Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2009, 04:39 AM   #1
JoandWayne
Disney Nutters

First or Second Seating for Dinner?

We have selected second seating for Dinner but don't really know if this is the right choice?

We wonder if it affects your on shore excursions - we are doing 10 day mediterranean cruise on 26th May 2010 and it is our first cruise. We thought second seating would give us chance to get back from our day out, get changed and eat dinner after all of the really young kids and families eat on the first sitting. Is this good thinking or not? My kids will be 14 and 10 when we go.

Also, on second seating will we miss the start of the shows?
October 1989 WDW, October 2003 WDW, October 2005 WDW - Pop Century, May 2007 WDW - Pop Century, October 2008 WDW - Pop Century, May 2010 Disney Cruise Line - Europe, October 2010 Port Orleans Riverside

JoandWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 06:38 AM   #2
momof2minnies
DIS Veteran

We have 2nd seating too.Your shows will be before dinner and I would assume most younger families will have 1st seating.
2000 OKW First trip with the kids,2001 OKW First time for my parents,2002 Marriott Grande Vista/OKW,2003 MGV,2004 OKW,2005 March Disney cruise/SSR, July-MGV, 2007 CSR, 2008 Clearwater-day trip, Marathon 2009 OKW,Nov. 2009 CSR then the Magic,Marathon 2010 OKW,June 2010 AKL,Marathon 2011 OKW, Anniversary 2011 POFQ,Disney Dream+BC 2012,Disney Fantasy 2013,Anniversary 2013 POR, Jan 2014 OKW

4/08 First half marathon- Oleksak lumber- Ma., 2:23:35
10/08 Second half marathon-Applefest-Hollis,NH.,2:17:05
01/09 First full marathon- Disney-5:39:24
01/10 5K and Half marathon- with my brother- Disney-2:43:42
01/11 5k and Half marathon-Disney- 2:11:46
4/12 5k Castaway Cay on the Dream with Arynn
momof2minnies is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-24-2009, 08:45 AM   #3
JoandWayne
Disney Nutters

Oh, not sure if I want first seating now if the shows are before dinner
October 1989 WDW, October 2003 WDW, October 2005 WDW - Pop Century, May 2007 WDW - Pop Century, October 2008 WDW - Pop Century, May 2010 Disney Cruise Line - Europe, October 2010 Port Orleans Riverside

Old 08-24-2009, 08:54 AM   #4
Poohbug
Sherlocked

I like first seating because I have young kids and this is the time we eat at home. It was a pain having the kids fall asleep or worse(crabby and winey) while I was trying to enjoy dinner. I ended up taking things to go and eating in the room more than half the time.

Since your kids are older-I'm sure you will not have this problem. You can choose whatever one you would like. I can't see how it gives you more time to get dressed tho unless you don't want to see the shows. I think it would make more sense to have both shows after dinner.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:10 AM   #5
dcladdict-ohio
Mouseketeer

Our Med cruise in 2007 was the first time we had second seating ... that is our preferred time now. There were days when we would not have been back in time to change for dinner if we had early seating. You don't miss the shows because they have an early and later show. The only thing you need to think about is if 10:00 p.m. is too late for your children to finish dinner. My DD is 16 so it is not a factor for us.
2005 7 Day DCL Eastern (diverted from Western)
2006 7 Day DCL Western
2007 11 Day DCL Mediterranean
2008 3 Day land/4 day sea (Animal Kingdom)
2009 7 Day DCL Eastern w/Tortola
2010 12 Day DCL Northern European Capitals
2011 11 Day DCL Mediterranean

dcladdict-ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:21 AM   #6
JoandWayne
Disney Nutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcladdict-ohio View Post
Our Med cruise in 2007 was the first time we had second seating ... that is our preferred time now. There were days when we would not have been back in time to change for dinner if we had early seating. You don't miss the shows because they have an early and later show. The only thing you need to think about is if 10:00 p.m. is too late for your children to finish dinner. My DD is 16 so it is not a factor for us.
I am not sure if I would want to do the shows before dinner! If I have second seating would I definitely have to do the shows before dinner?

Old 08-24-2009, 09:46 AM   #7
shoes99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoandWayne View Post
I am not sure if I would want to do the shows before dinner! If I have second seating would I definitely have to do the shows before dinner?
There are only two shows per night. 6:30PM for the late dining and 8:30PM for the early dining. If you want to go to the 8:30PM show you will have to switch to early seating...which is 5:45PM or 6:00PM depending on the cruise.
shoes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:48 AM   #8
JoandWayne
Disney Nutters

Oh well, if that is the case I think I might want to do early dining. We would end up snacking all the way through the shows and then not be hungry for the main dinner.

Thanks everyone for your help - I really appreciate it.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:51 AM   #9
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Well, the early dinner is 5:45 and early shows are 6:15....so late dinner does place your "early" activities a little later.

We do a late afternoon snack like at 4:30, then don't eat until late dinner. It works well...no snacking for us during the shows. The biggest downside to late is that you're not hungry for the buffets. Also, some of the best kid activities occur during late dinner. That one was tough before she got "old."

We strongly prefer late.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 10:08 AM   #10
JoandWayne
Disney Nutters

Ohhhhh - I am so confused!!!!! Everyone here seems to think second seating is best. Need to speak to DH and see what he thinks.

Please all keep your suggestions and ideas coming!

P.S. Do you pay extra to do character meals onboard i.e. character breakfast?

Old 08-24-2009, 01:18 PM   #11
RedSox68
DIS Veteran

From personal experience -- we have ONLY done late dining -- even when our daughter was 9 on our first cruise. First dining used to be at 6 p.m. and it was just too early for us to worry about rushing back while in port to make that dining time. After 7 cruises, we could never do anything but late dining. There are hardly any young ones at late dining and the dining room is SO much less hectic (you're not rushed out after dessert so they can set up for the next dining rotation).

As for the show being first -- I love it like that. Sometimes we go to the show in our shorts and tees, then go back to the room to change for dinner. I find it so much more relaxing not to have to rush to shower and change for a 6 p.m. dinner.

But yes, you do finish late -- sometimes you don't get out until 10 p.m. If you have a sensitive stomach to eating late, this may bother you. We always take a walk around the decks after dinner to let the food settle.

Nov. 2000 -- Disney Wonder -- 4-night Bahama
Nov. 2002 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
Aug. 2004 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
Aug. 2005 -- Disney Magic -- 14-night Panama Canal
Aug. 2006 -- Disney Wonder -- 10 night Southern Caribbean
Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic -- 10-night Mediterranean
Aug. 2007 -- Disney Magic -- 14-night Transatlantic
Aug. 2008 -- NCL Pride of America -- 7-night Hawaiian & Vow Renewal
Oct. 2009 -- Disney Magic -- 7-night Caribbean
July 2010 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days covering the West
May 2011 -- Disney Dream -- 4-night Bahama
June 2011 -- RV "Land Cruise" -- 30-days finishing the West and South!
May 2012 -- HAL Zaandam -- 7-night Alaska cruise/12 night cruisetour (thus completing our 50th state!)
August 2013 -- Carnival Glory -- 4-night NYC to St John, NB
Sept 2013 -- HAL Eurodam -- 10-night Colors of Canada/NE Cruise from Quebec to NYC
Dec. 2014 -- Disney Fantasy 7-night Eastern with San Juan port (our platinum cruise & 4th Disney ship!)
August 2015 -- Royal Princess -- 12-night British Isles Cruise R/T from Southampton
RedSox68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:44 PM   #12
JoandWayne
Disney Nutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSox68 View Post
From personal experience -- we have ONLY done late dining -- even when our daughter was 9 on our first cruise. First dining used to be at 6 p.m. and it was just too early for us to worry about rushing back while in port to make that dining time. After 7 cruises, we could never do anything but late dining. There are hardly any young ones at late dining and the dining room is SO much less hectic (you're not rushed out after dessert so they can set up for the next dining rotation).

As for the show being first -- I love it like that. Sometimes we go to the show in our shorts and tees, then go back to the room to change for dinner. I find it so much more relaxing not to have to rush to shower and change for a 6 p.m. dinner.

But yes, you do finish late -- sometimes you don't get out until 10 p.m. If you have a sensitive stomach to eating late, this may bother you. We always take a walk around the decks after dinner to let the food settle.
Thanks for the advice. Really appreciate this.

Old 08-24-2009, 03:54 PM   #13
kcashner
DIS Veteran

No, you do not pay extra for the character breakfast on board. The only meal you'll pay extra for is Palo dining.

I agree with PP...sometimes we dress for dinner before the show, sometimes we go to the show in shorts and change between the show and dinner. It's nice to have the flexibility.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:56 PM   #14
stitchlovestink
DIS Veteran

I guess I'll play the opposing role. I would absolutely HATE 2nd seating. I probably wouldn't ever go to the dining room if I had 2nd seating. DH and I could not stand to eat that late at night. We would be miserable all night and into the next morning. I like going to dinner and then seeing the show. but that's JMHO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSox68 View Post

bolding is mine...
We were NEVER rushed out. Actually, a couple of times, I wished that they would've picked up the pace some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoandWayne View Post
Thanks for the advice. Really appreciate this.
I think that this is something that you need to figure out what works for you and your DH. When this question has been asked before, some people have suggested keeping your dining time as close to what time you would eat if you were home (also taking into consideration if you are from the west coast now visiting the east coast, there's already a 3 hr time difference, so later would probably be better). It does seem though that early dining is more popular. I have not heard of anyone not getting 2nd dining that wants it. But I have seen people post what to do as they wanted 1st dining and got 2nd.
Good Luck w/ your decision and enjoy that 10 day cruise! Lucky you to have such a long cruise.
stitchlovestink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 04:09 PM   #15
JoandWayne
Disney Nutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchlovestink View Post
I guess I'll play the opposing role. I would absolutely HATE 2nd seating. I probably wouldn't ever go to the dining room if I had 2nd seating. DH and I could not stand to eat that late at night. We would be miserable all night and into the next morning. I like going to dinner and then seeing the show. but that's JMHO.

bolding is mine...
We were NEVER rushed out. Actually, a couple of times, I wished that they would've picked up the pace some.

I think that this is something that you need to figure out what works for you and your DH. When this question has been asked before, some people have suggested keeping your dining time as close to what time you would eat if you were home (also taking into consideration if you are from the west coast now visiting the east coast, there's already a 3 hr time difference, so later would probably be better). It does seem though that early dining is more popular. I have not heard of anyone not getting 2nd dining that wants it. But I have seen people post what to do as they wanted 1st dining and got 2nd.
Good Luck w/ your decision and enjoy that 10 day cruise! Lucky you to have such a long cruise.
I think I agree with you. My instinct tells me first dining will be better and do the shows later - we are from East Coast - we live in England. Only concern is on days where we are off the boat on excursions - would we be back in time for dinner? Presumably they do get you back in time?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: