Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2009, 07:47 AM   #31
KarenAylwood
It wouldn't be the holidays without Stove Top!
The dancing banana gets me every time...
I do have a secret squeel of joy
"Humps" has grown on me like a fungus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve's Girl View Post
Take a look at the Tokina 12-24. The older version is $399. As I understand it, the only major difference between the older version and the new version at $499 is a focus motor. So, for Canon the focus motor is a non-issue.
I'm sorry, just to clarify- it doesn't need a focus motor for Canons? I have a Canon Rebel XSi (eventually will upgrade to 40D probably). Why does it not need a focus motor for Canons??
Old 09-04-2009, 08:24 AM   #32
annnewjerz
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenAylwood View Post
I'm sorry, just to clarify- it doesn't need a focus motor for Canons? I have a Canon Rebel XSi (eventually will upgrade to 40D probably). Why does it not need a focus motor for Canons??
Canons have a focus motor in the body, therefore it doesn't need to be in the lens. Some dSLRs like the Nikon D40 & D60 don't have a focus motor in the body--so in order for a lens to AF on a D40 or D60, it has to have a focus motor in the lens. Up until recently, this was a common complaint for D40 and D60 owners because the only inexpensive fast prime Nikon offered was the 50mm f/1.8, which wouldn't autofocus with those camera models.

So I'm guessing the newer version of the Tokina 12-24 put a focus motor in the body to make sure that everyone could use it.
Register to remove

Old 09-04-2009, 10:44 AM   #33
senecabeach
people don't stop playing because they have grown old.....they have grown old because they have stopped playing

OK...for 2 days I've been trying to bypass this tempting thread....
Ya got me today...

For months I've been vasilating about getting either this WA or (for fun) a Nikon fisheye this year for my D80. Each time...I slap myself a few times and wind up saying..nah, ya don't need it, your 18-135 is good enough, why spend the $$, la, la, la..
Most of the reviews have been excellent on this lens, though, my lenses are nikon and I do have that fear of going with others and yea, I did look at the widest 2.8 nikon..$$$$.

So...when you guys get your lenses this week, can you post a review and finally help push me over this fence???

BTW.... I also noticed that there are special "Wide Angle Filters" available for this lens. Is this "Special" for WA lenses or can a normal filters work??

Last edited by senecabeach; 09-04-2009 at 11:02 AM.
senecabeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:55 AM   #34
Suburbanmom
Oh, SNAP!
I'm more of a Facebook gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by senecabeach View Post
So...when you guys get your lenses this week, can you post a review and finally help push me over this fence???
I'm sitting on the front curb watching for the brown truck right now.

Amy in OHIO...loved the D50 .... thrilled with the D300 ..... blown away by the D700

amyhenkel dot zenfolio dot com
Suburbanmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:07 AM   #35
annnewjerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by senecabeach View Post

I got mine yesterday and took a few test shots of a classic car out in the parking lot of my office and I've got to say, they looked pretty nice to me! I'll be testing it out much more this weekend but just from my test shots I'd say this is A. going to be a fun lens B. be a lens that has a real learning curve, I guess you can't just shoot anything with it and C. the pictures looked nice and sharp at f/3.? or whatever I was shooting at, although I haven't done 100$ crop or anything to really check it out.

I really like to buy Nikon lenses, but that being said, I think my Sigma 30 is my favorite lens yet and it's a third-party---so I definitely wouldn't write them off, especially for more of a specialty lens that you won't be shooting with every day.

FWIW, I am borrowing a fellow Photo DISers 10.5 fisheye right now and it's really fun also. I'll try to post some shots from each in the upcoming week or so if I shoot anything of interest. I have been looking on Craig's List in the NJ/Philly area and found a Nikon 10.5 fisheye for $450!! That's a steal (said the lens was in good condition, but I didn't check it out since I don't have $450 right now to spend).

I'll try to give you a more comprehensive review of the UWA after I do more than just parking lot and living room shots with it.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:14 AM   #36
WDWFigment
Owner of Disney Tourist Blog

I have already offered my review, and I think my pictures speak for themselves as to the sharpness and quality of the lens, so I assume you're talking to those who recently bought the lens...

Quote:
Originally Posted by annnewjerz View Post
I got mine yesterday and took a few test shots of a classic car out in the parking lot of my office and I've got to say, they looked pretty nice to me! I'll be testing it out much more this weekend but just from my test shots I'd say this is A. going to be a fun lens B. be a lens that has a real learning curve, I guess you can't just shoot anything with it and C. the pictures looked nice and sharp at f/3.? or whatever I was shooting at, although I haven't done 100$ crop or anything to really check it out.

I really like to buy Nikon lenses, but that being said, I think my Sigma 30 is my favorite lens yet and it's a third-party---so I definitely wouldn't write them off, especially for more of a specialty lens that you won't be shooting with every day.

FWIW, I am borrowing a fellow Photo DISers 10.5 fisheye right now and it's really fun also. I'll try to post some shots from each in the upcoming week or so if I shoot anything of interest. I have been looking on Craig's List in the NJ/Philly area and found a Nikon 10.5 fisheye for $450!! That's a steal (said the lens was in good condition, but I didn't check it out since I don't have $450 right now to spend).

I'll try to give you a more comprehensive review of the UWA after I do more than just parking lot and living room shots with it.
For what it's worth, in my completely unscientific testing, I found that the lens was noticeably sharper at f/8 than at f/2.8. I think f/8-f/9 the lens' sharpest.

Follow me: Twitter - Instagram - Facebook - Pinterest
WDWFigment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:29 AM   #37
Code
DH of Lease, Father of Triplet Boys :)

Two more from last year... I'm running out of UWA shots worth sharing Tomorrow is one year since the start of our last trip.. we know our future trips with our boys will be more awesome than we can even imagine, but man are we having major withdrawals for now!

As always they are taken with Sigma 10-20mm on Sony A700

10mm, f/4, 1/15 sec, ISO 800

10mm, f/10, 1/160 sec, ISO 200

Check out my WDW photos on flickr (New photo daily - sometimes )
Code is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:44 AM   #38
annnewjerz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code View Post
10mm, f/4, 1/15 sec, ISO 800
Love this shot!
Old 09-05-2009, 03:26 PM   #39
handicap18
Husband, father of 3, and Disney addict
Keep the game flowin and keep the people participating

While the Tokina seems to have gotten a lot of posts recently, I don't know that a lot of people have one. A lot of people seem to want one, either that lens or the Sigma 10-20mm.

I got a lot of cool shots from my Sigma 10-20mm on my last trip:

Nikon D600 : Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 : Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D : Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR : Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VRII AF-S: Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM : Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM : SB-900 Speedlight Flash.
handicap18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 03:29 PM   #40
handicap18

Nikon D600 : Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 : Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D : Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR : Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VRII AF-S: Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM : Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM : SB-900 Speedlight Flash.

Last edited by handicap18; 09-05-2009 at 03:35 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 03:34 PM   #41
handicap18

Old 09-05-2009, 03:36 PM   #42
WDWFigment
Owner of Disney Tourist Blog

Quote:
Originally Posted by handicap18 View Post

I really like this shot. You're probably one of the last people to get a shot of this scene! RIP Skyway building!

Follow me: Twitter - Instagram - Facebook - Pinterest
WDWFigment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:27 PM   #43
Suburbanmom
Oh, SNAP!
I'm more of a Facebook gal

Quote:
Originally Posted by handicap18 View Post

This is the shot I really wanted last year, but couldn't get because my widest was 24mm on a DX camera. I'll be getting it next time. I really like it.

Amy in OHIO...loved the D50 .... thrilled with the D300 ..... blown away by the D700

amyhenkel dot zenfolio dot com
Suburbanmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:57 PM   #44
annebolyard
Earning My Ears

I can't wait to use my new wide angle lens on our next trip in November!
annebolyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 07:29 AM   #45
senecabeach
people don't stop playing because they have grown old.....they have grown old because they have stopped playing

Quote:
Suburbanmom...I'm desperately trying to join the UWA cult. I am pursuing an ad on Craigslist for a Sigma 10-20mm. If the people would ever reply to my queery, I will probably purchase it after a successful tryout.
Amy...

So...did the little brown truck come??

Well....It must be fate...
Went on craigslist (for the 1st time yesterday)... and....you guessed it..
Quote:
11-16mm Tokina 2.8f Lens for Nikon DSLR bodies in mint condition.
and soooo close to my home and $100. less than the cheapest new ones Ive seen on line.

Oh yea...I sent a queery too!! Ive never used Craigslist...If I get a response..guess we meet..try out the lens..and then the deals done. Hope this is no kind of scam. CL is a bit scarry to me.

Last edited by senecabeach; 09-07-2009 at 07:39 AM.
senecabeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: