Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2009, 10:49 AM   #1
Aliceacc
We had a wonderful time, but did have our moments!

Pretty much down to my hips on one side, but nice and perky on the other

What worked, what didn't, take two

This was our 2nd family trip to WDW, and I've got to tell you: additional hours on the DIS, along with a better idea of what we were doing, made for a fantastic trip!!!! Last year I sang the praises of misters and Garden Grocer. ( http://www.disboards.com/showthread....ghlight=worked )
So here's this year's version, the good, the bad, and the ugly:

THE GOOD:
- Rope Drop. It's the single best suggestion I can offer. I put in a 6:45 am wake up call each day. I showered, hit Captain Cook's for coffee and breakfast stuff, and woke everyone when I got back. We were out of the room by 8 am-ish every day, and at rope drop on time.

- Fastpasses. I learned this year on the DIS (as well as TGM and Ridemax) that Disney rarely enforces the closing time on your fastpass. That's HUGE! We collected FP's whenever possible during the morning, then did them 1-2-3 before leaving the parks in early afternoon (or gave them away if the kids were really done.) I gave LOTS of FP tutorials to people in line who seemingly had never heard of them.Edited to add: this is NO LONGER TRUE!!!! Fastpass times are now STRICTLY ENFORCED.

- Baby Swap. OK, I've got to admit that my 6 year old put a HUGE crimp in my carefully laid out plans. (This year she planted her feet firmly on the ground and announced that a lot of the rides she loved last year now terrified her-- Pirates, Splash, Thunder Mountain, Soarin', Spaceship EArth... the list goes on and on.) So much for my Ridemax plans. But knowing that babyswaps exist was a huge help. The CMs were more than willing to let one of us stay with Kira, then the other jumped in with the 2 older kids and didn't have to wait on line. (The older 2 LOVED it!!!) It was a real vacation saver!

- Being informed. I was at rope drop at the MK one day with a woman and her 8 year old son. She hadn't a clue where she was going next; she was asking me where the shows were. I asked the boy what type of rides he liked, then steered her towards Bug Thunder, Splash, and Pirates. She also wanted to know how much FP's cost. I'm hoping she had a wonderful time, but also thinking that she took a real risk that the person standing next to her wouldn't give her the right advice.

The Bad:
-Having my son pull a wire out of his brand new braces at DHS on a Saturday morning. It effectively killed the rest of the day at DHS-- he was afraid that if he bit into anything, it would hurt. Fortunately, he was OK once our orthodontist called back and told him not to sweat it, just to stick the wire someplace where it wouldn't hurt, or even pull it out.

-Forgetting my cell phone the night the "boys" went to Disney Quest an hour or two before us. It's HARD to find a pay phone in DTD-- they're very well spaced out. And it's hard to hear your ringing cell phone at Disney Quest. And it's reallly NOT a good idea to leave your resort with only $10 in your pocket and 2 hungry kids, on the assumption that you'll meet your husband later. (especially if you're going to use some of that money on the afore-mentioned pay phones!) The girls had ice cream for dinner in the 2 hours it took us to meet up with the "boys"... it was the cheapest, most filling thing I could think of.

The Ugly: A 4 hour flight delay on the return trip. We were scheduled to leave at 7:45 pm, but didn't take off till almost midnight. Fortunately we were in the terminal, not on the tarmac. Jetblue did give us each a $50 voucher for a future trip; a night in a local motel and an early trip the next morning would have been a better choice.

We had the BEST TRIP-- I can't wait until we can find the money to return in a few years!!!

I've been BOO'ed by pigletgirl!
numerous trips in college and one together in 1990 August 2008 and August 2009: Polynesian. August 2012: Beach Club Yacht Club in 2014!!
(Thanks, Disney Destinations, for your past generosity. And to the Beach Club staff for all their assistance in our 2012 medical crisis.)

Last edited by Aliceacc; 05-04-2013 at 06:57 AM.
Aliceacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:31 PM   #2
Katie Dawn
DIS Veteran

Thanks for sharing! So glad you had a magical trip!

As you plan, remember... there's nothing magical about being exhausted.

January 2010 Trip to the World: Absolutely Wonderful! Thank You Disboards!
Katie Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-22-2009, 12:48 PM   #3
kiranic
Mouseketeer

I just saw your DD name is Kira. I have a Kira also, she is 8 this year. I hope she doesn't change her mind about the rides she thought were so cool last year...she rode every big rollercoster Disney has!
Old 08-22-2009, 12:57 PM   #4
debbiedana
DIS Veteran

Thank you so much for posting this. Information like this is some of the most helpful you can get on the Dis.

Glad you had a great trip and hope you can start planning soon for your next!
debbiedana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:58 PM   #5
SLM
DIS Veteran

Glad you had such a great trip! I learn something every time I log on to these boards! Being able to use fastpasses past the window was one of the biggest-my family was so impressed-and a little leery until they saw it worked!
SLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:18 PM   #6
danny1649
Will be wearing some lime green
I just love to dance
Armed with this information I might be able to out score DW for once

DISboards Moderator

Thanks For Sharing

Great information to help your fellow Disrers
danny1649 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: