Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2009, 07:25 PM   #1
podsnel
just skippin' around, amusing myself...

DHHIR Family Reunion 7/31-8/7/09- a great time had by MOST! Final Updates 10/16 p.8

Hi! I am finally ready to start my 09 DHHIR TR! The planning began a year ago, when we went down for our first visit with DBIL & DSIL (OH, as in OHIO, excuse me, OHHIO!) and their boys and we fell in love with the place. The whole place. The island is beautiful, but we all felt the resort itself was just so special, and we were anxious to experience it again, but with all the family. As in, my DH is one of 5 sons, all with wives and kids- 27 in all!! Not to mention my very proud, very generous MIL (FIL passed away 8 years ago) who wanted to treat her family to an AMAZING vacation! Now, we knew everyone wouldn't be able to make it, right off the bat. Our oldest nephew has followed in his father's footsteps (bootsteps?) and is serving in the Airforce. And our oldest son, Sean, is just not up for this trip at this point (although we hope he will be one day)- he is autistic, and currently having issues with sleeping anywhere but home (but we are working on it for our WDW trip this November, and he has slept away from home the past 2 weekends with us, so keep your fingers crossed and please keep him in your prayers!) That still left a family of 26 looking for a good time... so we secured a GV (with rented/transferred points from a WONDERFUL DISpal- I bet you can guess who!) and 2 2bdrm villas on a DVC 25% cash discount. In case you didn't know, DHHIR has only 5 GVs- so getting one of them during the summer when they are fully booked is a BIG deal! We were all so excited!! We had NEVER all gone away together before, and since we are spread out between NJ, Ohio and Florida, our kids would be all together for the first time in 3 years- when we all met in Florida at Grandma's (and 2 BIL's). But THIS time, the playing field was even- no mail or Dr's appts or work to get in the way. Just vacation uber-happiness for all!!! Or maybe I should change that to for most... since one BIL from FLA backed out a month before the trip (his eldest daughter was accepted into a prestigious ballet school, so all 7 of them stayed home to support her ) and....since one BIL & SIL found a way to complain about pretty much everyone and everything. Isn't that just exhausting??? I think it stinks, so I will be staying away from THAT topic as much as possible (although if it creeps in a little here and there, I hope you'll forgive me- I am REALLY PISSED!!!!).

Sooo.....where to begin....we were arriving from NJ on Friday and staying at the Hampton for 2 nights before checking into DHHIR on Sunday. Why not check in early at Disney's resort? Well...DBIL & family (NJ) were already there, spending the week in HHI before the whole clan arrived. So we figured since we would be spending all our time with them at their resort, we would be ok at the Hampton. KWIM? So....here we come!

Always ready for Disney in my car!

I took pics of the room, because on the HHI lovers thread people who haven't stayed here wonder how the Hampton is. It's fine! But it's no Disney! Actually, all the people who work there are VERY nice, it is very clean with comfy beds and the first morning at breakfast I met 2 lovely sisters who I shared my table with. We were in a deluxe room, it would sleep 6 as there was a pullout couch in addition to the 2 queen beds.

A quick wash-up, and we were on our way over to visit some family who were staying just down the road.....

Last edited by podsnel; 10-16-2009 at 10:04 AM.
Old 08-25-2009, 08:19 PM   #2
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Oh Boy I am first !!! Wherewere the Zebras you know the ones with stripes and the Giraffes!!!I am looking forward to hearing all about this vacation!!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-25-2009, 08:46 PM   #3
OhMari
WDW PreTrip and Trip Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Old 08-25-2009, 08:51 PM   #4
CRdisMom
DIS Veteran

Im here too. Can't wait to hear about HHI. DH doesnt love Disney as much as I do. I love the service and quality, so this is another option.

Hmmm wonder what kind of animals you'll meet on this trip.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:53 PM   #5
podsnel

So DBIL & family (NJ) were staying just down the road at the HHI Resort- also known as the Stack-n-Shack by HH Islanders- and we were ther in a heartbeat. Their family consists of Mom & Dad and their 3 kids, DNeice almost 13 & DNephews 11 and almost 8. When the family from Fla (with the 13 year old ballerina) cancelled, NJ decided to bring a girlfriend (DGF 15) to keep their daughter happy...since in my husband's family, girls are few and far between. And besides DN13, on this trip there would only be one other girl cousin- age 7. They had been enjoying the beach- and indoor pool during the daily thunderstorms. Which began the minute we arrived. But it still looked pretty out there-

We placed an order for some take-out, I was DYING to try Alligator Grille, so that's where we ordered from. While we waited, we went to swim in the indoor pool, then came back to the outdoor pool as it began to semi-clear & the men came back with the food. O.M.G. Everyone enjoyed their meals, it was all really delicious. I had scallops, and may I just say, I WILL be having those scallops IN the restaurant one day- they were fabulous! EVEN as take-out! A few ice creams and glasses of wine later, we decided to head back to the Hampton for some much needed zzzzzzzzz's.

In the morning, the sun was shining, and we were headed back to the SnS for the beach. DSIL & I walked, while the other 8 of us waited to take the shuttle- which was a big golf cart pulling a trailer full of beach crap.

We waited at the signpost-

And eventually they arrived-

To the beach! Pods (DH) assumes the position-

And the vacation has officially begun!

I gave my still working Olympus waterproof camera to my niece, and she had a great time recording the crazy cousins antics in the ocean!

DN11 found a sand dollar-

which he put back in the ocean after we had all checked him out. The kids decided to have a sludge slinging contest-

And I think my DS12, Tyler, won most disgusting (big surprise!).

We ate lunch at Coco's, their snack bar.

Don't. Do. It.

It took an HOUR (that's 420 minutes in dog years I'll never get back!) for our giant order of 2 cheeseburgers, 3 orders of fries, mozzerella sticks and a hot dog to come out. There were a total of 2 tables (us being one, a 3 top being the other) when we sat down to order. We decided that the guy who drives the beach cart must ALSO be the chef, and that is why both things took so freakin' long.

Soon after lunch, the sky turned black and we decided it might be a good idea to head back to the resort and its pool. Great thing- no thunder and lightening, so we all went swimming! What's the difference? We were soaked to the bone by the time we got there anyway! The kids had some more fun with the camera-

And the uncles had some fun, too.

DH & DS 11

Tonight, our kids would be hanging out with the cousins, and DH & I would be going out to dinner .... so we left them to go back and get ready to have dinner with....everyone's favorite HHI CM DISgal- can you guess who it is????

Last edited by podsnel; 09-11-2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:08 PM   #6
WannaBeADisMom
WDW...it's my "happy place"....

Great report, Ellen. I can't wait to read more. See, I knew you could do it!!
Old 08-25-2009, 09:09 PM   #7
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Oh Boy I am first !!! Wherewere the Zebras you know the ones with stripes and the Giraffes!!!I am looking forward to hearing all about this vacation!!!
Hi Rosie!! here's a familiar sight, just to ease you in to the TR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMari View Post
Hi back at ya!!!! OMG, YOU are soooo fast!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRdisMom View Post
Im here too. Can't wait to hear about HHI. DH doesnt love Disney as much as I do. I love the service and quality, so this is another option.

Hmmm wonder what kind of animals you'll meet on this trip.
DHHIR has incredible service, the BEST CMs, I think!

Meet animals? Just the ones we brought with us- 11 of them to be exact. Just ask the people who stayed below our Grand Villa- I'm sure they'd tell ya we were meeting with a herd of elephants! Unfortunately, the floor/ceiling of the GV and the 1 BDRM below it is not well insulated, so even though we were trying to be good, I'm sure it was not pleasant for those beneath us, even with us just walking around.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:11 PM   #8
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeADisMom View Post
Great report, Ellen. I can't wait to read more. See, I knew you could do it!!
Thanks for the encouragement. I am choosing my words very carefully.... i may have to call you to vent once in a while!
Old 08-25-2009, 09:24 PM   #9
WannaBeADisMom
WDW...it's my "happy place"....

That's what I'm here for! Seriously, think of writing this report as therapy, plus you get great feedback from all your DISfriends while they benefit from reading about the wonderful place you visited. Everyone wins. Ok, enough mushy gooshy stuff...keep on posting....I want to read more.
Old 08-25-2009, 09:36 PM   #10
englishrose47
DIS Veteran

Ellen Thanks for the pix of Zebras and Giraffes !! Now I feel much more at home!I finally can relax and enjoy Hilton Head !!!Where exactly are the animals at HH !!!!!
[/B][/URL]
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3051652Where will Rosie Roam in 2013
[
[http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2#post50321302 Rosie Roamings in 2014
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3212398 Belly Dancing and Bus Mojo The Grannie Trip

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3278536 Let's Meet in the Dump Shop
Old 08-26-2009, 12:01 AM   #11
anewmac
Ive got nothing planned whats an OCVP to do?

ok im slow... with the abriveations.. DHHIR??? lol

and was that a hint that eventually the waterproof camera no longer worked? or was waterproof LOL
Old 08-26-2009, 09:27 AM   #12
Camster0307
DIS Veteran

I'm here - let the party begin!!!!!!

But seriously Ellen - two trip reports going at the same time? How in the heck are you going to keep them all straight?

Loved your pix so far. Oh that one with the kids in the sand - makes me itchy just looking at it!
Old 08-26-2009, 09:28 AM   #13
Camster0307
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewmac View Post
I'm going to take a guess and say it stands for: Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort.

What do I win if I'm right?
Old 08-26-2009, 10:44 AM   #14
podsnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBeADisMom View Post
That's what I'm here for! Seriously, think of writing this report as therapy, plus you get great feedback from all your DISfriends while they benefit from reading about the wonderful place you visited. Everyone wins. Ok, enough mushy gooshy stuff...keep on posting....I want to read more.
Thanks! Great talking to you this morning- and it wasn't even to vent!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by englishrose47 View Post
Ellen Thanks for the pix of Zebras and Giraffes !! Now I feel much more at home!I finally can relax and enjoy Hilton Head !!!Where exactly are the animals at HH !!!!!
Actually, the animals are EVERYWHERE...there's a TON of wildlife on HHI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewmac View Post

and was that a hint that eventually the waterproof camera no longer worked? or was waterproof LOL
Soon you'll know the answer to this GIANT sized mega-cliffhanger!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camster0307 View Post
I'm here - let the party begin!!!!!!

But seriously Ellen - two trip reports going at the same time? How in the heck are you going to keep them all straight?

I guess I'll ask YOU for advice!

Loved your pix so far. Oh that one with the kids in the sand - makes me itchy just looking at it!
Me too- BLECH!

Quote:
I'm going to take a guess and say it stands for: Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort.

You win! You win! Absolutely nothing!
Old 08-26-2009, 10:02 PM   #15
anewmac
Ive got nothing planned whats an OCVP to do?

Quote:

OHHHHHH DUHHHHHHHHHHHH lol, thanks... im a dork LOL

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: