Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2009, 01:54 PM   #1
wickesy
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, you're always a day...closer to our next Disney trip
I will be opening a sack full of cards and fighting off the advances of lots of lovely ladies

Windy City, Smoky Mountains ~ Day 10 - Ripley’s Aquarium and more

Thanks to a combination of waking up to torrential rain and pure laziness neither of us were up until 9:00 this morning. By 9:45 there was no sign of the rain stopping and so we decided to go out and do all the indoor things we wanted to do and see how things went from there.

First stop was Ripley’s Aquarium of the Smokies in Gatlinburg. We had a good look round there and I got loads of photos.

Continued

I currently live in London until I have enough DVC points to stay at Animal Kingdom Villas every day of the year

Sep '92, Apr '07 - Contemporary Resort ~ Apr '08 - Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ Aug '08 - Grand Californian ~ Mar '09 - Saratoga Springs ~ Mar '10 - DLP ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
Trip Reports: WDW April '07 ~ Canada August '07 ~ WDW April '08 ~ SF & Disneyland August '08 ~ WDW March '09 ~ Smokies August '09 ~ DLP March '10 ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
wickesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:55 PM   #2
wickesy
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, you're always a day...closer to our next Disney trip
I will be opening a sack full of cards and fighting off the advances of lots of lovely ladies

Continued

I currently live in London until I have enough DVC points to stay at Animal Kingdom Villas every day of the year

Sep '92, Apr '07 - Contemporary Resort ~ Apr '08 - Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ Aug '08 - Grand Californian ~ Mar '09 - Saratoga Springs ~ Mar '10 - DLP ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
Trip Reports: WDW April '07 ~ Canada August '07 ~ WDW April '08 ~ SF & Disneyland August '08 ~ WDW March '09 ~ Smokies August '09 ~ DLP March '10 ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-12-2009, 01:56 PM   #3
wickesy

This is one of the better aquariums we have been to and definitely worth a visit if you are ever in the area. We left the aquarium around 11:45 and made our way over to the Dinosaur Walk Museum in Pigeon Forge. Although it had still been raining when we left the aquarium by the time we got to Pigeon Forge it had stopped and it stayed dry for the rest of the day.

Especially for Snowy-girls DDs here’s loads of photos of the dinosaur museum

Continued

Old 08-12-2009, 01:57 PM   #4
wickesy

Continued

Old 08-12-2009, 01:58 PM   #5
wickesy

Next stop on the itinerary was the Apple Barn between Pigeon Forge and Sevierville where we had a wander round and bought some cinnamon apple crisps, caramel apple crisps, a fridge magnet and a half gallon of apple cider.

Continued

Old 08-12-2009, 01:59 PM   #6
wickesy

From there we went back to the Incredible Christmas Place where we bought some tree decorations, a snowman statue and some Yankee Candles to burn at Christmas. We then went down the road to the Christmas outlet where we bought a Smoky Mountains tree decoration that we had seen when we were there the other day.

This is one we bought at Dollywood that I missed the other day

We then drove back to Gatlinburg and made our way round the Arts and Community trail stopping off at various shops along the way. The trail is an eight mile loop of local artists and craftsmen who have shops selling the stuff they make.

After driving around the trail we parked up back at the aquarium and Dad bought a wooden carving he had seen in a shop earlier in the week.

We then went along to a restaurant called Shoney’s for something to eat. In Shoney’s you can either order off the menu and help yourself to the salad, soup and vegetable buffet or go for their nightly hot buffet, which is what we did. We started off with a plate of salad each then battered shrimp, prawns and battered cod and finished off with hot fudge cake for me and fudge sundae for Dad. The whole lot, including tip came to $40 which we didn’t think was bad.

After eating we went across the road to the kitchen shop where we got some onion blossom and horseradish dip, raspberry honey and mustard dip and chocolate and peanut butter dip. By now it was still only 7:00 and so I decided to go round the Roaring Fork Nature trail which is a one-way road that leads through the forest and criss-crosses a mountain stream. There are various places to stop off at along the way but we decided to go through non-stop tonight and come back again before we left.

The trail comes out near to the cabin so we were back by 8:00 where we relaxed as usual and were in bed for 10:00. Plans for tomorrow were to go to Cades Cove, another auto tour.

Day 11

Last edited by wickesy; 08-12-2009 at 04:26 PM.
Old 08-12-2009, 02:07 PM   #7
Pegasus928
DIS Veteran

Wow - what a full and fantastic day that was. There was more dinosaurs there than in T-Rex

Thanks for taking the time to put so many pics up - I know how time consuming it can be and it really is appreciated.
Pegasus928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:41 PM   #8
tennisfan
Was told off for sliding down the banister at the SL
South Africa or California for me
Popped to the Boots

DISboards Moderator

Another busy but great day. Loving the photos

Trips:
DLRP - Hotel Cheyenne, October, 1994, DLRP - Hotel New York, October, 1998, DLRP - Hotel New York, June, 1999, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, October, 1999, DLRP - Hotel New York, October, 2000, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, October, 2001, Walt Disney Studios preview, February, 2002, DLRP - Hotel Cheyenne, August, 2002, New York City, Easter 2004, DLRP - Hotel New York, August, 2004, DLRP - Day trip, November, 2004, DLRP - Day trip, September, 2005, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, Easter 2007, DLRP - Kyriad, June 2007 DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, June 2009 DLRP - Day trip, November 2009 New York City, February 2010 DLRP - Disneyland Hotel, June 2010 DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, September 2010 Stratosphere Hotel, Las Vegas, October 2010 DLRP - Day trip, January 2011, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, August 2011, DLRP - Day trip, January 2012, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, June 2012, DLRP - Santa Fe, November 2012,
tennisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 04:53 PM   #9
suzycute
DIS Veteran

Sounds like you had a another really interesting day - love your photos from the aquarium!
Old 08-13-2009, 08:13 AM   #10
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

Some great photos.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:05 AM   #11
Snowy-girls
Did you speak to a 'human being'?
As you can see, all I have is a load of gobble-de-gook writing

Great day .Pics are fab-i love Iguana's,the jellyfish pics are very good .
The girls said thank you very much for the dinosaur pictures-they loved looking at them.
You have a Disney reference-the 'Roaring Forks Nature Trial', Wilderness Lodge has a counter service called Roaring Forks-will that do .x.

Sweet Kitty Dreams La-La,Smudge,Sam+Max.Together Again.11:3:94-20:5:08.x.x.29:4:93-17:3:09.x.x.29:4:93-21:7:10.x.x.11:3:94-2:3:12.x.x.

NOV90Sheraton Anaheim CaliforniaSEP93Quality Inn I-DriveSEP95Holiday Inn I-DriveSEP97Castle Inn+Suites AnaheimSEP98-Best Western AnaheimAUG03Quality Inn I-DriveApr/May04Holiday Inn I-DriveApr09Embassy Suites I-Drive SouthApr11Quality Inn Plaza+Pop.Aug13Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,CSR+AKL With Free QSDP.AUG15Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,RPR+21 nights at OKW With Free DDP.
Snowy-girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:15 PM   #12
wickesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy-girls View Post
You have a Disney reference-the 'Roaring Forks Nature Trial', Wilderness Lodge has a counter service called Roaring Forks-will that do .x.
Perfect, thanks Michelle.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:19 PM   #13
irongirlof12
Am I the only one who loves Quorn Sausages?
I would love to be at Ghiradelli's ice cream parlour with a massive choc sundae

i love the sea turtle!

however, I have to take issue with you ...I now have another 'holiday destination' to add to my ever growing list of places to go visit.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:43 PM   #14
wickesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by irongirlof12 View Post
however, I have to take issue with you ...I now have another 'holiday destination' to add to my ever growing list of places to go visit.
Ooops, sorry Andrea Make sure you put it near the top of the list though, you won't regret it.

Old 08-15-2009, 07:02 PM   #15
SusanEllen
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy-girls View Post
You beat me to it, Michelle! I thought of Roaring Forks, too, but I'm a couple of days behind you reading David's report. Good job.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: