Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2009, 04:50 PM   #271
JustAKid
DIS Veteran

Wow! I got more then I bargined for on the MIL front, but I gotta be honest...it seems like you were bursting with it. Like you really just needed to get it out, to tell someone, anyone, who would have a better reaction then your wonderful albeit sometimes-doesn't-have-the-best-coping-skills, R.

My MIL is an oddity. She's a "b-word", through and through. She's horrible. She is dramatic and cries, she is one of those mothers who thinks her son is made out of nothing but the best, and it's ALL because of her (even though he hated his home so much that when he was 13 he opted to move into his best friend's house and live there for the next 6 years but...whatever). She thinks EVERYTHING is a medical emergency. I do mean EVERYTHING. One time my daughter got a paper cut from her coloring book, A PAPER CUT, and my MIL thought I should take her to the ER. I'm so dead serious. It was insane. She started bawling because she thought we were neglecting HER children. Not MY children, not her son's children...HER children. What kind of psycho are you? She feeds my kids things that we ask her not to. She gave my nephew (my SIL's child) mashed potatoes AT 2 WEEKS OLD!!! She thought since he was born in November he needed to be a part of Thanksgiving. She's certifiable. Fortunately for me, she is EXACTLY like my mother so I know how to deal with her and we get along fantastically. I actually get along better with her then my own mother. It's weird. I know how frustrating MILs can be (lets just say this is my second MIL. My first was more then helpful in the downfall of my first relationship. I hate that woman so much that when I hear her voice I litterally cringe. And I cry. I cry after EVERY time I'm done having to interact with her. She should be stoned...but that's JMHO). I'm sorry.

I can't relate on the child front either. We've been blessed. HOWEVER, I do know what it is to hope, and pray, and to be let down TIME AFTER TIME only to have someone put salt in the very open wound. I can't believe how inconsiderate it is, and that R isn't sticking up for you more! Bless her heart, because I do think it has a bit to do with a difference of culture, but I don't think culture has anything to do with the ability to see when someone is being hurt!

I think it's amazing that you're so strong and able to keep yourself going after all you've faced. I hope that God blesses you in the way he has blessed so many others, and if not, I hope that he opens another door so that you can accomplish the things you need to in order for you and your family to feel complete.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:57 PM   #272
kaoden39
Prayers and pixie dust from your friends on the DIS
Hugs
I have been flipping all around the internet

Molly you need this. Aren't MIL's just the best? I thought mine was the only one that tortured her. Argh. I think we need a support group. My MIL and SIL's all think that I am the devil in disguise because Scotty developed a life that didn't involve taking care of them when we got together. Argh, too much of a story to put you through but, .
kaoden39 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-30-2009, 12:10 AM   #273
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

no trip report here...this is not the story you're looking for

Justa (I've decided that that's your first name, and Kid is your last, LOL), sorry about the vent-blast. I'm sorry you've had MIL problems too. Mashed potatoes at 2 weeks old...I shudder to think of it. Laughing at the ER for a papercut. I remember when DS knocked out a brand new tooth at 6 months old, when suddenly we couldn't find the tooth (it happened at a restaurant, and as we left it disappeared from his mouth and we didn't know where it went), we stopped at the local kid's ER...as soon as we got to the triage nurse she listened to us, stopped us, said it would either dissolve in his stomach or come out, it wouldn't puncture anything, and that we needed to LEAVE because, and I quote, "there are sick people here and you don't want him to catch anything".

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoden39 View Post
Molly you need this. Aren't MIL's just the best? I thought mine was the only one that tortured her. Argh. I think we need a support group. My MIL and SIL's all think that I am the devil in disguise because Scotty developed a life that didn't involve taking care of them when we got together. Argh, too much of a story to put you through but, .
Thanks. And right back atcha.

It's funny...Robert can spot his "ethnic brothers" from across a crowded store. Literally...the cashier at our local grocery is also quarter Korean, and the two of them saw each other from yards away and they both said "your mother?" at about the same time. And all of his fellow half Korean friends, that I have met, say the SAME things about their mothers...they joke that it's all just one woman...sigh.

Though with Robert, his dad got in on the act too. He was a kid during the Depression; he was 79 when he died just about 3 years ago (sniffle...cruddy husband, bad father, but nice FIL and really kind and sweet grandfather), and he had a big time "old school" thing going on.

Robert recently related the story of a dinner with the family once R was an adult and living on his own... Through their lives, dinner was different when it was just their mom there, vs when his dad was home. His dad was in shipping, so he would be gone for months at a time, then home for months, etc. When it was just mom, they ate Korean style, all pulling food from communal bowls. When Russ was home, that was absolutely forbidden. It often took them a meal or two to remember, when he got home. So here they were, adults sitting around the table with dad. Robert wanted some extra heat in his meal, so he got out the spicey bean paste and scooped some out with his chopsticks, and did that a few times. Finally his dad exploded, said it was 'defying' him. Robert had been away for awhile and said something like "you know this isn't about the bean paste, tell me what it's about." Russ said something else that was petty, Robert called him on that, too.

And finally it came out that Russ was peeved about two things. One, that Robert didn't offer him the cash that he'd recently spent on a computer (1K way back then! ick!). That Russ had supported him growing up (uh duh) and that he should have at least offered...that he wouldn't have taken it, but the offer should have been made. (I call a big youknowwhat on the "I wouldn't have taken it" bit...he sooooo would have done) The second issue was that Robert was working at a Saturn dealership at the time, in the service department, and he should have not only gotten his younger sister a deal on a set of tires, but he should have bought them for her as well.

OK his sister is only 2 years younger (she was a grownup, too), and she had her life handed to her on a platter. The car she needed tires for had been Robert's car, which he was forced to give her. And, um, when's the last time anyone went to a *dealership* for a DEAL on tires??????

Just strange. Very different from the family I grew up with.

Kyung has told me she wants me to call her mom, especially since I don't have one. That she *is* my mom now. Wowie, no, you are really really NOT...

OK seriously I can't talk about this anymore, LOL. I know I brought it up, and I have to stop myself now. Gotta read through the Gymnastics News thing they handed E at his class this afternoon...

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 06:08 AM   #274
Brady's Mom
"Get off the roof, get off the roof, get off the roof!"
The snowball has hit my family and hit it hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
Oh Oh Oh.

So she's all on R's case about weight and always has been. So what does she give E when he visits? Remembering that SHE has blood sugar issues as well (her "control" means 150 readings, while taking metformin and something else....supposedly she has type 1, but she refuses insulin...I personally think she got a BAD diagnosis, but the doc who diagnosed her committed suicide, and the doc that took over has some weird respect thing going on and won't go against any of that previous doc's diagnoses), and E's father does...and E reacts really weird to corn syrup and HFCS which could very well be a blood sugar thing....she gives him white rice and Pocky. She will give him 4 packs of Pocky, which he eats, right in a row, after having white rice.

And she gives these too him b/c she feels guilty because we won't "let" her give him meat and fish and "normal" candy...can't figure out other things to give him...he loves this odd Korean pear she buys from PalDo market, but nooooo. White rice and Pocky.

OMG I could go on forever. First time I met her she tried to get me to cry. I teared up, but didn't cry, and got some respect from her. For, oh, I'd say, a minute. She's tried to sneak meat into my food. She knew E was exclusively nursed, but just about gave a supermarket apple juice to E when he wasn't even crawling yet...said "it's not food"...um, yeah, it is. I was still very much recovering from pregnancy etc, and I harmed my body by leaping across the room to grab the spoon of juice...in my mind's eye I picture myself as the former spokeman for Hertz, jumping over tables and rocking chairs, to keep the juice from him. When I saw her about the second time after R and I started dating, shortly before going to dinner as some strange xmas celebration on the 26th, I'd gained a couple pounds, as one often does when initially dating someone new, and she flat out said "oh you got so fat". It was like 10 lbs.

Augggghhhhh. I'd been doing so well. I'd decided she ahd turned over a new leaf, a new time of harmony. It needed to happen, since she refuses to move back to Korea. And no one suggests that in a mean way, but she's been gone for almost 40 years and has never really settled in here...she has siblings out there, a brother that she basically raised and owes her big time, his wife loves her, they have asked her to move out there, to live with them, etc etc, but she won't because she doesn't have money. So she suffers here, in a culture she doesn't like...

Sigh.
Sounds so much like my MIL. Her family immigrated to Japan from China and so all of her family lives in Kobe, Japan, but she's lived in the US for so long that I think she feels like she really doesn't belong anywhere. She doesn't really like the US, but she can't really go back to Japan. That would be tough, but at least make peace with your decision.

4 boxes of Pocky?? Why?? It's not even that good. I mean, my kids like it and I might have a stick or two, but it's not really that tasty. And wouldn't a pear be a much better choice??? Probably more expensive, but at least healthier. We actually eat white rice a LOT at my house, but we mix in a lot of other stuff. And we are all about the good Asian vegies, even though we live in a place with no Chinatown/Asian influence, really, we do have a couple of grocery stores that we can hit up.

And don't you hate that the person that needs the validation/credit for doing something good (R and his job skills) doesn't get the attention at all. It's all about someone else doing it for them - like they can't do anything GOOD for themselves??? Oy, makes me so crazy.

Haven't you had any luck finding a Monk or a Temple in your area? That would be hard. I don't know what my MIL does for a Temple, but she does have a shrine in her house and she goes to it every day. There is a Buddhist Temple in our area - about 30 minutes from us, but it doesn't really apply to us since we aren't Buddhist. The surprising thing to me is that you can actually attend a Buddhist Temple in Utah. Who knew Utah could be so progressive??? Which is why it surprises me that you would have a hard time finding one in your area.

October 2006 - Family trip September 2007 - 40th B-day trip March 2008 - 12 people trip December 7-12, 2008 - Christmas trip May 25-28, 2009 - Surprise Family Trip
July 16-19, 2009 - DH's 50th B-Day trip! Nov. 1-6, 2009 - Family Trip April 3-10, 2010 - Family Trip October 7-13, 2012 - Family Trip with Best Friends
Brady's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 02:29 PM   #275
mnmrmustard
DIS Veteran

Hey Molly - here I go again

Oh no, in-laws can be tricky and have a habit of being stubborn in the face of reason. Hope she comes around.

You’re welcome on the reply btw. I love seeing the interesting turns that people’s TRs take. ROFL, the parents were a bit too traditional as far as those wedding pics, aye? Ah well – as long as you were happy with them. $35 for a 5x7 …that’s just crazy. Did that include custom framing or something?

Yes, I remember about the dilemma about getting E workable antibiotics. Roxy was on a med that had to be custom mixed for a while after her hysterectomy and we had to drive to the next city and then all the way through it to the far end of town to get to the only pharmacy that could make it. But at least that was covered by our insurance. That really bites that they don’t cover it.

Glad to hear that he can now take pills on his own. It is never easy to try and give a little one pills.

Waiting in line is never fun, but making new friends/having good conversations with “line buddies” does make the time go by easier. Nice “bat” shot of E and as far as the skinny legs, it is hard to know what is normal and what needs to be checked. I know my younger DD had legs like that when she was 5 due to a growth spurt and then her muscles caught up to the bone growth within a year or so.

Cool that you were still near the front for rope drop after your happy flight on Soarin’ and I totally agree about the line growth on TSM. LOL, his color combo was fine for a boy

What a mess the doctors made of your hubby’s diagnosis and treatment. And that whole mentality they have now of never admitting they were wrong is pathetic. I know they would just say they can’t because it would open the door to them being sued, but they can at least show concern and check back in.

The human body is quite the interesting machine, so much happening just to keep us upright and talking. And you sound like Roxy, she LOVES to “hibernate” …just sleeps in and can do a 12hr stretch of snoozin’ if the fam lets her. I do good to get 8hrs (usually less) before my mind clicks on and I’m up and puttering around the house. Go figure.

Yay for finding the notes! Scary to lose a kid for sure, but Disney has it together between well-trained helpful CMs and parents who help out however they can. Glad to hear that there was such good vibes in the line there. I know I’ve had the kids duck out and the line was moving on, so I’d just drop back and lean against the wall and let people pass while keeping the best spot I could while still being in a good spot for my brood to see me and catch up :D Neat that E wanted to ride with you

Cool that Jessie gave E a wave on her way backstage. Sounds like the midway games were just as hokey as any midway games. We’ve never played them ourselves but I appreciate the details on the games and prizes. Sounds like y’all enjoyed them well enough. Good fun on Mulholland Madness and the Zephyr too.

What a mess with your MiL, and for her to pick a time when y’all are sick to go off on a tangent like that. I would say a healthy break from talking to her would do you and her both some good. Hopefully it will give her time to realize the reality of your situation and that a sibling for E just isn’t in the cards right now. And just give you one less stressor to deal with during all of this medical stuff.

I know it was hard for us when we contemplated having another child. For us it was Roxy that gave us pause. She had endometriosis and with her pregnancies she lost over 30lbs and was sick and weak for the whole nine months. When she had Bean it was an emergency c-section and a full hysterectomy. If a sibling isn’t in the cards for E, then you just make sure he has good friends growing up. Those bonds can be just as strong as those of siblings

Back to the TR! Lunch time aye? And yes, it was a bit of a brisk day, light jackets all around. Sorry yours was back at the room. Oh no, no b-day tortillas???

Wow, aren’t MiLs fun. Mine has such horrible eating habits and she live in the same house with us (she is no longer mobile). I had to have talks with the kids to make sure they didn’t emulate her eating habits. And she still “sneaks” them cookies which she keeps stashed in her room. Oy vey! And btw, we’re happy to be your sounding board for this stuff, it does help to get it off your chest. It’s one of the things I like about the boards. Good place to find smiles and friendship …and also a good safe place to vent

All the best and I look forward to more TR’ing. And I have to find time to get my day 3 pics done so I can start posting it
1976 - Disneyland ~ 2002 - Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure ~ 2005 - Disneyland ~ 2008 - Walt Disney World - SeaWorld/Discovery Cove ~ 2009 - Disneyland ~ 2011 - Walt Disney World/Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure ~ 2012 - Walt Disney World/Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure
mnmrmustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 01:31 AM   #276
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brady's Mom View Post
We actually eat white rice a LOT at my house, but we mix in a lot of other stuff.

Haven't you had any luck finding a Monk or a Temple in your area? That would be hard. I don't know what my MIL does for a Temple, but she does have a shrine in her house and she goes to it every day. There is a Buddhist Temple in our area - about 30 minutes from us, but it doesn't really apply to us since we aren't Buddhist. The surprising thing to me is that you can actually attend a Buddhist Temple in Utah. Who knew Utah could be so progressive??? Which is why it surprises me that you would have a hard time finding one in your area.
The white rice thing is so silly, because she cannot eat it! She has to make brown rice. And that's what we make here at home. He does, however, LOVE the stuff. And she makes it with a perfect mix of soy sauce and sesame oil...no one else can make it like her, he says, so it is an absolute favorite and treat, but still. You'd think she would be more careful, but she doesn't think she has to be, because he is thin.

OH and she met my brother at the wedding. My brother was a chubster as a kid, but as soon as he became a sophomore in HS he trimmed down and stays fit all the time. So when she compliments E on his trim physique, she says that he takes after my brother. I have shown her pictures of me, I have explained over and over that I'm naturally NOT heavy, it's just something that has happened for awhile now for who knows what reason, and that I was trim for most of my life...doesn't even matter, she doesn't remember from visit to visit.

There are Korean Buddhist temples around...we just feel...lost. Hubby hasn't been a temple-goer for ages, and he speaks at about a 3rd grade level of Korean, so....

Quote:
And that whole mentality they have now of never admitting they were wrong is pathetic. I know they would just say they can’t because it would open the door to them being sued, but they can at least show concern and check back in.

What's super-sad is that they've conducted some sort of study that has proven that an apology is actually what MOST people want, when they've been wronged by a healthcare professional. That "I'm sorry" would actually *prevent* most lawsuits.

But of course, with many things, the malpractice insurance companies are the ones that get it, when something happens. You know, you have a patient who will probably be fine, so risk is pretty low for them. But the doctor sees multiple patients like that, and some of those by statistics will have a problem, and some of those who have a problem will sue, so the doctor does have a higher risk for something bad happening than their patients. Then if the doctor is successfully sued, that's 100% risk for the company. It makes sense that the ones with the 100% risk would say "ack, no, don't apologize!", because there will be a few who take an apology as knowledge that they will win a suit. But for the vast majority of patients who are wronged...that apology would be IT for them. I know that I would be one of them (though DS was injured by the OB on call, he will have a right to have a little legal chat with the dude when he's 18, for instance...very minor, but still...), and I'm sure Robert would be too.

Up next, different post, different topic!

Up after that, chatting about the Grand Cal!

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
Old 11-01-2009, 02:36 AM   #277
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Very first proper trick-or-treating!

Earlier this week, we planned that DS could go out on Friday for the local business trick or treating. Would be fun!

We explained it to him, and he was so confused. We were confused about his confusion, because the only tot'ing he's done has been at hubby's workplaces and at Ikea.

But he had it in his head that we were going to do REAL tot'ing this year.

So I sent a quick PM to a kind and helpful person on this forum, who also lives in Tacoma, and she let me know that kids were going out tonight (well, officially, last night I suppose). Excellent.

Now, we live at the edge of downtown, and even the non-downtown edge we're on isn't big on *houses*. So we would need to find a house-neighborhood.

We spent the day at Ikea, because we did want to do their little festivities and look around. Very dangerous for us, to be working hard on our budget but visit Ikea. We did well, though. E had great fun. We left Ikea and had dinner (with part of our November "family fun" fund) at Zoopa, which is a sort of "soup and salad" buffet place.

Backing up...on Friday...you know how Mike just mentioned how good it is E can swallow pills? I thought so too. Except that on Friday, for the FIRST time ever, E put a non-food item in his mouth and swallowed it. A marble. Small, but still.

Took a bit to figure out what he had swallowed, because he was talking about "a bubble thing, the bubble thing, you know". Finally I got that it was the marble that he got at last summer's Ren Faire...a jester type person did a little bit of magic with blowing bubbles, then making the "fairy bubble" turn into a marble. So it was *extremely* upsetting for E to have swallowed it, because it's NOT a marble to him; it's a fairy bubble, a one of a kind thing.

Augh.

Well shortly after waking up Saturday morning, he kept feeling nauseated. Not to the point of producing anything, but he was very uncomfortable. Then it would subside. So we went to Ikea in a subsiding moment. Then it kept hitting him. At Zoopa, it hit hard, and I was so so so worried about him.

But then Robert talked about what they had for breakfast...a piece of toast, and E had a small brownie. At 10am. It was after 4pm by then. And he'd had TWO antibiotic pills by then. Oh man oh man how stupid could I be....I didn't even think that he might not have had lunch before we left! (I was busy getting ready, the guys had been ready for ages, I figured Robert fed the two of them.)

Of course the nausea kept him from wanting to eat...but we finally got something into his tum, and watched him perk up. I'm serious, I was about to ask the employees for a phone book to find the nearest place to take him, he was freaking me out so bad. So thankful Robert got him to eat. It's not good for a 5 year old to not eat for 6 hours during his waking hours!

We're still watching him carefully, anxiously awaiting the "fairy bubble" to make a reappearance.

After he perked up Robert talked about how the "Lack" side table is now only 7.99, and how he needs something like that, etc etc etc...ended up going back to Ikea to snag two of them. We've wanted them for years, literally, and 7.99 is astonishingly low.

Finally got back to town, E was still a happy camper, he was in costume still obviously, our tummies were still full...so we found a neighborhood with houses!

Went to one of the nicer Tacoma neighborhoods with old houses, just gorgeous, I used to jog there while in college.

It was SO much fun. He had a fabulous time! I was worried that he would be bored because it was just him, but the neighborhood was so packed with people that there was often a big crowd, and we'd see the same people going house to house.

And I got to see some of the houses, up close and personal, that I've drooled over since I was 17.

Before going home, we stopped at the store to buy some safe candy for him, to swap for. Oh, and a beer for me. Mmmmm, chocolate and beer....

Got home...he dumped out his candy...he must have gotten 2 bags worth of candy. Thankfully, we'd bought three bags! So we went through it all...NOT ONE piece was safe for him. All had corn syrup, corn syrup solids, or HFCS. Ugh.

What's WEIRD is that some candy is different from package to package. We had noticed that KitKats weren't safe anymore. But then we looked at all the various types of KitKat packages at the store, and *some* had corn syrup solids, while others did not! It is so strange!

So I dumped out the safe candy, and he swapped it all out, piece by piece! Funniest part was swapping known-ingredient-KitKats for exactly the same in appearance, but no-ingredients-listed, therefore, unkown, KitKats.

Then we lit the candles in the jack-o-lanterns we (they) made the other day, enjoyed the shadows they made, ate some candy, ate more candy...it was nice.

When we saw how much candy he couldn't have, we talked about it. He still remembers how he acted (I can't say "behaved") when still eating that nonsense, and tonight he came over, held my face (when he used to have something with corn syrup in it, like an Uncrustable, he would squeeze my face TIGHT, and scratch it while kicking me...I cannot believe it took me so long ot make the connection), and said "thank you for figuring that out about me."

Sigh.

So even though tot'ing costs us money (to replace all the gross-ingredient candy we buy for swapping), we're looking forward to it next year.

And someday, when we buy a home in that neighborhood, we'll be sure to get the good candy only.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:59 AM   #278
kaoden39
Hugs

When I hear about E I am glad that I am "that house", the one that doesn't hand out candy but hands out play dough.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:14 PM   #279
QueenDoOver
Dis Diva

Hi Molly,
Boy, I have been buried and you have been busy, dealing with a lot!
Firstly, I love your wedding picture. It is truly lovely, and R is indeed a handsome man.
Secondly, I am sorry for the challenges you are facing right now. Control what you can and let the rest go. Medical professionals are just so egocentic. It is difficult for them to acknowledge the patients own knowledge. I would think an ND would be different though. MIL, what can I say. Mine is in Minnesota and that is a good place for a MIL. Maybe yours could move

Poor E! I am glad he is feeling better and had proper trick or treating. Nathan ended up staying home as he had a 103 degree fever. He did not seem to care too much, as we promised him a full bowl of candy, which we had because not very many trick or treators ventured out last night!

Well, take care of yourself for goodness sakes.
Tracey
Old 11-02-2009, 02:47 PM   #280
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Hi all!

So, yesterday, Robert and I thought that the time was going to change as we slept Sunday going into Monday. I realized it around 10 last night, that the time had already changed.

We'd been out at Costco then JCPenney for several hours, and both kept noticing that the day was going really really slowly. Robert later said that he kept wondering why the hours were taking so long. He'd look at the car clock (needs to be manually changed), then later on at his cellphone, and think "wow this hour is taking so long!"

So he didn't get to enjoy his extra hour, because he'd already had it the night before.

Old 11-02-2009, 03:42 PM   #281
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Grand Californian Hotel

I said I'd talk about the Grand Cal, so here it is!

I'm so glad I've finally spent time in it withOUT the big xmas tree in it. That tree might be pretty, for those who can see it, but for my eyes, it just sucks up all the light in that lobby. I have light/dark oddities with my post-Lasik vision, and xmastime GCH lobby does not do it for me.

But without the tree, it's quite lovely!

They have a cute little section with small chairs in front of a TV with classic Disney cartoons. It's amazing how even the most jaded Sprout/Noggin/Nickelodeon/DisneyChannel/CartoonNetwork watching kids can just sit and watch with peals of laughter, at the silly antics of Donald Duck, etc, in black and white. Even when an adult can tell that there are some current-for-the-time references that a 5 year old just can't know about, it's all just funny to them...

The bummer of that area was that, and this is speculation based on a couple things E said and how his mood/attitude changed, we think a kid or two teased E for his red chapped mouth. And of course realizing now what might have been going on at that time (who knows when the strep started), I have to say I'm glad that those kids instinctively did not want him near them (self-protection), though I feel bad that it hurt E's feelings.

The room was nice, the tub wasn't tremendously deep, but it was very comfy for a soak. The water could get super-hot, which was nice on the muscles.

I wish Housekeeping (and this goes for DLH and PPH too) could follow their own signs. If towels are in the basket, please replace those. If towels are hanging, don't replace those. The signs make it clear, I wish they'd read them or remember them or figure out that we are reading them.

Housekeeping did, however, set up really cute stuffed animal/character situations with E's Mickey and Mushu, and later the "won" stuffies from the Midway games. We really enjoyed that. I will tell you that I took the plushes out of the pile they were in, and tossed them on the bed, in HOPES that they would do something with them...but R and E didn't know that I did that for that purpose. Little surprise for them each day.

I was so glad our room had a DVD player in it, though we only used it twice. Somehow it let us decompress, just to watch a little bit of Pirates, or half of Nemo.

The balcony was lovely and I wish it had been a longer visit so I didn't feel so frantic to be in the parks. There was no view other than the signs of the stores in DTD and their rooves (is that the word???), but it was nice just sitting outside. Hearing the DTD music was nice, too. And I think we all know that I don't really enjoy DTD much, so it's nice that I was able to enjoy it in *some* way!

The water in Anaheim just doesn't work for me. It smells and it doesn't clean my hair. My hair just looks awful when I'm there. The conditioner doesn't condition, I have tangles, etc etc.

So I had to wait until I got home to see how I liked their toiletries. The verdict? LOVE THEM! I hear they are made by the company H2O? Something like that? The shampoo is kind of strange with my hair, I have to use far more than I do of other shampoos, but the conditioner is perfect. I would likely pay big bucks for that conditioner.

The only thing I didn't "get" was the soap bar with the nubbies on it. I mean...you can't really feel any massage while soaping up with it, and the nubbies get blunted as soon as you take your first shower, so really, it's just for looks. Silly. We didn't take any soap, even while we (and I mean me, which is odd, because usually it's Robert who is the toiletry-thief) stashed each day's bottles away so they'd provide more.

The hotel is really really big. I'm not really used to that, I guess. Back in chiro school I went to seminars at big hotels in Atlanta, and I guess I was used to corridors that never ended then, but wow did it get OLD at the Grand.

I could have asked someone if there was any shortcut, but the map didn't show any other elevator that would take us to our room, and I didn't think that many stairs would be happy for the feet, I just dealt with it. It's funny, I'll ask for directions anywhere else, but at Disney I just don't like to. Strange little quirk.

The beds were hard, but not uncomfortable. We all slept very soundly. The sheets were nice and soft.

The pillows were massive, which I do not like.

I did NOT like how long things were left in the hallways. I don't know if those who ordered Room Service were calling to have their items taken, but we saw things there at 5pm still there at 7am. Things out in the hall ALL day. Now, why those people couldn't just leave their items in their room, I don't know, but maybe they had gone out and just assumed things were gone...it's possible.

We always saw housekeepers in the hallways, but they seemed very focused on their exact job, and didn't seem interested in doing things that might not be their job (or even calling the room service pick-up people).

One morning as we left, I saw a fork right in the middle of the hallway. I was about to pick it up, and I saw a housekeeper walking towards me. I thought I noticed her see it, so I decided that she would take care of it. We got back ages later on, well into the later afternoon, and I didn't see it, thought it was taken care of. Got ready in the room, went out for dinner or something like that, and on the way back down the hall, noticed that it had been placed on a table at the turning of the hallway. So...not taken care of after all.

For a place as fancy as it's supposed to be, I just have a problem with that. And that's always been what I've suspected of the place. They charge a lot so you think they are a premium hotel. But ultimately, unless you've got some mojo that causes people to treat you very specially (and we are NOT those people, we generally get the most neutral treatment no matter where we are, and we don't know why...hubby's a good tipper, we smile and say hello to those who work there, etc etc), it's just a moderate hotel, treatment-wise. Pretty surroundings, but IMO it's the treatment of guests that really puts a hotel up in the super fancy realm.

And because of our room placement, honestly it would have been hardly longer of a walk from PPH.

Editing to add the following...

At PPH they had a posted sign listing the fun things you could do, like the buildabear thing, the Sephora makeover, etc etc.

At the Grand, they told you to call a certain number to find out about those things. I *hate* calling places and people. I think I used up all my phone time as a teenager, when once I actually fell asleep in the middle of the night talking to my best friend (she fell asleep too) on the phone. I didn't want to call (I don't wannaaaaa!) and so I did NOTHING from the special things. No Sephora makeover, no buildabear, no learning to draw Mickey, no tours, no scavenger hunt, NOTHING. I think I'm more disappointed in that than anything else (especially because overall it was a really good trip). It's not their fault that I didn't want to call. But if PPH can *post* the schedule, and they are a "lesser" hotel, then the Grand is just being ridiculous.

End of edited in thought.

So I'm kind of back and forth on the whole Grand experience!

Last edited by bumbershoot; 11-15-2009 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:31 PM   #282
kaoden39
Hugs

Personally I think that when you pay as much for a hotel as you do the GCH you deserve to have clean hallways. I am sorry but I find that totally unacceptable. Only at a Disney hotel would they get away with that, if it was say the Hilton people would be hollering about it. Myself included. I love the idea of the balcony, I think sitting there drinking hot tea with a good book would be heavenly.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:53 PM   #283
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Agreed!

While reading your post and re-re-reading mine, I wanted to add to the "mojo" bit. We don't really get extra-special stuff, except by chance (Big Kahuna family of the day last December), it seems.

But when we do it doesn't work out! Before and after our honeymoon cruise, we stayed at the Westin Grand in Vancouver, BC. Lovely hotel, though for some reason they didn't yet have the Heavenly Beds installed (should have stayed at Bayshore!). On our first night, they tried hard to be wonderful to us. Tried.

I was still using "doctor" instead of Ms, because it had been less time since I gave up my practice and I was still attached to it. So it was Dr B on the reservation. And they addressed Robert as Dr B, cuz, you know, doctors are only ever men. Fail on both parts, as he's Mr W, not even Mr B!

And I can't remember if it was our stay before or after, but one night they sent up a "special" dessert with a Congratulations card for our wedding. So sweet! I do NOT know what the thing had in it, especially since I'm not deathly allergic to anything that's food, but my throat nearly closed up entirely within moments of eating it. Robert called down, but instead of an ingredient list, they just wanted to send the hotel doctor up. As Robert talked, it started to ease up so we declined (I really shouldn't have declined, but I didn't know what sort of cost it would be, and we were on a bare bones budget with no credit card). I really wish I could have gotten an ingredient list!

So those are two experiences of hotels trying to be great...I think I prefer neutrality and just ignoring us, LOL.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:57 PM   #284
mnmrmustard
DIS Veteran

Oops about the marble, but at least it was something without sharp edges Bummer about the anti-biotics on not much food – that is never fun and even more so when you’re out and about. Good luck with the retrieval of the “fairy bubble” ;-]

Sounds like a great time trick or treating! We live in the official trick or treat neighborhood for our town. Old established houses in a well-lit neighborhood with good sidewalks. I think the ladies (Roxy and MiL stayed at home handing out candy) handed out candy to around 500 kids. Takes quite an investment in candy!

I’m glad the candy swap went well and that is weird about the KitKats – lol Awww, very cute about how he held your face to thank you

Funny about your long day after the time change. I had the opposite happen, found out right away. My MiL has a satellite clock in her bathroom that is supposed to correct itself automatically. Unfortunately it fixed itself the wrong way and was an extra hour ahead. Her bedside clock was just an hour ahead, and her cable box had the right time. Needless to say she was a bit confused since they all had the same time the night before! That was good incentive to change all the clocks to the right time before most of the house was even awake …hehehe

Nice info on GCH, still haven’t been in there. Too bad about the situation between E and the other kids in the lobby :-[ The room sounded nice, we had the same tub situation, not too deep but did the job. Our water didn’t get as hot as yours did though, wish it had. We snagged out toiletries too – just loved the Mickey-ear theme of it all.

GCH did seem really “sprawling” in architecture, which makes for those foreverlong hallways. I did like the relatively short walk from our elevator to our room. But we didn’t have that cool custom entrance to DCA. Not many people left things in the hallways in the DLH when we were there. I can see how that would be a nuisance, especially if it wasn’t bussed away on a regular basis.

Your take on it as a Fancy hotel sounds very similar to what I’ve read about people staying at the “Deluxe” hotels at WDW. Lots of money spent on how the place looks, but the service doesn’t seem to match the look of the place. The Grand Floridian seemed to be the consistent exception to that. But that’s all second-hand. I’m sure others here can chime in with better first-hand knowledge.

As far as the “special” stuff, I can understand you not wanting to call a number. That then leaves it to you to have pen and paper ready and try and jot down info. It’s like calling into an automated system for movie listings and show times and nobody likes dealing with that. As far as us, we didn’t see anything at DLH but we honestly didn’t look. We were busy enough with the parks that we didn’t leave time for the little niceties. Maybe next time.

Interesting experiences with special stuff in parks and hotels trying to be “great”. We went to WDW during the Year of a Million Dreams but only saw a dream team once, and they were fast-tracking it across Future World at EPCOT. I guess we’re just the kind of family that blends in, so I don’t expect that kind of thing (plus we have no small children anymore). But my kids have really good luck being picked for things and were chosen multiple times for interactive presentations and talked to Crush and all of that. So that works for me!

The only cool experience I had at a hotel was at the Hilton Tower in SF, where I went for a Dell technology show. Dell comp’ed my room, which turned out to be a corner suite on the 37th floor with concierge room access on the 42nd floor for free dinner and drinks.

This was the view I had from my room that night (it will open in your browser, click on it to enlarge it):

http://ronin.roguecc.edu/images/SFPanorama.jpg
1976 - Disneyland ~ 2002 - Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure ~ 2005 - Disneyland ~ 2008 - Walt Disney World - SeaWorld/Discovery Cove ~ 2009 - Disneyland ~ 2011 - Walt Disney World/Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure ~ 2012 - Walt Disney World/Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure
mnmrmustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:10 PM   #285
kaoden39
Hugs

Oh wow what a beautiful picture Mike.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: