Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2009, 11:21 PM   #1
Minnie_me
I don't wipe butts
Maybe I should mention that I don't wipe noses, either

whirring/purring noise in my walls?!??

I'm almost asleep in bed when I hear this loud purring sound. Assuming it was my cat, I glanced around and looked for her, but it wasn't her (she's in my dd's bedroom). As I listened closer and closer, I discovered that the sound is coming from inside my bedroom wall! (2nd floor, interior wall)

It really sounds like my Siamese when she's falling asleep - - a loud, rhythmic purr, almost a motor-like whirr.

So I banged on the wall, thinking that if it were an animal, it would respond to the sound/vibration. It didn't stop at that time, but it did stop a few minutes later.

And then it started up again.

What the heck PURRS that could be inside my walls!??!
Old 08-25-2009, 11:25 PM   #2
C.Ann
We'll remember when...
No time for green bananas
When the going gets tough, she gets the Palmolive!!
If I knew we were going to be graded here, I might try harder

If it was an outside wall, I would say bees.. We had that happen with the bathroom wall in my old house.. Not sure what it could be with an interior wall..
----------------------------------------

"I wrote your name in the sand,
but the waves washed it away.
I wrote your name in the sky,
but the wind blew it away.
So I wrote your name in my heart,
and that’s where it will stay.."

"We won't be sad, we'll be glad
for all the life we've had
and we'll remember when...."
C.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-25-2009, 11:35 PM   #3
crazee4mickey
Ever thought you had a great idea only to find out that everyone else had the same lightbulb turning on over their heads as well?

I have no idea but got shivers just reading your post!!
Old 08-25-2009, 11:45 PM   #4
flying_babyb
DIS Veteran

A sound I remember!!! BATS!!! we had a bat issue that made a purring sound. It was the slap of there wings. My grandma had a interior second floor wall get infested with bees. I wouldnt visit for a month!
flying_babyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:48 PM   #5
Minnie_me
I don't wipe butts

I just found this:

http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/fo...ge-noises.html

Quote:
Last July I noticed a loud purring noise coming from the outside wall - like a cat purring but louder, slower and deeper in tone. My initial thought was that it could be a cat sitting outside on the deep window ledge and that the sound was somehow being amplified. This noise went on for several nights (I didn't notice it during the day) and I started to get quite concerned. It was unclear exactly where on the wall the noise was coming from and I tried banging various sections of the outside wall with my knuckles to see if "whatever it was" would react - however the noise just went on.

Then one morning I suddenly woke with a half-memory of reading, or seeing on TV, something about bees or wasps beating their wings to ventilate their nest. This prompted me to check outside and sure enough wasps were entering and leaving the thatch by the bedroom window every few seconds.

I phones a local exterminator who agreed to come round that afternoon. My wife thought she's do a quick clean and tidy of the bedroom before he arrived. Fortunately I was standing by the bedroom window with a ring binder in my hand (I was just about to do some filing). As my wife passed the duster over the plasterboard area above the window a section of plaster fell into the room revealing the wasp nest and countless wasps. A few wasps got into the bedroom before I managed to slap the ring binder over the hole (matter of seconds only). My wife got stung three times before she managed to squish them.

The wasps behind my ring binder were buzzing VERY angrily (I could feel the vibration) and I had no choice but to stand there holding the binder over the hole while my wife rang the exterminator again with a panic request to come round immediately. I stood there for 40 minutes before he got to us and the wasps never stopped buzzing. He dealt with them and we had a chance to see just what had happened.

The nest was huge - completely filling the meter square cavity between the plaster and the thatch. The wasps had eaten (removed) a 6X8 inch oval of the plasterboard and just left the egg-shell thin skim of plaster.

This incredibly fragile piece of plaster could have broken through at any time (when we were asleep in bed ) and the room would have filled with wasps. If I'd have banged that section of wall with my knuckles the previous night....it was a VERY narrow escape!

If I'd not been there at the moment it collapsed with something to cover the hole it could have been disastrous!

Several days later I removed the wasp nest and seemingly hundreds of dead wasps. So I'm very grateful to the loud purring sound that alerted me to the fact that something was amiss!
I definitely won't be sleeping in there tonight! DH thinks I'm crazy, but I'm on the couch, and calling the exterminator 1st thing in the morning!!
Old 08-26-2009, 12:06 AM   #6
N&B'smom
Cancer Survivor
I expect you to scrape an 'Acceptable' in your O.W.L., or suffer my...displeasure."

HOLY COW!!! I'd be at a hotel!

If you have to ask, you will never know. If you know, you need only ask. ~ Rowena Ravenclaw

Dark and difficult times lie ahead. Soon we must all face the choice between what is right and what is easy. ~ Albus Dumbledore
N&B'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:18 AM   #7
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

thinking about fainting right now....

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:13 AM   #8
LadyZolt
DIS Veteran

There was a report on the news tonight about a guy who was cleaning or replacing (or something -- I wasn't listening all that closely. LOL!) a window air conditioner unit and when he opened it, out came hundreds of yellow jacket wasps. He got stung a bunch of times and the firefighters came out and took him to the hospital. Scary stuff! I'd be calling an exterminator, too! Let us know what ends up happening!

-Dorothy (LadyZolt)
LadyZolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 02:28 AM   #9
wdwiala
DIS Veteran

Let us know how it goes. Good luck!
wdwiala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:33 AM   #10
Darsa
Has an active imagination
Can't sleep with socks on!

OMG ACK!!! One of my very worst nightmares!! Let us know how things turn out; I know I'll be thinking of you!

Be a hero, because you can't take it with you!

In memory of my mom 1/12/44 - 3/25/10 I wish I could have helped, I'm so sorry!
Darsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:08 AM   #11
Sammy
Suffered from acute Tag Envy
We just giggled to ourselves!

Ugh...my neighbor had a huge nest of bees in the roof of her bedroom window dormer. If you stood quietly in the room, you could hear the whirring sound in the walls!!

1975, 1979, 1990: Offsite
Sept. 2000: Dixie Landings...First-ever family trip with DH and kids!
Awesome trips since then: Dolphin, OKW x5, BCV, POP, ASMu, CBR, Poly for 20th Anniversary, Bonnet Creek, SSR @ Christmas, AKL for DD's Sweet 16!

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:23 AM   #12
ohiomom28
DIS Veteran

In an old 100+ year old house I used to live in, we noticed bees flying in and out of the siding. We then started hearing them upstairs in the wall of our bedroom. The landlord wouldn't do anything about it. We finally moved and the house was sold at an auction, our old neighbors told me recently that when the new owners had it checked, there was a 9 foot beehive in the wall! Crazy & very scary!
Old 08-26-2009, 08:26 AM   #13
golfgal
DIS Cast Member
When did vacuums become a status symbol???

On a non-insect related note-could it be a heat/ac duct and you are hearing the fan from the furnace???
golfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 08:35 AM   #14
dawson5
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flying_babyb View Post
A sound I remember!!! BATS!!! we had a bat issue that made a purring sound. It was the slap of there wings. My grandma had a interior second floor wall get infested with bees. I wouldnt visit for a month!

we have bats in our chimney right now, we don't get the whirring/purring sound but do get the screech that they make. That is how we found out they were bats and talking with the neighbor, who told us that he's watched them fly in & out. We're waiting for a string of days that a friend can climb the ladder just after dark to put the chimney cap on and return each night to let out any stragglers.
dawson5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:01 AM   #15
Minnie_me
I don't wipe butts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
On a non-insect related note-could it be a heat/ac duct and you are hearing the fan from the furnace???
Oh, I really really hope so! But I really, really doubt it. We built this house almost 5 years ago, and I know its noises well. It's out in the country, and it's so quiet at night you could hear a pin drop. I have NEVER heard that purring noise before. And when I found that article that I posted above describing it as sounding like a cat stuck in the wall, that's exactly what it sounded like.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: