DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2009, 08:09 AM   #1
pistonfan32
Mouseketeer

Booking OKW today unless....

Going back to WDW in January '10 with my DW and DS7 and friends (DH, DW, DS7). Our home resort is OKW and we always stay there. I am planning on booking a 2BR at OKW today unless someone can give me a great reason to go somewhere else. I really love the large size of the villas, the Community Hall, proximity to DTD, and the private entrance from the parking lot. My biggest negative against OKW is the age of the resort primarily showing up in the furniture. I pretty much have my choice of any resort except BLT. Every time I look at another resort, I end up going back to OKW. Do I need to think outside the OKW box? I am guess I am hoping someone can talk me into somewhere else.
pistonfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:04 AM   #2
CarolMN
DVC Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Are the boys into exotic animals at all? If so, consider a 2 bedroom savanna view villa at AKV (Kidani). It won't be as spacious as OKW, but it will have an extra bathroom and some special views off the balcony. There are reported to be many activities at the resort for the children to enjoy.

If the trip is going to be all about the parks (rides), then it probably doesn't matter much where you stay. What do your frineds think?

BWV - Early Morning on May 2, 2008
CarolMN is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-23-2009, 09:09 AM   #3
DenLo
DIS Veteran

Although the 2 BR at BLT is not as spacious as OKW you are 10 minutes from Magic Kingdom and with two seven year olds in your party I would think they would really like MK. Most little boys love to be pirates and there are the pirate cruises and even the Pirates Tutorial. http://allears.net/tp/wander/wander37.htmThere is a community hall at BLT as well.

Also BCV might be a consideration if both boys like pools. SAB is really cool! However, if room size is the most important for your party then you can't go wrong with OKW.

Enjoy your trip!

Last edited by DenLo; 08-23-2009 at 09:15 AM.
DenLo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:12 AM   #4
pistonfan32
Mouseketeer

BLT is not available and pools can't be a big deciding factor since it will be January and swimming may or may not be possible. I was thinking about AKV but in January it gets dark early and how many animals will we able to see in the dark savannah when we return from the parks and dinner in the evening? We are only going to have four nights which will include 3 days at the parks.
pistonfan32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:38 AM   #5
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

I love OKW best too,for the big rooms and tons of space to live! I could live there plus ,if you take buses,I love the bus stops around the resort,so much better than one little stop for a huge resort--OKW rocks!
Old 08-23-2009, 10:43 AM   #6
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

When you have a larger group, OKW just make sense. You get the space, you have a full sized washer and dryer instead of the stackables. You get the full sized kitchen instead of just the galley style. You have an ice maker in the villa. But the living room is great for a group of six to sit around. Those other living rooms are just too small for a group that size.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:45 AM   #7
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

We OKW too for the reasons you mentioned. We stayed in a GV in May and I didn't notice any worn furniture. And don't forget Olivia's.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:54 AM   #8
Redbudlover
DIS Veteran

I would say try something different. Having stayed in other resorts, I found the OKW to be tired and worn. I loved the buses and balconies there - and I liked the boat to DTD. But at BWV you have all the stuff for the kids at night, proximity to Epcot and Studios, boats to both, a great pool, loads of resaurants. And the rooms are beautiful. I would recommend BWV.
Redbudlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 03:14 PM   #9
5forDiz
DIS Veteran

Some buildings at OKW have recently undergone refurb ( don't know if it was full, may have been partial refurb-rehab or however it is classified) so you may be able to get fresh villa.

iirc bldgs 23 - 26 and think other buildings are underway or will be; read threads about this here past couple months so hopefully others will be along who can fill in with better details.

5forDiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 04:59 PM   #10
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

I think the dedicated 2 bedrooms at Kidani are wonderful and that's what I would book!

Bobbi
Old 08-23-2009, 11:36 PM   #11
katmittens
OKW Owner

We have the same feelings as you in regard to OKW. It is our home resort and we always stay there and like you love the roominess, the balcony, the car outside your door, etc., and we have gone over our decision so many times. We are also going in Jan of 10.
Our decision: OKW in a studio for the first two nights and then into a 2 bedroom at VWL. It was suppose to be six nights in VWL and the first night in Pop, but then by changing to two and 5 nights the points worked out better and we don't have to pay or stay in Pop.
I feel like you do, I love OKW and it is so comfortable for us, but I too feel that OKW needs some updating in the furniture, counters in the kitchen, and bathrooms. I like the feel of OKW, but it needs some modern touches. We stayed in Bldg 13 on our last trip and it was the worst mattress we have ever slept on, we had to put numerous egg crates on the beds and I know we will probably have to do it again in Jan. but 2 of our four wanted OKW so we are comprimising. Good luck on your decision.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:45 AM   #12
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

If you want to park close to your room, SSR and AKV Kidani are two other choices. BCV can be close if you get the pool view. OKW is nice but there is a lot of bus traffic noise if you are by the road. The limited QS and new boat route to Pleasure Island also isn't my favorite.

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: