Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland (California)
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 04:53 PM   #811
tinkermell
Th boards are going nuts!
Beware of the stalkers

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyprincessbelle View Post
Good morning divas!!

Melody, congrats on your meat winning!! Did you guys win a prize?
!
Yeah! He won $200.00!!! Not as much as some of these events you see, but this was the first one for this location, and it also was smaller than alot of the big bomb ones you see on television.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toocherie View Post
Yum_--do does he serve the brisket hot or cold? does he warm it back up? I gotta find a brisket .
Sorry for the confusion. He uses the ice chest as a method of keeping it hot. I guess we should call it a "hot chest." Last year Dave cooked some ahead of time, and then refrigerated them. We took them to a big family reunion get together for Christmas. We re-heated them in the oven, and they still turned out great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreamer View Post
What a lot of work that is! What's the brand of your local bbq sauce? We have a bristol farms that gets some unusual, smaller brands, maybe it's there.

LOL! I don't think so! THe only place Dave can buy it around here, is at one of our local carpet, funiture stores in Visalia. Apparently his wife works there, and they let him sell if from there of all things. The first time he went in to ask for it, they looked at him like he was loco or something. They finally found someone who knew about it, and he bought some. He had originally had tasted and bought some at a local BBQ cook off, so that is how he knew where to find it later.

I take it that when the meat is in the ice chest, there is no ice? That it is just keeping its heat?

Yes that is true!

Please ask him if he thinks this can be duplicated in the oven (like, in the winter).
For someone who doesn't have a slow barby or smoker this might be their best bet. It has to be cooked super slow. I know that Emeril Lagasse has a recipe for doing this. I will get back to you on this.

Hey, How are you feeling today???

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahbushka View Post
So guess where I am...he he he. Yup, work again. I have a double today, a double tomorrow and I am working 13 days in a row. Oh well. I am putting in for as much overtime as I can get for the next 4 weeks as I am hoping that dh will have a job by the end of september and even if he doesn't he will be starting school going tuesday and thursday nights as well as saturday mornings. I am trying to boost our savings as much as possible. Plus, I will have all the money I need in order to go on the Diva trip by next monday! I should find out this monday or tuesday if I get to go. Here's hoping!

Later ladies!

Sarah
Sarah,
Here is another hug, for one of our hardest working Divas.

I'm so glad that you have a DL trip planned soon. You deserve it big time!!

Last edited by tinkermell; 08-30-2009 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:57 PM   #812
tinkermell
Beware of the stalkers

Capri, I found something cute for you!!

Register to remove

Old 08-30-2009, 05:10 PM   #813
DangerMouse
Dangerously Addicted to Disneyland
I guess they saw me coming at full throttle and decided I meant business
I'm in a bit of an evil mood today

I always feel guilty about posting, because I am so horribly lost and not up to date with everyone and most definitely have missed out on the most recent additions to the group. I'm SORRY!

I wanted to wish everyone who is heading to DLR soon a GREAT visit! I'm missing it like crazy. It doesn't help that my dh plays visionsfantastic radio 24/7 on the computer.

So, I've been dreaming and scheming about a way to surprise my family with a WDW trip in January. I'd give it to the kids as their Christmas gift (we normally do one large family gift, which is normally a trip to DLR). Anyway, just in the beginning stages of daydreaming, really, but was curious of any of our DVC members could talk to me about the idea of renting points and how that all works. Since there are 5 in my family, and I don't want to be limited to ASM, I'm thinking a DVC property, might be the way to go??

Any thoughts or advice would be very much appreciated!

Love to all! Hope you all have a great Sunday.

DLR trips: 3/98 (Stovalls); 12/99 (Islander); 12/02 (DI); 12/03 (DI); 12/04 (Portofino); 4/05 (HoJo); 6/05 (GCH); 9/05 (HoJo); 12/05 (HoJo); 2/06 (DLH); 1/07 (HoJo); 11/07 (HoJo); 2/08 (HoJo); 4/08 (HoJo); 6/08 (Ramada Ltd.); 10/08 (PPH); 3/09 (HoJo & Club 33 Baybee!); 2/10 (HoJo); 12/11 (HoJo/DLH)
WDW Trips: 4/11 (SSR Villas) 1/13 (POR)
Old 08-30-2009, 05:10 PM   #814
disney-super-mom
I make a mean pot of Jazz Kitchen gumbo
BRING ME ANOTHER DIET

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkermell View Post
Capri, I found something cute for you!!

Oh my gosh, that is just adorable!!!

BIG HUGS GOODBYE TO YOU TOO!

(edited: I meant "GOODBYE".....not "GOOBYE" - hahahahaha. What a goof I made! LOL!)

Last edited by disney-super-mom; 08-30-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old 08-30-2009, 05:25 PM   #815
tinkermell
Beware of the stalkers

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I always feel guilty about posting, because I am so horribly lost and not up to date with everyone and most definitely have missed out on the most recent additions to the group. I'm SORRY!

I wanted to wish everyone who is heading to DLR soon a GREAT visit! I'm missing it like crazy. It doesn't help that my dh plays visionsfantastic radio 24/7 on the computer.

So, I've been dreaming and scheming about a way to surprise my family with a WDW trip in January. I'd give it to the kids as their Christmas gift (we normally do one large family gift, which is normally a trip to DLR). Anyway, just in the beginning stages of daydreaming, really, but was curious of any of our DVC members could talk to me about the idea of renting points and how that all works. Since there are 5 in my family, and I don't want to be limited to ASM, I'm thinking a DVC property, might be the way to go??

HI Callie!! Nice to see you!!

That is a wonderful idea! We did that for our kids in 2005!

If the points end up being too expensive to rent, the Port Orleans Riverside has rooms for 5 people. We stayed at the PO French Quarters, and we had breakfast at the Riverside one morning. It is a very beautiful resort too.

Have fun planning!!! I know I did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney-super-mom View Post
Oh my gosh, that is just adorable!!!

BIG HUGS GOOBYE TO YOU TOO!
Thanks!
Old 08-30-2009, 05:47 PM   #816
CaliforniaDreamer

DIS Veteran

Melody, thanks, that is the world's cutest get well card!

I am doing better today but the hard part is that I really don't feel that bad - but I've been ordered to stay home. Well, okay, I am a little tired.

So you have me totally intrigued on this bbq sauce now.

Does anyone know if other disney type boards have claimed colors as their "brand" the way disboards has lime green?
D23 Expo
Miss Sally's birthday party
Halloween party diva meet
Girl's trip in Feb

Words from Dawn: "i have a strong connection to the earth."
Old 08-30-2009, 06:50 PM   #817
lulubelle
I am Miss Klutz Woman
We could seriously have a Pirate Party in there!
As far as pants go, we were not allowed to wear them

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaDreamer View Post
Melody, thanks, that is the world's cutest get well card!

I am doing better today but the hard part is that I really don't feel that bad - but I've been ordered to stay home. Well, okay, I am a little tired.

So you have me totally intrigued on this bbq sauce now.

Does anyone know if other disney type boards have claimed colors as their "brand" the way disboards has lime green?
Donna, I hope you feel better real soon. And all the other Diva's with health ailments. Man oh man, too many of us have bad knees, backs, internal stuff going on. No more!

I love good BBQ sauce too, and am always up for trying a new brand. Especially Bristol Farm type brands, they have some really good stuff there (pricey, but it's to be expected). I used to peruse the Community Board (before it became so politically correct that no one discusses anything of interest anymore) and there's a poster called Papa Duece. I like his polls and posts, one time he said he only buys his BBQ sauce from a mail order place and swears it is the best stuff ever. So I PM'ed him and got the web address from him and ordered 3 bottles. I don't remember the name right now. I got a peach flavored one, a Kentucky red bourbon one and a "regular flavor" one. They were fairly spicy and thin. They were all good, but nothing to write home about. I think the fact that I can't even remember the name speaks for itself. So, good luck finding that special one and let me know if you do.

Congrats to your DH, Mel.It does seem like a lot of work. I cook 5 nights a week, but am pretty much a lazy-jones-bones and make most things from a prepared mix or use shortcuts or I "cheat" - like the other day I made fried chicken but served it with Reser's potato salad from Stater Brothers and coleslaw from KFC.

DH~You will forever be in my heart
Old 08-30-2009, 06:50 PM   #818
sahbushka
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommaU4 View Post
How do you do it?!?!?! It's nice you'll have the money for the trip though.
It's not tough work....it's just that I have to be there and be awake the whole time which is the hard part! I eat every 2 hours to try to help me stay awake and I drink lots of water...you are less likely to fall asleep if you have a full bladder! I am excited that the money aspect of the trip will be taken care of!

Quote:
Sarah,
Here is another hug, for one of our hardest working Divas.

I'm so glad that you have a DL trip planned soon. You deserve it big time!!
Thanks for that! I am really excited that my trip is so soon! I can't wait to spend that time with my family, especially my ds!

Hope you all are having a great day!

Sarah

Old 08-30-2009, 09:47 PM   #819
mommaU4

The one who started it - DIS ladies do DLR
Well, I never said I wasn't insane. I just don't want them thinking that

Quote:

So, I've been dreaming and scheming about a way to surprise my family with a WDW trip in January. I'd give it to the kids as their Christmas gift (we normally do one large family gift, which is normally a trip to DLR).
That is so awesome Callie!!!! I'm so glad you are even thinking about it. I remember talking to you about it once and you said you didn't think you could tackle it, but I know you can. Not only can you handle the planning, I know you will make it wonderful and magical for your family. What a wonderful surprise that would be for them!!!
Old 08-30-2009, 10:58 PM   #820
stacielee
Why do I go to Disneyland? BECAUSE I CAN!!

Quote:

Not sure if you'll see this, but check your Facebook inbox!!
Old 08-30-2009, 11:05 PM   #821
lulubelle
I am Miss Klutz Woman
We could seriously have a Pirate Party in there!
As far as pants go, we were not allowed to wear them

Quote:

I just wanted to say that we miss you Callie.
I hope you do plan a trip to the World. Just make sure you save enough dough to join us on the Ladies Trip.

DH~You will forever be in my heart
Old 08-30-2009, 11:22 PM   #822
sahbushka
DIS Veteran

Hey all...how's it going? I am still at work and I finished my book 5 hours before the end of my shift . I still have a little over 2 1/2 hours to go. Can you tell I'm bored? Ugh. At least I have another book I can bring tomorrow. Hopefully it will last me all 16 hours!

Sarah

Old 08-31-2009, 12:50 AM   #823
BillyFan
My white-trashiest chefy moment ever
I, for one have had a Billy Hill Buzz more once
And thanks so much for warming up the boyfriend for us

Quote:
HOwdy again ladies!

Well today was quite a day here.

Dave entered in a BBQ cook off. His first one ever! He loves to BBQ all kinds of stuff, and I love it, cuz it is one less thing for me to cook.

2 years ago, we took a trip to Texas for business reasons and pleasure. One of the things he really wanted to do was find one of those roadside BBQs that serve up brisket. Well we found one, and was sold on it. We came home and the first thing he did was try to find a brisket. They are not a hot commodity in California. We have tri-tip, but finding brisket is not easy. Finally found some at Smart and Final, which is like a small warehouse wholesale store. He read up all the he could on it, and the rest is history!

Anywhos, he entered his brisket that he has been perfecting, and he won first place for beef!! Woo hoo!! There were about 12 or so entrees in that catagory. So that was pretty cool. It was a fun event, but not something he'd want to do all the time. There were some guys there that had beef, chicken and pork all on the barbe! These are the ones that love to go to somewhere once month. Yikes.........that is quite a commitment.

Oh and I sewed up some aprons for us to wear. Really cute vintage style Route 66 logos all over it.

So that was my day. I'm tired and stickey!!! It was so hot here today, and to be around all of those big hot grills was torture! We were all melting.

I'm off to shower, (Isn't that nice of me), and to bed.

NIght....zzzzzzzzzzzzz
What fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toocherie View Post
That is SO awesome! I love watching all those BBQ cooking competitions on Food Network--and now I sorta know someone like that! (Well, at least I know his wife!)

Did you have to take your own grill or did they provide them? did he do a dry rub or a sauce? Does he cook it well or is it pink in the middle?

Details--we need details.

But, it can wait till tomorrow--nighty night!
I love those shows, too! I love how cooking is tne newest "sport"!

Quote:
Good morning Dawn!!

I want to ditto everything that you said. YOu say everything so perfectly, and so sweetly!! Thankyou Dawn!

So everyone read it all over again, and now it is from me too!!

Cheryl, I will tell you a little of Dave's method.

He puts a dry rub that we make up, on the briskets the day before so they have been sitting in it for at least 12 to 24 hours. He cooks them at a low temp, around 250 for around 12 to 14 hours depending on size and what temp is set. So for the contest he had to get them on the barby around midnight the night before. He didn't want to spend the night so his barby was hooked up to a post and then he locked it up! He went back again at 10:00 in the morning and then stayed with the rest of the players. The official start wasn't until 4:00pm, so at around 11:30 his first brisket was done. He then wraps them in heavy foil and puts them in an icechest wrapped in towels until serving time. This lets them rest and gather all the yummy juices. We have a favorite BBQ sauce that he buys locally, so he used that as his sauce to serve with. Someday, I want to try and copy it. I will bring you a bottle of this stuff in October.

Anyways, that is how he does it. Next week we are going Dave's Dad's 85th birthday party in Redlands, and we are making it for that too. This time he has to put in on the barby in time for us to leave Saturday morning. He will put it into the ice chest, and by the time we get there, it will be perfect to serve. Nice!
Thanks for the info on his method. I love brisket and am going to have to try to make some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney-super-mom View Post
Awwwww, thanks Melody!

We leave early tomorrow morning......CAN'T WAIT!

Oh, but I had a pre-trip nightmare last night. Anyone else ever get those? Well usually I'll dream about our plane crashing or losing one of the boys in Disneyland.....those two dreams always creep their way into my mind. But this time I dreamed that Luke (our six year old) fell off a high balcony at the HOJO because DH and I were in our room (the side with the king bed) of the kid suite, and the boys were in their room with the bunkbeds, and because we were in two seperate rooms, we didn't know that the boys were out on their balcony playing around, and then just as I go to check on them, I see them out on their balcony, Luke having climbed up on the railing, and then he falls......and we lose our baby forever. It was a HORRIBLE dream.

I just may put something heavy in front of their balcony door when we get there.
Oh my gosh, Capri! What a horrific dream! I usually just wake up super early panicing that I've forgotten to pack something, the weather is going to be bad, or something like that.
Have a great trip! I'll be thinking about you and all the fun you'll behaving with your family!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahbushka View Post
So guess where I am...he he he. Yup, work again. I have a double today, a double tomorrow and I am working 13 days in a row. Oh well. I am putting in for as much overtime as I can get for the next 4 weeks as I am hoping that dh will have a job by the end of september and even if he doesn't he will be starting school going tuesday and thursday nights as well as saturday mornings. I am trying to boost our savings as much as possible. Plus, I will have all the money I need in order to go on the Diva trip by next monday! I should find out this monday or tuesday if I get to go. Here's hoping!

Later ladies!

Sarah
I hope that it works out for you to be able to go on the next diva trip!

Old 08-31-2009, 01:00 AM   #824
Zoemakes5
Support me in my Disney mania
Still likes pennies more than quarters
Had to pop SOMETHING

Hi everyone! I'm hanging my head in shame that it's been so long since I've been on. I've been having massive computer problems and for some reason, DIS was abnormally affected.
Now that I'm done with the bar exam (and awaiting results until Nov. 20), and am back from my vacation, AND my 12 year old son was able to get my computer going again, I'm hoping to keep up better and post more often.
Kids start school tomorrow. My eldest heads off to high school, and I'm not quite sure how that happened. I now have three kids at three different schools, which is no fun!
Ethan's bday is 9/8 and the two of us are heading to DL to get him a pass. If anyone is free that evening, let me know. We'll be there probably around 4:30 or so.
Zoe and I took a quick trip with a friend to DL on Thursday. We did the cheapo bring dinner in the backpack thing. They got to do alot of things they had never done. It's so much fun to see "firsts" with people at DL!
Zoe got her hair cut short. I've still not been able to post pictures on here, but will have some on FB tomorrow.
I hope everyone is doing well (or better). For once, knock on wood, the family is fairly healthy. Had some migraine issues, but am much better now. For those still on vacation, I hope you enjoy the last days of summer.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:00 AM   #825
BillyFan
My white-trashiest chefy moment ever
I, for one have had a Billy Hill Buzz more once
And thanks so much for warming up the boyfriend for us

Hi girls!

Well, the Italian Festa was a huge success, and we are pooped! We sold about 675 sandwiches yesterday, which is 200 more than we did last year on Saturday. So we only had 125 pieces of chicken left to make sandwiches with today. Needless to say, we were totally sold out before 1:30 this afternoon. I was so happy that we sold so many sandwiches, because I was a little nervous that people wouldn't come out in the extreme heat. But I was also a little bummed that I didn't purchase more product, because we could have sold probably 300 more sandwiches today. The problem is that the out of pocket expenses before the event are huge, and last year I had 300 pieces of chicken that didn't sell. So it's really a guessing game as to how much to purchase.

BTW--I wish you all could have seen my little mom working in our booth all weekend. She is such a huge support to us, and I sure hope I have her energy when I'm her age!

Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: