Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2009, 08:56 AM   #1
kaliope
Earning My Ears

Advice for prego mom going solo with 4 yr old?

Hi there everyone,
My husband and I booked the trip ages ago....but as a contractor he had a huge job come up that he can't reschedule and I will be 5 mths pregnant. It's a very special trip for our son, and we can't postpone or cancel it. And who wants to anyway
So I am turning my Mickey ears to this wonderful community, do any of you mommies have advice or tips? I am not a Disney novice but have never been to the World either with a child or with child We will have a park hopper so I plan on taking DS back to the room for naps for both of us, and we will probably eat at our resort before heading back out to the parks for the evening.
A couple of rides questions too...I know most of the rides he would want to ride are probably safe for me as well, my main questions are Star Tours....he is slightly obsessed with Star Wars even though he's never seen it...and Kali River Rapids...he loves the rapids rides...What are your suggestions regarding that, they advise no pregnant women and I don't want to go on anything that would endanger the baby of course, but what would be the reasons on those rides? And....would Star Tours be too intense for a 4 yr old "by himself" while I wait outside?
Thanks everyone! I appreciate any advice or tips!!
Old 08-27-2009, 09:34 AM   #2
TwoGirlsandDisney
Mouseketeer

I was in Disney this past March and 6 months pregnant. I did have my two daughters with me (4 adn 2), plus my husband. You can defintely do Disney pregnant. Just take it slow, and make sure you eat and drink. Treat yourself as you would treat your 4 year old. As far as rides, pretty much anything he can go on, you can go on. Star Tours is a little intense for you, and it might be scary for him to go alone. I think because it is an old ride, that it bounces and jerks around too much. If you wait on-line with him, and there is a nice family in front or behind you, he might not be scared to go alone if he meets some of the people he would ride with. Kali River Rapids could be a little too much for you, but then again you might luck out and get a nice calm ride. That is the hard thing about that ride, each time is different. I didn't go on either one, but my husband took my 4 year old. I went on most of the rides in the MK. I took my 4 year old on Goofy's Brainstormer.

That is a great idea to go back to the hotel and rest during the day. I am sure your feet will thank you. I am sure you will have a great trip. And it will be a special time for you and your son. Have fun!

When are you going? We will be down in February.

1999 off-site
2003 Port Orleans Riverside "honeymoon"
2005 All Star Movies
2008 Polynesian

2009 Villas at the Wilderness Lodge
2010 Bay Lake Tower
TwoGirlsandDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-27-2009, 10:09 AM   #3
jagruti6
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaliope View Post
Hi there everyone,
My husband and I booked the trip ages ago....but as a contractor he had a huge job come up that he can't reschedule and I will be 5 mths pregnant. It's a very special trip for our son, and we can't postpone or cancel it. And who wants to anyway
So I am turning my Mickey ears to this wonderful community, do any of you mommies have advice or tips? I am not a Disney novice but have never been to the World either with a child or with child We will have a park hopper so I plan on taking DS back to the room for naps for both of us, and we will probably eat at our resort before heading back out to the parks for the evening.
A couple of rides questions too...I know most of the rides he would want to ride are probably safe for me as well, my main questions are Star Tours....he is slightly obsessed with Star Wars even though he's never seen it...and Kali River Rapids...he loves the rapids rides...What are your suggestions regarding that, they advise no pregnant women and I don't want to go on anything that would endanger the baby of course, but what would be the reasons on those rides? And....would Star Tours be too intense for a 4 yr old "by himself" while I wait outside?
Thanks everyone! I appreciate any advice or tips!!
Sounds like you already have a good plan in mind.I was pregnant on our last visit, though not that far along. I would say get plenty of breaks and drink plenty of water. Also don't try and do it all. Make a plan of rides/shows you really want to do, and then save the rest to do with DH and the new baby. My DS rode star tours when he was 3 and loved it, but I don't think he would want to ride it alone. I tend to find the ride to be a bit jerky. As for kali, I personally would not ride it pregnant. Have you considered bringing along another adult, maybe someone else special to your DS?

me DH DS9 DD5
jagruti6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 01:30 PM   #4
A&N829
Mommy to 2 Tinks, Married to Peter Pan

You'll have a great vacation!

I took my almost three year old daughter by myself last fall. I missed my husband, but we had a great time alone. It was just a totally different experience. She was especially sweet and appreciative. While watching wishes, she said,"Mommy, thank you for these fireworks." I wouldn't change that trip for anything!

I made life as simple as possible. I only carried one very small purse of essentials that I wore crossed over my shoulder so it never had to be removed for rides, paying for food, etc. I also took a small, lightweight stroller that I could hold in one hand while carrying her onto the buses, etc. (Other guests were also extremely helpful!) We parked it a lot and walked together, but she is one that still needs it or I'd end up holding her a lot.
I also got a room close to the pool, simple, just a towel for each of us.

When I got home, I found out I was pregnant. In two years, maybe I'll get to go alone with another daughter.
A&N829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:31 PM   #5
kaliope
Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone, I love to hear all the great advice. I've asked a couple of friends whether they would be able to come but after a review of finances they couldn't afford the plane/WDW tickets in such short notice.
My son and I have traveled together before for extended periods of time, so I know we will travel well together. I think I will take a backpack that I can hook on the back of the stroller, but not be so bulky that I can;t carry it on the rides. In it I will stash some snacks too
So, probably no on Kali River Rapids and Star Tours, that's fine and good to know now so I can prepare the DS. He will enjoy just mugging outside the Star Tours set anyway

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: