Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2009, 10:45 AM   #61
Tnkrbelle565
DIS Veteran

I'm renting (I know...I know...the horror!) this lens for my trip next month. Any tips for dummies?
Old 09-16-2009, 11:18 AM   #62
VVFF
Veggie Veggie Fruit Fruit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnkrbelle565 View Post
I'm renting (I know...I know...the horror!) this lens for my trip next month. Any tips for dummies?
I wouldn't say there are any "rules" to photography myself. However, in general, avoid putting objects that are "geometrically important"(as in their shape) near the sides of the frame. Also try not to shoot upwards or downwards. There are some weird effects you get by doing this and its best experienced by "playing" with the lens a bit beforehand.
VVFF is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-16-2009, 11:41 AM   #63
Tnkrbelle565
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVFF View Post
I wouldn't say there are any "rules" to photography myself. However, in general, avoid putting objects that are "geometrically important"(as in their shape) near the sides of the frame. Also try not to shoot upwards or downwards. There are some weird effects you get by doing this and its best experienced by "playing" with the lens a bit beforehand.
Sorry...should have clarified. Since it's a rental it won't be arriving in enough time for me to really play with it beforehand. Thanks for the tips. They are fabulous!
Old 09-16-2009, 11:56 AM   #64
VVFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnkrbelle565 View Post
Sorry...should have clarified. Since it's a rental it won't be arriving in enough time for me to really play with it beforehand. Thanks for the tips. They are fabulous!
I believe in the review of the Canon 10-22mm on www.cameralabs.com they show some of these distortion effects due to the wide angle in the "video tour". Check it out. Hopefully I am remembering correctly...I believe they show the results of shooting upwards at a tree.

In addition, our own WDWfigment recently experienced these distortion effects when putting SSE on the right side of the wide angle frame. Due to the wide angle emphasis of depth it turned SSE slightly oblong. Nothing is necessarily wrong with this, but you may be disappointed if its not the look you were going for.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:09 PM   #65
handicap18
Husband, father of 3, and Disney addict
Keep the game flowin and keep the people participating

Besides Disney, one of the other reasons I wanted to get an UWA was for my tours of ballparks. Only did "America's Most Beloved Ballpark" this year, but hope to get to more over the coming years.

Here are a few of Fenway Park during the ballpark tour....

From the right field pavilion:

From the press box:

Looking put at the left field foul pole

Looking down the left field line from the "Monster" Seats:

Left field/3rd base grandstand seats... Oldest seats in MLB. Added to Fenway in the mid 1930's and haven't changed since.
Nikon D600 : Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 : Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D : Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR : Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VRII AF-S: Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM : Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM : SB-900 Speedlight Flash.
handicap18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 01:04 PM   #66
Tnkrbelle565
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all the tips.

LOVE LOVE LOVE the Fenway pics. Can't wait to show my DH when i get home. He's going as Youk for MNSSHP
Old 09-16-2009, 05:26 PM   #67
jfinke
DIS Veteran

I found an imported one last night with no warranty. While I have been thinking about it today, they have raised the price by $40. I guess that that is a sign I should not get it.

Thinking about a siggy 30 1.4.
jfinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 05:34 PM   #68
jfinke
DIS Veteran

Well, I rented a 11-16 for my trip on Friday. It should get here on Wednesday. I got it for 2 weeks just to give me some buffer time.
jfinke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 06:50 AM   #69
senecabeach
people don't stop playing because they have grown old.....they have grown old because they have stopped playing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinke View Post
Well, I rented a 11-16 for my trip on Friday. It should get here on Wednesday. I got it for 2 weeks just to give me some buffer time.

Congratulations jfinke !!
Mine arrived yesterday.
Can't wait to start playing with it maybe today....after I finish my household chores of course...
Super shots handicap18 !!
Old 09-22-2009, 07:50 AM   #70
WillowBelle
DIS Veteran

I've rented the Tokina 2x's. I am in heaven with this lens. Renting it again in October for our trip to TX, LA and GA. Crossing fingers DH realizes how much I love this lens and buys it for me for Christmas.

Here's a few I had uploaded to my Smugmug page. All are handheld. BTW, I prefer the bend with the lens, as you'll see .

10mm.

10mm.

17mm.

17mm.

13mm.

17mm.

10mm.

17mm.
WillowBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 08:53 AM   #71
VVFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowBelle View Post
I've rented the Tokina 2x's. I am in heaven with this lens. Renting it again in October for our trip to TX, LA and GA. Crossing fingers DH realizes how much I love this lens and buys it for me for Christmas.

Here's a few I had uploaded to my Smugmug page. All are handheld. BTW, I prefer the bend with the lens, as you'll see .

10mm.

10mm.

17mm.

17mm.

13mm.

17mm.

10mm.

17mm.
Lets clarify that you are referring to the fisheye lens rather than the rectilinear UWA most people have thus far been discussing. Just don't want anyone getting confused of why there is fisheye distortion in yours but not everyone elses.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:07 AM   #72
WillowBelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVFF View Post
Lets clarify that you are referring to the fisheye lens rather than the rectilinear UWA most people have thus far been discussing. Just don't want anyone getting confused of why there is fisheye distortion in yours but not everyone elses.
Right, sorry. Just stumbled on this thread this morning. At the beginning the Tokina was the lens that was referred to. Zoomed to its highest potential it just becomes a UWA. When I finally purchase one, it will be the fisheye .
Old 09-22-2009, 09:23 AM   #73
Code
DH of Lease, Father of Triplet Boys :)

Quote:
Right, sorry. Just stumbled on this thread this morning. At the beginning the Tokina was the lens that was referred to.
This thread has only had rectilinear ultra-wide so far, but I say as long as it's <16mm it's welcome here Tokina makes the rectilinear 11-16mm f/2.8, which is what Tom's original post is about, as well as the fisheye 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 that you adore.

Quote:
Zoomed to its highest potential it just becomes a UWA.
Hmm, not really. There is still field curvature at 17mm, just not quite as dramatic

Check out my WDW photos on flickr (New photo daily - sometimes )
Code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:28 AM   #74
WillowBelle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code View Post
This thread has only had rectilinear ultra-wide so far, but I say as long as it's <16mm it's welcome here Tokina makes the rectilinear 11-16mm f/2.8, which is what Tom's original post is about, as well as the fisheye 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 that you adore.

Hmm, not really. There is still field curvature at 17mm, just not quite as dramatic
Drat, thought I was going to have something good to write about here. For once I thought I understood what you guys were talking about. Guess not . Back to the other side of the pool again.
Old 09-22-2009, 11:25 AM   #75
VVFF

Quote:
Drat, thought I was going to have something good to write about here. For once I thought I understood what you guys were talking about. Guess not . Back to the other side of the pool again.
The "fisheye" 10-17mm Tokina has a distortion that is very "barrel-distortion" like. It is there on purpose for its look. It is the typical characteristic of a wide angle lens as taking a image that is nearly 180 degrees in viewing angle and putting it on a flat piece of paper is not possible without distortion of some kinda. The 11-16mm is a rectilinear ultra-wide angle. These lenses "correct" the fisheye distortion such that horizontal lines are horizontal and vertical are....you guessed it....vertical. However, they have distortion in depth that can be apparent in some shots.

Two different types of lenses for different types of people/shots. Everyone has their preference. By all means post your shots here, we're not trying to say not to. I just didn't want people to get confused between the two different styles of UWA lenses.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: