Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2009, 06:40 PM   #1
Momma Chaos
Earning My Ears

Discount for Foster children?

Someone told me that foster children either got tickets to Disney for free or at a greatly reduced rate. Does anyone here know anything about it? I did contact Disney themselves to verify or deny but I'm still awaiting their response and figured I might as well ask here
Momma Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 07:08 PM   #2
brekin67
DIS Veteran

I have never heard that. Not sure how they would verify children were in foster care and confidentiality requirements would prohibit any disclosure.
I think they just help the M.A.W. kids. Foster children receive the state subsidy assistance, so the foster parents would have that money to help. We have had a foster home for 15 years. If the foster parent does take the kids to Disney and it is out of state make sure they let the Judge and County worker know of the whereabouts. We did take several of our foster children a few years ago. One of the kids wound up going home sooner than expected so we were out his airfare. Dureing that trip another one of the boys became ill and had to go to the ER. We were happy that his Medicaid card was accepted there and we had no problems. We took a letter from the County Worker that we could seek medical assistance, but the ER did not ask for anything. I also work for DHS and am so happy when foster families include their kiddos on these family vacations. It is disheartening when the family takes their own kids and puts the foster kids in the shelter or respite home while they are on vacation.
brekin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-16-2009, 10:26 PM   #3
angwill
I just want to live at WDW!

I was a foster parent in the past and I never heard of any discounts for foster kids at Disney either. HTH
Old 08-17-2009, 02:06 AM   #4
SandrA9810
DIS Veteran

People do like to talk... Mostly I've heard people gripping that Disney should offer discounts for elderly, for foster kids, for babysitters, for medical aid, and anything that can make them think they are more special than the general population.
I do understand the need for a medical assistant, but if your family is planning a trip and you're paying for the Aid's help, that should be part of the budget.

Make A Wish is about the only program I can think of off hand that Disney gives free tickets too. I know there are several other wish granting organization, but I don't know the extent of what Disney does for them.
SandrA9810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 02:53 AM   #5
tatooed goofy
Mickey's #1 Fan until Goofy shows up!!

All I have to say is that your foster kids are very lucky to have you!!!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breaths away!
tatooed goofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 07:55 AM   #6
mom2twinz3
tag spectator

Probably not, but I am glad you at least contacted them to ask. It never hurts to ask. Please let us know what the response is. I think you are wonderful for taking them, and I hope you have a wonderful, wonderful trip!
Old 08-17-2009, 08:07 AM   #7
PoohHappens
DIS Veteran

We are liscensed and this is not something I have heard. I do know our childrens museum in town offers a free family membership for foster families. This is very nice as the number of children in your household can be different and with this card you have admission for whoever is living in your household at that time.
1995-Port Orleans 2000-All Star Sports
2003-Caribbean Beach 2004-All Star Movies
2005 Port Orleans Riverside 4/2007 Saratoga Springs
8/2007 POFQ 11/2008-off site
10/2011 Bonnet Creek
me- DH- DS- DD
PoohHappens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:07 PM   #8
Momma Chaos
Earning My Ears

Thanks for the responses. I did hear back from Disney and no , it was just a rumor. There is no discount for foster children.. I figured it was a rumor but thought what the heck! We have been foster parents for almost 5yrs and take our foster children on every vacation ect. They are treated exactly like our own children and have been to Disney yearly. I just figured if on the off chance this was true we might as well take advantage of it
Momma Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 06:25 AM   #9
MN Vikings Fan
Looking forward to our next trip to Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma Chaos View Post
Thanks for the responses. I did hear back from Disney and no , it was just a rumor. There is no discount for foster children.. I figured it was a rumor but thought what the heck! We have been foster parents for almost 5yrs and take our foster children on every vacation ect. They are treated exactly like our own children and have been to Disney yearly. I just figured if on the off chance this was true we might as well take advantage of it
You sound like great foster parents!
MN Vikings Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 07:45 AM   #10
HoneyPooh
DIS Cast Member
Magic Erasers make her as happy as a pig in *censored by the Tag Fairy*

Never hurts to ask!
HoneyPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:22 AM   #11
quentina
The bridge has been built and crossed
Old cups are just that.......old cups

Nope, we paid full price when we took our 2 foster kids (who are now our legal children)!
quentina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 10:38 AM   #12
Inigo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneyPooh View Post
Never hurts to ask!
My theory has always been if you don't ask, the answer is No. If you do ask, the answer is maybe.
Inigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 04:20 PM   #13
ilovebassets
Animal Kingdom fanatic!

Just wanted to say thanks to all the foster parents for all their hard work! I have worked in pediatric ERs in the past, and we see a lot of foster kids and kids in state custody. There are some wonderfully unselfish foster parents are out there--you guys are great!
June 2012 - 22 weeks pregnant at CSR
March 2013 - Disney Magic here we come for eight magical nights!
October 2013 - Fort Wilderness Cabins and free dining with a pirate obsessed three year old and one year old
May 2014 - Back to Fort Wilderness Cabins!
September 2014 - Checking out the Disney's Hilton Head resort for four nights
November 2014 - Hitting the high seas on the Disney Fantasy with 2 and 4 year old boys!
ilovebassets is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: