Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2009, 02:47 PM   #1
Dimplenose
Stranger from the outside
I do tend to go over the top in Disneyness

Libby's Trip 2009 - Day 3

Day 1
Day 2

Libby’s 2009 Trip – Day 3

Wednesday 29th July (Pictures are a bit random today)

Today we have an ADR for 11:30 at the Sci-Fi Dine In Theatre. So we are planning to start our day there.

We wake up at 6:30am and stay in bed until the alarm goes off at 7. We’re all up and dressed and off to the food court by 7:45. Have I mentioned how great it is to have 2 bathrooms? Well that’s the best bit of having connecting rooms for us and the kids - although it’s me and DH who are often left waiting while our two teenagers take a bathroom each!

The boys choose Mickey waffles again, DD pancakes and I go for a cinnamon roll and a fruit cup. I’m just about to charge this to the room when I find I don’t have my room key on me. DH buys the food and I leave everyone else eating while I nip (that’s a joke as we’re at the furthest end of the resort) back to the room to look for my key.

As soon as I get back to the room (using DS’s key) I see my own key on the table. I am so relieved as only yesterday I was thinking how easy it would be to use someone else’s key as there are no ID checks and no signature required unless you spend over $50. (I also discover this is true for credit cards!!!)

(This is the table looking tidier than most days!)

Now I’m not so panicked I decide to time my walk back to the food court. It takes 4½ minutes at a brisk walk. I get back to the others to find that DD isn’t feeling too good and has only eaten half her breakfast.
Everyone waits while I eat and then, after rinsing our mugs we return to our room to drop them off.

DD is happy to try for a morning at DHS so we decide just to play it by ear – we’ll have lost nothing if we do decide to come back early but it might take her mind off things to keep busy.

I’d hoped we would get there for opening but it is 9:10 before we are actually entering the park. We head straight for Toy Story Mania and find the queue is already 30 minutes long. The fast pass times clash with our lunch so DD and I say we’ll hang around while the boys do Rock’n’Roller Coaster. (I’m going to treat DD VERY gently this morning.) The fast passes are going thick and fast and it’s not long until a convenient time slot comes up (I did toy with the idea of getting an early pass and using after it’s window – but it’s really important to me to ride this attraction that I don’t want to take a chance this time.)

Once we’ve got our passes I take DD to see One Man’s Dream. I like this show and I think some air conditioning will help DD. We have a quick look around the exhibits (we have been here on our last trip) and within 5 minutes there is an announcement that the film is about to begin.

The film is introduced by an older lady CM who keeps forgetting her lines and having to correct herself. The theatre is almost empty so we are allowed to sit anywhere (no “Move right to the end of the row!” here.) The film is very moving and I am always sorry that Walt himself is no longer at the helm of his business.

After the film we meet up with the boys. We wander along to the times board and as there is only a 10 minute wait for Star Tours they decide to ride that. I still don’t think it’s a good idea for DD to get shaken about, especially now that she thinks she might be able to manage some lunch so we go taking photos while the boys ride. The Jedi Academy is going on outside Start Tours but we don’t stay and watch. (DD admitted that she’s never seen any of the Star Wars films – I’m really surprised as we watch a lot of science fiction at home – but then again I’ve only seen the original 3 with Harrison Ford.)

After Star Tours we go to the animation tour (or talk). We enjoyed the film part of this with Mushu but the lady CM who introduced and interacted with the film had a speech problem which combined with her accent meant I couldn’t understand her at all.

Unfortunately there wasn’t time to stay for the drawing class at the Animation Academy.

It was now time for lunch. We love the Sci-Fi Dine In Theater Restaurant and it’s the only place we’ve eaten at on each of our 4 trips. DD still not feeling 100% so she and I share a rib meal. Ds also has ribs and DH had a chicken sandwich. I’m really impressed when the meal is served as DD and my shared meal has been plated up beautifully on two plates (I don’t know why but I had visions of one meal and an extra plate.) They are obviously used to people sharing meals.

After lunch we go to Toy Story Mania. I can see why it’s so popular (even if our first screen didn’t work). I was sorry to have missed all the details in the regular line but I was glad not to have waited for too long to ride.

It’s now 1pm and getting very busy in the park. WE go back to the hotel to pick up the satnav and some travellers cheques and head off to the Florida Mall.

It takes us about 25 minutes to get there – I’m not convinced that the satnav is totally reliable over here so I’m not sure if we could have done it quicker. We park near JCPenney and enter the mall through the store.
We split up into boys and girls and set a meet up time then go off and shop. DD wastes a lot of our time by needing the loo (connected to this mornings off-colour, maybe) and by the time she’s bought a necklace and a M&Ms t-shirt there’s very little time left for me to have a look around before we are due to meet the boys again.

DH and DS spend most of their time looking for electronics or computer games shops. Overall we are not too impressed with the mall (although I might have been if I’d been on my own). We have ice creams in the foodcourt before returning to ASMu.

We are all tired and have a rest in our rooms. DH and I watch Fox News – there’s lots of scary stuff going on locally. We are also very irritated by a car advert with a little blonde girl in it “Come to Bob Dance where everybody drives” and very amused by a Burger King advert “I’ve got these tiny hands …” which becomes something of a catchphrase for this holiday (in 2005 it was the Appliance Direct advert that amused us – “Wacky Noo Noo!”)

At 5:30 everyone says that they are too tired to do another park this evening so we decide to wander over to ASMovies for tea and to take some photos.

Our trip starts well with a quick walk across the car park and into the Love Bug section. The layout of this resort is better than at Music with none of the buildings too far away from the food court (actually Might Ducks is even nearer to the ASMu food court than its own). We get to the food court and find a lot of improvements in the layout and accessibility of the food and beverage stations. I slightly prefer the way the seating is arranged at the other two All Star resorts as at Movies we are sitting with a full view of the serving counters.

While we are eating we notice that it is getting dark outside. After a quick look in the gift shop (much the same stuff as at Music) we start to head for the exit so we can take some resort photos. As we get to the door we find that a full blown storm is going on overhead and it is raining very heavily. The thunder and lightning are almost simultaneous and we decide it is probably sensible to get another drink and wait for half an hour or so.
We wait and wait, the storm must be circling. I take some photos through the window of the food court. It is very dark outside and the trees are taking a battering from the wind.

I went to get some park maps from reception so we can at least do some planning while we wait.

While I am in the lobby I notice an ambulance parked just outside the door and in the lobby a boy of about 9 or 10 is lying in recovery position. The adults who were with him were chatting and didn’t look too distressed. I do hope he was OK – I wondered if he’d slipped on the shiny floor as lots of people were dripping water onto it as they came in from the rain.

We waited in the food court for 40 minutes and the rain is starting to ease. We have to trek across the car park again to get back to our own resort and although it is still raining, at least it is tepid rain.

Back in the room we dry off and watch “So you think you can dance”, I’m fascinated by Cat Deeley’s new accent – my goodness she’s gone a bit posh.

The rain continued for a couple more hours, but we didn’t venture outside again. We’re still having trouble coping with American time and I’m beginning to wonder if we’ll ever make it to see any fireworks this year!

Last edited by Dimplenose; 08-21-2009 at 04:04 PM.
Dimplenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:21 PM   #2
Ware Bears

Elvis Fan
Fridge Magnet hoarder

DISboards Moderator

Shame that DD wasn't feeling too good.

I love One Man's Dream too, I want to cry when I watch the film.
WDW Holiday Inn Nikki Bird Easter 2004 DLP Explorers August 2005 DLP Explorers Christmas 2005 DLP Explorers August 2006 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Grand Plaza, St Pete Beach Easter 2007 DLP Explorers Halloween 2007 DLP Explorers August 2008 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Disney Wonder Bahamas/Yacht Club Christmas 2009 New Year 2010 DLP Disneyland Hotel May 2011 DLP Newport Bay Club August 2012 DCL Disney Wonder Alaska DL Candy Cane Inn August 2013
Moderator Disneyland Paris
Ware Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-22-2009, 12:50 AM   #3
Pegasus928
DIS Veteran

You seem to have managed to get a lot done depsite DD not feeling too good. Must have been those Kid Gloves you decided to handle her with

I thought it was funny what you said about Cat Deelys accent. It always amuses me how some Brits seem to exaggerate their own accent when talking to Americans. I work with both and notice it almost daily - although I have never understood the reason.
Pegasus928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:01 AM   #4
cannp123165
Very Quizzical

Sounds like a good day - shame about your DD not feeling well though. I love So you think you can dance.
DLR: 2009
DCL: August 2011 (Med)
cannp123165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:19 AM   #5
T16GEM
I must have a funnel cake when I'm in Florida!
Confucious say: Friends don't let friends do AOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimplenose View Post

Back in the room we dry off and watch “So you think you can dance”, I’m fascinated by Cat Deeley’s new accent – my goodness she’s gone a bit posh.

The rain continued for a couple more hours, but we didn’t venture outside again. We’re still having trouble coping with American time and I’m beginning to wonder if we’ll ever make it to see any fireworks this year!

Oh what a shame, maybe they couldn't understand her Brummy accent there - although people always comment on mine! (not sure if that's a good thing! )

i hope you do get to see some fireworks, what a shame that DD was feeling off colour. I think I have missed out day 2 some how so I'm going back to read it!
Old 08-22-2009, 09:21 AM   #6
Lizzy Lemon
DIS Veteran

Hope your DD soon recovered, we were on our way back from Busch Gardens in the coach during that storm, boy did it rain and the lightening, we have never experienced anything like that before. Luckily it had stopped by the time we got back to Orlando.
Crowne Plaza, New York Feb 2011
No WDW This Time July 2010 Trip Report
New York February 2011 Trip Report
Lizzy Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:35 PM   #7
irongirlof12
Am I the only one who loves Quorn Sausages?
I would love to be at Ghiradelli's ice cream parlour with a massive choc sundae

you did a lot with a poorly DD, it is amazing how kids can keep going love the piccies.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:12 PM   #8
Dimplenose
Stranger from the outside
I do tend to go over the top in Disneyness

It reads like a lot but we just pootled along taking things easily. We certainly had an easy evening, it was just a shame we got stranded at ASMo.
Old 08-23-2009, 09:09 AM   #9
thelittlemermaid83
My reign will be a super-awesome thing
I will just live in suspense
I'm officially crazy

Enjoying your report Libby! Sorry to hear that DD wasnt feeling to well.
thelittlemermaid83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:05 PM   #10
jockey
Repeat after me....I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's, I LOVE CROC's!!!!!!

Great day, hope your DD was feeling better the next day
Old 08-24-2009, 09:18 AM   #11
cap'njack.
Totally in love with Lisa_C

Sounds like a good day...shame DD wasn't feeling 100% though
Old 08-24-2009, 07:08 PM   #12
suzycute
DIS Veteran

Sounds like you had a good day despite DD not feeling well
Old 08-27-2009, 05:47 PM   #13
Miffy2003
I've got Saratoga Springs - makes me smile every time I log on!
Yumtastic!!

I also think ASMo is better laid out than the Music and Sports - I'm sure I read that the designers "learnt" from the first two where they could make improvements and then implemented them into the planning for ASMo.

I'm sorry DD wasn't feeling well; it's rotten to be poorly on holiday.
Miffy2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:01 AM   #14
Dizneemad
DIS Veteran

Another interesting read hope the weather cleared up.
I know what you mean about the car advert it was played over and over in May and so annoying.
2009 Boardwalk Villa's 8 days & Conciege Anilmal Kingdom 7 days(DVC May),2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge (Sept) Thank you Mr Tesco, 2010 Boardwalk Villa's(DVC April),2011 California (April), 2011 Boardwalk Villa's(DVC) and Disney Dream(Sept), 2012 Yacht and Beach Club(DVC March),2012 Boardwalk Villa's (DVC Oct),2013 Hong Kong Disney(Apr),Boardwalk Villa's(DVC Oct),2014 Boardwalk Villa's (DVC Oct/Nov)
Dizneemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 05:09 PM   #15
florida sun
Mrs Christopher Eccleston wannabe
Don't you know who I am ??? I was on Dr Who
I'm dizzy just reading

DISboards Moderator

Lovely day Libby, hope your DD was feeling better soon

florida sun is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: