Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2002, 05:20 PM   #1
disneyfanforever
DIS Veteran

Question How long does it take to get from San Diego to Disneyland?

We are going to be staying with relatives for a week in San Diego. We were wondering how long it would take to get to Disneyland from there. I have heard anywhere from an hour to half a day. If we do go to Disneyland, is it possible to just drive up there in the morning or is traffic so bad that we need to stay somewhere in Anaheim.

Also, we are big Disney fanatics and have been to Disney World several times. My mom says she thinks we would be disappointed with Disneyland. What do you guys think? Should we try Knotts Berry Farm or something else instead? My kids are 5 and 1.

Thanks!
disneyfanforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 05:29 PM   #2
Mary Jo
Techarita
Loves the star on the mountain

DISboards Moderator

<font color=navy>The normal drive is around 1.5-2 hours (I just came home yesterday from San Diego, and it took us almost 2 hours, and I live further away than Disneyland. There are occasions, however, where the traffic can take up to 3-4 hours - holidays, special events like air shows, etc. -- but, figure on a couple of hours.

If you have never been to Disneyland, then I would say definitely go. Folks who live out here tend to take the magic for granted. We're used to the park, so when we see WDW, we're blown away....

Having said that, I think the Disneyland Park, which compares to the Magic Kingdom at WDW, is a better all-round park than MK, and is a wonderful park for you to take your children. Just expect the lands to be closer together, and castle to be smaller, etc.

Knotts is fun, too - but Disneyland rules.
Mary Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-01-2002, 06:45 PM   #3
honeymom
I just tried to connect the dots
I keep reading these posts so I might as well get in on the fun, too

Re:Disneyland vs. WDW - WDW is more of an overall resort. However, Disneyland is very much like the Magic Kingdom. So much so that if it weren't for the size of the castle, you probably wouldn't know the difference. Your kids are the right age, so enjoy it.
honeymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 10:12 AM   #4
BobF58
Mouseketeer

You'll love DL (it's the same, but differrent), and don't forget there's CA and DD too! Consider driving up in the morning, but getting a room on S. Harbor Blvd for that night so you don't have to drive back. Or, stay another day!
BobF58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2002, 01:59 PM   #5
tinagirl
DIS Veteran

How long it takes really depends on where you are in San Diego. I have a friend that goes to school at UCSD, and it takes her 20 minutes to get to the freeway, since she lives in the boonies of San Diego. The best way to find out is to know the address you will be starting from and mapquest it. (http://www.mapquest.com) Type in your California Address as your starting position, and then your destination, and it'll pump out detailed directions (keep in mind that this is only the route with the least mileage...it doesn't take rush hour into consideration, so follow your instincts). It will also pump out an approximate driving time based upon the speed limit. (we usually shave off a few minutes )

Anywhoo,
Here is Disneyland's address :
700 W Ball Rd
Anaheim, CA
92802-1843 US

Hope that helps
~Tina
tinagirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: