Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2009, 08:46 AM   #1
Ms. Heimlich
I'm a beautiful butterfly, too!

If you are what you eat, then I only want to eat the Good Stuff

Good food is like music you can taste, color you can smell. There is excellence all around you. You need only to be aware to stop and savor it – Gusteau (Rattatouille)

Hello to all my Dis friends!

Welcome to my dining review. If you haven’t had a chance, you might bounce over and read “Parks? What Parks?...” (Link in my signature) It was my first attempt at a dining review and has tons of pics and reviews in it!

On to this year’s trip!

Your group of hosts (eaters) this trip will be:

Janis, Me – AKA Ms. Heimlich – I am 34 and like many of you, a lover of all things Disney. I especially like the Muppets and the newer Pixar movies like Bugs Life & Ratatouille. My day job is as an entomologist for a large pest management company. I am a fairly open minded eater but will NOT eat peaches and I prefer not to eat mushrooms.

I have no comment or caption for this picture....

Thomas, DH – He is 38 and tolerates my love of Disney. He has, however, been brought to the dark side by my cunning and smarts (ok… by the food!!). He is patient and appreciates all the time I spend researching food… err I mean our vacations! By day he works for our state DOT. He is also a very open minded eater. He loves just about everything but won’t eat beef liver.

Yummy! Chocolate Gingerbread Woman!

Faith, DD – She is 16. I could just leave it at that… but I will also say she loves the princess movies, with a tie between Belle and Ariel as her favorites. She will be a Junior in high school in the fall. She is a VERY adventurous eater and amazes me with her food selections on a regular basis. She loves fruit, tomatoes, and just about all veggie type foods. She is not a big fan of shrimp.

This won't be my last Mickey Bar!

I will attempt to keep this post updated with links for the reviews as I get them up.

Welcome Aboard!

Skip to the Reviews HERE:
Waterloo Ice House - Austin Airport
Earl of Sandwich - DTD
Captain Cooks - The Polynesian
Aloha Isle & Meadows Snack Bar (Sortof)
Tutto Italia at Italy in Epcot (Part 1)
Tutto Italia at Italy in Epcot (Part 2)
Link to a Review of Fort Wilderness Cabins
A Quick Snack in the World Showcase
Picnic in the Park at Animal Kingdom
The Wave at Contemporary Resort (Part 1)
The Wave at Contemporary Resort (Part 2)
Main Street Goodies
The Crystal Palace at Magic Kingdom - A Picture Review
Tangierine Cafe at Epcot Morrocco and a Kaki Gori in Japan
Wishes Dessert Party - Tommorowland Terrace, Magic Kingdom

Last edited by Ms. Heimlich; 05-18-2011 at 03:36 PM. Reason: update links
Ms. Heimlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:56 AM   #2
Ms. Heimlich

Waterloo Ice House - Austin Airport

Our first culinary experience is at the Airport… Okay, maybe culinary experience might be a little strong, but it was food, and part of our vacation so I felt obliged to include it in this review.

We ate at the Waterloo Ice House. An Austin, Texas based restaurant begun in 1976, Waterloo Ice House is named after the original settlement where Austin now stands.

Unfortunately, their food tastes like it was made in 1976. It was warm and moderately edible. It kept us from gnawing our arms off while we waited and waited for our plane (which was delayed over an hour…).

Grilled Chicken Sandwich

2 Orders of fries (an extra one for the three of us to share) with a side of (nasty) ranch dressing.

Obviously, I don’t recommend the Waterloo Ice House at the Austin, Texas airport.

Bring your own food to the airport.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-17-2009, 08:57 AM   #3
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

Enjoyed your last review ... can't wait for this one!
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
GoofySon'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:10 AM   #4
iluvpluto27
DIS Veteran

I'm in!

Sept 11 - 21 Days of DxDDP Dining Review

Sept 2005 - ASMU
Sept 2007 - POFQ/Hard Rock Hotel
Sept 2008 - AKL/Hard Rock Hotel
Sept 2009 - SSR/BWI/Hard Rock Hotel
Sept 2011 - BC/Royal Pacific/CR
Sept 2012 - BC/Royal Pacific
May 2013 - WL/Royal pacific
iluvpluto27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 09:27 AM   #6
disneyfav4ever
No matter how your heart is grieving, if you keep on believing, the dream that you wish will come true.

Can't wait to read all of your reviews.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:29 AM   #7
catne
DIS Veteran

waiting...
January (twice) & February 2014 SSR December 2013 POFQ October 2013 Off-site, September 2013,POFQ March 2013 AoA Feb 2013 POFQ Feb 2013 POFQ Jan 2013 Caribbean Beach Nov 2012 POFQ Sept 2012 BC May 2012 POFQ Mar 2012 POFQ Feb 2012 POFQ JAN 2012 AKL Oct 2011 Wilderness Lodge Sep 2011 POFQ Feb 2011 Pop Century Jan 2011 Pop CenturyNov 2010 CSR Sept 2010 Boardwalk May 2010 POFQ Jan 2010 BCV 2009 Sept & 2009 May POFQ 2009 Jan Contempo 2008 Sept Pop 2008 May POFQ 2007 May Poly 2000 May FW Cabin 1992 May off site 1990 May off site
catne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 11:20 AM   #8
butiflfeet
DIS Veteran

Can't wait for more!
Old 08-17-2009, 12:43 PM   #9
TigerKat
HOPE YOUR DAY IS FILLED WITH JOY AND HAPPINESS !!
Blow some of that cool air down here
Warning! Getting a tag is hazardous to my mouse

I'm in!
Old 08-17-2009, 01:37 PM   #10
MrsSpratt
I've got a Bazooka full of Pixie Dust, and I'm not afraid to use it!

I'm so sad that Waterloo at the Airport was disappointing - it is usually very good! That being said, whenever I fly through there, I always go for Salt Lick - so yummy!

Can't wait for more!

Mrs. Spratt

The "Bueller" Family hits the world, with Auntie Spratt reporting Pixie Dust LIVE!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2215281
MrsSpratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:06 PM   #11
Ms. Heimlich

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoofySon'sMom View Post
Enjoyed your last review ... can't wait for this one!
Thanks... These are so fun to write!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvpluto27 View Post
I'm in!
Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfav4ever View Post
Can't wait to read all of your reviews.
There's gonna be a bunch!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyNicki View Post
Count me in!
Yipee!
Quote:
Originally Posted by catne View Post
waiting...
Comin' right up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by butiflfeet View Post
Can't wait for more!
Here they come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerKat View Post
I'm in!
WooHOo!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSpratt View Post
I'm so sad that Waterloo at the Airport was disappointing - it is usually very good! That being said, whenever I fly through there, I always go for Salt Lick - so yummy!

Can't wait for more!

Mrs. Spratt
We've eaten at the "real" Waterloo and found it good. Well passable! This was not. Oh, well.... next time I will bring my own or try something new!

I've got one more ready!
Old 08-17-2009, 02:09 PM   #12
Ms. Heimlich

Earl of Sandwich - DTD

On to our first Disney food!! Yipee!

We arrived on Disney property about 8:00 and had made previous plans to eat at DTD. We stowed our many bags in the room and headed out.

Uh. Oh. DTD was a MAD HOUSE. There were people EVERYWHERE and parking was scarce. I didn't even think about the fact that it was Friday night and DTD might be busy... We finally nabbed a spot (way in the boonies) and headed in to Earl of Sandwich!

The line was L O N G. We waited. Since we had not started our Dining plan yet, we paid out of pocket.

Thomas had The Original. Roast Beef, Cheddar Cheese & Creamy Horseradish Sauce on the lovely EOS bread.

Faith and I both had the All American - Roasted Turkey, Buttermilk Ranch, Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Lettuce & Tomato on the YUMMO EOS bread. The sandwich is supposed to come with cranberries…. We 86’d the cranberries. I mean I love cranberries, but with ranch dressing??? I don’t think so…

We also got a bag of chips and a chocolate chip cookie.

Thomas wasn’t too crazy about his sandwich. He thought there was WAY too much of the creamy sauce on it. It wasn’t very horseradish-y either. There was no heat or zip, only glopped on creamy sauce. The roast beef was tasty though.

Faith and I LOVED our sandwiches. Thomas tried some of mine and agreed we had won this particular ordering match. The bread is wonderful (have I mentioned that here yet?) and the turkey, cheese, and ranch dressing were perfectly warmed through. The tomato was ripe the lettuce was still crisp. They went so well with the other ingredients… I loved this sandwich.

The cookie was large. Huge actually. It was soft and gooey... maybe a little on the greasy side, but the three of us polished it off in short order. I love the kettle cooked style potato chips. They are crispy and thicker than regular chips. I can feel my butt getting bigger when I eat them, but MAN they taste good!

All in all it was a memorable visit to DTD and EOS. I love their sandwiches and we managed one more visit here! We skedaddled out of DTD because it was SOOOOO crowded and we were beat. We also knew we had to get up and at ‘em early to get checked in to our real resort and make it to rope drop at MK.

Last edited by Ms. Heimlich; 08-17-2009 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-17-2009, 02:27 PM   #13
jessrose18
ADVENTURE IS OUT THERE!!

jessrose18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:46 PM   #14
catsaneda
Mouseketeer

Thumbs up

Count me in!

Me DSis

catsaneda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:29 PM   #15
helloconnie
DIS Veteran

I'm in....

Are you on teh Dining Plan? If so, which one?

If not, would you mind tracking to see if you come in lower than buying into the plan?

BLT - Oct 2013, DCL/Fantasy & Boardwalk Villas - June 2012, Bay Lake Tower - December 2010, October 2010, June 2010, AKV- Kidani - Feb 2010, Beach Club Resort 2009, Wilderness Lodge 2008, Carribbean Beach Resort 1999, Dolphin 1991, Offsite (3) 1996, 1988, 1985 (If memory servers me)

helloconnie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: