Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California) > Disneyland Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2010, 06:08 PM   #46
GRUMPY PIRATE
First rule, always!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckdsnynt View Post
Me too!

I also remember (this is way, way back!) the house of the future. Anyone remember that? The applicances worked by themselves I think. The house was like a cube shape, maybe, and supposed to be equipped like a house in the year 2000. This would have been about 1960 or so I think.
I remember seeing that on world of disney, but it was gone before I was first able to visit Disneyland!

they should bring back an updated one!
Old 04-18-2010, 06:11 PM   #47
Judy from Boise
Watch out – might take away your birthday
Not superfluous in the least!
DIS World Traveller

DISboards Moderator

Yesterland has a great feature on the house of tomorrow! I am a total mid century modern freak.....I would move in in a second!
Judy from Boise is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-18-2010, 06:23 PM   #48
The.Epcot.Man
Mouseketeer

tickets for rides
20K Leagues Under the Sea
If you had wings
Andrew Duggan as the father in COP
Stormtroopers on TPM
seeing the tree of life as an oil rig**

my father taking me in 1980, telling me he and my mother were getting divorced on the plane ride home. I had such a bad association with WDW, I didn't return until March 2009 with my own family [DW & DD]....we went back in January 2010 and are returning this October.

**I didn't see the oil rig on site....but in transport!**

Last edited by The.Epcot.Man; 04-18-2010 at 06:42 PM. Reason: added info about TOL
The.Epcot.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:58 PM   #49
bonofreak
Has really cute toes
I STILL sing the Carousel of Progress song!

I am enjoying reading all these memories!

I remember going on Pirates when it first opened and my dear sister had me convinced that real people were going to start grabbing people on the boats; needless to say I was scared to death and screamed bloody murder throughout the ride, embarrassing my sister who wanted me to be quiet!

I loved the Pack Mules!

My sister and I used to always get a humungous dill pickle on Main Street and listen to the gossip on the party line phones.

My brother got a shrunken head at the Magic shop. It glowed in the dark and it scared me! ( I guess my siblings loved to scare me!)

I remember standing in front of the Haunted Mansion while it was still under construction and we thought it was so far off that it would be completed!

I remember when they closed FantasyLand and we had to wait for it to be reopened after they changed it.

I loved theSkyway Buckets, they were fun to ride, plus it saved a little walking.

I remember driving to Disneyland and seeing the Matterhorn from the freeway. Even though it probably took us about 20 minutes to get there from home, it seemed like FOREVER!

I remember walking under the arches as you enter that fabulous world of Disney...saying to myself, "I'm here! I'm really here!!!" Oh heck, I STILL feel that way!

I remember on our way out stopping to shop on Main Street...heck, I STILL do that, too!

bonofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:34 PM   #50
Diznygrl
Disneyland Fanatic
But really, let's get real. I've never met a donut I didn't like

The Main Street Magic Shop is still there...they shut it down temporarily, but it's been back for at least 4 months now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disneylvrforever View Post
The Monorail Cafe & having a placemat where you had to find Mickey (like Where's Waldo)
I still have mine! It hung on my bedroom wall for many years...now it's folded and stored away...I also have a Monorail Cafe frisbee they were giving away one time. I really miss that place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonofreak View Post
My brother got a shrunken head at the Magic shop. It glowed in the dark and it scared me! ( I guess my siblings loved to scare me!)
Oh my gosh, my brother got one of those too! Actually, I think it was a glow in the dark skull and he got it in Adventureland, but it was creepy! It was ugly and it had this yucky long white hair...back at the hotel he would taunt me with it, or lay it on the floor next to the bed to scare me.

Fantasy Waters at DLH. It was a great way to get a solid dose of Disney magic if you just got to DL a few hours before and weren't using your park tickets yet.

I remember before Toontown, Disney Afternoon Avenue!

I, too, remember walking across the street and into DL's parking lot from The Magic Lamp Motel. Oh goodness, what a dive!! But it's what we could afford at the time.

When Big Thunder Ranch was a regular barbecue restaurant and none of this Celebration Roundup stuff.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:04 AM   #51
Teki
Love the Indi hats!
My family takes odd pics like that every time we go

I remember when toon town was new, when goofys house was a bounce house and when I was no longer small enough to go in it
Teki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 06:08 PM   #52
bonofreak
Has really cute toes

Oh Diznygrl, you are right, when you described that horrible looking shrunken head with the long white hair, that's what my brother had too! He also bought one that hung from a string though, with long black hair and that's the one he got from the Magic Shop I was thinking of that one originally. But as soon as you described that other one...yikes! He had both of those! That's how older brothers are!!!

I also remember when my High School band got the chance to march around Disneyland and we wound up standing on the walk-way of America Sings, performing. What fun that was, we all got in for free and after we changed clothes, we were able to stay the entire day for free! I have pictures of us there from 1977.

I also remember every year when we got to go on "Hughes" nights in the 1960's and 70's. My Dad worked there and they closed the parks to all but Hughes employees. That was great fun because the park was not very full and we were able to go on so many rides and not have the wait. Those were the days!

bonofreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 01:54 AM   #53
skiingfast
Has had no bacon
Skiing fast to chocolate
But, will he succeed?

I remember:

Plain gray subs,
Fantastyland looked like a circus,
Riding the skyway through the Matterhorn
Riding the People Movers then the rocket rods, then nada...
Talking/singing Bears
Canoeing around Tom's Island, with a cabin afire at the north end,
Going to Mars,
Plastic flowers on Jungle...no...Main Street
And the saddest thing, getting in my car in the giant parking lot.
skiingfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:44 PM   #54
Diznygrl
Disneyland Fanatic
But really, let's get real. I've never met a donut I didn't like

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckdsnynt View Post
Me too!
I also remember (this is way, way back!) the house of the future. Anyone remember that? The applicances worked by themselves I think. The house was like a cube shape, maybe, and supposed to be equipped like a house in the year 2000. This would have been about 1960 or so I think.
LOL, actually, like everything else in Tomorrowland back then, the House of the Future was supposed to represent what life would be like in the super futuristic year of.... *drumroll*....1986!

Meanwhile, I'm STILL waiting for my flying car!!
Old 05-09-2010, 06:08 PM   #55
6Smiles
DIS Veteran

For those of you who remember the older version of the submarine ride was there music on the ride and if so what was the music.

I have this memory of being on a yellow submarine singing "We all live in the yellow submarine ...." But I don't know if it was just something goofy my family did or if that was the music. But this memory seems to be tied to going and seeing ET props, sitting on Elliott's bike and "flying on the bike", K.I.T.T. (car from Knight Rider) and the bridge collapsing and Jaws scaring the bejeebers out of me!

I must be dating myself big time but if anyone could help me figure it out it would be greatly appreciated!

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY TO ALL THE MOMS!
Old 05-10-2010, 01:24 AM   #56
spacemermaid
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6Smiles View Post
For those of you who remember the older version of the submarine ride was there music on the ride and if so what was the music.

I have this memory of being on a yellow submarine singing "We all live in the yellow submarine ...." But I don't know if it was just something goofy my family did or if that was the music. But this memory seems to be tied to going and seeing ET props, sitting on Elliott's bike and "flying on the bike", K.I.T.T. (car from Knight Rider) and the bridge collapsing and Jaws scaring the bejeebers out of me!

I must be dating myself big time but if anyone could help me figure it out it would be greatly appreciated!

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY TO ALL THE MOMS!

I don't remember what music (if any) was played in the original Subs, though, IIRC, the music that was played in the line where you'd wait for the Subs was a loop of "nautical" music. Though when I was little, my parents would sing "Yellow Submarine" to me in line; maybe yours did the same?

The E.T. bike ride, Jaws, and the collapsing bridge are definitely memories from Universal Studios, I can tell you that for sure

Lifelong Disney fan!
spacemermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 11:55 AM   #57
blackjackdelta
Uncle had an "in" with Walt
I love those rainy days with the decreased crowds

I remember opening day.

Jack
blackjackdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 03:21 PM   #58
DisneyIsMagical
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjackdelta View Post
I remember opening day.

Jack
WOW, that would have been amazing! I think my grandparents took my Dad and his sisters in 1956 or 1957.

I remember the opening of Splash Mountain, when the Golden Horseshoe Revue was a bunch of dancing showgirls and Tom Sawyer's Island.
DisneyIsMagical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:57 AM   #59
superme80
DIS Veteran

I remember
the Swiss Family Robinson Tree House
The Shrinking Ride
The Old Its a Small World
Pirates before they made it PC
I believe the Plaza used to be a sit down restaurant,correct me if I'm wrong
I remember the People Mover
I remember when Captain E-0 opened
DH-42 ME-33 DS #1-5 DS #2 2 DS #3 6 months old
superme80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:58 AM   #60
minniecarousel
Chris Isaak fan
I'll take my earthquakes over tornadoes & hurricanes any day!
What's up with ruining corn by "creaming" it?

Our "big" souvenir was the huge Disneyland map. We bought one in the late 80's for our kids. Nothing like having a world map hanging next to a Disneyland map on the hallway wall!

I loved the Tuna Boat,

the People Mover

and the big flags waiting to get into CircleVision. (the hostess would point to a flag that wasn't of a State or a Country and tell us it was the "State of Confusion"!)

aaaaa.....the Mule Rides, the first mine train, the motorboats.

I used to make a deal with DH & sons - I'll go on the Skyway if you guys will go on It's a Small World!

Tags
remember

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: