Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 02:36 PM   #181
3TinksAndAnEeyore
DIS Veteran

Check out the latest MiceChat article to see some amazing photos of the Christmas decor by day and also by night (nighttime is towards the end of the article):

http://micechat.com/forums/blogs/dat...ming-more.html
Completed: DLR Solo Trip Nov 2010 (Stovall's), DLR September 2010 (GCH), DL Feb 2010 (daytrip), DLR December 2009 (DLH), DLR January 2008 (daytrip), DLR November 2007 (daytrip), DLR October 2007 (GCH), DLR June 2004 (DLH), WDW October 2000 (VDI), Disneyland October 1996 (ES), my GradNight June 1988, DB's (now DH for 18 years!) GradNight June 1987, Band Trip (played on Main Street with DrumLine!) Spring 1987, too many Daytrips to count starting in 1970
Old 11-30-2009, 04:29 PM   #182
Disney Dreams
Proudly afflicted with TDMA!
Major pin collector in denial

I took some more Christmas at Disneyland pictures on our visit last week that I have not had a chance to share. Enjoy.

New Orleans Square

it's a small world

I have WAY too many shots from inside iasw, but here's a scene I liked that I don't remember from previous years

A few of our closest friends waiting with us for fireworks to begin

My attempt at being artsy

The "snow capped" trees in the Hub after the snowfall.

Main Street after the fireworks and snowfall

The castle after the fireworks and snowfall

Hope you enjoy them,
Dreams

Last edited by Disney Dreams; 11-30-2009 at 05:00 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-30-2009, 04:57 PM   #183
prettyprincessbelle
I'm just excited for the BBQ! Yum YUM!
Pots and pans? Seriously?!

Great pictures, Dreams!
Old 12-02-2009, 12:00 AM   #184
Turtle31
DIS Veteran

Great pictures Indeed ! I was wondering can anyone tell me if they have spotted Phineas and Ferb in the parade? I know they were in the parade for the taping but are they still showing up now ? And will the parade have any big balloons in it ? Just wondering how much different it is from what pics I have seen. Thanks so much!
Oct-2013 BCV. Dec2013- Disneyland ChristmasJune-2012 BCV Oct-2010 BCV June 2010- Crowne Plaza Disneyland Dec 2009-Disneyland Christmas @ Embassy Suites June 2009 - First Stay at BCVAugust 2008- Port Orleans Resort May 2008 Marriott Suites- Disneyland June 2004- 30th B-day Celebration- Disney World Offsite

Follow my 11 Day Trip Report Here
Need help packing... Check out THE LIST!!
Old 12-02-2009, 06:47 PM   #185
Disneylvrforever
Stitch is my puppy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle31 View Post
Great pictures Indeed ! I was wondering can anyone tell me if they have spotted Phineas and Ferb in the parade? I know they were in the parade for the taping but are they still showing up now ? And will the parade have any big balloons in it ? Just wondering how much different it is from what pics I have seen. Thanks so much!
All of the glitz & glamour & DC characters were just for the taping. Other than that, the parade is still its traditional self. I just love that they added the Pooh characters in it!
Old 12-04-2009, 06:53 PM   #186
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Let's not let this wonderful, photo & information-filled thread drift away!!! We need more pictures, more info, more celebration of DLR at Christmastime!!!

Oh, and Disney Dreams - those pictures you posted are lovely (I especially like the snow-capped trees photo; so magical)!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12
Old 12-04-2009, 11:17 PM   #187
nmoore14
Is there life outside of Disney? If so, I don't want to know about it.

Thanks for the great pictures. I am going next year in early November, so I hope to catch a little of the Christmas decorations.
Old 12-05-2009, 12:51 AM   #188
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

I loved looking in the windows on Main Street. Wish I would've taken more time to do that.

I'm usually not a funnel cake person, but this one was really good!
Old 12-05-2009, 10:03 AM   #189
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Oooohhhh!!!! Deejdigsdis, those shots are great! You captured some things or some vantage points that are not commonly seen. I am normally not a funnel cake person but now I am craving some! That photo of the candy cane arrangement is just wonderful, and I also especially love the photo of the store window display (with one of the 700 Christmas trees in it!)! I think that is one area of DL during the holidays where many people forget to look and take pictures - the window displays! Some of them are so fantastic.

Now, if I recall correctly from your posts, Deejdigsdis, you had not been to DLR in something crazy like 13 years until this recent holiday trip. (Am I right on that number?) You must get back there sooner than another 13 years to take more amazing holiday photos!!!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12

Last edited by Sherry E; 12-05-2009 at 10:20 AM.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:59 AM   #190
deejdigsdis
I <3 Aglets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
Oooohhhh!!!! Deejdigsdis, those shots are great! You captured some things or some vantage points that are not commonly seen. I am normally not a funnel cake person but now I am craving some! That photo of the candy cane arrangement is just wonderful, and I also especially love the photo of the store window display (with one of the 700 Christmas trees in it!)! I think that is one area of DL during the holidays where many people forget to look and take pictures - the window displays! Some of them are so fantastic.

Now, if I recall correctly from your posts, Deejdigsdis, you had not been to DLR in something crazy like 13 years until this recent holiday trip. (Am I right on that number?) You must get back there sooner than another 13 years to take more amazing holiday photos!!!
Yes, 13 years. The whole time I was there I kept thinking "How in the world did I let so much time go by?" Oh yeah. It costs $$$. And when you're the only one that's "into it" - you know how that goes. I will be more conscientious about saving up again and hopefully we'll be back in 2 years.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:29 AM   #191
Peg In The Pound
Mouseketeer

Thanks to everyone sharing their holiday pics and stories!

I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sad that we will miss IASW by two frog-flippin' days!
I was planning to go during "the season" to celebrate my 40th (12.25.2012)
but DH was intrigued with the photos being posted and agreed to go next year!
Ho-ho-hooray!
Can anyone share about the hotels at Christmas?
Just curious... I know that I always said that if we ever went during the season we would have to be at GC (do or die!) ... but with one walking (DD5)and one on wheels (DS1) next year I have read enough about the hallways that go on and on and on and on that I wonder if it would be a good fit for us next year.
Thanks for sharing, everyone!
Old 12-05-2009, 01:09 PM   #192
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejdigsdis View Post
Yes, 13 years. The whole time I was there I kept thinking "How in the world did I let so much time go by?" Oh yeah. It costs $$$. And when you're the only one that's "into it" - you know how that goes. I will be more conscientious about saving up again and hopefully we'll be back in 2 years.
Sadly, i know exactly what you mean about being the only one who is "into it," and the $$$ aspect, etc. I have not had a 13-year absence from DLR, but seeing that it was such an integral part of my childhood and had basically been a twice yearly tradition for my group of friends and me up until about 1994, you can imagine how empty I felt not being able to go back there until 2000. I was hanging with people who were not "into it," and money became ver tight from 1996 on, so it was not an option. When I got back there for the holidays in 2000 and again in 2001, I couldn't believe I had been away for so long and nearly wept at setting foot back in my favorite place. But that nasty lack of money issue reared its head again, and I did not make it back to DLR until 2007! A six-year absence! While it was easy to kind of get back into the groove at DL, DCA was a different story. I did not take to DCA on my first trip there in 9/07. It took another trip in 12/07 for me to start enjoying it, and of course, when they added in TSMM - my new favorite ride - DCA moved waaaaaaay up on my list!!! Now, because of TSMM, Monsters Inc. Soarin, Aladdin, the Animation Building, A Bug's Land, etc., I love DCA. But it was weird having been away from all things Disney for so long, only to return to a strange park that I had to grow to love!

I would still always choose a holiday DLR trip - even just a day trip - over going any other time of year, if one trip is my only option. Halloweentime is great, but it just does not compare to Christmastime on any level!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peg In The Pound View Post
Thanks to everyone sharing their holiday pics and stories!

I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sad that we will miss IASW by two frog-flippin' days!
I was planning to go during "the season" to celebrate my 40th (12.25.2012)
but DH was intrigued with the photos being posted and agreed to go next year!
Ho-ho-hooray!
Can anyone share about the hotels at Christmas?
Just curious... I know that I always said that if we ever went during the season we would have to be at GC (do or die!) ... but with one walking (DD5)and one on wheels (DS1) next year I have read enough about the hallways that go on and on and on and on that I wonder if it would be a good fit for us next year.
Thanks for sharing, everyone!
Yay! I am so glad for you that you get to go to DLR in 2010 for the holidays!!

Okay, as for the hotels at Christmas (and I am explaining this while trying to remember if I included photos of the GCH carolers and the GCH tree in my first post with photos here on this thread - I think I did!) for me, if I am going to do a 'hotel DLR trip' for the holidays, I want to stay onsite. I could do an offsite trip or even a day trip only during any other time of year, but for the holidays, I would want it to be special and if a hotel is involved, then a DLR hotel it must be!

Last year in December we stayed at the PPH and the year before that we stayed at the GCH, both times were the weekend right before Christmas. Even when I do not stay onsite at the GCH, I will still go and take in the holiday ambience, so you can do that too if you choose to stay elsewhere. Back in 2001 for holiday season, we stayed at the GCH and we had 'one of those rooms' where the walk down the endless, winding corridors was bothersome, but it gave way to a wonderful DTD view and a great vantage point to see the fireworks. I loved that view! During our 2007 December stay, we had a standard view room sort of overlooking the entry to GCH, and we were right near the elevators, so the walk was a breeze and I loved being so close to DTD.

Now, personally - and there are those who disagree - I really find the GCH to be a hotel which lends itself magnificently to the holiday vibe. To me, there is something about those comfy chairs and sofas (so comfy that I could barely hoist myself up and out of them), that very dimly lit lobby, the dark wood and the fireplace/hearth area that is reminiscent of enjoying Christmas in someone's (humongous) living room, OR in a sort of elegant mountain chalet somewhere! I think it is just wonderful - but again, you can enjoy the GCH lobby/Grand Hall area and all that it has to offer at Christmastime - even if you stay elsewhere. The GCH Christmas tree is enormous, but it is not particularly colorful as one would want from a tree, because it has to conform to the sort of rustic ambience and color scheme of the GCH. There is a Santa/PhotoPass opportunity at the GCH by the tree. The piano player entertains guests with ambient Christmas songs. There is a guitar player (who plays when the pianist takes a break) strumming acoustic versions of Christmas favorites by the fire. Carolers show up periodically to do a little 'set' by the tree (on the non-Santa side), where they take requests. I just love sitting in those sleep-inducing chairs and watching the carolers. Other guests were sprawled around on the sofas, beverages in hand, feet up. Everyone seems to be in a very merry mood, and conversation flows freely among strangers. I love to also just sit there and watch the various people from all over the world come to take pictures by the tree. So to me, a holiday trip to DLR would not be complete without a visit to the GCH lobby to soak in the atmosphere. I feel that the only thing that is missing from the holiday feeling at the GCH is snow on the ground outside.

Over at the PPH, the Christmas tree is brighter and more typical of what you would expect of a tree. Santa also appears there every day but is not a PhotoPass opportunity. The carolers come by to sing at PPH as well, but it is not the same warm, comfy set-up as at the GCH, so you can't wuite relax as well. I have not stayed at the DLH during holiday season in probably about 15 years, so I could not give you an updated account on what the decor and vibe is like, but I am sure it does not disappoint. If I recall form whizzing through the lobby en route to Goofy's Kitchen last year, the tree was beautiful.

Old 12-07-2009, 10:40 AM   #193
Sherry E

DISboards Moderator

Old 12-07-2009, 12:01 PM   #194
3Minnies1Mickey
Just wanted to add, this is no longer a rumor

DH and I watched "Guy's Disney Holiday" this weekend and my giddy DH said..."We get to go there!!!" LOL He says I'm disney obessed, but he had just as much fun as the rest of us do! 11 more days!!!

Mommy to 3 Princesses and 1 Handsome Prince
Me(34) DH(36) DD(12) DD(8) DD(6) DS(5)
Disneyland: many times as a kid * 10/05 * 12/07 * 9/09 * 10/09 * 12/09 * 6/10 *1/13*12/13
Walt Disney World: 9/11 2 weeks at BCV!!!
Old 12-07-2009, 08:39 PM   #195
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Minnies1Mickey View Post
DH and I watched "Guy's Disney Holiday" this weekend and my giddy DH said..."We get to go there!!!" LOL He says I'm disney obessed, but he had just as much fun as the rest of us do! 11 more days!!!
We watched the show too and got so excited for our trip!! I don't even like candy canes but was drooling when they showed making them. DH was interested in the Nappa Rose restaurant until I went to the dis boards and looked up the prices. YIKES. The entrees were all ~$40. I would pay for that eggnog creme brule however!

Thanks for all the pictures!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: