #9
ScottishMickeyFan
Mouseketeer

Your choices look good other than Planet Hollywood,, personaly we found it loud (extremely) and service rushed,, the food was good but just general atmosphere was not plesent, but then we were on an upper balcony, we did do a walk up and wait about 20 mins in the bar area but was very busy,, middle of June so i did expect it, i like to make my own impressions of an establishment even if it has had bad reviews as we dont enter with any high expectations but this place was not great

Saying that we very rarely have bad experiances on property but i would always try and get an ADR if i could, i know it does not always work though as you may change plans for were you will be day to day, but i plan down to the hour for each of the 14 days im there, we come so far i want to get as much seen and done as possible.

You going on a cruise too?
2007 Caribbean Beach Resort
2004 Orlando International Resort Int` Drive
1994 Holiday Inn Int` Drive
1993 Comfort Inn
1992 Cant remember this one
1991 Howard Johnston
1990 Holiday Inn Int` Drive
ScottishMickeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:24 AM   #10
Evan&Kimberly
Kim&Evan

Me and my 3yr old son went to WDW for the first time last year and I tell you what, these boards will have you with so much knowledge that I was armed with information as if I was a Disney vet!, and in your situation you really don’t need that much help since your Disney experience is a little different than many, so I will give you some suggestions first no matter what you do

1. Call the Disney Dining line and make your reservations as soon as possible this will insure you will have somewhere to eat with minimal wait

2. If you want to avoid the children aspect of dining than you’re on the right
Track for eating later but if you’re going to WDW during free dining it will
Be hard to avoid many children even in the later evening

3. Here goes my suggestions if you can get ressies at the places that do not
accept the Disney Dining Plan that will help out, or those
Signature restaurants they will be your best option

4. My restaurant picks would be The Wave,
Grand Floridian Cafe
House of Blues
Narcooses
Fresh

5. If you have a car consider eating off property it will save you a bunch of
Money!

P.S. check out the reviews on where you want to eat at allears dot net website this is a huge help!
Evan&Kimberly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:34 AM   #11
Fantasmiss
DIS Veteran

CORAL REEF!! Without doubt
May 2008 - WDW - All Star Sports - 2 weeks
Jan 2009 - WDW - All Star Music + All Star Movies - 2 weeks - birthday trip
Feb/Mar 2010 - DLP - Santa Fe - 6 days
Jan 2011 - WDW - All Star Movies & Pop Century - 17 days - birthday trip
May 2011 - WDW - All Star Sports - 17 days - anniversary trip
Nov 2011 - DLP - Hotel Cheyenne - 6 days
Oct/Nov 2012 - WDW - All Star Sports+Art of Animation - 3 weeks - 10th Disney Trip
Oct/Nov 2013 - WDW - All Star Sports - 25 days - birthday trip
MAR 2014 - DLP - Hotel Cheyenne - 5 days- birthday trip

MAY 2014 - WDW - ALL STAR SPORTS - 17 DAYS - ANNIVERSARY TRIP!

Fantasmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:40 AM   #12
Evan&Kimberly
Kim&Evan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasmiss View Post
CORAL REEF!! Without doubt
Coral Reef gets a bad wrap, but I wouldn’t leave Disney without eating at Coral Reef or Lecelliar! Coral Reef is a good suggestion if they could get one of the early lunches it is nice and quiet well it was last September during free dining we were leaving when the crowd was building up! I think our ressie was at 11am or 11:30am cant remember
Evan&Kimberly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 07:40 AM   #13
wezee
Am I cheating on my husband, if I have dreams about Mickey Mouse?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan&Kimberly View Post
Coral Reef gets a bad wrap, but I wouldn’t leave Disney without eating at Coral Reef or Lecelliar! Coral Reef is a good suggestion if they could get one of the early lunches it is nice and quiet well it was last September during free dining we were leaving when the crowd was building up! I think our ressie was at 11am or 11:30am cant remember
Last Sept. DH and I took his parents to Coral Reef for lunch...and it was a mad house. We had a table by the tank, though we did not request it, and I had young children climbing all over my chair to get up close to the aquarium. I would pass on CR and maybe try for an ADR for Raglan Road in DTD for a more adult adventure, with a moderate price range.
DH and I have never tried House of Blues, but think it might also be a good adult choice.

Next Magical Moment: Sept. 2013
March 1995 Off site, Feb 2000 POFQ, March 2006 POFQ (25th Anniv.)March 2007 POFQ, Oct. 2007 POFQ, Sept. 2008 POFQ, Oct. 2009 POFQ, March 2010 POFQ,Sept 2010 POFQ, Feb 2011 POFQ, Oct. 2011 POFQ (30th Anniv.)., POFQ Sept 2012,
wezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:00 AM   #14
Princess Disney Mom
DIS Veteran

Do not miss Wolfgang Puck Express in DTD. Great prices for great food.

Stay away from Character meals. Check out dining options on the Boardwalk. I didn't see to many little ones at the resturants that do not take ADR's.

Eat later.
2006 - CR X 2/ DoubleTree WDW/ POFQ/ Music Resort
2007 - POP X 3/ Double Tree WDW
2008 - Disneyland/ BoardWalk / Off Site WDW
2009 - Offsite/Doubletree at WDW/CR/Boardwalk
2010 - Disneyland/ Doubletree WDW/HBC/ Music Resort
2011 - Hilton Bonnet Creek/ Port Orleans Riverside
2012 - Hilton Bonnet Creek
2013- Disneyland / Grand Floridian
2014 - Offsite/ Grand Floridian
Princess Disney Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:01 AM   #15
CAJUNWDWFAN
Do or Do Not, There is No Try!

You also mentioned eating late after fireworks. Usually the parks close after the fireworks so I don't think you will be able to do that.

Disney Trips: 20 Trips and Counting!)
Grand Floridian Dec.-2013
Beach Club Dec.-2009, April 2014 (Stone Harbor Club twice!)
Polynesian Resort April-2009 (Honeymoon!) Sept.-2013
Coronado Springs May-2003, Nov.-2006, June-2008, April-2012
Wilderness Lodge Dec.-2005, Oct.-2011
Port Orleans 1994, Port Orleans Riverside Oct.-2007, May-2013
Numerous trips as a kid to (Contemporary/Polynesian) (1977, 1978, 1980, 1983, 1986, 1987)
CAJUNWDWFAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: