Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2009, 08:46 PM   #1
Mallow
Mouseketeer

Discuss what Disney is doing wrong part II

I was really enjoying the first thread & then had to stop reading in order to get dinner on the table ( darn family obligations ). Imagine my suprise when after dinner I came back to find that the thread had been closed. I had planned to post my thoughts, albeit very similar to other opinions. So, I'd like to start a new thread & I have no qualms about disagreements & differing opinions, so discuss away.

Just to recap: biggest problems seem to be DDP, stroller increases, club closures, lack of frequent flyer program, special event ticket prices, & loads of others I'm sure I forgot to mention.

My opinion with things I'd like to see change:

1) Why is there no 800 #? Like I already don't spend big bucks just to get there, let alone the BIG bucks I spend once I'm there (esp. on the generic shirts, mugs, etc), that they can't at least pay for the phone call.

2) I am planning a 5 day fall getaway & only have 2 days to try & fit in F! (& one of those is one our travel day)

3) Of those 5 days, 3 are MNSSHP & unless I am willing to spend an extra 100 for at least 1 of those days then we're out of luck for any nighttime entertainment @ the MK.

4) Although I am happy to have free dining, I'm having difficulty planning dinner for next week for my family. So knowing what we are going to want to eat 90-180 days from now is too much pressure for me esp. on vacation. So yeah I'm in the leave some walk up resies open, please.

That's all I can think of now as bedtime rituals now are calling (darn those family obligations, like--don't they know I'm discussing Disney). Let me know what y'all think.
08 POFQ
09 POP
10 WL
12 WL
(14) (11)
Mallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:56 PM   #2
StitchandPooh'sMom
Now if only I could think of something witty to say . . .

I'm not sure why the first thread was closed, but you are generally not supposed to reopen closed threads (unless they are closed because they were too long).

I'm sure a moderator will weigh in if this thread is not supposed to be here. Just wanted to give you a heads-up!
StitchandPooh'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-18-2009, 09:00 PM   #3
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Right - reopening a closed thread can get you points/infraction from the mods, per the boards terms of use.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:05 PM   #4
VikingInMouseEars
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchandPooh'sMom View Post
I'm not sure why the first thread was closed, but you are generally not supposed to reopen closed threads (unless they are closed because they were too long).

I'm sure a moderator will weigh in if this thread is not supposed to be here. Just wanted to give you a heads-up!
The first thread was closed because the OP of #1 had made a request that it not become a debate thread and of course thats what was happening, and after asking several times that people stop some of the posters started telling her that even though she started the thread, she didn't have any right to make rules (simple though they were, just goes to show people are a lot braver in doing what ever they want when they aren't face to face). So instead of creating their own thread they choose to crash hers. So she asked the mods to close it.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:07 PM   #5
tfoster
My friends call me T

Well, I for one, thought the first thread was a nice one and was surprised the OP of it got so upset. I don't recall seeing any arguments whatsoever.

I'm happy another thread was started and hope it doesn't get closed.

------------------

12.10 - Universal and SeaWorld - Portofino Bay and Renaissance SeaWorld
12.09 - WDW - Fort Wilderness Cabin
12.07 - WDW - ASSp (DH and oldest DS for baseball tournament)
09.07 - WDW - CSR (Me and DD with friend and her DD/DS), disastrous MNSSHP
02.07 - WDW - POR, P&PP
04.04 - WDW - off-site (Nickelodeon), combined with trip to Sarasota
04.99 - WDW - off-site (can't remember where!), combined with trip to St. Augustine
03.97 - WDW and SeaWorld - off-site (Best Western), combined with trip to Cocoa Beach
tfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:11 PM   #6
PIRATEGIRL007
DIS Cast Member
OMG! I am about to jump up and down!
real technical words, aren't they!

I also enjoyed the original thread. I think its frustrating when threads that are not controversal and a free for all fight are closed. There was some pretty good discussion going on over there. Its not like anyone was using old mugs, pool hopping while thier double booked ADR's were wasting away w/ no one showing up.
PIRATEGIRL007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:15 PM   #7
dawgsgirl
DIS Veteran

I was also enjoying the other thread. My major complaint is the special parties at the MK. There are times I have been at WDW that a nighttime trip to the Mk was almost impossible. Don't get me started on Disney greed on that one. My other complaint would be calling Disney. They can sure mess up things and most of the poor underpaid and untrained CM's just don't have a clue.
dawgsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:18 PM   #8
StitchandPooh'sMom
Now if only I could think of something witty to say . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingInMouseEars View Post
The first thread was closed because the OP of #1 had made a request that it not become a debate thread and of course thats what was happening, and after asking several times that people stop some of the posters started telling her that even though she started the thread, she didn't have any right to make rules (simple though they were, just goes to show people are a lot braver in doing what ever they want when they aren't face to face). So instead of creating their own thread they choose to crash hers. So she asked the mods to close it.
Once again, I take the dog to dog training and miss all the drama on the DIS. Now I have to go find the thread and see what all the fuss is about.

OP, if the OP of the first thread asked that it be closed, you might be in the clear on starting your own. (Total speculation on my part, though . . .)
StitchandPooh'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:22 PM   #9
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

Sometimes, I just don't understand this place.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:25 PM   #10
Mallow
Mouseketeer

Like some PP's have said, they (& of course me too) were really enjoying the first thread, I meant no disrepect to anybody, but I was suprised by the abruptness of the closure when every one was really discussing things pretty amicably. If the mods feel this needs to be closed then so be it, but I just felt we could continue our discussion of things we would like to see change.
08 POFQ
09 POP
10 WL
12 WL
(14) (11)
Mallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:30 PM   #11
familydisney
Mouseketeer

I agree with the Fantasmic! thing...We're there for 10 days...10 DAYS! F! is only showing 2 nights??? We're having to leave MK during EMH on my son's birthday just to see it.
I also am annoyed about the special events. They're ridiculously expensive and DH won't pay that for "days we have already paid for".
It seems they're trying to jimmy things around so they can stay afloat in rough times, and for that, they may be the only smart ones. I'm starting to feel like a sucker, though. They'll come through unscathed since they have foresight, unlike some of the other industries. They'll just be doing it on my money...
I'm still overall happy with most things, but this trip in 10 days will either cement the life-time Disney deal for me or may break the cycle of Disney-only vacations. We may finally be able to do other things more reasonably...?
familydisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:41 PM   #12
tfoster
My friends call me T

Upon thinking about this and reading others opinions, I have to say my biggest disappointment is the MK special events. The price has increased A LOT over the past couple of years, and with the way it's handled (party goers getting in hours before the party and non party goers being asked to leave the park early along with there being so many it makes it difficult to plan a visit if you're not attending), I think Disney is trying to force people to just buck up and lay over the cash for the too-high-priced tickets. I really resent that. We're already spending thousands of dollars for less than a one week's stay.

My other, more minor, complaint is the lack of QS dining options for children.

------------------

12.10 - Universal and SeaWorld - Portofino Bay and Renaissance SeaWorld
12.09 - WDW - Fort Wilderness Cabin
12.07 - WDW - ASSp (DH and oldest DS for baseball tournament)
09.07 - WDW - CSR (Me and DD with friend and her DD/DS), disastrous MNSSHP
02.07 - WDW - POR, P&PP
04.04 - WDW - off-site (Nickelodeon), combined with trip to Sarasota
04.99 - WDW - off-site (can't remember where!), combined with trip to St. Augustine
03.97 - WDW and SeaWorld - off-site (Best Western), combined with trip to Cocoa Beach
tfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:42 PM   #13
Technosavant
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingInMouseEars View Post
Some folks cry when they learn that the internet doesn't always follow the rules you might wish to impose upon it.

As for what Disney is doing wrong, well, I don't think I have a huge list like many. I'd like to see a bit more variety in the restaurants- just about all the table service locations have eight or so entrees, a tiny fraction of what you'd find elsewhere. I don't expect them to have a menu large enough to come in hardback, but a bit more choice would give more reason to return (other than just having again what you enjoyed before).

I can't say that I've experienced the rude CMs or dirty conditions reported by others, but that could also have to do with us visiting during off peak times- if it's mid summer, stifling heat and humidity, and crushing crowds I can see how CMs might not be at the top of their games.
Technosavant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 09:50 PM   #14
missesdisney
DIS Veteran

I don't have any major complaints (ok I would like a boy character meal or for Disney in general to recognize that there are boys out there too...so one complaint), but I do notice a trend.

We are DVC members and go every year, sometimes twice. Price increases, less shows, more expensive not as great food, lousy selection for purchases....we still go every year. I don't really fuss about the things that would otherwise bother me because I am in Disney. And because those of us who do go often and plan long and hard are still doing that, Disney is not worried about the changes. Something in the water making us want to go back over and over. If the Disney magic bites you, many things can be overlooked I think. They will always be able to make these kinds of changes as long as the market allows it and the market just allows it at Disney. All of these discounts and perks are to get people there who wouldn't otherwise go so they can spend money at Disney in other revenue areas.
Old 08-18-2009, 10:04 PM   #15
Justsyd2
I snorted Coca-Cola out of my nose when he said that! Speaks French when no one else is around. "Why am I covered in feathers?"

I really don't see Disney doing much wrong -- for what they offer, and for the thousands of people that they deal with, I have to give them kudos for handling things as well as they do. There's no way they can ever make everyone happy, but they are so accommodating that I just can't find much to complain about. If if I had to pick something -- I'd say that some of their restaurants could accommodate more people.

(Me) (DH)

2010 - Carnival/Paradise - Catalina Island/Ensenada and Disneyland
2009 - WDW/Caribbean Beach Resort
2007 - New Jersey/New York
2006 - Kansas City, Mo
2005 - Carnival/Fantasy - Bahamas
2003 - Big Bend National Park/Port Aransas, TX
2002 - RCC/Rhapsody - Key West/Belize/Cozumel
1998 - Disneyland - 9 times!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: