Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Orlando Hotels and Attractions
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2009, 10:32 PM   #1
MBPrincessMoM
Mouseketeer

The nick hotel

We are just back from our Florida trip. The reviews on the Nick hotel were mixed and I can see why now. Here are some thoughts:

The good

The kids loved the themes including the slime.
We had the three bedroom so we had lots of room.
We were on the ground floor by the lobby so no elevator issues and less noise.
The a/c worked very well.
The maid service was prompt (we called every day for the time we wanted the room cleaned).
Having a "full" kitchen was nice (no oven).
Nice TVs - five in all.

The bad

The kitchen equipment was missing and we had to call for everything.
The wake up calls did not work.
The phones worked sometimes.
No door on the kids bedroom (a sign explains that it violates some Orlando statue.)
The safe was missing from one room.
We didn't have Sponge Bob as the character and so switched rooms.

The ugly

The pool area was so crowded and loud. The kids loved it but there is very little shade. We rented a cabana each time. The hotel said nine of us could share one without telling us they are tiny and hot. There are long lines for the slides. The pool closes at 3 for half an hour.
MBPrincessMoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:42 PM   #2
SnowWitch
DIS Veteran

I am trying to not be discouraged by the less than great reviews. We have never stayed off property in Orlando, we have owned at the BWV's since 1999 and prior to that always stayed onsite. When doing US/IOA we stay at a Loews resort. My 4 yr old DD is obsessed w/ the Nick Hotel and I booked it for a spur of a moment trip in mid Oct. Doing MNSSP and SeaWorld only.

I am going in with the mind set 1.) I am paying $79 per night for a 1 bedroom 2.) its a Holiday Inn on drugs (someone elses description) 3.) I am doing this for my DD.

With this mind set will I be happy? Its only for 4 nights.
Register to remove

Old 08-26-2009, 12:25 AM   #3
MBPrincessMoM
Mouseketeer

Yes. Get a room not facing the pool on the ground floor. You want the higher numbered buildings too.
MBPrincessMoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:12 AM   #4
momto3dizkidz
Mouseketeer

We stayed there and the kids LOVED it. We thought it was crowded, loud and crummy, but kept reminding ourselves that that particular trip was for the kids and we enjoyed it through their eyes :-)
momto3dizkidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:11 PM   #5
maciemouse
DIS Veteran

If you are used to the BWV, you will be disappointed. Know before you go that this hotel is below par and you might be okay. I think the local holiday inn is better than the Nick Hotel. Being that you are going in October, maybe you won't have the crowds, old food by the pool, dirty and wet diapers by the pool, and kids running up and down the halls at 2 am. Good luck!
maciemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:23 PM   #6
scdisneyguy
Mouseketeer

My 7 year old love it, the older ones could care less. Basically it's an overpriced Holiday Inn with a curtain and some paint and a ps2. That is the truth of it. Yes the pool area is big and kids go crazy for it and some of the activites at the hotel are cool, but let's face it, most people are at parks all day and don't even take advantage of the things they offer. If I got a way discounted room, I might force myself to take the family there again but that is a MAYBE. At full price or near rack rate, No chance in HADES we go back. I mean at a park all day, back in time for all the activities to be over, I got a wii , 360, and PS3 I can bring with me, don't need a ps2 so I can spend more money renting games from them in the arcade. I guess it was good in one sense, taught us a lesson, and like I said the younger one enjoyed it. Best part was the character breakfast for us, just one man's .02 worth.
scdisneyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 09:22 PM   #7
auntyjenn
If you can't say it with a puppet, its not worth saying
I must laugh every time too, because I just did

What's included in the hotel price and what do you pay extra for? There is an extra resort fee ($25?) per night to and you get to use the pools right? Are there movies and shows that are extra or are some free? I was kind of confused on their site.
Old 08-28-2009, 07:55 AM   #8
SnowWitch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciemouse View Post
If you are used to the BWV, you will be disappointed. Know before you go that this hotel is below par and you might be okay. I think the local holiday inn is better than the Nick Hotel. Being that you are going in October, maybe you won't have the crowds, old food by the pool, dirty and wet diapers by the pool, and kids running up and down the halls at 2 am. Good luck!
If I discover dirty/wet diapers by the pool I will throw a fit.
Old 08-28-2009, 12:12 PM   #9
chrisann
DIS Veteran

I think alot of it depends on what you're used to, what you're paying per night, and when you're going. We've been 5X, and still love it. That being said, we've never paid more than $125/night, we acknowledge that it's geared towards kids and not a 5 star adult hotel, and with the exception of this year when we went in March Break(yes it was busy, but it's so huge and we expected it to be busy, it wasn't that bad), we've always gone in non-peak times. My kids consider it part of the Florida experience and we enjoy it too! Have fun!

Me(34) DH(37) DS(6) DS(10)
October 2004-H.I.F.S.---Dec. 2005- Nick Hotel---October 2006- Liki Tiki, Nick Hotel
October 2007- OKW, Marriott Horizons, Nick Hotel--November 2008-Boardwalk Villas, Bonnet Creek
March 2009- Bella Piazza,1st CRUISE ---Disney Wonder ,Nick Hotel
Dec.2009--Nick Hotel, Marriott Horizons(Harbour Lake)
chrisann is offline   Reply With Quote