Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 10:47 AM   #1501
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Not to let Goofy_Mom carry the photo burden
Old 09-24-2010, 11:07 AM   #1502
mvf-m11c
DIS Veteran

Santa's Reindeer from Santa's Reindeer Round-up at Big Thunder Ranch
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 09-24-2010, 11:11 AM   #1503
funatdisney
Disneyland, DH and my horses have a soothing effect on my soul, and always brings a smile on my face.

Very nice photo and a good one to keep since the letters will be coming down

DVC member since 2007; SSR and VGC.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:17 AM   #1504
specialks
Quickly becoming a Disney addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappinbear78 View Post
Ok I feel stupid and this isn't Christmas related, but what is a "tag" PHXscuba? I guess I am still so new to this that I have no clue what you are talking about.
It is listed under your screen name on the left -- yours says "Earning my Ears" in black. At some point a "tag fairy" might visit your profile and put a purty colorful tag on you. :-) I'm impatiently waiting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael Q View Post
Desert Dweller, me too. We'll be at DL Dec 11th and 12th. I know it will be a busy weekend. We'll be travelling with friends who have not been before, so we are hoping to maximise our time in the parks. I want to buy my ridemax subscription, book a meal or two etc etc.

I am impatient.
Why do you think the 11th & 12th will be busy? After all my research we made our trip for the 7th through the 14th hoping that that 2nd week & weekend would be the calm before the storm. I am a little worried hearing about the parade dance groups, but still hopeful that won't be a large number. Is that why you think it will be busy?
WDW Wine & Dine 1/2 Nov 9-11, 2012 - ASMovies ~~ Jan 26-31, 2012 DLR Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon - BW Stovalls ~~ DLR Oct 23-26, 2011 - GCH ~~ DLR Dec 7-14, 2010 TR - ResInnGarGrv ~~ DLR Sept 19-26, 2009 - HomSteGarGrv ~~ DLR Sept 13-20, 2008 - HomSteGarGrv
Old 09-24-2010, 02:11 PM   #1505
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!

Seeing tksbaskets' photo reminded me of something I've been meaning to ask:

Do you think they will candy-stripe the "CALIFORNIA" letters outside DCA this year? I know they did them in rainbow for World of Color (are they still that way?) and that they are taking them down completely at some undetermined date.

Any info on that? I'd love to get a picture with them as giant candy canes (love me some peppermint), especially if they are not long for DLR.

PHXscuba
Old 09-24-2010, 02:42 PM   #1506
jessicaerv
Mouseketeer

I have a fierce case of tag envy.

I posted earlier about inviting a bunch of friends and their kids to join us at a character breakfast (either Goofy's or Storytellers). I'd really love to do it, still, but I think the etiquette of inviting people to something like that requires the inviter to pay. This wouldn't be too bad except our headcount would be in the range of 25 adults and a couple children. Even if I bought vouchers at a discount I'd be looking at more than $750.

So, any of my buddies here have any suggestions?
Old 09-24-2010, 03:08 PM   #1507
Goofy_Mom
Disney Princess

Another Candy Cane Letter with my hero and my DD

Old 09-24-2010, 04:54 PM   #1508
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!

C, A, .... maybe we can stretch the photos out for a whole word! BTW great pix without any other people in them -- I know that's hard to do.

PHXscuba
Old 09-24-2010, 05:40 PM   #1509
specialks
Quickly becoming a Disney addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXscuba View Post
C, A, .... maybe we can stretch the photos out for a whole word! BTW great pix without any other people in them -- I know that's hard to do.

PHXscuba
My thinking exactly -- when exactly were you there to manage that feat?!

I also hope they have the candy cane letters one last time. I have already been let down with the hope they would bring the ELP back this year; now I have found out my perfectly planned week/weekend is going to be flooded with dance groups; I just can't handle another let-down... However, I am thankful to be able to go so I should probably just shut-up!
WDW Wine & Dine 1/2 Nov 9-11, 2012 - ASMovies ~~ Jan 26-31, 2012 DLR Tinker Bell 1/2 Marathon - BW Stovalls ~~ DLR Oct 23-26, 2011 - GCH ~~ DLR Dec 7-14, 2010 TR - ResInnGarGrv ~~ DLR Sept 19-26, 2009 - HomSteGarGrv ~~ DLR Sept 13-20, 2008 - HomSteGarGrv
Old 09-24-2010, 06:15 PM   #1510
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicaerv View Post
I have a fierce case of tag envy.

I posted earlier about inviting a bunch of friends and their kids to join us at a character breakfast (either Goofy's or Storytellers). I'd really love to do it, still, but I think the etiquette of inviting people to something like that requires the inviter to pay. This wouldn't be too bad except our headcount would be in the range of 25 adults and a couple children. Even if I bought vouchers at a discount I'd be looking at more than $750.

So, any of my buddies here have any suggestions?
PHXScuba did a big group Goofy's Kitchen dinner last year (in the Fall). If I recall, it was not as many as 25 adults plus children, but it was a large group.

PHXScuba - how did the payment situation get handled in that case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by specialks View Post
My thinking exactly -- when exactly were you there to manage that feat?!

I also hope they have the candy cane letters one last time. I have already been let down with the hope they would bring the ELP back this year; now I have found out my perfectly planned week/weekend is going to be flooded with dance groups; I just can't handle another let-down... However, I am thankful to be able to go so I should probably just shut-up!
I, too, am hoping for one last run of the candy cane letters. I am so disappointed that they couldn't roll out the candy corn letters for Halloween Time one last time - but they are so focused on WoC and ElecTRONica and all that stuff that HalloweenTime at DCA has all but been obliterated this year. In fact, they didn't even have the candy corn letters last year!! The last time I saw them was in 2008!

The only luck I had with being able to get the whole California sign in one photo (with either no people or very few) was being there early in the morning, before the gates opened to DL. It's tricky, but I wanted to try to get a photo of the whole candy cane letters/sign one more time, and then I wanted to try to get an individual photo of each letter in its candy cane form which I have not yet been able to do.

I was saying in the Halloween thread (one of them - can't recall which one) that one of the main problems I have with DLR not putting any real touches of Halloween in DCA this year is that it will 'take me out of the experience,' if that makes sense. I want to feel like it's Halloween Time (or ChristmasTime) everywhere I go in DLR. Sure, HalloweenTime doesn't affect the hotels at all and there are no spooky decorations in any of the 3 DLR hotels, but I like for both parks to be decorated so it feels more immersive to me.

If I am all wrapped up in HalloweenTime in DL and then I walk across the Esplanade to DCA, only to find there is nothing in the way of Halloween stuff, then it's weird to me. It's like they are celebrating the holiday in one park but not in both parks. And I am mentally taken out of the Halloween experience. I need continuity and full immersion, and it looks like this year I will not get that (for Halloween, anyway).

So I hope hope hope that DLR doesn't skimp on the Christmas decorations this year. I understand they want to emphasize WoC all year long, but they always make a huge deal of the holiday season, and all of DLR is decked out, inch by inch and in every corner. It's so much more thorough and all-encompassing than HalloweenTime - but if they don't put anything holiday-ish in DCA, it will be disappointing.

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
Old 09-24-2010, 06:29 PM   #1511
smiley_face2
What a great idea for a thread! Good grief, I'm going to gain another 5 pounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess lovers mom View Post
for those who have been the week between Christmas and New Years before...

I am assuming the park will be VERY VERY busy and will be prepared for that...also assuming DL will be open til midnight every night...just wondering , does it stay busy all day and night - or does it quiet down after the fireworks? also we are rope drop type people - will it be quieter in the AM?

or is it crazy busy open to close
It is crazy busy the few times we have been there at this time, but if you get there right at opening, you can do soooo much for a few hours till about 10:30 then poof!! there are people everywhere you look!! Get a fast pass for something (anything) right when you get there, then by the time you are ready to leave the time will be expired and you can get another one for something else because you can use them anytime up to closing, just not before the time they show. Then we head to somewhere nice to eat, then head over to DCA for a while, get a fast pass for something there, then back to our room. Head back to the park later for shows, parades, whichever rides you have fast passes for and whatever does not have a big line! sorry...so excited to be getting there again in 2 months and 4 days, I can't stop jumping around!! Lol...

In Loving Memory of our dear son 02/22/1982-01/28/2011
Old 09-24-2010, 08:29 PM   #1512
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!

We did do a big group dinner at Goofy's last fall -- 10 "adults", three children, and two under-3s, so 15 people. They told me we had to count "anyone with a heartbeat" in terms of reservation numbers, even if they weren't old enough to pay for. BTW, that 15th person pushed us into a special category for "groups" and required a couple extra phone calls to straighten out.

We were paying for everyone as part of a big trip/treat, so I don't know about splitting the check -- perhaps make the reservation for the whole group and ask then about everyone paying their own when you get there. I would *think* you could pay with a combination of vouchers and cash when everyone showed up. I see the bigger problem (especially if they are locals) of people dropping in and out leading up to the date.

I certainly don't know about the etiquette of inviting/paying. I think you'd probably have to word it like, "We're going to be eating at Goofy's, would you want to meet us there? It's kind of expensive -- here's how much. I could get you a discount voucher or you could just pay when you get there." Probably the approach depends on how well you know the people.

PHXscuba
Old 09-25-2010, 02:11 AM   #1513
Desert Dwellers
Mouseketeer

Love, love, love looking at all the holiday pictures as my vacation countdown draws nearer. There is a fun thread in the Community Board with the ABC's of DL pics. So much fun to look at, really amazing photos - something to occupy me while I wait for the holiday schedule to be released.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2557176
Old 09-25-2010, 12:04 PM   #1514
funatdisney
Disneyland, DH and my horses have a soothing effect on my soul, and always brings a smile on my face.

Thanks for the link to the ABC's in pictures thread, Desert Dwellers. I find it delightful and fun. Brought a smile to my face more than once. In fact, I have posted a picture for "W".

DVC member since 2007; SSR and VGC.

Last edited by funatdisney; 09-25-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:06 PM   #1515
jessicaerv
Mouseketeer

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXscuba View Post
We did do a big group dinner at Goofy's last fall -- 10 "adults", three children, and two under-3s, so 15 people. They told me we had to count "anyone with a heartbeat" in terms of reservation numbers, even if they weren't old enough to pay for. BTW, that 15th person pushed us into a special category for "groups" and required a couple extra phone calls to straighten out.

We were paying for everyone as part of a big trip/treat, so I don't know about splitting the check -- perhaps make the reservation for the whole group and ask then about everyone paying their own when you get there. I would *think* you could pay with a combination of vouchers and cash when everyone showed up. I see the bigger problem (especially if they are locals) of people dropping in and out leading up to the date.

I certainly don't know about the etiquette of inviting/paying. I think you'd probably have to word it like, "We're going to be eating at Goofy's, would you want to meet us there? It's kind of expensive -- here's how much. I could get you a discount voucher or you could just pay when you get there." Probably the approach depends on how well you know the people.

PHXscuba
Ooooo, thanks for the idea on the wording, I really like that. Regardless of where we eat I'm looking forward to getting all the friends together. Most of them have been friends with my DH for 35 years (since grade school). They all started their families early, but we got a late start. I'm very excited to introduce our DD to them.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: