Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 11:03 PM   #811
azdisneylover
DIS Veteran

Bumping this thread. Did not get a picture of the stockings yet. I have to be sneaky about it! LOL
Old 07-12-2010, 02:34 PM   #812
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

This needs a bump again! It dropped way down on Page 2!

I think it's time for more photos! Photos, anyone? Otherwise, I will have to just dig out the old Christmas photos (of stuff that's no longer at DLR) to fill some space here until the next wave of actvity! I think we will start to hear early leaks on Christmas plans late next month, and then the official Christmastime agenda/press release should come in early September!!

The HalloweenTime thread is catching up in number of views, and has surpassed this thread in posts and pages!! I love the Halloween thread (that's my other 'baby,' besides this thread), but we must keep Christmas alive!!!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-12-2010, 03:14 PM   #813
scrappinbear78
Mouseketeer

Trip Planning for our Christmas Miracle trip

Ok, I am back after a little while away. Was so busy I didn't have time to get online. It was so hectic with softball season, VBS, and camp that there was NO time to spend on the computer. Now that things have slowed down, I have been able to come back to the board. I was curious what everyone does to "plan". I am wanting to start planning our trip, but really don't know where to start. I know I still have time, but would love to put together an itinerary and maybe a schedule of what we are going to do on each day. I want it to be fun and flexible though, I don't want it to seem as though I am a drill seargent with a set plan of things that we are going to do, but in same way really want to make sure everything is on the list and we don't miss out on something. We will be there for 7 full days, so plenty of time...just need some tips on making a plan for those days. I have never really did any trip planning before for any trip we have made. Granted this is the biggest trip we have EVER taken, so I want it to be fun yet not regret anything on the way home either.
Old 07-12-2010, 03:53 PM   #814
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Hi Scrapinbear! You will have the time of your life. I would have made a fine Marine I believe but I hear you about trying NOT to be a drill Sargent. Here is what I do for every Disney trip.

1. Look at the schedule for the time I will be there. Where is Magic Morning? Will I be park hopping (starting at DL and moving to DCA) it is very do-able at DL/DCA.

2. Make one TS reservation per day. My family likes to sit down and eat once a day. Some days I even make TWO reservations. Nothing like food to keep the cranks away

3. Schedule in any other must-sees

4. Enjoy!

Here is my most recent schedule. I shrink this, print it on card stock, and put it in my little cross-body purse I wear for travel.

I want everyone to notice how flexible I am with my "Target" park!

Hope this helps,
TK
Old 07-12-2010, 10:24 PM   #815
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Okay, I didn't really want to post anything old, because I don't want anyone just tuning into this thread to see the pictures and think some of these holiday set-ups at DLR are still there! But....until we get some more folks posting recent stuff (recent meaning like within the last 5 years or so), I will start posting old DLR holiday photos just to add some color and show what things were like during the holidays in the past.

So, a disclaimer to anyone who may be new to the thread - these photos are old, and this stuff is not at DLR anymore!

I'll start with 2 pictures for tonight -

From December 1992 - this is my friend Mandy (on the right) and I at the DLH:

Also from December 1992 - my friend Shawn (middle), Mandy and me (on the left) at Candy Cane Lane in the DLH - I loved Candy Cane Lane, and I wish they would find a spot for it on the DLH property and bring it back!!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Old 07-12-2010, 10:51 PM   #816
Flitterific
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
Okay, I didn't really want to post anything old, because I don't want anyone just tuning into this thread to see the pictures and think some of these holiday set-ups at DLR are still there! But....until we get some more folks posting recent stuff (recent meaning like within the last 5 years or so), I will start posting old DLR holiday photos just to add some color and show what things were like during the holidays in the past.

So, a disclaimer to anyone who may be new to the thread - these photos are old, and this stuff is not at DLR anymore!

I'll start with 2 pictures for tonight -

From December 1992 - this is my friend Mandy (on the right) and I at the DLH:

Also from December 1992 - my friend Shawn (middle), Mandy and me (on the left) at Candy Cane Lane in the DLH - I loved Candy Cane Lane, and I wish they would find a spot for it on the DLH property and bring it back!!

Aww...thanks for sharing those awesome pictures, Sherry. Candy Cane Lane looks sooo cute...I wish they will bring it back too so I can see it for myself

Me (27) & DBF (27)

Disneyland: Summer 1992, August 2007, May 2009 (GCH), August 2009 (FFI), December 2009 (HoJo), May 2010 (HoJo), August 2010 (HoJo), October 2010 (HoJo), November 2010 (HoJo), January 2011 (HoJo), May 2011 (HoJo), September 2011 (day trip), July 2012 (offsite), September 2012 (offsite), December 2012 (HoJo)
Old 07-12-2010, 11:26 PM   #817
Flitterific
DIS Veteran

So I finally figured out how to resize the pictures on Photobucket so here are some pictures that I took of the different scenes from Storybook Canal

Me (27) & DBF (27)

Disneyland: Summer 1992, August 2007, May 2009 (GCH), August 2009 (FFI), December 2009 (HoJo), May 2010 (HoJo), August 2010 (HoJo), October 2010 (HoJo), November 2010 (HoJo), January 2011 (HoJo), May 2011 (HoJo), September 2011 (day trip), July 2012 (offsite), September 2012 (offsite), December 2012 (HoJo)
Old 07-13-2010, 11:17 AM   #818
AttilaTheHun
Earning My Ears

Directions help

Hi Everyone,

We are going to be driving down to San Diego next Tuesday for the Comi-Con which is the Comic Book Convention. We will be driving from San Francisco on I-5 thru LA. Do any of you know of a route around LA so we do not have to go thru all that traffic? We would not mind a bit longer route if we can avoid that criss cross of freeways down there since we will hit that area around rush hour.

Nora Attila

Old 07-13-2010, 12:14 PM   #819
Arizona Rita
DIS Veteran

Sorry I cant help with directions, Im coming from the other way.

Sherry I have to laugh at your photos! They areolder than my kids. I am working on a Christmas in July album now, altho 2006, and will see if I can find some to post.
Great photos tho!
Do you remember the little train that they had their? That was so cute and kids loved riding it. I never got a photo of my son on it.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:37 PM   #820
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Bump!

Old 07-13-2010, 10:12 PM   #821
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flitterific View Post
So I finally figured out how to resize the pictures on Photobucket so here are some pictures that I took of the different scenes from Storybook Canal

Love those photos, Flitterific! I think a lot of people forget or don't know about the teeny tiny Christmas decorations on the Storybook Land ride, and they are so cute.

Yes, I agree - I wish they would bring back Candy Cane Lane from the early '90s. I had this idea that they could transform that whole back path/walkway from PPH to the parks and through the parking lot and make that into Candy Cane Lane during the holidays. They could put all kinds of reindeer along the paths, and put colored lights and ornaments in all the trees. They could put a little gingerbread house (like in my picture above) somewhere along the path - that's a lot of space that could be touched up in holiday motif. But, alas, I don't think they will ever do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Rita View Post

Sherry I have to laugh at your photos! They areolder than my kids. I am working on a Christmas in July album now, altho 2006, and will see if I can find some to post.
Great photos tho!
Do you remember the little train that they had their? That was so cute and kids loved riding it. I never got a photo of my son on it.
I posted all of my more recent holiday photos earlier in this thread, so now I'm digging for the ancient ones!!

I do remember the little train - vaguely. And I remember Santa had a little set-up. I know Santa is at the DLH and the other 2 hotels every Christmas season now, but I liked it when they used to do the holiday stuff outside on the DLH property. They had little tables or booths with merchandise set up. They sold cocoa and treats outside. There was a photo op in a tent, with a sleigh and presents. This was all outside, on the grounds of the DLH - that's something many people don't know ever existed because they may not have gone to DLR back in those days. Once they did the DTD addition and hacked off a chunk of the DLH, they stopped all the outdoor holiday fun!

Old 07-14-2010, 12:02 AM   #822
BernardandMissBianca
I just love a dancing banana!
I'm a Tag Fairy junkieI wanted to be a lawyer or a teacher, and now I'm both, I'm a mom!
Rum makes math fun!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Rita View Post

Great photos tho!
OMG Rita!!! I am sooooo happy to see you here! I'm out of my element and need help, we are taking the Kids to Disneyland for Christmas!!!

Questions and background info for the group:

1)Looking at DL from Dec 23 - 28

2)4 kids 2 adults, diehard disney fans. Have been to WDW almost 10 times. We do not go commando.

3)good neighbor hotel is probably the way we will go - looking at Homewood Suites, Embassy Suite North and embassy suite south.

4)should I use hilton points or just book a package through Disney? I don't think I can do tickets and all that on points. The prices via Disney for the 3 average $3600 including the 5 day meal plan and 6 day tickets.

5) is the meal plan worth it? Or should we just wing it?

6) what are the must do restaurants? I know, loaded question. LOL

I haven't been to Disneyland since the 25th anniversary. So I don't recall much other then riding Dumbo and my dad taking a pic of me and my brother in front of the Mark Twain riverboat, which of course the boat was in focus, not us! LOL
Old 07-14-2010, 03:11 PM   #823
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!

The meal plan at Disneyland is nothing like the one at WDW. It is a bunch of prepaid vouchers and receives almost universally bad reviews here. If you really want the "prepaid" factor I'd purchase some Disney gift cards.

There are separate options for tickets that might save you a little money vs. buying everything through Disney; check out Mousesavers. The "package deals" are also different than at WDW.

PHXscuba
Old 07-14-2010, 06:10 PM   #824
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernardandMissBianca View Post
OMG Rita!!! I am sooooo happy to see you here! I'm out of my element and need help, we are taking the Kids to Disneyland for Christmas!!!

Questions and background info for the group:

1)Looking at DL from Dec 23 - 28

2)4 kids 2 adults, diehard disney fans. Have been to WDW almost 10 times. We do not go commando.

3)good neighbor hotel is probably the way we will go - looking at Homewood Suites, Embassy Suite North and embassy suite south.

4)should I use hilton points or just book a package through Disney? I don't think I can do tickets and all that on points. The prices via Disney for the 3 average $3600 including the 5 day meal plan and 6 day tickets.

5) is the meal plan worth it? Or should we just wing it?

6) what are the must do restaurants? I know, loaded question. LOL

I haven't been to Disneyland since the 25th anniversary. So I don't recall much other then riding Dumbo and my dad taking a pic of me and my brother in front of the Mark Twain riverboat, which of course the boat was in focus, not us! LOL
From one mod to another, welcome, BernardandMissBianca!! Welcome to our wonderful, magical Disney at Christmas thread!! I hope you've had some time to kind of scroll through and glance at all the fabulous photos that have made this thread so popular!

I will tackle #6 on your list! Must-do restaurants.

I think the majority of folks would say to eat at Blue Bayou because it is so unique to DLR, and the ambiance is very cool.

I think most folks would also say that Napa Rose (a critically-acclaimed fine dining establishment in the GCH) is another must-do.

Many people might recommend Steakhouse 55 in the DLH for breakfast or dinner.

The places that I like are:

Carnation Cafe in DL (preferably for lunch or dinner or dessert-only)

Wine Country Trattoria in DCA (although they just changed their menu so I haven't tried the new one yet)

Blue Ribbon Bakery in DL for snacks and treats

Storytellers Cafe in GCH for lunch or dinner

Goofy's Kitchen (huge buffet) in the DLH for a character breakfast

I'll give honorable mentions to these counter service places:

River Belle Terrace (Mickey pancakes)
Gibson Girl Ice Cream in DL (for peppermint ice cream during the holidays!)
Plaza Inn (good fried chicken)
Bengal BBQ (good skewers)
Taste Pilots Grill in DCA
Marceline's Confectionery in DTD

I also like the non-Disney places in Downtown Disney such as Rainforest Cafe, Naples and ESPN Zone.

Old 07-14-2010, 06:53 PM   #825
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
From one mod to another, welcome, BernardandMissBianca!! Welcome to our wonderful, magical Disney at Christmas thread!! I hope you've had some time to kind of scroll through and glance at all the fabulous photos that have made this thread so popular!

I will tackle #6 on your list! Must-do restaurants.

I think the majority of folks would say to eat at Blue Bayou because it is so unique to DLR, and the ambiance is very cool.

I think most folks would also say that Napa Rose (a critically-acclaimed fine dining establishment in the GCH) is another must-do.

Many people might recommend Steakhouse 55 in the DLH for breakfast or dinner.

The places that I like are:

Carnation Cafe in DL (preferably for lunch or dinner or dessert-only)

Wine Country Trattoria in DCA (although they just changed their menu so I haven't tried the new one yet)

Blue Ribbon Bakery in DL for snacks and treats

Storytellers Cafe in GCH for lunch or dinner

Goofy's Kitchen (huge buffet) in the DLH for a character breakfast

I'll give honorable mentions to these counter service places:

River Belle Terrace (Mickey pancakes)
Gibson Girl Ice Cream in DL (for peppermint ice cream during the holidays!)
Plaza Inn (good fried chicken)
Bengal BBQ (good skewers)
Taste Pilots Grill in DCA
Marceline's Confectionery in DTD

I also like the non-Disney places in Downtown Disney such as Rainforest Cafe, Naples and ESPN Zone.
I second the places Sherry likes - YUM
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: