Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2009, 06:45 PM   #1
mariezp
DIS Veteran

The Peterson Family WDW Invasion 2009 PTR

All it took were a few suggestions and I decided I would go ahead and get started on a little pre-trip report for our very first trip to WDW which will be coming up in December. Just what I really need... another good reason to avoid all the other things I should be doing... and like you should be doing... but oh what the heck! Here we go!

Guess I should start with a little back ground.... how far should we go back? I was born in Lake Worth, Texas at a tiny little hospital that is no longer there. NO! NO! NO! NOT that far back! Okay.... fast forward.... almost 40 years....
My Disney madness was unknowingly about to begin in connection with a trip my family took to Schenectady, NY in 2000. Short version... we traveled via Amtrak to pick up an RV, blizzard hits, we end up delayed 24 hours which is not good since we have limited time to drive back to Texas, almost flip the new RV as it slides through the snow into a ditch, manage to SOMEHOW make it home in one piece, write letter to Amtrak expressing disappointment in our trip, FABULOUS customer service guarantee, we are issued a complete credit for travel via Amtrak, we decide to head as far away from the east coast as possible, and PRESTO, our very first Disneyland trip becomes a realization.
Unfortunately, that was WAY back before I had any idea that there were boards where so many Disney lovers shared their stories so I don't have a trip report to share. (As a matter of fact it took me several years to get around to writing a first trip report but once I got started it sure was a lot of fun!) But let me just say that that very first trip was the start of something AMAZING! I don't think I ever imagined that I would love a place so much but Disneyland did have that MAGIC and I am now a fan for life!
So that first trip was the start of many. I also have my DH to thank. In 2005 he decided he wanted to get his pilot's license. Not being one to do things half way he also decided to buy a airplane. At first, I thought about fighting the idea and then I had this brilliant idea! Why not make this work for me too? So, we discussed it an reached an important compromise. For as long as he has a plane I get a guaranteed annual family trip to Disneyland! Not bad, huh? As of now, we have currently made it to Disneyland 8 times. We have had so many wonderful times! Tons of cherished memories. You can check out my past reports if you would like:
Nov. 9-23, 2008
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2021554

Sept. 3-13, 2007
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.....php?t=1588869

Dec. 3-14, 2006
http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...-part-1-a.html

Guess this would be as good a time as any to insert a photo of my family from our last trip to Disneyland so you can see just who is involved in this here trip report. Here's the whole crazy bunch!

So, now that I have gotten all that out of the way I suppose I should quit reminiscing about the past and get to the more pressing matters... the upcoming trip! Every year almost as soon as we get back from our guaranteed annual family trip to Disneyland I start thinking about the next trip. This year was no exception. Somewhere along the way, before I had anything definite in mind, my DS-18 made the suggestion that we give WDW a try. He has several friends that live in Florida and thought it would be fun to meet up with them so.... me being the sweet and considerate mother that I am... sometime in January I mentioned the idea to the rest of the family and the decision was made. We are going to Disneyworld! After several rounds of changing dates we finally decided on the dates of December 2-16, 2009.

As any good planner I started delving into all things WDW. I bought the Unofficial Guide to WDW and the Passporter. (which I still have not finished readin) I started checking out all the WDW postings on the boards and eventually joined TGM. I started asking questions, pricing airline tickets, researching houses and getting rental car rates. Things really started taking shape in March.

My first big venture was to purchase our AA airline tickets. After watching fares rise and fall and then toying around with different departure days I found what I thought to be the best deal. For many years we always left on Saturday but I found that by leaving on Wednesday the airfare was about $70 cheaper per seat. Worked for me! (At the time it was a-ok with DH too. Of course, now he is wondering why in the world we would leave in the middle of the week and then have him go back to work for one day before the weekend. Oh well.) I booked our seats and was extremely happy with our total round trip airfare price of $876.80 for the four of us. Our last year airfare to DL was $1284.00 so I felt like I was getting a huge bargain!
Lesson learned:
If your schedule is flexible check to see if a weekday departure will help save a few dollars.

Next on my list... lodging. Staying on site was simply out of our price range. There were also several other deciding factors for staying off site to consider so I began looking around at Windsor Hills because it came so highly recommended. (Gotta tell you I was really impressed with their website. After I filled out the lodging request form I received something close to 50 offers in about 10 minutes.) From there I branched out looking into full sized rental houses and then pool homes. One of the first places that really caught my eye was a Homeaway property named the "Peterson Paradise". I showed the family the website and even though I shopped around for awhile longer to make sure I couldn't find an even better deal the rest of the family was adamant. They loved my first choice and were all hooked. So, I made a few inquiries, exchanged a few messages and made our deposit. Looks like this is our Homeaway from home for 2 weeks. We are even on the calendar!
http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p219739

So that's got my report started. Gotta run for now but I will post more on the continuing saga again as soon as I have a chance.

Last edited by mariezp; 08-11-2009 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:20 PM   #2
Sherry E
Willing victim of the Disney Snowball Effect...
Okay so after a coffee and lunch break I am back!

DISboards Moderator

I subscribed to this one too! You can't escape me, Marie!! I may not always have time to post anything substantial, but at least I can keep reading along, and I will just bop back and forth between this Pre-TR and your TR on the DLR TR section!

Pumpkins, Peppermint, Pastels and...Club 33!!! - (A new chapter begins... Many photos and wacky tales, coming soon to a Trip Report thread near you!)
And for some non-holiday seaside fun in the sun ~~ 2012 Catalina Island/Avalon Trip Report - My Solo Day Trip, in Photos (LOTS of Photos!)- 7/21/12 & Highlights from 2013 & 2014
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-11-2009, 12:40 PM   #3
mariezp
DIS Veteran

Yeah! Sherry has arrived. I certainly don't want to escape you. I need to thank you! You may be my only reader. Here's hoping I get to learn some useful stuff that you can use whenever you get the chance to take your first trip to WDW.

Old 08-11-2009, 12:46 PM   #4
mariezp
DIS Veteran

Next on my agenda... a rental car.
I did some shopping around for several weeks and decided to grab something now while I found a good deal because those rental car rates are CRAZY! I made a couple of reservations knowing I could cancel if I found a better deal later. I went with Dollar since they were cheaper and in terminal. They also appear to have good reviews in the Unofficial Guide. I went ahead and booked a minivan and a Jeep but after consulting with DH he confirmed what I pretty much already knew... there was no way he was going to drive a minivan... so I canceled that one, even though it could have saved us $80. When I mentioned that we would be using Dollar I could almost see him cringing as if they are not worthy of taking his money. ARRRGGGH! He asked what type of car and when I told him a Jeep Grand Cherokee he says it just will not be big enough. So, HE gets on the phone to Enterprise. HE is a pilot so HE is going to get us this fabulous rate. He checks the rate on a Chevy Trailblazer. My rate was $690 and his is $782 but he likes Enterprise so he books the deal. Not a lot of difference BUT I thought my mission was to find the best deal. Frankly, I don't care which car company takes my money if they have good ratings. After comparing car sizes I really think his choice is going to be very close to the same size as mine. As it turns out Enterprise did not even end up giving him a discount for being a pilot and I had to go back and change the arrival time because they did not have it correct. I still continued to check for better deals. Lo and behold, in May Dollar came up with a full size SUV for $592 so now I have that one booked. With an almost $200 savings even DH agreed it didn't really matter who we rented from..
Lesson learned:
Keep checking back, do lots of comparing and use those codes for better car rental rates.

Last edited by mariezp; 08-11-2009 at 03:43 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:50 PM   #5
mariezp
DIS Veteran

Next big detail to take care of.... tickets.
My original plan was that we would be in Florida for 2 weeks but would only be in the park for 10 days simply because 10 days is the longest park hopper ticket available before jumping up to an AP. We usually get an AP in DL but the ones in WDW are really expense! Since I have no way of knowing if we will be back next year I quickly decided that we could make do with 10 days. Worked out fine. It will give us a few days to rest a bit and take in a few sights around town.
Some of the things I thought we might consider were Wonderworks & their dinner show, the Titanic exhibit and the Holy Land Experience. DH requested that we go to see the ocean one day. Of all the things we could possibly do, DS's request is that we go bowling one day. We gotta run over and eat at Bubba Gump's. We got spoiled by the Cold Stone Creamery just outside our hotel last year so I even went so far as to locate several which will make DS quite happy. So I think we can find something to do. A few days out of the park was starting to sound pretty good. So now the plan was rest and relaxation on our 2 arrival and departure days, 10 days in the park and 3 days fun outside the park. Simple enough, right?
As July rolled around I started hearing rumors of ticket prices going up. So I decide to go ahead and get our tickets. Generally, I take full charge of our entire agenda and don't rely on much input from the family. It is actually kinda fun surprising them. So far I have done well on every trip. For some unknown reason I decided to share a glimpse into my plans with my DS. When I started going over the itinerary he said "You mean we are not going to the park all 13 days?!" So I did some rethinking with my plans, dropped some of the outside of the park ideas and decided we will go ahead and be in the parks for 12 days with only one day off. Thanks son! Since someone else is excited I will get to add 2 more days in the park! Looks like I have some more planning to do. Anyway, really glad I mentioned it to him before I bought the tickets.
So I got busy doing more comparison shopping. I was just about set to get the tickets from UT when I discovered that they did not sell 2 day tickets. Thankfully, I found Ticketmania and they offered 2 day tickets which worked out great and saved us a few dollars. I was just in time because I believe the tickets went up in the next few days.
So now I have got the airline tickets, the house is lined up, the car is reserved and I have our park tickets. What else could there be? Bet I can think up something!
Lesson learned:
Asking someone in my family what their opinion is may not be a bad thing. Worked well for me this time. I get 2 extra days in the park!

Old 08-12-2009, 01:07 PM   #6
Pikester
DIS Veteran

Got to get in line so I can get on the Peterson Family Walt Disney World Vacation train. ALL ABOARD!!!!

Plus, there is no way that I will ever write my own trip report so I'll just read yours.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:27 PM   #7
mariezp
DIS Veteran

Hi Pikester! Glad you dropped by! Now I can imagine maybe no PRE trip report since this is something new to me too but don't tell me you won't get a real trip report done!? I gotta hear what I missed when we were there at the same time! It's getting closer!

Old 08-13-2009, 12:14 AM   #8
LOVEMY3KIDDOS
DIS Veteran

Yay! Another December trip planner! We will be there at the same time! Excited to see what your other plans are! Looks good so far!

Check out my etsy shop: WallScraps for handmade personalized Disney autograph books, countdowns and scrapbooks!
Old 08-13-2009, 12:02 PM   #9
mariezp
DIS Veteran

Hi Erin! Thanks for popping in. After looking around there are quite a few of us heading to WDW in December. I noticed that you and I will be arriving on the same day! You have a great pre-trip report going yourself. I am going to have to follow along to see what surprises you have in store.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:49 PM   #10
MadilynnsMomma
...first star to the right, and straight on til morning...

Subbing I'll be back to catch up later! YAY another December trip to follow!
Girls Trip Round Two - September 2012 - Pop Century Resort / Introducing Oli to the Magic - February 2015 - Pop Century Resort

Old 08-14-2009, 12:09 AM   #11
mariezp
DIS Veteran

Oh boy! Another reader. Hi MadilynnsMomma! We are all gonna have a great time in December, don't you think?! Checked out your report. Looks like you are finding ways to keep yourself busy until your trip gets here. Won't be much longer now!

Well, I guess this means I am going to have to get busy and add more to my report! Here's hoping... maybe tomorrow.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:09 PM   #12
SilverL
My DH thinks he's Tarzan and I'm Jane. Go figure!

I rearranged our dates so we were flying out on a Tuesday and home on a Wednesday to save $ on airfare! It's very true!

Looking forward to the rest of your PTR!

Shawna (Me): Matthew (DH): (both in early 20's) | 8/01, 1/03, 9/07: Off Site w/family | 9/15/09-9/23/09: Pop Century Disneymoon w/DH!
[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/iz6m6b514zwo2i71.png[/img]
Read my Pre-Trip Report : DISNEYMOON: "Honey, you didn't list underwear!"
Old 08-14-2009, 07:19 PM   #13
mariezp
DIS Veteran

Welcome, SilverL! Thanks for letting me know you dropped in. I am hoping I can get something else posted soon but wouldn't you know it the real world keeps interrupting me!
Isn't it great to when you get to save a few dollars here and there!? More to spend when you actually hit the parks!

Old 08-15-2009, 05:56 PM   #14
mariezp
DIS Veteran

Well, I still don't have enough time to add much more to my update... BUT I did want to pop in and mention that we watched "Hook" today so now I am in such a Disney mood. I have been really considering doing the Pirates and Pals Fireworks Voyage. After watching the movie I am now totally convinced! You just new know what will inspire your trip planning!

Old 08-16-2009, 11:42 AM   #15
mariezp
DIS Veteran

Okay, let's see if I can get this report going again....

If you have taken a look at any of my last reports you know that I love to take pictures. I am not a great photographer by any means but I still love to take pictures of everything when I am at Disneyland. I have a real feeling that it is going to be just as bad, if not worse at WDW. There are going to be so many new and totally different things! So many little details!
Over the years I have gone through several cameras trying to find one that really knocked my socks off with it's performance. No small task considering the user poses to be the real challenge for any camera! Last year's camera did ok but as our trip gets closer I found myself talking myself into a new camera all over again. The final straw came when I was trying to take a decent photo of our dog and came up without any luck. She's not the most cooperative subject either but it was just the nudge I needed to push me over the edge so I made the decision to buy myself a new camera for my birthday. I am now a proud new owner of a Canon Powershot SD880. So far the results have been pretty impressive, although it's gonna take some getting used to all the settings. (right, Sherry?) Can't wait to break lose with it in WDW!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: