Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2009, 07:19 AM   #1
pbthompson
Mouseketeer

My Disney trip is causing me sleepless nights

I leave next Sunday and already the nightmares have begun. I was up last night at 3:15am because I dreamed I forgot my plane tickets and the whole trip went downhill from there (got to the hotel they didn't have my ressie, I lost the park ticket, I forgot my money). I am in a constant state of anxiety. Which is why I am turning to you my fellow friends to assure me everything will be fine.

It will be just me and my kids (12 and 14) again. We went in 2006 and had a blast, I am actually more prepared this time (made my lists, will start packing today, have my Ridemax itinerary etc.) and I scheduled free time so we won't be rushed. All my ADRs are confirmed and I think we are set...yet the anxiety...
pbthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 07:25 AM   #2
bleeps
DIS Veteran

Whoa.

Going to WDW is supposed to be fun.

Do what you need to do to control your anxieties (make a packing list and check things off as you pack them, make extra copies of airline tickets, lay out everything for your wallet, have a back-up credit card with you if you can, etc.) and relax. You will have a wonderful time.

A perfect trip is one on which everyone is relaxed, enjoys each other's company, and rolls with the punches. There are almost always some glitches along the way, but it's how you react to them that makes or breaks the vacation.
bleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-08-2009, 07:26 AM   #3
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

I have given up wondering why...
but, I have found that

each new trip outshines the last one.

Enjoy the magic!
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 07:34 AM   #4
mpetti
DIS Veteran

Red face

Take it easy and relax. You are going to WDW and you will have a great time. Enjoy!!

Maryann
Old 08-08-2009, 07:38 AM   #5
pbthompson
Mouseketeer

See this is exactly what I need. Thank you. Normally I am not like this. I have alot of other stuff going on in my life (work is super busy, my brother moved in with me and as several medical issues etc.) so I am really looking forward to the trip.

I don't know why I had that nightmare last night. I have been on lots of trips before and never had any major problems, I usually roll with everything that comes up??

I will be ready and we will have fun. My new mantra.
pbthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 07:52 AM   #6
Tinks1984
We're having a mini party!
I couldn't believe how many there was in the bag!

Awww...I hope you manage to calm your nerves! As others have said, preparing for a trip can be quite stressful, but I try not to let it bother me too much. I mean, after all, we're heading to the 'happiest place on earth', so I always try to remember that!

And you'll not forget the main things you need to take, and I always try to think, most little things I do forget will still be available at WDW, even if they're a few dollars more than I'd pay for them at home. Still, if I need them, I know I can get them....

Hope you feel more relaxed and begin to enjoy the build-up to your trip - it'll be wonderful! Enjoy
Tinks1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:02 AM   #7
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

I just went in late July and I was the same way as you before I went.

I had so much anxiety and I even had a nightmare (non-Disney but a nightmare nonetheless) about two days before I went. I *never* had bad dreams. I knew with was anxiety.

For me, it is just a mental thing. When I go on a Disney trip, I am the "planner" and I have all these "papers."

I had the boarding passes, the coupon for the car parking at the airport, the spreadsheet with the ADRs and confirmation numbers on them, the paper that had the lockbox code for our townhouse rental, the rental car agreement and confirmation number, the Disney birthday certificate so we could get fastpasses on my DD's birthday, and I'm sure there was more.

On top of that I get real wigged out because my son is an asthmatic and has allergies and his arsenal of medications could take up it's own bag and I just thought "how am I ever going to get out of the house."

So I know how you're feeling. Our trip worked out fine and everything came together the day of travel just fine. The only thing I forgot was to get ANY cash before I left. Fortunately everyone takes credit cards!!

This stress is one reason I haven't taken my kids down alone. I always feel like I just need one other adult with me. My parents went this with me. They don't help me with the pre-trip stuff but it's just nice to know that I have another adult there.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:22 AM   #8
rosiejo
Wonky Chick
Look out for wedding crashing DISers!
Blimey you guys were hyper last night

You're not alone - I start getting nightmares that we've arrived at Disney without tickets/clothes/itinerary etc about a month before each and every trip. I like to keep lists and get my cases packed at least three weeks before so that I know I have everything
Old 08-08-2009, 08:26 AM   #9
topmonkeygirl
DIS Veteran

As long as you don't forget the major things like plane tickets, disney tickets, your ADR's list, money, and clothes everything else is gettable in dinsey. Everyone gets there and has forgotten something. Relax, have fun planning, and have a great trip.

It really is a "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow".
topmonkeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:38 AM   #10
disgram
DIS Veteran

I understand your anxiety and am going through it myself right now. I am the planner, the ADR maker, and list maker for me and my dd and dgks. No help from my dd at all. Have a feeling that I will be the one packing for my grandkids. She is already talking of bringing their clothes here for me! I put everything in ziploc bags. She doesn't want to take the time!

I have lost my Disney papers and reservation papers and then couldn't find the reservation for the airlines! It was all here but thank goodness, my dh had put all the info on his computer! So now I have a folder with it all there but it makes me feel alot better to know that he has it all on his computer!
disgram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:36 AM   #11
DisneyWisher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I have given up wondering why...
but, I have found that

each new trip outshines the last one.

Enjoy the magic!
Great thinking! So many people go expecting the "perfect" vacation and how threads have we read where it seems like the smallest thing upset their vacation.

OP just make sure you put all your documents in a certain spot and to tell yourself they are here (my mom is someone that puts things away and then can't remember where she places them). For me I put everything either in my car's glovebox or the side pocket of my suitcase. But for me, I am close enough that we drive. One year I did forget my MVMCP but since I bought them through the website it was no problem for Guest Services to reissue. them. Don't worry about that its just you and your 2 kids, I started taking my girls alone when they were 13, 11, and 3. We always had a great time as will you.
DisneyWisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:36 AM   #12
Scot-n-Michelle
Mouseketeer

We leave next Sat. too - i had the dream last night that we were stuck in the airport the whole trip - somehow our ressies were lost in the system!! Usually each trip I have the dream that we forget our luggage!! I keep telling myself that everything will work out!!

January 2013 DISNEYLAND!
May 2011 - All Star Music
August 2009 - Pop Century
May 2008 - All Star Movies
March 2007 - Downtown Disney
March 2006 - offsite trip
Scot-n-Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:18 PM   #13
BelleBway
Spreading Sparkly Purple Pixie Dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by topmonkeygirl View Post
As long as you don't forget the major things like plane tickets, disney tickets, your ADR's list, money, and clothes everything else is gettable in dinsey. Everyone gets there and has forgotten something. Relax, have fun planning, and have a great trip.
Even clothes are gettable at WDW... and I should know because on my first trip, my parents left my suitcase behind in Jacksonville. So I had a whole new Disney wardrobe!

OP: Being on a board with obsessive planners is both a curse and a blessing- it means we get to make awesome plans, but I've found it also leads to extra anxiety as well... that maybe we're still missing something or maybe things won't go as planned. The best thing to do is to take a deep breath, and remind yourself that no matter what happens, the trip will be awesome because it's awesome to be at WDW.

Also, I've found it helpful to make a checklist of things that you want to be sure to bring with you or you want to make sure to do before you leave. Things that might not be obvious- like charging the batteries in my backup camera or packing my glasses (I normally wear contacts), etc. I add to it every time I think of something. Then I cross off each item when I pack it. I usually have the list in plain sight on the days before my trip, so I can't help but to see it and be reminded of what still needs to be done.
WDW: 1976, 1985, 1986: Offsite | 1990: Disney Inn/ Big Red Boat | 1992: CBR | 1995: Dixie Landings | 1996: Poly | 1997: Offsite | Apr 1998: BW | July 1998: ASMu | Dec 1998: BC/ Disney Magic | June 1999: ASMu/ Contemporary Tower | Dec 1999: WL/ Contemporary Tower | 2000: CBR/ POFQ/ CSR | 2003: Contemporary Tower | 2009: AKL with the nieces| 2011: Disney Dream/ GF with the nieces | 2013: Poly with the nieces | 2014: Pop

DLP: 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000
TDR: 1993, 2002, 2005, 2012
HKDL: 2007, 2010, 2013
DL: a bunch of times I can't remember, 2000, 2010, 2011
BelleBway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 02:41 PM   #14
Ktharee
Love the Mouse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleBway View Post
Even clothes are gettable at WDW... and I should know because on my first trip, my parents left my suitcase behind in Jacksonville. So I had a whole new Disney wardrobe!

OP: Being on a board with obsessive planners is both a curse and a blessing- it means we get to make awesome plans, but I've found it also leads to extra anxiety as well... that maybe we're still missing something or maybe things won't go as planned. The best thing to do is to take a deep breath, and remind yourself that no matter what happens, the trip will be awesome because it's awesome to be at WDW.

Also, I've found it helpful to make a checklist of things that you want to be sure to bring with you or you want to make sure to do before you leave. Things that might not be obvious- like charging the batteries in my backup camera or packing my glasses (I normally wear contacts), etc. I add to it every time I think of something. Then I cross off each item when I pack it. I usually have the list in plain sight on the days before my trip, so I can't help but to see it and be reminded of what still needs to be done.
I totally agree! It is possible to OVER plan and become so rigid, you are no longer enjoying yourself. You won't be able to do everything anyway, so just know in your head that you'll be going back again and whatever doesn't get seen this time, will the next. Relax. If it helps put PLANE TICKETS, PARK TICKETS, RESERVATION #'s on a sticky and keep it hanging on your front door. Tell yourself you can only remove it as you are leaving the house for your trip. At that point, you'll read the note, remind yourself of those things and I am sure you will find they are all packed in your carry-on.

1978 Offsite • 1983 Contemporary • 1990 Caribbean Beach • 1992 Offsite • 1999 Caribbean Beach
2001 • Contemporary • 2002 Disneyland • 2005 Disneyland • 2007 Port Orleans French Quarter • 2007 Disneyland • 2008 Polynesian • 2008 Disneyland
• 2009 Coronado Springs • 2010 Disneyland • 2010 MVMCP offsite

2009 Free Dining at Coronado Springs Trip Report

Ktharee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 03:00 PM   #15
CandleontheWater
Forever in love with Hathaway Browne

I think its natural to get nervous before a big event like a much anticipated family vacation, but trust me everything is going to be wonderful! I think I have forgotten just about every conceivable thing when leaving for a Disney vacation (including my park tickets, underwear, medication, my spending money AND ATM card) and I have managed to find a way around it, or a way to replace it in Orlando. All you need for a wonderful Disney vacation is YOU, so just don't forget yourself and you'll be just fine!
CandleontheWater is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: