Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2009, 04:08 PM   #1
mad hatter fan
DIS Veteran

Next June trip - crowds and block out dates question

Hi all,

DH and I just returned from our first no kids trip. We had a blast and were not bothered too much by the high crowds.

Now I want to plan our next family trip. I was hoping for the end of June. Does anyone find it odd that one of the SoCal passes are blocked out June 23rd- 26th and then are let back in for most of the next week? The cheapest SoCal pass is bocked out from the 23rd on.

Ok, so I assume that the 4 days from the 23rd -26th would be good days to go. We would probably want 5 day passes. We will be in the area for a whole week. So if we got at least 3 of our 5 days in when both SoCal passes are blocked out and then 2 days the next week when only 1 of them is blocked out, do you think we would be doing ok for crowds?

I am editing to clarify that we do not want an AP of any kind. We just want to avoid the extra crowds that occur just before blocked out periods.

DLR July 02 DLR Jan 04 DLR Dec 04 WDW CR Jan 06 DLR Jan 07 WDW POR Jan 08 DLR Dec 08 DLR "Just the Two of Us" Aug 09 DLR just me and DS9 May 09 WDW POR Oct 2010 DLR June 2011 just DH and DD
Disneyland July 2012 DLR Mar 2013 Just DS17 and I POR March 2014

Last edited by mad hatter fan; 08-26-2009 at 04:38 PM.
mad hatter fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 04:15 PM   #2
SpoiledDisFam
Earning My Ears

I have been once at the end of June and I can honestly say that I would probably never go at that time of year again. It can be hot and very crowded. It really isn't the locals you need to worry about but everyone else.

I also noticed you were not from SoCal. Unless, you have a zip code from certain areas they will not issue you a SoCal AP.

Glad to hear you had a good time without the kids!!! That sounds like a dream come true for me!

Next Trip: DLR VGC Oct

WDW 6/09- OKW
WDW 6/06- Offsite

DLR - TOO many to count.
SpoiledDisFam is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-26-2009, 04:41 PM   #3
mad hatter fan
DIS Veteran

I want to clarify that we do not want an Annual Pass. I was asking about the crowd levels associated with approaching blackout dates.

Also, June shouldn't be any hotter than August which we have experienced. Besides, summer is our only option this next year even though I prefer the off season.

DLR July 02 DLR Jan 04 DLR Dec 04 WDW CR Jan 06 DLR Jan 07 WDW POR Jan 08 DLR Dec 08 DLR "Just the Two of Us" Aug 09 DLR just me and DS9 May 09 WDW POR Oct 2010 DLR June 2011 just DH and DD
Disneyland July 2012 DLR Mar 2013 Just DS17 and I POR March 2014
mad hatter fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:07 PM   #4
3Minnies1Mickey
Just wanted to add, this is no longer a rumor

Looks like Disney learned from this year about crowd levels right before SoCal gets blocked out for the summer. It looks like they are easing them into block out for July and August (my guess) by blocking them out more and more days as they progress through June instead of all at once mid June.

Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Handsome Prince
Me(34) DH(36) DD(12) DD(8) DD(6) DS(5)
Disneyland: many times as a kid * 10/05 * 12/07 * 9/09 * 10/09 * 12/09 * 6/10 *1/13*12/13
Walt Disney World: 9/11 2 weeks at BCV!!!
3Minnies1Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 09:12 PM   #5
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

As someone who went in June before the Socal blockouts, I would not go at that time again. We were there from one Wed to the next. The first week was the last few days before the last Socal AP was blocked. It was very crowded, lines were long, TSMM was 50 min at its shortest. The next week they were blocked and we couldn't believe how uncrowded it was. It was very nice. So, I suggest, based on experience, if you go in June, be sure to go at the very very end after the Socal APs are blocked. Next summer World of Color will be open so I expect a similar pattern as this year for crowds.

Our plan is to get a Deluxe AP and go the first week of Aug. Then we will go the summer after that in July. One AP, two summer vacations. No June.
Old 08-26-2009, 10:05 PM   #6
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

I know that this year has been completely bizarro about how people are behaving before and after blockout periods, but the point of the blockouts is because DLR knows that it's going to be BUSY, and they want to diminish the extreme busy-ness somehow. So by choosing a blockout time, you're choosing a period that they are expecting crowds.

But this year has been nutty (and I blame the Disney scheduling people for that, for having all these new, advertised things, then expecting that people who love Disney enough to buy APs aren't going to all show up to see it!), so who knows?

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:18 PM   #7
PinkBudgie
Expert Disneyland Snowball Maker
I've been wearing my LGMH for several years now

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
But this year has been nutty (and I blame the Disney scheduling people for that, for having all these new, advertised things, then expecting that people who love Disney enough to buy APs aren't going to all show up to see it!), so who knows?
That's why I think next year will be the same with new show.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:20 PM   #8
3Minnies1Mickey
Just wanted to add, this is no longer a rumor

If you look at the SoCal block out dates fir next June, they switched things around. June starts out with Th-Sat blocked out, then Wed-Sat, then Tues-Sat. Hopefully that will help with the summer SoCal crowds.

Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Handsome Prince
Me(34) DH(36) DD(12) DD(8) DD(6) DS(5)
Disneyland: many times as a kid * 10/05 * 12/07 * 9/09 * 10/09 * 12/09 * 6/10 *1/13*12/13
Walt Disney World: 9/11 2 weeks at BCV!!!
3Minnies1Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:00 AM   #9
marieta
Earning My Ears

I generally don't go in June because it is so hot, but this year we had serious "June Gloom" and I think people might have gone more before the block-out then generally would I went 3rd week in May before the block-out and it was great!! Way better than going in March which was sooo crowded.
I guess I'm just surprised it's so crowded in June from SoCal goers since I hate going due to the heat.
marieta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 03:15 PM   #10
SpoiledDisFam
Earning My Ears

Sorry about the confusion with my above response. My sister went in June this year, during the week she said it wasn't too crowded in the middle of the month, the weekends were really crowded though. You should be ok even with SoCal APs being valid that week.

Next Trip: DLR VGC Oct

WDW 6/09- OKW
WDW 6/06- Offsite

DLR - TOO many to count.
SpoiledDisFam is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: