Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2009, 09:37 AM   #1
RadioNate
DIS Veteran

Walk Around Lens

does anyone have a recommendation for a good Canon walk around lens.

I do have the 28-135 IS and I don't like it. I've had it looked at and the camera store here thinks it is ok but I can get sharper shots from my $100 p&s. It is also heavy compared to some of the newer lenses.

I also need something wider than the 28.

I'm currently back on the 18-55 kit lens but I have the old non-is one so it isn't good either.

thoughts? is my only option the 18-200 IS? what about the 17-85 IS?

L glass is completely out of the current price range.

I'm using an XTi and I'm not ready (or skilled enough) to justify upgrading the body.

I'm just not at all happy with the shots I've been getting lately.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:10 AM   #2
KarenAylwood
It wouldn't be the holidays without Stove Top!
The dancing banana gets me every time...
I do have a secret squeel of joy
"Humps" has grown on me like a fungus

I have the Canon XSi and own the 18-200mm lens. It's a great walk around lens and I've sold two of my friends on it as well after they played around with it. People will tell you the quality is just middle of the road but I've gotten some great shots with it. Not L quality but pretty good quality. I used it throughout my entire level 2 photography class and a few people (including the teacher) commented on the sharpness of a lot of my shots.

However I'm currently looking at replacing/supplementing it with the 24-70 f/2.8L or 24-105 f/4L but you said L series wasn't in the cards.

I think for non-L series, with a great range from wide angle to telephoto- the 18-200mm is a great choice.
Register to remove

Old 08-12-2009, 11:52 AM   #3
ssanders79
NO FLASH photography means just that!

I would agree I am looking to get the 18-200mm myself for a walk around lens.

ssanders79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:02 PM   #4
boBQuincy
I am not carrying three pods
There's something about the smell of the chemicals that just shouts "Photography!"

There aren't many options in the Canon lineup. We use a 24-85 that gives good results, it is one of Canon's middle range lenses with real USM. You might find a newer 18-55 for a good deal on eBay or whatever, they are quite a step up from the old 18-55.

Canon's 17-85 wins "awards" for the most CA in a modern lens but the images appear to be better than the tests indicate.

"Take the big pill, and go back to the SLR you know. Take the small micro 4/3 pill and you will never look at SLRs the same way again." a G3 and now a GX7. Photos at: suzieandbob.com

Our model monorail site: http://monorail.suzieandbob.com/

boBQuincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:08 PM   #5
trickiwoo
Talk Disney To Me!

I use a Sigma 28-300mm as my walk around lens. For normal day to day shooting, I never need anything wider than 28mm or closer than 300mm. Plus it's one of my lighter lenses! I haven't had any problems at with sharpness and I do 98% of my shooting handheld! I even get compliments all the time on how sharp my photos are! I do not have any type of stabilization on this lens. But if that's something you absolutely need, Tamron makes a 28-300 lens that is VC. I've never used this lens myself, but I've heard amazing things about it!

However, you mentioned that you do need something wider than a 28mm. I'd go with the 18-200.

I do find that I don't often need to switch back and forth regularly between 18mm and 300mm. But I do often need to switch back and forth regularly between 28mm and 300mm or 50mm and 300mm. So that's why I went with a 28-300. Then when I do need something wider than 28mm, I use a Sigma 10-20mm.
trickiwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:59 PM   #6
RadioNate
DIS Veteran

I think I lost my original reply.

Thank you for all the responses.

I am not opposed to other brands like Sigma or Tamron if I can get something good for reasonable (like $500ish - I just got a new air conditioner yesterday!)

I really think something is off with my 18-135 but the shop here said it was ok.

My neighbor has a Nikon D90 and if we take photos side by side her's are always noticeably better. I know the XTi is 3-4 years old but still!
Old 08-12-2009, 03:00 PM   #7
KarenAylwood

I just replied on another thread about the Canon 18-200mm because someone asked for some example pictures, etc. I commented on weight, IS, picture quality, etc. For the price I think it's the best you can get for versatility and quality.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread....2251797&page=2
Old 08-12-2009, 03:02 PM   #8
cpbjgc
Earned My Ears
We cannot lose the kitchen
Who knew I had no pictures of Frontierland?

I like my Sigma 17-70

I have a Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4.5 DC Macro which is always on my Rebel XTi. You can find a review here.

I realize this isn't as long as your current lens, which you might find problematic. For myself, I like shooting at the wide-end with a 2.8 aperture for low light. It's sharp and has nice IQ generally.

Here are some pics with this lens:

cpbjgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:06 PM   #9
annnewjerz
If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense.

I know pretty much nothing about the quality of Canon lenses, but I do have the 18-200 for my Nikon and it's a great all-purpose lens. I have a little bit of a love-hate relationship with it. It's very convenient, pretty light and saves me a lot of trouble, but on the other hand I have to stop it down a bit to really get it as sharp as possible (which is still a little soft compared to other lenses stopped down).

I would think that Canon's would be comparable, so you might want to give that one a look. Not sure what Canon's price is, but you can usually find some pretty good deals on previously owned lenses on KEH.com.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:40 PM   #10
Capt. Barbosa
DIS Veteran

Ever consider renting a lens? I've done this on a couple of trips, I get better glass than I could ever afford and its a great way of trying a lens before buying. That and if its only a lens I'm going to use once or twice a year why buy one. I rented an Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM for this trip to see if I like the wider angle, on my last trip I rented an Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM .

First of all,returning you to shore was never part of our agreement. Second, you are not a pirate, so the Pirate's Code does not apply. And third, the Pirate's Code is more of a set of what you'd call 'guidelines' than actual rules. Welcome aboard the Black Pearl.
Capt. Barbosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:40 PM   #11
trickiwoo
Talk Disney To Me!

I didn't know this, but I just now saw it advertised on this board! But Sigma has an 18-250mm with anti-shake compensation. Might be worth checking out!
trickiwoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:45 PM   #12
KarenAylwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Barbosa View Post
Ever consider renting a lens? I've done this on a couple of trips, I get better glass than I could ever afford and its a great way of trying a lens before buying. That and if its only a lens I'm going to use once or twice a year why buy one. I rented an Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM for this trip to see if I like the wider angle, on my last trip I rented an Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM .
How'd you like the 24-105mm f/4L?? I'm looking at renting both that one and the 24-70 f/2.8L to see which I like better before buying. That's what I'm looking at as my next walkaround lens.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:30 PM   #13
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Anyone know about the Tamron 18-270 VC? I'm looking to upgrade and have been considering this one for my own "walking around" lens.
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 05:15 PM   #14
RadioNate
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Barbosa View Post
It might be something to try just to see what I like. We live in Orlando so it wouldn't be really one-off usage for theme parks. I wonder if our local place rents lenses. They are pretty snobby to non-pros but you never know. Even my pro friends hate shopping there.

There is a guy on our local craigslist selling the 18-55IS kit lens cheap so I may get that as a stop gap solution for the wide end until I can decide what I really want. My 18-55 kit is old and non-IS so the newer one would be a step up for the price.
Old 08-12-2009, 05:25 PM   #15
boBQuincy
I am not carrying three pods
There's something about the smell of the chemicals that just shouts "Photography!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by annnewjerz View Post
I know pretty much nothing about the quality of Canon lenses, but I do have the 18-200 for my Nikon and it's a great all-purpose lens.
Canon's 18-200 is pretty much comparable to the others, fair to good in some areas and fair to blah in others. The MTF curves have some very sharp dips in them, just in different places than the Nikon. For a "one lens fits all" these ultra-wide range zooms are great but if we look for flaws they are not hard to find. A lot of it depends on our expectations.

"Take the big pill, and go back to the SLR you know. Take the small micro 4/3 pill and you will never look at SLRs the same way again." a G3 and now a GX7. Photos at: suzieandbob.com

Our model monorail site: http://monorail.suzieandbob.com/

boBQuincy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: