Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2009, 12:25 PM   #1
wickesy
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, you're always a day...closer to our next Disney trip
I will be opening a sack full of cards and fighting off the advances of lots of lovely ladies

Windy City, Smoky Mountains ~ Day 12 - An early morning visitor

Dad was up at 8:30 this morning and at 8:40 he called me downstairs as there was a bear walking past the cabin! I grabbed my video camera from the table and managed to get this video as he walked past the cabin opposite us and down over the hill out of sight.

We saw him again when we went out but he took one look at me and walked off into the trees before I could get a picture of him.

It was raining again this morning so we decided to cross another indoor item off the list and drove to “The World’s Largest As Seen On TV Store”, which basically sells all those gadgets you see on TV that never quite work the same when you get them home. We had a good look round and were tempted by a couple of things but came away empty-handed.

We made our way back towards Pigeon Forge and stopped off at Tanger Outlets where there was a Disney outlet (today’s Disney reference) but it wasn’t a patch on the ones in Orlando and again we came away with nothing. We then went next door to Ripley’s Old MacDonald’s Farm mini-golf where we played ‘The Udder Course’ and I went round in a 5 over par 44, with Dad beating me by one shot on 43.

Continued

I currently live in London until I have enough DVC points to stay at Animal Kingdom Villas every day of the year

Sep '92, Apr '07 - Contemporary Resort ~ Apr '08 - Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ Aug '08 - Grand Californian ~ Mar '09 - Saratoga Springs ~ Mar '10 - DLP ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
Trip Reports: WDW April '07 ~ Canada August '07 ~ WDW April '08 ~ SF & Disneyland August '08 ~ WDW March '09 ~ Smokies August '09 ~ DLP March '10 ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
wickesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:26 PM   #2
wickesy
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, you're always a day...closer to our next Disney trip
I will be opening a sack full of cards and fighting off the advances of lots of lovely ladies

From the mini-golf we carried on back towards Gatlinburg, stopping off to take a photo of the new Titanic exhibition that is being built. As you can see the museum is going to be in the shape of the Titanic and will be similar to the other Titanic exhibitions around the country.

Next stop off was the Mountain Valley winery where we tasted a few of the wines (only two sips for me) and bought a bottle each of Mountain Valley Peach, Mountain Valley Blush and Mountain Valley Cabernet Sauvignon - all three for $37.26.

From the winery we came back to Gatlinburg and went up the Space Needle, which is a 407 foot tower with a 360 degree view of the town.

Once we were back on the ground we wandered up to another complex of shops we hadn’t been to before where we admired the scenery

And then stopped off in a shop where I saw three bear figurines that I liked the look of and as I couldn’t decide which one to get I bought all three.

We then got back to the cabin just after 3:00 where we had a short break and Dad did another load of washing before going out for something to eat at around 5:30. The dining establishment for tonight was Bennett’s Pit Bar-B-Que, a restaurant just off the main Parkway in Gatlinburg where Dad had a combo of pulled pork, brisket and sausage and I had the Hickory Smoked Sausage, both with barbecue beans and fries and we had a root beer each. The total including tip and after 10% discount was $40.

We were back in the cabin by 6:30 where the rest of the evening was spent sitting about, Dad did a final load of washing and we were in bed at the usual time ready for our final whole day in the Smokies tomorrow.

Day 13

I currently live in London until I have enough DVC points to stay at Animal Kingdom Villas every day of the year

Sep '92, Apr '07 - Contemporary Resort ~ Apr '08 - Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ Aug '08 - Grand Californian ~ Mar '09 - Saratoga Springs ~ Mar '10 - DLP ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
Trip Reports: WDW April '07 ~ Canada August '07 ~ WDW April '08 ~ SF & Disneyland August '08 ~ WDW March '09 ~ Smokies August '09 ~ DLP March '10 ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise

Last edited by wickesy; 08-14-2009 at 12:41 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-13-2009, 01:33 PM   #3
irongirlof12
Am I the only one who loves Quorn Sausages?
I would love to be at Ghiradelli's ice cream parlour with a massive choc sundae

love those cute bear ornaments.

great views from the top! bit scary tho

fab video of the bear, must have been really hard to get as they are quite shy
Old 08-13-2009, 04:04 PM   #4
tennisfan
Was told off for sliding down the banister at the SL
South Africa or California for me
Popped to the Boots

DISboards Moderator

Love the bear ornaments. Fab views

Trips:
DLRP - Hotel Cheyenne, October, 1994, DLRP - Hotel New York, October, 1998, DLRP - Hotel New York, June, 1999, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, October, 1999, DLRP - Hotel New York, October, 2000, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, October, 2001, Walt Disney Studios preview, February, 2002, DLRP - Hotel Cheyenne, August, 2002, New York City, Easter 2004, DLRP - Hotel New York, August, 2004, DLRP - Day trip, November, 2004, DLRP - Day trip, September, 2005, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, Easter 2007, DLRP - Kyriad, June 2007 DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, June 2009 DLRP - Day trip, November 2009 New York City, February 2010 DLRP - Disneyland Hotel, June 2010 DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, September 2010 Stratosphere Hotel, Las Vegas, October 2010 DLRP - Day trip, January 2011, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, August 2011, DLRP - Day trip, January 2012, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, June 2012, DLRP - Santa Fe, November 2012,
tennisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 04:05 AM   #5
Pegasus928
DIS Veteran

Great video of the bear. Dhey normally come up to the cabins or was this one particularly brave.
And you do like your heights and views don't you. It convinces me that you should try Skycoaster in Old Town next time you are in Florida. You can stay up there and admire the views all you want as you have to pull the rip cord yourself to let yourself down (albeit straight down 125 foot, screaming like a girl with arms and legs flailing wildly - or was that just me )

Another thing I have noticed is how cheap the meals have been. That must have been a welcome change from a Disney holiday - and just goes to show how pricey things must be at WDW for our American friends that visit.
Pegasus928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:23 AM   #6
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Cute bears
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:19 AM   #7
wickesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegasus928 View Post
Great video of the bear. Dhey normally come up to the cabins or was this one particularly brave.
From what I've read it's quite common. It wasn't the last bear sighting either...stay tuned.

Quote:
And you do like your heights and views don't you. It convinces me that you should try Skycoaster in Old Town next time you are in Florida. You can stay up there and admire the views all you want as you have to pull the rip cord yourself to let yourself down (albeit straight down 125 foot, screaming like a girl with arms and legs flailing wildly - or was that just me )
Just had a look on YouTube - I don't think so. If I did do it I think I would need to take a change of underwear.

Quote:
Another thing I have noticed is how cheap the meals have been. That must have been a welcome change from a Disney holiday - and just goes to show how pricey things must be at WDW for our American friends that visit.
I'm don't really like table service meals so we stuck mainly to the buffet restaurants that had coupons which helped to keep costs down but yes it was a nice change.

Old 08-14-2009, 12:47 PM   #8
Pinky166
a little on the OCD side
very impulsive, which doesn’t bode well for our credit cards!
They don't call me "Clever Claire" for nothing!

Lovely photos.

That bear was very brave....either that or hungry!

Sept 2000 - I-Drive, Sept 2002 - Kissimmee, Sept 2003 - AKL, Sept/Oct 2006 - Univ PBR, June 2008 - DLRP, Hotel NY, Dec 2008 - Univ HRH, WL & YC, Sept 2009 - OKW, 4n Wonder & Poly, June 2010 - BLT, Nov 2010 - DLRP, Sequoia Lodge, Jan 2011 - Univ RPR, Dream Maiden Voyage & AKV, Sept 2011 - 14n WBTA & BLT, Oct 2012 - Paris & DLRP, June 2013 - 7n Med Cruise, Oct 2013 - Univ RPR, SSR, & Fantasy, May 2014 - 12n EBTA, Sept 2014 - 14n WBTA, May 2015 - 15n EBTA, Sept 2015 - West Coast Road trip & Disneyland
Pinky166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:13 PM   #9
Snowy-girls
Did you speak to a 'human being'?
As you can see, all I have is a load of gobble-de-gook writing

Love the vid of the bear .Shame about the rain again-but at least you have other stuff to do .I love pulled pork-i am assuming it's the same taste as in WDW .
I love the bear figurines-especially the last one.x.

Sweet Kitty Dreams La-La,Smudge,Sam+Max.Together Again.11:3:94-20:5:08.x.x.29:4:93-17:3:09.x.x.29:4:93-21:7:10.x.x.11:3:94-2:3:12.x.x.

NOV90Sheraton Anaheim CaliforniaSEP93Quality Inn I-DriveSEP95Holiday Inn I-DriveSEP97Castle Inn+Suites AnaheimSEP98-Best Western AnaheimAUG03Quality Inn I-DriveApr/May04Holiday Inn I-DriveApr09Embassy Suites I-Drive SouthApr11Quality Inn Plaza+Pop.Aug13Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,CSR+AKL With Free QSDP.AUG15Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,RPR+21 nights at OKW With Free DDP.
Snowy-girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 06:08 AM   #10
wickesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy-girls View Post
Love the vid of the bear .Shame about the rain again-but at least you have other stuff to do .I love pulled pork-i am assuming it's the same taste as in WDW .
I love the bear figurines-especially the last one.x.
The pulled pork was great and yes just the same as WDW.

I like the last one as well. The one in the hammock was by the door as we walked in the shop and I thought "Oh, that's cute", then I saw the ones on the slide and thought the bear on his back looked really cute, then I saw the ones with the canoe and laughed at the thought of these three bears carrying their canoe down to the water. I couldn't decide which one I liked best so I totted up the cost for all 3 and it was only $44 so I thought I might as well have them all - I wouldn't mind but I only went into the shop with Dad because it was starting to rain.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:25 AM   #11
Goofysmate
Isn't fussed where she is, as long as it's a bit warmer than here

Another good day and i liked the bears carrying the canoe
Sept 2006 Weston Hills (Villa)
Nov 2008 Regal Palms (Town House)
Goofysmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 11:51 AM   #12
Lizzybear
You fool! You gave cheese to a lactose intolerant volcano god!
I'm the main holiday initiator/planner which is how I like it!

Wow it seems Ripley's has quite the little empire in TN Even though Gatlinburg is a city it really seems to have that cosy small town America vibe all nestled in the forest like that Love the bear ornaments, they're the sort of thing Steve would no doubt roll his eyes at if i'd bought them but secretly like!
DLP Day trip 1992, School trip 1997, Day trip 2000, Magic Circus 2003, Cheyenne 2006, Sequoia Lodge 2007 and Santa Fe 2010. WDW Ramada Resort I-Drive 2002, Sheraton Studio City 2005, POFQ 2007 and CSR 2009. DLR Fairfield Inn 2008.
Lizzybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:36 PM   #13
wickesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzybear View Post
Wow it seems Ripley's has quite the little empire in TN Even though Gatlinburg is a city it really seems to have that cosy small town America vibe all nestled in the forest like that Love the bear ornaments, they're the sort of thing Steve would no doubt roll his eyes at if i'd bought them but secretly like!
They do - as well as the golf course and the aquarium there's a Believe It Or Not Museum, Haunted Adventure, Moving Theatre, Mirror Maze and Guiness World Records Museum. So just a few things to keep people busy then.

Old 08-21-2009, 04:18 PM   #14
arieljasmine
Who says these things pass you by.....

Wow, the bear video is fantastic - from no bears to two in as many days!

Another fun looking mini golf course and the stores sounded good too.

And I adore the bear figurines, so cute, sure I would have NEEDED to buy them all too!

Laur's xx
May 2001 DLRP Santa Fe/September 2002 WDW All Star Music/December 2003 DLRP Sequoia Lodge/September 2004 WDW Wyndham Orlando/Pop Century/May 2005 WDW Hard Rock Hotel/Coronado Springs/Disney Wonder/April 2006 WDW Pop Century/ September 2006 WDW Hard Rock Hotel/Animal Kingdom Lodge/September 2007 WDW Wyndham Orlando/Hard Rock Hotel/Polynesian/Pop Century
arieljasmine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 03:55 AM   #15
wickesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by arieljasmine View Post
Wow, the bear video is fantastic - from no bears to two in as many days!
I know - I think that morning is my favourite moment of the trip, it was just so unexpected to see a bear there and we were so lucky that Dad just happened to be in the right place at the right time.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: