Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-28-2009, 08:53 AM   #91
redhead09
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwiala View Post
So, as I see it, this creates an issue for everyone else. These 1,000 ressies for Teppan Edo are being given "top priority" reservations at other restraunts. Does that mean that everywhere else will be double booked now as a result? Just what I want, hour long waits to get into dinner because the system goofed up.

I know that many people feel like Disney owes them something for this goof up. Still, promising reservations at almost any restraunt (including those that were previously "booked up") will cause many torked off hungry people. First free dining crowd worries and now potential double bookings everywhere. Now, I'm getting concerned.

I was just thinking the same thing!!! I really feel for all the TE folks - what a nightmare!!! However....I am not eating there, but have ressies during this "mad time". How long are we going to be backlogged too! WOW, it might not be the most magical place on earth with my 4 yr when she's hungry

But seriously, good luck - and DO NOT BOOK THE BIERGARTEN!!! It's really really bad!!

Last edited by redhead09; 08-28-2009 at 09:41 AM. Reason: typo
redhead09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:00 AM   #92
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Can some of you who have been cancelled report what date your ADR's were? We're eating there on 9/30. It's the ONLY ADR for the entire week my husband and son requested for the entire week, so this has me a little concerned. And the idea of a 2 hour wait is pretty scary...... To be honest though, them giving you dinner without charging your TS credits is of little value. Where would you get another ADR at that point to use it??????????

As for squeezing those 1000 into other restaurants: It's still probably better to disperse the problem throughout the resort than to have a melt down in one spot......

Last edited by mom2rtk; 08-28-2009 at 09:23 AM.
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-28-2009, 09:06 AM   #93
dawnbu40
DIS Veteran

I just found this thread and I have to add it is not just large groups getting cancelled. I was called Wed. evening and told our adr for 2 on Sept 28th at 1 was cancelled. The CM was very nice and asked where we'd rather go. I told her the only place I wanted was Ohana but I knew they were booked. Well she got us in at the day and exact time I wanted! Worked out well for us but it has left me worried about our other adrs!
dawnbu40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:27 AM   #94
cepmom
Mine are painted too
My kids call me a "trash picker"
Who wouldn't choose Chachi over a skunk?
I hate finding burning butts in my mulch!

I haven't called them back yet. Still thinking about where we will change our ADR to...wondering if going outside of Epcot might be a good idea now that it seems like the other restaurants in WS are going to be overbooked too by fitting all the cancelled Teppan Edo people in someplace else we were only going to go to Epcot really just for dinner as it's an EMH night and I generally avoid those due to crowds All I am picturing is tons of crowds already, and very crowded restaurants too. Might be a bad combination for us after a day at Typhoon Lagoon
*lots of offsite trips growing up**3/1995 offsite**11/2002 Wilderness Lodge**8/2005 Polynesian~4 night DCL~Royal Pacific**8/2006 10th anniversary 3 night DCL**1/2007 SURPRISE 7 night Western DCL**2/2007 Caribbean Beach~Nationals Competition**8/2007 Girls Only Trip~Pop Century**8/2008 Port Orleans Riverside**12/2008 DH's Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century**9/2009 My Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century* *8/2010 California and Disneyland!*5/2011 Beach Club**6/2012 Coronado Springs mother/daughter graduation trip **8/2012 POFQ* 1/2014 Disney Marathon Weekend Old Key West*
2/2014 Princess 1/2 Marathon
*8/2014 Disneyland 1/2 MarathonGoing Coast to Coast
cepmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:45 AM   #95
ReggieB
DIS Cast Member
I don't kiss cats anymore. I do like cats really, I just shouldn't kiss them

Sorry to hear about this.

I was thinking, they seem to be blaming the online system. Now do you think that it was human input error? Someone typed in the wrong figure of tables/spots available, that's why it's such a large number (added an extra 0 or something) that it's for such a long period of time (30 days?) and seems to be confined to one restaurant.

to all (and to those poor CM's at TE who are going to have to try and sort out someone else's mistake)

2013: Disney Magic, Yacht Club Resort- WDW
2012: Grand Californian Resort, DL - Boardwalk Inn, WDW - Polynesian Resort, WDW - Disney Fantasy
2011: Boardwalk Inn
2010: Disney Magic - Beach Club Resort - MiraCosta (Tokyo Disney Resort)
2009: Yacht Club Resort - Grand Californian Resort, DL
2008: Yacht Club Resort - Tokyo Disneyland & Tokyo Disney Sea
2007: Disney Magic - Grand Floridian
2006: Grand Floridian - Disney Magic
2005: Beach Club Resort, Disney Wonder & Contemporary Resort - Wilderness Lodge
2004: Grand Floridian
2003: Animal Kingdom Lodge
1999: Coronado Springs
1995: Newport Bay Club (Disneyland Paris)
ReggieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:11 AM   #96
TillyMarigold
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieB View Post

I was thinking, they seem to be blaming the online system. Now do you think that it was human input error? Someone typed in the wrong figure of tables/spots available, that's why it's such a large number (added an extra 0 or something) that it's for such a long period of time (30 days?) and seems to be confined to one restaurant.
Well, it's hardly an over-booking of an order of magnitude like you'd get with adding a 0 (e.g. 100 vs. 1000). TE holds what, 250 people at a time? So in a 5-hour dinner period (assuming they open at 5, last reservation at 9, but stay open until the 9:00 people leave), they can probably get 1000 people or close to it in or out. It seems like they literally double booked the restaurant--took reservations for twice as many people as will fit in one night.

But you're probably correct that there was a human error--my guess is that it was in the original program of the system, not that someone later typed in the wrong number.

What I don't understand is why they're not calling the people who booked *last*.
TillyMarigold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:47 AM   #97
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieB View Post

I think it is very possible that it truly is a glitch in the booking system. Think about the difference in the way tables turn over in a regular restaurant vs a hibachi grill... I think the online system very likely treats (hopefully treatED - I wuld think they'd get this fixed ASAP) Teppan Edo the same as other restaurants, without accounting for the fact that at TE, you don't clear a table when a family of 4 finishes quickly and seat another group at that table. You have to wait for the entire group of 8 to be finished, the grill to be cleaned and prepped for the next seating, and then seat multiple groups together. The problem really could be as simple as a one-size-fits-all reservations system clashing with a restaurant style that causes slower-than-average table turnover.

Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:52 AM   #98
Calgary DISHeads
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post
I think it is very possible that it truly is a glitch in the booking system. Think about the difference in the way tables turn over in a regular restaurant vs a hibachi grill... I think the online system very likely treats (hopefully treatED - I wuld think they'd get this fixed ASAP) Teppan Edo the same as other restaurants, without accounting for the fact that at TE, you don't clear a table when a family of 4 finishes quickly and seat another group at that table. You have to wait for the entire group of 8 to be finished, the grill to be cleaned and prepped for the next seating, and then seat multiple groups together. The problem really could be as simple as a one-size-fits-all reservations system clashing with a restaurant style that causes slower-than-average table turnover.
Good point

AKL/Portofino Bay CL - Christmas 2009
Poly/Beach Club - Christmas 2007
POP/Hard Rock CL-Oct 2006
CBR - Jan 2003
Disneyland - Jan 1999, AllSS Sept 1996
Disneyland - Sept 1991, Camping at DW 1976

[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/362dhz1q6jullmo0.png[/img]
Calgary DISHeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:05 AM   #99
ReggieB
DIS Cast Member
I don't kiss cats anymore. I do like cats really, I just shouldn't kiss them

Quote:
Aha, that makes sense. But then why has this not happened before? Did they just forget to put those parameters/fields/rules in for this particular month??

2013: Disney Magic, Yacht Club Resort- WDW
2012: Grand Californian Resort, DL - Boardwalk Inn, WDW - Polynesian Resort, WDW - Disney Fantasy
2011: Boardwalk Inn
2010: Disney Magic - Beach Club Resort - MiraCosta (Tokyo Disney Resort)
2009: Yacht Club Resort - Grand Californian Resort, DL
2008: Yacht Club Resort - Tokyo Disneyland & Tokyo Disney Sea
2007: Disney Magic - Grand Floridian
2006: Grand Floridian - Disney Magic
2005: Beach Club Resort, Disney Wonder & Contemporary Resort - Wilderness Lodge
2004: Grand Floridian
2003: Animal Kingdom Lodge
1999: Coronado Springs
1995: Newport Bay Club (Disneyland Paris)
ReggieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:13 AM   #100
RFrank9504
DIS Veteran

Its just a meal, cant you do a quick service restaurant somewhere else in the World Showcase?? I dunno, maybe its just me, but I'm not all about eating in Disney. Yes I have ADRs made, but if we had to cancel or they cancel for us if not a big problem. At least they called you ahead of time instead of telling you at check in day of. Now you have time to either find something else or QS it. Look at the glass half full. Have a fun trip. Relax.

Palm Beacher
RFrank9504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:17 AM   #101
CindyCharming
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I don't know, to me, it seems possible that tables might turn over sooner. They are able to maximize their tables, rarely do you see more than one seat empty. More often than not, people begin eating while the chef is cooking which seems more efficient than a normal restaurant where you are waiting for everyone's meal to be prepared and a server to bring it out. The chef cleans the grill while you are eating, not after. I also imagine you don't get too many people lingering over their meal like you might at a normal restaurant, first because you're sitting with other people, second, because you know they are waiting to turn that table over.
Old 08-28-2009, 11:19 AM   #102
cepmom
Mine are painted too
My kids call me a "trash picker"
Who wouldn't choose Chachi over a skunk?
I hate finding burning butts in my mulch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFrank9504 View Post
Its just a meal, cant you do a quick service restaurant somewhere else in the World Showcase?? I dunno, maybe its just me, but I'm not all about eating in Disney. Yes I have ADRs made, but if we had to cancel or they cancel for us if not a big problem. At least they called you ahead of time instead of telling you at check in day of. Now you have time to either find something else or QS it. Look at the glass half full. Have a fun trip. Relax.
we could do a quick service but then our TS credit will go to waste. For us, we are entering Epcot that night for dinner only....we normally avoid EMH nights and will not really be trying to go on rides etc, we'll just be going to eat and maybe catch Illuminations. I don't want to enter Epcot on an EMH night (crowds!) for a quick service meal; I'd rather skip going in at all if we can't get a good TS dinner there.
*lots of offsite trips growing up**3/1995 offsite**11/2002 Wilderness Lodge**8/2005 Polynesian~4 night DCL~Royal Pacific**8/2006 10th anniversary 3 night DCL**1/2007 SURPRISE 7 night Western DCL**2/2007 Caribbean Beach~Nationals Competition**8/2007 Girls Only Trip~Pop Century**8/2008 Port Orleans Riverside**12/2008 DH's Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century**9/2009 My Big 4-0 Birthday Celebration~Pop Century* *8/2010 California and Disneyland!*5/2011 Beach Club**6/2012 Coronado Springs mother/daughter graduation trip **8/2012 POFQ* 1/2014 Disney Marathon Weekend Old Key West*
2/2014 Princess 1/2 Marathon
*8/2014 Disneyland 1/2 MarathonGoing Coast to Coast
cepmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:22 AM   #103
dawnbu40
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindyCharming View Post
I don't know, to me, it seems possible that tables might turn over sooner. They are able to maximize their tables, rarely do you see more than one seat empty. More often than not, people begin eating while the chef is cooking which seems more efficient than a normal restaurant where you are waiting for everyone's meal to be prepared and a server to bring it out. The chef cleans the grill while you are eating, not after. I also imagine you don't get too many people lingering over their meal like you might at a normal restaurant, first because you're sitting with other people, second, because you know they are waiting to turn that table over.
I can't speak for everyone but I got up early,90 days out, to be online at 6am to make my adrs. To have it cancelled because Disney overbooked and to have to re-arrange plans it can be a hassle. I got lucky that they were able to get me exactly what I wanted instead but everyone may not be that lucky.
dawnbu40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:28 AM   #104
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnbu40 View Post
I can't speak for everyone but I got up early,90 days out, to be online at 6am to make my adrs. To have it cancelled because Disney overbooked and to have to re-arrange plans it can be a hassle. I got lucky that they were able to get me exactly what I wanted instead but everyone may not be that lucky.

They really need to find something different to offer people. I heard they aren't swapping out CS credits for TS this year. But maybe that, or maybe a Disney gift card in its place. At least give people an option that doesn't include further crowding the other restaurants.

I too believe they need to start with the folks who booked last. I was up at 5 AM central to book this at 90 + 10. It was the only restaurant inisisted on by the boys in our group. I'd be kind of not happy if the called me to cancel.

The truth is that different meals are more important than others to different people. Put some options in front of people, and if you ask enough, you will find those for whom it wasn't critical and they'll take you up on it. But adding to the load at other restaurants sounds like a bad idea too......
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:31 AM   #105
blugill13
Mouseketeer

[QUOTE=cepmom;33344753]I haven't called them back yet. Still thinking about where we will change our ADR to...wondering if going outside of Epcot might be a good idea now that it seems like the other restaurants in WS are going to be overbooked too by fitting all the cancelled Teppan Edo people in someplace else

a couple of years ago when TE was being refurbished they called and said they woulddnt be open so we went to the restaurasnt at the yacht club....maybe the boadwalk area rsturants woull be a good alternaive for everyone?

altho it doesnt change the fact that they screwed up your original adrs
2006 - caribbean beach resort
2007 - Port Orleans French Quarter
2008 - Boardwalk Inn

blugill13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: