DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2009, 09:54 AM   #1
alamode
Mouseketeer

Rotate Resorts or Stay at the Same One

I just made our first DVC reservations for May of next year at our home resort of SSR. My idea as of now is to rotate resorts, that is, try a different one each year. Good idea in theory, but I'm also the kind of person that always gets the same thing at a restaurant, even though I scour the entire menu each time.

I was just wondering how many DVCers have tried several resorts, and how many stick to the same one each trip.

Last edited by alamode; 08-19-2009 at 09:55 AM. Reason: typo
alamode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:57 AM   #2
Kickapoo Joie Juice
Gone.

We always are at VWL for the Christmas season (it's sort of a family tradition now), but we rotate around, mostly based on space/availability/itinerary. Plus I'd like to try all of them at least once. This year Saratoga Springs and Hilton Head were first visits for us...
Kickapoo Joie Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-19-2009, 10:27 AM   #3
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there

You can't know what you're missing if you don't try anything new! I've tried them all, except BLT, THV (just give me time) and I now have 1 ultimate favorite and two other favorites depending on the occasion.

All of the resorts have the same set up etc. so at the end of the day, my opinion only, even if it's not like your home resort it can't be a bad stay, it will just be a different experience. IMO, there isn't a bad resort in the lot, it's all Disney and you're on vacation with people you hopefully like to spend time with, so it's all good!

Variety is the spice of life!

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV
BEASLYBOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:00 AM   #4
DopeyDave
Earned one Ear, working on my second!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEASLYBOO View Post
You can't know what you're missing if you don't try anything new!
Variety is the spice of life!
I couldn't have said it better myself! I always try to get into new resorts on my next visit. If there aren't any new ones to experience, then I pick a resort that best suits the purpose of the trip. I too have stayed at every DVC resort (except those that opened in the past 12 months!)

First Disney Adventure: WaltDisneyWorld Preview Center - 1969 (I've been hooked ever since!)
Next Disney Adventure: Food & Wine Festival (Sep '14-BLT)
Previous Disney Adventures: Hilton Head Island Resort (May '12), DVC Member Cruise/Food & Wine (Sep/Oct '11), Viva Italia ABD (Sep '09) to name a few!

DopeyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:05 AM   #5
Dizny Dad
DIS Veteran

Take a day when at SSR and visit the different DVC resorts to get a flavor of what to expect. This should take your "I always order the same thing" feeling away since you will know what to expect on your first non-SSR visit to the World.

Enjoy the Mouse in any house!

[YC 10/90][DI 6/98][SSR 8/06][DVC 10/06][SSR 3/07][VWL / SSR 12/07][SSR 5/08][SSR 10/08][VWL 5/09][VWL / SSR 12/09][AKV / SSR 5/10][VWL / SSR 12/10][VWL 5/11]
[VWL 10/11][VWL 12/11][AKL 4/12][VWL 5/12][VWL 12/12][Aulani 2/13][SSR 10/13][VWL 12/13][BWV 5/14][VWL 5/14][AKL 10/14][VWL 10/14][VWL 12/14]
[..& Still Planning]
Dizny Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:16 AM   #6
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

I enjoy a split stay.

You light 'em, they fight 'em. A DVC/Disneyland Resort PTR
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?...1#post51407145
You bet your aft we had a good time: a Disney Wonder trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3260751

rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:18 AM   #7
Sandisw

DISboards Moderator

Wow, you sound like me. My DH always kids me about ordering the same meal whenever we eat out!!!

I just completed our 1st DVC trip and we tried 3 resorts--BWV, BLT, and VWL. It was a bit much for 7 days (would not do 2 moves in a week again) but it gave me a chance to see the different resorts.

And, I am glad that I did. While I was at each resort, I liked them. But, having just gotten back, I can say that I know that BLT is my favorite location (which was the reason we bought, but it was nice to confirm) with VWL finishing a close 2nd.

We are MK people and the ease from both BLT and VWL to that park is important to our vacations. Yet, we visited SSR when we were there and while it would not be a resort I would stay, my DS 20 loved it and is thinking that he would like to own there in a few years when he finishes school and enters the working world.

I would like to give BCV and AKV a try, even if it is for a night or two. From now on, the plan is to visit WDW every year for 6 nights--the first 2 in a studio (since our flight will arrive at night) and then 4 nights in a 1 bedroom. I will probably try out different places for the first 2 nights on occasion, but will always do the 4 nights at BLT. This way, I get to do a bit of variety but know that I will end up with the "status quo" which will keep me grounded!!!

Sandisw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:27 AM   #8
beccasmom
DIS Veteran

We've found split stays work well for us. On this trip (leaving on Friday!) we are staying at BLT for two nights and then the rest of the time will be at our home resort of OKW. We've tried many of the other DVC's, but not all. It is fun to discover different resorts and see what makes each one unique.

Or you can just check them out by visiting them without actually staying there. We've done that as well -- heading over to another resort for a meal or a look around the shops. It's fun! It is also good to have a "back-up plan" in case your home resort ever gets fully booked and you need to think about booking at another resort. It's a big help when making another choice.

beccasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:39 AM   #9
Maistre Gracey
Still trying to figure out the mystery of the 'Downy Ball' and the Tag Fairies??!!
Kevin Bacon looks just like me<

I will only stay at my favorite resorts. I don't need to stay at certain resorts to know I don't like them. I have visited all resorts extensively, and I know the ones that don't appeal to me.
There was only one occasion we were mistaken about a resort, and that was in the reverse.. We thought we would love the YC, but once we tried it we learned we didn't care much for it.

That said, a couple are in my "pretty good" category, but my wife doesn't like them. A couple are in my wife's "pretty good" category, but I don't like them.

End result?? We just stay at the resorts we love...
VWL, AKV, VB, Poly, and sometimes GF (will soon add VGC to the list).

MG

Maistre Gracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:54 AM   #10
toniosmom
AKV, BCV, BLT Owner!

I can't wait to try all of the resorts. So far I've stayed at SSR (on developer points) and loved it. We will be at our home resort AKV next March.

I have a feeling that once my DS4 sees the animals, we are going to have to keep going back there a couple of times before we try anywhere else.

I'd like to try the rest -- not so sure about VB or HH. Well, maybe VB, but I doubt HH. I had a nice vacation at HH (non-DVC) many years ago and don't really feel the need to return.

1974 - Offsite 1976 - Offsite 1997 - Dixie Landings 1998 - Offsite 2008 - All Star Movies - Became new DVC member! March 2009 - SSR - First DVC Vacation!
March 2010 - AKV-Kidani Dec 2010 - BLT Christmas Trip April 2011 - BCV Nov 2011- BWV/DCL Dream March 2013 - BLT/DCL Dream April 2014 - VGF/DCL Dream Sept 2014 - VWL
toniosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:01 PM   #11
pilferk
Jambo Wildbunch Gang
I feel like Rita Rodney Dangerfield...

So far, only AKV (this will be our 3rd trip as DVC owners).

I think we might try BLT in 2011, and maybe Beach or Boardwalk at some point in the future.

But generally...I think we'll likely stay put at AKV, unless something else gets built that we really fall in love with. We really do LOVE AKV. This trip will mark our 7th stay there....4 times in the hotel, and, as I said, our 3rd in the villas.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:03 PM   #12
Jaaron2
Disney Vet

We have stayed at three DVC resorts (BCV, BWV and SSR). We have enjoyed our stays at all three for different reasons. We plan on eventually staying at all the resorts....problem is everytime we plan a vacation the whole family in unison starts to chant....Beach Club.....Beach Club.....Beach Club.....
Old 08-19-2009, 12:09 PM   #13
bobbiwoz
I'm happy to dance with you
I have 2 opinions
We had tried usual things to keep them away, including something like coyote urine, it is sold in hardware stores by us

As much as I love the idea of staying put, I've had myself and DH moving around for many of our recent trips. AKV/BCV is my favorite combination overall, but I also find us at AKV/VWL. This will be our 2nd December with the AKV/VWL combo. It seems that I just can't go to WDW without seeing the animals at AKV!

My spring break is 7 nights at AKV/BWV, a "new" combo for me.

With our DS's family with the DGC, we do not move. BLT is our home for our next trip with them.

Bobbi
Old 08-19-2009, 12:31 PM   #14
dgaston
Proudly wears a "Believes in Fairies" t-shirt

I like trying different DVCs -- DH says it's just a room to sleep in. But he did love AKV Concierge -- only preference so far. We have stayed in all the current DVCs except THV and BLT. Adult kids stay at BLT next month, so I will definitely have a chance to look it over. I am looking forward to trying the THV, but will need some more people on that trip besides DH and I!

We've probably stayed at BWV the most!
Old 08-19-2009, 12:38 PM   #15
BirdsOfPreyDave

DIS Veteran

We're slowly working our way through the list. BLT, AKV and OKW are the ones at WDW we haven't tried yet. The biggest problem we've found is that with every new resort we try, there's a new level of addonitis. I knew I wanted to own at BWV before we even passed the kitchen when walking into our 2 bedroom a few weeks ago.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: