Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2009, 11:46 AM   #1
tinatark
DIS Veteran

Breaking news - Helicopter and Small Plane crash in NYC - Hudson

Believed to be a tourist helicopter and small plane - supposedly one survivor has been pulled from the river.
tinatark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:48 AM   #2
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

WHAT??? What is going in with the Hudson??
Register to remove

Old 08-08-2009, 11:54 AM   #3
PrincessKsMom

OMG you should see me when I'm driving
I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question

Small plane and helicopter have crashed over the Hudson. Both have crashed into the river -- casualties but number unknown. Possibly six on the helicopter and 3-4 on the plane.

Stolen from SCHBR'sMom, who stole it from Wickey, who stole it from Kimmar.
LETS ALL DO THE BROONY \ 0 / TagGate 2011
PrincessKsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:59 AM   #4
DSNYGRL_JKS2006
Mouseketeer

I was JUST going to post a thread about this..I'm at work and literally staring at the news.. and then all of a sudden BREAKING NEWS :
http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/08/08/hud...ash/index.html

Hudson River crash scene
Watch Now: Live on CNN.com

Tourist helicopter, plane collide over Hudson RiverStory Highlights
NEW: Copter belonged to Liberty Helicopter Sightseeing Tours, official says

Helicopter had six people on board, New York police official says

updated 7 minutes agoNext Article in U.S.

NEW YORK (CNN) -- A helicopter with six people on board collided with a small plane over the Hudson River on Saturday, New York Deputy Police Commissioner Paul Browne told CNN.

The collision occurred over the water between New York and Hoboken, New Jersey. The helicopter belonged to Liberty Helicopter Sightseeing Tours, Browne said. iReport.com: Were you there? Send images
DSNYGRL_JKS2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:06 PM   #5
LoraJ

I need a vacation!
Wanted to bid on Bare Naked Ladies?!?! The Tag Fairy is Shocked!

So scary. That's about a mile from where I live.

LoraJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:09 PM   #6
DSNYGRL_JKS2006
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoraJ View Post
So scary. That's about a mile from where I live.

Oh really?! Do you hear or see anything or an abundance of cops/firefighters/coastguard?
Old 08-08-2009, 12:13 PM   #7
C.Ann
We'll remember when...
No time for green bananas
When the going gets tough, she gets the Palmolive!!
If I knew we were going to be graded here, I might try harder

That's so sad.. Hope everyone survives..

Seems I recall other accidents over the Hudson with sightseeing helicopters in the past.. Personally I would be scared to death to go up in a helicopter.. Just not my thing..
----------------------------------------

"I wrote your name in the sand,
but the waves washed it away.
I wrote your name in the sky,
but the wind blew it away.
So I wrote your name in my heart,
and thats where it will stay.."

"We won't be sad, we'll be glad
for all the life we've had
and we'll remember when...."
C.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:33 PM   #8
DSNYGRL_JKS2006
Mouseketeer

*UPDATED INFO AS OF 1:33PM EST*

Tourist helicopter, plane collide over Hudson RiverStory Highlights
NEW: Divers, Coast Guard boats search for survivors

NEW: Plane believed to have taken off from Teterboro Airport in New Jersey

Copter belonged to Liberty Helicopter Sightseeing Tours, official says

Helicopter had six people on board, New York police official says

updated 8 minutes agoNext Article in U.S.

NEW YORK (CNN) -- A helicopter believed to have six people on board collided with a small plane over the Hudson River on Saturday, New York Deputy Police Commissioner Paul Browne told CNN.

Rescue divers and Coast Guard boats were searching the water between New York City and Hoboken, New Jersey. The helicopter belonged to Liberty Helicopter Sightseeing Tours.

Arlene Salac, a spokeswoman for the Federal Aviation Administration, said the tour company had confirmed it was one of Liberty's helicopters.

The plane apparently left from Teterboro Airport in Teaneck, New Jersey. Salac said radar contact was lost with a small plane this morning, and that is the one the FAA believes crashed. iReport.com: Were you there? Send images

Ron Marsico, spokesman for the New York Port Authority, said a small plane landed at Teterboro to pick up one passenger late Saturday morning. The plane took off at 11:54 a.m., he said.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:11 PM   #9
tinatark
DIS Veteran

We did a helicopter tour with Liberty when we were in NYC last year. Their operation really seemed top knotch - very regulated. I was surprised at the number of small planes and helicopters along the Hudson - it is heavily traveled.

CA I remember a crash a few years ago - I think it was a corporate helicopter? There are many of them too, traveling from NJ, Long Island, airports etc. into Manhattan several times a day. We could have helicoptered to LaGuardia for almost the same price as our car service cost!
tinatark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:15 PM   #10
DSNYGRL_JKS2006
Mouseketeer

UPDATE AS OF 2:15PM EST!

GOOD NEWS! At least a sign of LIFE AND SURVIVAL! HERES THE INFO FROM CNN.COM

updated 21 minutes agoNext Article in U.S.

NEW YORK (CNN) -- One person was rescued from the Hudson River on Saturday after a tour helicopter collided with a small plane, the Coast Guard said.

First responders gather on a pier after a plane and helicopter collided Saturday over the Hudson River.

A helicopter believed to have six people on board collided with a plane over the river between Lower Manhattan and Hoboken, New Jersey, New York Deputy Police Commissioner Paul Browne told CNN.

Rescue divers and Coast Guard boats were searching the water. The helicopter belonged to Liberty Helicopter Sightseeing Tours.

Arlene Salac, a spokeswoman for the Federal Aviation Administration, said the tour company Liberty had confirmed the helicoper was one of its own.

The plane apparently left from Teterboro Airport in Teaneck, New Jersey. Salac said radar contact was lost with a small plane this morning, and that is the one the FAA believes crashed. iReport.com: Were you there? Send images

Ron Marsico, spokesman for the New York Port Authority, said a small plane landed at Teterboro to pick up one passenger late Saturday morning. The plane took off at 11:54 a.m., he said.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:29 PM   #11
LoraJ

I need a vacation!
Wanted to bid on Bare Naked Ladies?!?! The Tag Fairy is Shocked!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSNYGRL_JKS2006 View Post
Oh really?! Do you hear or see anything or an abundance of cops/firefighters/coastguard?
I haven't heard anything. We went out to get food and an ambulance was heading towards Hoboken going the wrong way on a 1 way. it was pretty scary. if they were heading to the crash scene I found it very unnecessary to endanger people's lives when I am sure there are enough ambulances in Hoboken and NYC already. And I am sure they will serve a useful purpose there, but I do not think it was urgent enough to do the maneuver they did.

I remember driving home from work after the plane landed in the Hudson, there was a huge huge huge line of ambulances from just about everywhere in Jersey lined up. It was nice to see everyone band together to help out.

LoraJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 01:57 PM   #12
DSNYGRL_JKS2006
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoraJ View Post
I haven't heard anything. We went out to get food and an ambulance was heading towards Hoboken going the wrong way on a 1 way. it was pretty scary. if they were heading to the crash scene I found it very unnecessary to endanger people's lives when I am sure there are enough ambulances in Hoboken and NYC already. And I am sure they will serve a useful purpose there, but I do not think it was urgent enough to do the maneuver they did.

I remember driving home from work after the plane landed in the Hudson, there was a huge huge huge line of ambulances from just about everywhere in Jersey lined up. It was nice to see everyone band together to help out.
Exactly! My boyfriend is a firefighter and drives the fire-engines and even ladder truck to scenes and I don't remember the last time he went down the wrong side of the road, no matter how bad the call was.. the only time I remember him doing that was no the way to a big fire but they went around STOPPED traffic, crossed over briefly into the other lane and went RIGHT back into the right side of traffic.

NOW even this wouldn't be considered safe either--say it was a HUGE jet-liner that went down with a 135 people on board.. or something--they I know and understand they would need more emergency services.. esp. if there are surivors etc needed to be attended to.. but with a SMALL plane with 3 people and a helicpoter of 6 people you dont need to rush outside ambulances when the FDNY HAS so many at the scene.. but thats insane to see it go down WRONG side of the road.. only when traffic is STOPPED or road is blocked should they do that.. next thing you know we could have seen on CNN breaking news is.. "ambulance hits car head on!"
Old 08-08-2009, 02:04 PM   #13
LisaNJ25
DIS Veteran
I paid $300 back in 1992. I had the big Jersey girl hair and all

Teterboro seems to be one of those jinxed airports to leave from.

o 2001 - Port Orleans Riverside
o 2001 - Disneyland
o 2002 - Caribbean Beach/Wilderness Lodge
o 2007 - Port Orleans Riverside
o 2008 - Pop Century
o 2010 - Port Orleans Riverside
o 2012 - Windsor Hills
o 2013 - Pop Century
LisaNJ25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 02:34 PM   #14
DSNYGRL_JKS2006
Mouseketeer

UPDATE AS OF 3:32PM EST

some bad news
they are thinking majority are dead..

Chopper, small plane crash into Hudson River
NYC officials: At least one person dead in collision/Fatal Air Crash Over Hudson River

Chip East / Reuters
New York City Fire Department officials say there appear to have been fatalities in the crash of a tour helicopter and a small airplane over the Hudson RIver. One person has been rescued.
View related photos

BREAKING NEWS

updated 41 minutes ago
NEW YORK - A small plane carrying three people collided with a tour helicopter carrying about a half-dozen people over the Hudson River on Saturday, sending debris into the river and onto the New Jersey waterfront. New York City officials said at least one person was dead. Earlier reports had said one person had been rescued.

The accident happened just after noon between Manhattan and Hoboken, N.J., on a clear clear summer day.

The plane, a Piper PA-32, took off from Teterboro Airport in New Jersey, and the helicopter was a Eurocopter AS 350 owned by Liberty Tours, a sightseeing and charter
Old 08-08-2009, 02:42 PM   #15
LisaNJ25
DIS Veteran
I paid $300 back in 1992. I had the big Jersey girl hair and all

looks like there was a child on board also :

NEW YORK (AP) A tour helicopter carrying five Italian tourists collided with a small plane Saturday over the Hudson River, and authorities believed all nine people aboard were killed.
Advertisement

The accident, which Mayor Michael Bloomberg called "not survivable," scattered debris into the river and onto the Hoboken, N.J., waterfront. It happened just after noon between Manhattan and Hoboken on a crystal clear summer day.

Two bodies were recovered in the water, one floating free and one in the wreckage. Other bodies have been spotted in the debris. The crash victims included five Italian tourists and a pilot on the helicopter and the three people on the plane, including a child, Bloomberg said.

"This is not going to have a happy ending," Bloomberg said. He said he thought it fair to say "this has changed from a rescue to a recovery mission."

The plane, a Piper PA-32, took off from Teterboro Airport in New Jersey, and the helicopter was a Eurocopter AS 350 owned by Liberty Tours, a sightseeing and charter company, the Federal Aviation Administration said.

The plane was headed to Ocean City, N.J., FAA spokesman Jim Peters said. The helicopter had just taken off from a heliport on Manhattan's West side.

People who saw the crash and its aftermath described the two aircraft colliding not far from the Hoboken shoreline, and said the impact sheared off the plane's wing.

"There was a loud pop, almost like a car backfire," said Buzz Nahas, who saw the crash from Hoboken. "The helicopter dropped like a rock."

Katie Tanski, of Hoboken, heard the noise of the collision, looked up and saw chaos in the air.

"We saw the helicopter propellers fly all over," she said. Some pieces of the wreckage fell on land, sending Tanski and others scurrying for cover.

Seven months ago, the same river was the scene of a spectacular aircraft accident that resulted in no loss of life. In January, a US Airways flight taking off from LaGuardia Airport slammed into a flock of birds and lost power in both engines. The plane crash-landed in the Hudson River, and all 155 people on board were pulled to safety.

A person who answered the phone at a Liberty Tours office declined to comment on the accident, but said the company would be releasing a statement. The company runs sightseeing excursions around the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island and Manhattan at costs ranging from $130 to about $1,000.

Two years ago, a Liberty helicopter fell 500 feet from the sky during a sightseeing trip. The pilot was credited with safely landing the chopper in the Hudson and helping evacuate her seven passengers.

In 1997, a rotor on one of its sightseeing helicopters clipped a Manhattan building, forcing an emergency landing. No one was hurt.

o 2001 - Port Orleans Riverside
o 2001 - Disneyland
o 2002 - Caribbean Beach/Wilderness Lodge
o 2007 - Port Orleans Riverside
o 2008 - Pop Century
o 2010 - Port Orleans Riverside
o 2012 - Windsor Hills
o 2013 - Pop Century
LisaNJ25 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: