Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2009, 05:29 PM   #1
jennapens
Mouseketeer

Southwest Family Boarding?

Does anyone know how many people can board using "family boarding?" DH and I are taking our 1 year old DD to WDW in December. I'm assuming that we won't have a problem with both of us boarding with her. We are also traveling our family, 4 adults and a 5 year old. I didn't know if they could board with us also. No big deal though. We will be spending 8 days with them at Disney. I'm sure we can handle 2 hours sitting in different areas of the plane! =) We're hoping to all get 'A' tickets, so hopefully this won't be an issue.
DisneyWorld Trips - 1983 (CR), 1985 (CR), 1987 (CR), 1988 (off-site - blah), 1989 (CR), 1991 (CR & CBR), 1993 (WL), 1995 (WL), 1997 (WL), 2000 (WL), 2002 (CSR), 2005 (CSR), 2007 (POP), 2009 (POP), 2011 (POP), 2013 (POP), 2014 (WL), 2015 (POP)

Disney Cruise - 2014 (Dream)

Jenn Jeremie Kayla Ralphie Sophie
jennapens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 05:43 PM   #2
stnet
Mouseketeer

We did the family boarding with our DD when she was 4 almost 5. Even with the A passes sooo many people board early with kids since the destination is Disney!! I think they may be able to board early with the 5 year old too. If you don't care about sitting together I wouldn't worry about it otherwise you might be able to save some seats. I wasn't expecting the large number of people who pre boarded and I was so worried about us not being able to sit together that we went ahead and did the preboard.
Register to remove

Old 08-24-2009, 05:57 PM   #3
seashoreCM
All around nice guy.

I have heard stories that when there are lots of small children, airlijne personnel have restricted the family boarding to one adult.

but this doen't have to upset your plans. You can sit aisle and window without overtly saving a seat near the back of the plane and the chances of some stranger wanting the middle seat are very small back there.

Just learned this one (if true).(copied from another thread here) Don't go for the extreme back but instead settle for say half a dozen rows shy. If you take the second to last row the chances of the middle seat being taken later is slightly greater since others finding themselves this far back and no better seats are very likelyt o taek the next seat in sight which is between you. (Avoid the very last row all the time whenever you can; it doesn't recline)
Avoid getting a lemon. The used car should test drive perfectly. Any roughness or hesitation and you should reject it and walk away. Don't accept excuses. Avoid becoming a battered spouse. Your fiance(e) should behave perfectly. Any roughness or outbursts and you should break up for good. Don't accept promises.
seashoreCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:05 PM   #4
disneyfaninaz
It takes faith, trust & pixie dust!

Check in at the 24 hour mark and get your boarding pass. Normally family boarding is for 4 year olds and younger and for immediate family members only, i.e. mom, dad, siblings. If you get a "B" boarding pass use the Family Boarding. If you get an "A" boarding pass then board with the "A" group. If your family members get an "A" boarding pass, they may be able to sit in the same vicinity as you.
disneyfaninaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:25 PM   #5
dancin Disney style
I found one to share with some fab american disers
Could you break off the handle?

I believe that the offical policy is that only one person boards with the child (age 4 or less). It's not really a pre-board any more since it occurs between the A and B groups.

I agree that if you get A group just board in your spot. If you get a B or C send one parent with the child in the family boarding group and head to the back of the plane. You will most likely be able to save a seat back there for the other parent.
Old 08-24-2009, 08:21 PM   #6
DisTwix
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennapens View Post
Does anyone know how many people can board using "family boarding?" DH and I are taking our 1 year old DD to WDW in December. I'm assuming that we won't have a problem with both of us boarding with her. We are also traveling our family, 4 adults and a 5 year old. I didn't know if they could board with us also. No big deal though. We will be spending 8 days with them at Disney. I'm sure we can handle 2 hours sitting in different areas of the plane! =) We're hoping to all get 'A' tickets, so hopefully this won't be an issue.
When we flew Southwest in Feb, Columbus to MCO, we had B boarding on the outgoing flight, boarded with B and had no issues in getting seats together (party of 7). On the return flight, we managed to check in at MCO via the "family line" (did anyone know they had this??? I sure didn't) and we family boarded - all 7 of us. It just wasn't a big deal. We were three adults and 4 kids --- clearly outnumbered, and obviously had to sit together or things would be ugly for everyone.

"Between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before." -- Mae West

"I only hope we don't lose sight of one thing - it was all started by a mouse." -- Walt Disney

"Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, 'Where have I gone wrong?' Then a voice says to me, 'This is going to take more than one night.' " -- Charlie Brown.
DisTwix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 09:16 AM   #7
phred52
I love vacation!

When I flew Southwest earlier in August, they were very specific saying only Mom and Dad could board along with their young child(ren). Aunt, Uncles, Grandparents & other companions had to board using their own boarding passes.

My vote is to get on the internet and check in exactly at the 24 hour mark.
phred52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: