Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2009, 11:41 AM   #76
WillowBelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVFF View Post
The "fisheye" 10-17mm Tokina has a distortion that is very "barrel-distortion" like. It is there on purpose for its look. It is the typical characteristic of a wide angle lens as taking a image that is nearly 180 degrees in viewing angle and putting it on a flat piece of paper is not possible without distortion of some kinda. The 11-16mm is a rectilinear ultra-wide angle. These lenses "correct" the fisheye distortion such that horizontal lines are horizontal and vertical are....you guessed it....vertical. However, they have distortion in depth that can be apparent in some shots.

Two different types of lenses for different types of people/shots. Everyone has their preference. By all means post your shots here, we're not trying to say not to. I just didn't want people to get confused between the two different styles of UWA lenses.
Thank you for breaking it down to terms that I can understand . Makes so much sense now.....I'm sure my DH will thank you also as I add yet another lens to my ever growing wish list!
WillowBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 11:37 AM   #77
zackiedawg
WEDway Peoplemover Rider

I'm back from my first Disney trip with my Tamron 10-24 UWA! It was woefully miserably hot and humid, so I wasn't quite inspired to take as many photos as I might have in a cooler season, but the parks were not crowded at all, so that helped. I didn't use tripod at all the whole trip - that was the heat's fault, as walking around with a full bag and tripod just didn't seem very desirable...so I usually just traveled with my camera and mounted lens and one extra lens. The 10-24 was with me each day, as it was fun to play with a new perspective...and I tried it out for a variety of shots from normal landscapes or scenics to perspective-skewed wide look shots. Having the 10mm end was very convenient for those whole building shots or big scene shots that you can't back up enough to capture without a UWA.

The rectilinear type UWAs are great for getting architectural shots from very close, and as long as you hold them level, you can get basically no distortion at all on the horizontal and vertical lines. Here's a smattering of various shots of various types:

Register to remove

Old 09-23-2009, 12:22 PM   #78
Suburbanmom
Oh, SNAP!
I'm more of a Facebook gal

Very nice, Justin!!!

Amy in OHIO...loved the D50 .... thrilled with the D300 ..... blown away by the D700

amyhenkel dot zenfolio dot com
Suburbanmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:37 PM   #79
handicap18
Husband, father of 3, and Disney addict
Keep the game flowin and keep the people participating

Excellent work Justin!!!!
Nikon D600 : Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 : Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D : Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR : Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VRII AF-S: Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM : Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM : SB-900 Speedlight Flash.
handicap18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:46 PM   #80
boBQuincy
I am not carrying three pods
There's something about the smell of the chemicals that just shouts "Photography!"

Regardless of what Spinal Tap tells us, this is one place where 10 is better than 11 (10% better)! Good photos!

I hear you about hot, we just got back last night and it was a challenge carrying much gear around in that weather.

"Take the big pill, and go back to the SLR you know. Take the small micro 4/3 pill and you will never look at SLRs the same way again." a G3 and now a GX7. Photos at: suzieandbob.com

Our model monorail site: http://monorail.suzieandbob.com/

boBQuincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 01:06 PM   #81
Code
DH of Lease, Father of Triplet Boys :)

Great shots Justin!

Check out my WDW photos on flickr (New photo daily - sometimes )
Code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 04:49 PM   #82
Suburbanmom
Oh, SNAP!
I'm more of a Facebook gal

I took the Tokina 11-16 f/2.8 to my son's junior high football game last night. The coach knows I'm a photo junkie and lets me stand with the team...he know's he's gonna get a cool photo composite at the end of the season (LOL). I was standing about 2 feet behind my son. The UWA isn't great for action shots, but it does give an interesting perspective from the sidelines.

Put me in, Coach!
Nikon D300; Tokina 11-16mm at 16mm
ISO: 200; 1/160; f/8

Amy in OHIO...loved the D50 .... thrilled with the D300 ..... blown away by the D700

amyhenkel dot zenfolio dot com
Suburbanmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:09 PM   #83
jfinke
DIS Veteran

My 11-16 rental came today. Much different shooting with something that wide compared to a normal or telephoto lens. I am amazed how close you can get to something and still have the entire thing in frame.
jfinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 07:07 AM   #84
senecabeach
people don't stop playing because they have grown old.....they have grown old because they have stopped playing

Great shots zackiedawg....

My 11-16 arrived on Monday but its been raining here for 2 days and I haven't practiced with it yet. Need to use it a bit before my upcoming trip.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:18 AM   #85
WDWFigment
Owner of Disney Tourist Blog

Clicking the picture takes you to its Flickr page where you can access my EXIF data, etc..

Follow me: Twitter - Instagram - Facebook - Pinterest
WDWFigment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:34 AM   #86
Todd_H
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackiedawg View Post
It was woefully miserably hot and humid, so I wasn't quite inspired to take as many photos as I might have in a cooler season, but the parks were not crowded at all, so that helped. I didn't use tripod at all the whole trip - that was the heat's fault, as walking around with a full bag and tripod just didn't seem very desirable...so I usually just traveled with my camera and mounted lens and one extra lens.
Great shots, Justin! We were there last week and I felt the exact same way about the heat... it just killed my photography mojo. I didn't take but a handful of tripod shots around our resort because I didn't feel like lugging it around, even leaving it in a locker to go back and retrieve later while we were in the parks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBQuincy View Post
I hear you about hot, we just got back last night and it was a challenge carrying much gear around in that weather.
I'm so glad to hear I wasn't the only one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWFigment View Post

Clicking the picture takes you to its Flickr page where you can access my EXIF data, etc..
Great shot, Tom! I thought you guys left for another trip to the World yesterday? Did I read your flickr post wrong?

Here's my contribution (not the Tokina, but the Canon 17-40) that I've posted on a couple of other threads.

Please visit my flickr photostream
Todd_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:37 AM   #87
WDWFigment
Owner of Disney Tourist Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_H View Post
Great shot, Tom! I thought you guys left for another trip to the World yesterday? Did I read your flickr post wrong?

Here's my contribution (not the Tokina, but the Canon 17-40) that I've posted on a couple of other threads.
No, we were packing yesterday. We leave tomorrow. I don't use the internet at all while we're on vacation, so that's my last picture-update for a while...

Follow me: Twitter - Instagram - Facebook - Pinterest
WDWFigment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 10:59 AM   #88
boBQuincy
I am not carrying three pods
There's something about the smell of the chemicals that just shouts "Photography!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_H View Post
Great shots, Justin! We were there last week and I felt the exact same way about the heat... it just killed my photography mojo. I didn't take but a handful of tripod shots around our resort because I didn't feel like lugging it around, even leaving it in a locker to go back and retrieve later while we were in the parks.

My worst "heat moment" last week was on a quick walk from Beach Club to Epcot's Fountain of Nations, carrying my camera, $4MDH with the 10-22, and a tripod. The UWA is a great way to get photos of the fountain without anyone in them since it allows us to get so close to the subject.

Anyway, I left Beach at about 8:00, quickly walked to the fountain, took some (ok, a lot of) photos, and got back to World Showcase before 9:00.
Fortunately I have been riding my bicycle in humid 90 degree weather all Summer for training, it came in handy at WDW!

"Take the big pill, and go back to the SLR you know. Take the small micro 4/3 pill and you will never look at SLRs the same way again." a G3 and now a GX7. Photos at: suzieandbob.com

Our model monorail site: http://monorail.suzieandbob.com/

Last edited by boBQuincy; 09-30-2009 at 11:25 AM.
boBQuincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:02 AM   #89
saturndb
I'm Dave and I approved this Post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWFigment View Post

Tom,

That shot is awesome! Did you do some hdr work on it to get that type of coloring of the palm tree?

Dave

See my FLICKR photos

You wanna hurt me? Go right ahead if it makes you feel any better. I'm an easy target. Yeah, you're right, I talk too much. I also listen too much. I could be a cold-hearted cynic like you... but I don't like to hurt people's feelings. Well, you think what you want about me; I'm not changing. I like... I like me. My wife likes me. My customers like me. 'Cause I'm the real article. What you see is what you get. - Del Griffith

My Gear: Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 1D, Canon D30 IR, , Casio Exilm, Canon 70-200 2.8 L, Canon 17-40 L, Canon 28-70 F2.8 L, Canon 50 1.4, Canon 50 1.8, Canon EF 2X II Extender, BlackRapid, Canon 500D Lens, Cullman Tripod, Gitzo Tripod, gorrillapod and Canon Speedlite 270EX, Canon Speedlite 430EX II, (2) YONGNUO YN-462 CANON FLASH, Zeikos Flash, many back up batteries and memory cards.

saturndb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 11:49 AM   #90
zackiedawg
WEDway Peoplemover Rider

thanks all on the compliments. It was nice to get a new perspective on Disney with the UWA. It is downright freaky how close you can get to things and still fit them in...I think people thought I was a little slow or something when I'm standing a foot away from my subjects and taking shots ("look at that guy with the camera...what is he trying to take a photo of...his friend's nostril?"). You can be standing next to someone with a 'normal' lens who is taking a photo of a door frame, while you're in the same spot taking a photo of the entire building. It came in handy both for avoiding people in shots, and also for giving me the opportunity to shoot some buildings I've never been able to squeeze into the frame because there wasn't any more room to back up.

That heat was just energy-sapping. Hey...I LIVE here - I've had these temps for the past 5 months without let up. There's not really any way to become totally adapted to it - even if you can function longer than others, or handle the sweat better, it still isn't enjoyable...so lugging around big camera bags and tripods just never sounded all that enticing.

This December I'll be back up there, and hopefully accompanied by much cooler weather so I can really take my time and enjoy shooting all around the parks with the UWA!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: