Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 07:02 PM   #166
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain

DISboards Moderator

Fantastic photos, Kayla's Mom. Please tell your husband thank you for us.

There are a LOT of really really good one, but I especially like:

Old 11-21-2009, 10:55 PM   #167
Turtle31
DIS Veteran

We are going on the 19th of December for a week. The pictures are making me so EXCITED !!!
Oct-2013 BCV. Dec2013- Disneyland ChristmasJune-2012 BCV Oct-2010 BCV June 2010- Crowne Plaza Disneyland Dec 2009-Disneyland Christmas @ Embassy Suites June 2009 - First Stay at BCVAugust 2008- Port Orleans Resort May 2008 Marriott Suites- Disneyland June 2004- 30th B-day Celebration- Disney World Offsite

Follow my 11 Day Trip Report Here
Need help packing... Check out THE LIST!!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-22-2009, 12:04 AM   #168
smiley_face2
What a great idea for a thread! Good grief, I'm going to gain another 5 pounds

Kayla's mom..... Another one here saying thankyou, and tell your hubby he's a great photographer!! that last one is my fav too!

In Loving Memory of our dear son 02/22/1982-01/28/2011
Old 11-22-2009, 01:15 AM   #169
alvernon90
Unable to think of a clever tag.......but doesn't have to, the Tag Fairy will just colorize him! :)

The pictures are making me excited, too, which is nice because I'm oddly unexcited given that we leave in a week. Those photos definitely put me in the mood!
Old 11-22-2009, 01:20 AM   #170
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvernon90 View Post
The pictures are making me excited, too, which is nice because I'm oddly unexcited given that we leave in a week. Those photos definitely put me in the mood!
Just wait until you get to Disneyland. It is so unbelievably beautiful right now, especially in late afternoon to evening when the lights are on.
Old 11-22-2009, 09:00 AM   #171
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

WOW Kayla's Mom those pics are fantastic! You have gotten me even MORE excited for our December trip if that is even possible
Old 11-22-2009, 03:55 PM   #172
Kayla's Mom
You are not alone!! I have several Disney shirts
Dessert for hubby it is!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneySuiteFreak View Post
Kayla'smom, awesome, awesome photos again, as usual! Tell your DH that he did good!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Jo View Post
Fantastic photos, Kayla's Mom. Please tell your husband thank you for us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiley_face2 View Post
Kayla's mom..... Another one here saying thankyou, and tell your hubby he's a great photographer!! that last one is my fav too!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tksbaskets View Post
WOW Kayla's Mom those pics are fantastic! You have gotten me even MORE excited for our December trip if that is even possible
Thanks you guys! I am glad you enjoyed them!
Old 11-27-2009, 10:04 AM   #173
wkrider
DVC home: Wilderness Lodge Villas

bump

Hi,

Had to bump this. We're going for Christmas and have been loving this thread. Please, anymore pictures or trip reports would be thoroughly enjoyed!

THANKS!
Old 11-28-2009, 12:10 PM   #174
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Wow! Kayla's Mom - those photos are spectacular! That one that Mary Jo pointed out is breathtaking! That is truly meant for framing - I have never seen the Winter Castle photographed from that vantage point. That is absolutely stunning.

I also have to give a shout out to Disney Dreams - I hadn't had a chance to get back on here yet and thank you for posting those photos for me of the merchandise, and for even thinking of doing it in the first place! That was very nice of you to do and I really appreciate it! I like seeing the pictures and kind of noticing anything that looks new or different from last year's merchandise. Again, thank you for remembering me and for psoting those pictures!

I don't even have a date set yet for a holiday trip, but between this thread - which I have loved from the very beginning - and the Guy Fieri DLR Holiday special that airs on Food Network one week form today, I am chomping at the bit to get to DLR and soak in this holilday magic! Truthfully, I have been anxious for the holidays at DLR all year, but in the last couple of weeks, my enthusiasm has been amped up by about 1000 notches!

What I am wondering is - Mary Jo had mentioned that the carolers were initially not present at the tree lighting ceremony on the first ngiht of the holiday season. Are there carolers strolling about the whole Resort now? I hope so! That is one of the things I look forward to - seeing the carolers perform in the GCH lobby! Also, I love that they brought Santa back to DCA - last year, DCA had its holiday fun and merriment, but it seemed to be lacking that extra oomph without Santa being there.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Old 11-28-2009, 10:41 PM   #175
kate0305
Mouseketeer

I am happy to have stumbled onto this thread....we will be in LA for Christmas this year, and plan on doing Disney while we are out there. We are yearly visitors to WDW, but have never done DLR!

If you had your choice of days between 12-22 and 12-27, what would you pick for your visit to the park. I have 2 kids, DS6 and DD4....can we see both parks in a day?

So overwhelmed....I feel like I know WDW like my own neighborhood, but know NOTHING about the original!!!
Old 11-28-2009, 10:56 PM   #176
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate0305 View Post
I am happy to have stumbled onto this thread....we will be in LA for Christmas this year, and plan on doing Disney while we are out there. We are yearly visitors to WDW, but have never done DLR!

If you had your choice of days between 12-22 and 12-27, what would you pick for your visit to the park. I have 2 kids, DS6 and DD4....can we see both parks in a day?

So overwhelmed....I feel like I know WDW like my own neighborhood, but know NOTHING about the original!!!
Hi Kate,
Both parks in a day might be a rush. With your childrens' ages I'd go with Magic Kingdom. It certainly is do-able geographically since they are across the sidewalk from each other.

If you find yourself with time, check out my DL trip report. I do make some WDW veteran observations. You'll LOVE it!
Teresa
Old 11-28-2009, 11:15 PM   #177
3TinksAndAnEeyore
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate0305 View Post

You should read HydroGuy's quintessential thread on WDW vets visiting DLR for the first time: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1162599

If I had to choose one of those dates, I'd probably pick the 22nd, but just be forewarned that all of DLR is likely to be swamped that week. So definitely plan on going early and making judicious use of fastpass. With just one day, I would focus on just Disneyland and leave Disney's California Adventure for a future visit after all the construction is finished.
Upcoming: WDW POR?? Completed: DL December '11 & '12 Daytrips, DLR Solo Trip Nov 2010 (Stovall's), DLR September 2010 (GCH), DL Feb 2010 (daytrip), DLR December 2009 (DLH), DLR January 2008 (daytrip), DLR November 2007 (daytrip), DLR October 2007 (GCH), DLR June 2004 (DLH), WDW October 2000 (VDI), Disneyland October 1996 (ES), my GradNight June 1988, DB's (now DH for 18 years!) GradNight June 1987, Band Trip (played on Main Street with DrumLine!) Spring 1987, too many Daytrips to count starting in 1970
Old 11-29-2009, 10:04 AM   #178
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3TinksAndAnEeyore View Post
You should read HydroGuy's quintessential thread on WDW vets visiting DLR for the first time: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1162599

If I had to choose one of those dates, I'd probably pick the 22nd, but just be forewarned that all of DLR is likely to be swamped that week. So definitely plan on going early and making judicious use of fastpass. With just one day, I would focus on just Disneyland and leave Disney's California Adventure for a future visit after all the construction is finished.
I emphatically agree! Kate0305, Skip the 27th entirely, especially because you will only have one day to play and you will not be able to get the most out of the trip on a crazy day like the 27th. The last two years, my friends and I stayed at DLR on the weekend right before Christmas, and it was crowded throughout the Resort, but still tolerable. It didn't scare us away. It was manageable. Also, if Santa is important to you to see in this visit, he will not be around on the 27th. He only stays at DLR through the 25th and then he heads back to the North Pole.

Just in terms of crowds alone, while it will be crowded on the 22nd, it will be so much more crowded on the 27th. That week between Christmas and New Year's is notorious for being hideously packed. I suppose many people who get holiday gift money or who get tickets or Annual Passes for their presents flock to the park in droves as soon as Christmas ends, to see the holiday decorations. This past holiday season, the number of AP holders alone hiked up enormously and the crowds increased right along with them. The bad economy compelled many people to forego vacations in more distant locations and stay closer to home - so DLR was the place to be! So, yes, avoid the 27th at all costs.

Normally, I am an advocate of doing two parks in one day just as a general 'highlight tour,' with the understanding that you will not be able to see everything in one day at both parks - but you can see a lot. For example, my friends and I just did a one-day trip last month and we did most of what we would have wanted to do, but not everything. Another day or two would have been better. Other people would have felt cheated or like they didn't get to do enough, so it really depends on what you need from your DLR experience. I would say, for the purposes of escaping DL when it gets to be a little too congested, head over to DCA where the crowds are lighter during those extra-hectic times in DL. If Monsters Inc., Toy Story (the greatest ride), Soarin', California Screamin', and drawing pictures of DIsney characters at the Animation Academy, etc., are important to you, you will want to be in DCA. If a Princess character meal is important, head to DCA to meet with Ariel and her friends.

Otherwise, just in terms of experiencing as much of the holiday magic that DLR has to offer in one busy, crowded day, stick with DL. DL lends itself to the overall holiday vibe much better than DCA does, I think, so if you really want the best taste of Disney holiday magic in a very short period of time, stay in DL. That is where you will find HMH and IASWH, as well as the Reindeer Round-UP, etc.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Old 11-29-2009, 03:05 PM   #179
imjen
DIS Veteran

I love this thread. Amazing photos & info! I have always wanted to see DLR during Christmas time and am sitting here trying to figure out if I can somehow twist someone's arm to go down with me for a few days before Christmas while my kids are with their Dad. I have an AP, which expires the first of March and have grandparents house to stay in so it would be a pretty cheap trip....hmmmmm We'd have to do it all, including driving in 4.5 days, so it would be 2 days at DLR. Seriously thinking about it!
Old 11-30-2009, 08:03 AM   #180
Kayla's Mom
You are not alone!! I have several Disney shirts
Dessert for hubby it is!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherry E View Post
Wow! Kayla's Mom - those photos are spectacular! That one that Mary Jo pointed out is breathtaking! That is truly meant for framing - I have never seen the Winter Castle photographed from that vantage point. That is absolutely stunning.
Thanks Sherry!

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: