Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2009, 09:01 AM   #1
Morgey24
Dreaming of a day on Castaway Cay

Fishing Equipment & Questions

Ok, I don't think I've seen this question before, so here goes:

1. Is it ok to take Fishing poles/gear, etc onboard (no knifes; catch & release only!)

2. Is there anywhere on Castaway Cay where you can fish? (thinking no, but this question was posed of me so I thought I would ask the Dis-ers)

3. Alternately, anyone travel on an Eastern 7 night itinerary with a fisherperson who can suggest an excursion (private or not) for some fishing?

Thanks!
Old 08-14-2009, 10:08 AM   #2
RIJim
Mouseketeer

too funny, I almost posted a similar question! I saw some pics of barracuda at castaway cay and wanted to bring my rod as they are my favorite light tackle fish. My guess is that Disney will not allow fishing on CC, for insurance purposes, I may be way off. I spend WAY to much time and $ fishing so I wont bother on this trip, I'll be swimming with my kiddies. good luck if you go!
RIJim is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-14-2009, 11:21 AM   #3
29apr00
Momma to a Princess and a little Prince!

there is a fishing excursion available on CC that i was looking into for my husband.

Castaway Cay Bottom Fishing
Activity Type: Adventure Sports, Nature Adventures
Activity Level: Moderate
Duration: 2.5-3 hours
Adult Price: $117 (ages 10 and up)
Child Price: $117 (ages 6-9)
Ages: 6 And Up
Make your way to Marges Barges, conveniently located just 100 yards from the ship, to begin your fishing experience in the beautiful turquoise waters of the Abaco Islands. Board your custom boat with up to 8 other enthusiasts and venture off-island.

Your Captain will take you to the best location on the day and set anchor for approximately 2.5 hours of bottom fishing. Bask in the sun with rod and reel in hand as you hope for a hook, line and sinker with any number of the exotic shallow-reef fish that flood the tropical region, including yellow tail, grouper, and snapper. Enjoy a complimentary beverage as you take in the sights of the island paradise of Castaway Cay in the distance.

Make your way back to the dock with plenty of time to enjoy the many other highlights of Disney's Castaway Cay.

Additional Information

Beverages (soft drinks and bottled water) are included.
Wheelchairs (collapsible or electric) are not permitted.
This tour is not recommended for Guests with limited mobility.
Fishing tackle and bait included.
Guests are asked to arrive 10 minutes before departure time to check-in at Marges Barges.
Location may vary depending on prevailing weather conditions.
Guests should note that if planning to take children on this excursion, the boat will be unable to return to the dock until the completion of the tour

29apr00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 12:22 PM   #4
denwol
Earning My Ears

To answer your first question: No - according to the DCL website you cannot even bring the rod and reel onto the ship. We checked.

We'd love to know if there is a way to do it, because we have time after our cruise in FL, and would like to fish then, but it doesn't look promising.....
denwol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:45 PM   #5
Morgey24

Quote:
Originally Posted by denwol View Post
To answer your first question: No - according to the DCL website you cannot even bring the rod and reel onto the ship. We checked.

We'd love to know if there is a way to do it, because we have time after our cruise in FL, and would like to fish then, but it doesn't look promising.....

Oh, bummer, I can't imagine my fisherman not bringing his own pole (but I didn't see that listed on the CC excursion. It says "bait & tackle")
Old 08-14-2009, 03:24 PM   #6
mitadoh
Disney World Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgey24 View Post
Oh, bummer, I can't imagine my fisherman not bringing his own pole (but I didn't see that listed on the CC excursion. It says "bait & tackle")
Tackle is an old school term referring to the rod and reel used for any type of fishing. Being an old school type of fisherman of sorts myself I can attest that the "loaner" equipment is never very good on the boats that I worked. But this is Disney so your fisherman may be very surprised. As for as me, I am not going to partake as I spent a many weekend in the Bahamas fishing while growing up in South Florida.

Mickey used to be her favorite person in the whole world.
mitadoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 04:26 PM   #7
29apr00

I'm by no means an expert, but when Dh and I were on our honeymoon in St Thomas, we did a fishing excursion. They supplied all the poles and other stuff and it was good enough for dh who is a VERY avid fisherman. Worked well enough for him to catch a 5' shark on it. I would hope that if Disney is promoting the tour, for $118 it will be better than cane poles and worms!

Old 08-14-2009, 05:04 PM   #8
Morgey24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29apr00 View Post
I would hope that if Disney is promoting the tour, for $118 it will be better than cane poles and worms!

Agreed! $118 seems like a lot to me to stick your pole in the waters of CC!
Old 08-16-2009, 03:12 PM   #9
29apr00

Dh didn't so much as bat an eye at the price, as he'll easily spend 2x that on a new pole. but he grumbles about $50 for CRT?!?!?!?!

Old 08-16-2009, 08:49 PM   #10
Morgey24

Quote:
Dh didn't so much as bat an eye at the price, as he'll easily spend 2x that on a new pole. but he grumbles about $50 for CRT?!?!?!?!

Yes, but DH will tell you that that new pole will last him the rest of his life... I can say that my Dad still has some fabulous Orvis poles he bought well over 40 years ago so on a per use basis they were probably a bargain!

(But I agree with your point -- DH's can justify just about any large purchases THEY want )
Old 08-16-2009, 11:09 PM   #11
JOCAmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
That sounds just like my husband.

That fishing excursion sounds like something my husband and son would like. I'll have to bring it up to them.
JOCAmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: