Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-2009, 09:47 AM   #1
urbanpeach
Earning My Ears

Cheap Disney Souvenirs?

Anyone know where to buy cheap disney souvenirs before the trip? In order to save money I'd like to purchase some disney things before my trip to give to DS 5 every morning when he wakes up instead of spending loads of money on souvenirs at the park.
urbanpeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:06 AM   #2
Hannathy
When I stop laughing I will answer you

IMO your way you still end up with a bunch of CHEAP junk and they aren't even souvenirs because he didn't get them at the park or importantly pick out himself. I would instead figure out how much you would spend say $15-$20 (whatever you would have spent) and tell your child you have $15 to pick out something to remember Disney by and let him pick out something he really wants and will remember
Disney by instead of just junky toys that won't have any lasting meaning.

Doing that with my son he picked out a wood gun first trip, the model of the star tours ride vehicle the next trip and a monorail model (small metal 3 piece one) last trip. He still has all 3 and are in his room and are taken care of and played with and are all things he couldn't have bought at home.
Hannathy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-15-2009, 10:16 AM   #3
lucigo
DIS Veteran

I agree with the PP, we tried this when the kids were younger and still ended up with them wanting stuff in the parks. Our kids would window shop all week and then the last day buy that one thing that they couldn't get out of their head (within reason of course).

I should add this does not work for my youngest who collects disney cars and busses! But I suppose being the "baby" he is a little spoiled LOL
Old 08-15-2009, 01:15 PM   #4
mom2aiden
Mouseketeer

This did work for us last year. Each morning a different character brought my DS (3 at the time) a small gift that I had purchased before the trip. Usually in theme with what we were doing that day. He loved the Disney figurines I found at the Dollar Store (or Tree? can't remember which). I also got glow bracelets and necklaces from there.

I found some great deals on ebay. I bought two light spinners (which the seller got from WDW) for $10 total. One was Buzz, the other Nemo. My son still plays with them. I also found good deals on Disney t-shirts on eBay too. Found a great Bruce shirt, which he got alot of comments on for $3 on eBay.

In the parks, he really didn't ask to buy anything, b/c he usually brought his gift from that morning with him. The only thing he asked for was a set of Cars from the movie, which I gladly bought him since he didn't ask for anything else. I also got a set of pins with a lanyard on eBay for $10 (great deal!!! included 8 pins) and so he was constantly trading pins and so those were "new" things to him and cost me only $10.

Now, this year, he's a little older, so it may be different!
October 2013 Boardwalk Villas
mom2aiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 02:17 PM   #5
MonkersMama
Mouseketeer

I bought the following items for the kids so they won't be bugging for souveniers: EVERYTHING I bought was on sale or clearance.

DS - Nintendo DS (for our loooong drive), and one game, 1 DVD (Hercules), a pack of Star Wars trading cards, 2 Star Wars books, a pirate card game, 1 t-shirt.

DD - some Disney board books. I put away some of DS's old stuff so it's "new to her" (i.e. Sesame Street DVDs, toys), 1 t-shirt.

We've allotted about $20 to each of them for something to buy while we're there - DS will mostly likely do the "build a light saber".

November 2007 ~ POP ~ DS 4th birthday
August 2009 ~ POFQ ~ Our 10th Anniversary
November 2011 ~ POFQ ~ Happy Graduate School Graduation for me! ~ DS 8th birthday ~ SIL birthday ~ It's turning into a PARTY!!!
November 2013 ~ POFQ ~ DS 10th birthday ~ Mickey's Jingle Jangle 5K
January 2014 ~ All Star Sports ~ My First Half Marathon
MonkersMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 03:00 PM   #6
Grumpy'sWife4Ever
DIS Veteran

We did a mix of above ideas - our kids saved their own $$ for souvies in the park so we knew they'd be shopping anyway, but we also had a long road trip to get there so I wanted little themed "treats" to pass out along the way to keep them occupied. I found lots of fun Disney themed items at Dollar tree - slide puzzles, kaledioscopes, crayons, color books, figurines, etc. All in Disney Princess, Cars, Tink, Pooh, and Mickey. Also at Target I found several small toys that were around $3-$4 - pinball games, toy cell phones, lighted spinners, and so on. They were on a specific end base in the toy aisle.
And I might throw in that a small plastic handle basket or tote bag from Dollar Tree is a fantastic idea for them to keep all their things together in one place - especially if there are lots of small and easily misplaced items.
Old 08-15-2009, 03:08 PM   #7
kadesha
DIS Veteran

I've never been able to get out of buying stuff at the parks, even when I did bring along gifts to give the kids in the mornings. Go to the dollar tree and buy some glow sticks though. That'll save you money at night when all the kids start pulling out their glowing stuff.

The dollar tree also has some disney themed stuff. I would budget for spending in the parks too though.

Last trips: August 2006, May 2007, November 2008, June 2009, and May 2012

Kadesha
Al
Alyssa
Destiny
kadesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 05:17 PM   #8
CindyCharming
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannathy View Post
IMO your way you still end up with a bunch of CHEAP junk and they aren't even souvenirs because he didn't get them at the park or importantly pick out himself. I would instead figure out how much you would spend say $15-$20 (whatever you would have spent) and tell your child you have $15 to pick out something to remember Disney by and let him pick out something he really wants and will remember
Disney by instead of just junky toys that won't have any lasting meaning.
I agree with this. I find, especially from reading the boards, that it's easy to get caught up in the fun of buying cheap little Disney things at home to give to the kids every morning. But the reality is, you end up with a bunch of cheap stuff that gets lost and misplaced and has no real meaning attached to it when you could have just used that money to buy one nice thing.

Your son is still at an age where it's pretty easy to get away with having him pick out one thing and be satisfied so enjoy that. I think we all forget that just being at Disney is such a treat all by itself.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:16 PM   #9
metime
Mouseketeer

Part of the fun of planning for our family is looking for Disney stuff to take. We still get a souvenier or 3 but we love finding Disney stuff prior to going.

Micheals craft store had a few little things in their dollar section that were marked down 30% off toys and coloring stuff.

Sears has a number of T-shirts. We found great shirts at Hot Topic with Ariel and Tinkerbell on clearance (I only wear characters at the WDW). I also saw some cute things in sears.

We do not buy any clothing souveniers at WDW just a significant item that someone wants.

It is hard to find mickey stuff though. My daughter is not a girly girl and does not like the princess items that seem to be everywhere.
metime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:34 PM   #10
we3are1
Mouseketeer

If you can get to a Disney store before you go, you can find some great deals. They had kids tshirts for $4 each and adults for $5 and character cups too for a few dollars. Keep your eyes open as you are shopping around for other vacation needs. I found a Star Wars coloring book at Dollar General for about $2, Walgreens had the Disney pez dispenser for 50% .75 I think, a friend found disney crocs at Big Lots for like $9, and ebay had some great items as well. Also Target and Michaels had lots of princess and high school musical items for about $1. I hope that helps and you have a great trip!

Wendy in VA
we3are1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 09:32 PM   #11
denisegold
Mouseketeer

I was going to suggest Family Dollar, and if there is a Disney Store near you, they always have clearance stuff. If you look online at the Disney Store, they usually have some really good stuff in the clearance section (if you have time to place an order before you go).
I think it's a great idea, and I have done it myself. I think it's funny that people are suggesting you do it their way when you just asked for places to buy stuff. Why on earth would doing it your way make the souvenir have no meaning, or be junk?
You DS is only 5 years old- you still have plenty of time to teach him the value of a buck, and I applaud you for buying some less expensive stuff in advance.
denisegold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 10:24 PM   #12
scustons
Earning My Ears

I recently found several very inexpensive items locally. I found a lot of choices at the Dollar Tree (5 different coloring books, light up yo-yo, mini frisbees, etc.). I got a few things at Michael's where they are currently on clearance. I also got a couple of things from our local Disney store that were on clearance (sunglasses for $1.99 which DS will need anyway, Pooh activity set with stamps and pencils which we can use while at TS since he's only 3 for $2.99, and some of the small beanbag plush was $2.99 as well).

I've also found inexpensive books with some of the Disney stories in them at both Dollar Tree and the Christmas Tree Shops.

HTH!
Suzanne
scustons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:25 AM   #13
DisneyAndRedSox
I still call it a WEDWay PeopleMover!

Here's my list:

I do a few 'Tinkerbelle' gifts. I go to Dollar Tree and get packs of the glow bracelets, I always get plenty for other kids if their parents say it is OK. You'd be surprised how happy parents are when you whip out a pack of glow bracelets and the parade souvenier cart is about to come by! Michaels also has them, I think they are 15 for a buck. They also have a glow wand that my DD loved for Spectromagic at Dollar Tree.

Everyting else... I get stuff we can use on vacation and again at home. I get pj's and flip flops on clearance at Disney store earlier in the year. A month ago I found a Little Mermaid dress and t-shirt for next trip, then she will still fit in it summer 2010. You still might be able to get a Disney store swimsuit on clearance. I also get a few new t-shirts on clearance with Tink or Minnie to wear into the park or to character meals. You can even buy a pack of Disney theme underpants at Target and surprise him to use vacation! I think I saw Cars themed a few weeks ago. LOL I have also found Disney themed pocket-sized fans on clearance at Disney store.

Last trip I found Tinkerbelle ponchos at Publix to put away for next trip as a Tinkerbelle gift, of course my DD found it!

I get a new Disney coloring book at Dollar Tree for our carry-on bag.

My Mom gives her a new Disney DVD for the flight.

Does your son wear Crocs? Surpise him with some Disney jibbitz. I also keep my eye out for Disney barrettes for DD.

For girls- DD brings Bitty Baby everywhere, I might buy her a Disney themed outfit on eBay. For our cruise she got a sailing themed outfit.

Targer dollar area sometimes have ziploc type bags that are Disney themed. I brought some to put snacks in. Sometimes they also have Disney socks.

Another thing I am going to do... get a personalized pillowcase from Disney store online. Then I will bring fabric markers to the character meals so she can get it signed. (in the past we did this with a plain pillowcase and DD loves it!)

DVC Trips:
Feb '14- Aulani dream trip cancelled due to snow (obviously Mother Nature is not a Disney fan); May '14- AKV Kidani, BCV; May '15- Pending lots of Pixie Dust... VGC, Aulani
DisneyAndRedSox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:34 AM   #14
DisneyAndRedSox
I still call it a WEDWay PeopleMover!

Another thing for girls- bring a My Little Pony or two, then do MLP at Once Upon a Toy and you don't have to waste space in the box on ponies.

You can go the same with a Mr Potato Head. Kohls has them on sale really cheap sometimes. Then you can fill the box and not waste space on the potato or eyes.

DVC Trips:
Feb '14- Aulani dream trip cancelled due to snow (obviously Mother Nature is not a Disney fan); May '14- AKV Kidani, BCV; May '15- Pending lots of Pixie Dust... VGC, Aulani
DisneyAndRedSox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 12:58 PM   #15
mom2twinz3
tag spectator

I second the Potato Head box! You can fit a LOT of cool Disney-themed pieces in that box if you buy a basic head for cheaper elsewhere!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: