Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2009, 06:07 PM   #1
belle&sebastiansmom
DIS Veteran

Does Your Kindergarten Child Ride The Bus???

Does your kindergartner or young elementary child ride the bus to school?

After witnessing the chaos that is the drop off and pick up line, it may be safer and easier for my 5 year to ride the bus.

But, I'm majorly scared and nervous for her to ride!!

Put my fears to rest, or convince me not to let her until she's older.

Thanks!!!
Old 08-07-2009, 06:29 PM   #2
quentina
The bridge has been built and crossed
Old cups are just that.......old cups

No, none of my children have taken the bus. To me, it is just easier to drive them to school then deal with the waiting at the bus stop. Too be honest, I feel it takes less of my time.

I work FT however, someone is always home with my smaller kids so, they always get dropped off and picked up.

My 12 year old is off to middle school this year. He is taking the bus the 1st day only...just incase there is an emergency and he needs to take at some time (so he knows where to go). My kids do not want to take the bus and prefer to be driven.

I am not a fan of school buses. I have no reason for this and know that there are tons of great people who drive them....I just prefer to have my kids with me whenever possible.
quentina is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-07-2009, 06:30 PM   #3
Kae
DIS Veteran

Both of mine did, it was the one thing they looked forward to. It was all they talked about before kindergarten.

Kae
Oct 1999-POFQ May 1996-AS Music May 1994-Travel Lodge DTD Dec 1971-Contemporary
DisneyLand-March 2006
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:32 PM   #4
DisneyBlonde
Popcorn and a Cold Beer..doesn't get any better than this!

Kindergarteners at our school had a seperate bus than the other kids...but no, my son didn't take the bus, he was driven to school.

DisneyBlonde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:35 PM   #5
beattyfamily
DIS Cast Member
Has Oodles of Poodles
And the Tag Fairy wants to hug them all!!

Yep, both my girls took/take the bus.

I think every mother of a 5 year old goes through the fears of putting their little one on the bus and I did too. I cried as the bus drove away.

But my kids love it. They feel 'grown up'. They get to socialize. IMHO, it's part of the school experience.

However, I would not hesitate to drive them if there was a reason to like if there was trouble on the bus or if my child had anxiety on the bus.
beattyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:37 PM   #6
ajk912
Dum..dum...dum...we are in the Twilight Zone
Yup, I generally don't sweat the gas
Frenzied free for all!!

I haven't decided yet. School starts Sept 8 here. In the past I have always just walked my kids to school and picked them up in the cafeteria (I have to sign them out first) for the first month or so of school, and then when the weather starts to cool off they ride the bus. Either way, they get home about the same time..within about 5 minutes or so. School lets out at 3:40 here, and if we walk we may be home at 3:44 or so and the bus drops off at 3:48 (we are the second stop).

I am terrified my K will forget which bus to get on on whatever. BUT, with her being the second stop, I will know INSTANTLY if there is a problem so I could call the school. My 3rd and 5th graders will be on the bus, too, and they both really want to ride the bus to see their friends. I hate to just walk ONE kid to school. I wish admin at the kids' school wasn't such a bunch of turds..and to see if my older kids could walk with my K to the bus. They would never allow that. And I wouldn't feel comfortable doing what I have in the past..switching over mid year..because that's fine with the big kids, they can find the bus no big deal..but a 5 year old? Oh, and she REALLY wants to ride the bus. She has been wanting to ride the big kid bus since she was 3, silly kid! But, the bus stop mess is a mess in the morning..waiting with a zillion kids and me feeling like the only chaperone. Ugh.

But like you..the pick up/drop off line is a MESS. And then we have to be walking across traffic for a few minutes. It's kind of stressful there for a minute. No crossing guards here, the state of VA supposedly requires safety guards OR transportation for all kids..so they do transportation for all kids here..even if you live right across the street from the school. Silly, I know.

Anyway..talking out loud..haven't decided yet.
ajk912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:42 PM   #7
mum4jenn
My dd is the love of my life!!
Sometimes I get the FRITO BANDITO jingle stuck in my head and I have to sing it all day!!!

Our system has elementary and middle/high ride different buses. Also the younger kids sit up front. THe buses also drop off and pick up direvtly in front of that child's house and will not leave a child in the sfternoon if they do not see a car in the driveway.

Our Dd rode some but it was always so hot here she would be soaking wet each day and just wiped out from the heat. Since I work at the schools I just started staying until school got out and took her home with me.
mum4jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:04 PM   #8
vettechick99
Why do I open these threads?
Car Snob
Oh snap, I'm Bree!!
my mom used to call me "gagootz"

It depends on who she is going to be riding with. I teach school and I would not want my daughter on the bus with some of the kids I see everyday. But if you live in a nice neighborhood and she will be riding with those kids, I'd feel ok with letting her ride.

Check out the Official Bonnet Creek Thread or You too can do Disney Pregnant! or Our Budget In-Ground Pool
vettechick99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:13 PM   #9
maelstrom
DIS Veteran

I took the bus from kindergarten through tenth grade. In kindergarten, I rode the same bus with fifth graders in the morning; in the afternoon, we had our own bus (kindergarten is half-day here). After that, 1st thru 5th grade all took the same bus. It isn't that way anymore, though, because none of the schools are K-5 anymore.

Next Trip: May 2013 at Port Orleans French Quarter

Got Married! October 1, 2011 in Atlantic City!
maelstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:15 PM   #10
MushyMushy
Marseeya Here!
Drama Magnet
I only make exceptions for chocolate Mickey heads
I'm a big pie freak
I'll always laugh myself silly over the flag pole incident.

Both of mine were very much looking forward to it. For both of them, I drove them to school and let them ride the bus home.

They spent less time away from home that way. I got them to school later than the bus would, and the bus got them home earlier than I could have (parent pick ups had to wait 20 minutes to get the kids, so they got home before I could have done it)
Old 08-07-2009, 07:20 PM   #11
Chipmunk89
The DISer also known as CFR (Cute Furry Rodent)
Fledgling Redhead
I just had a really wierd experience

My ds starting riding the bus for pre-k. He loved riding the bus. I was very nervous since he was only 3, but our bus was only for pre-k students. When he started Kindergarten, I was again worried because there would be older kids on the bus. It turned out I worried for nothing. The bus driver kept the younger kids up front. And DS loved being a big boy.
Old 08-07-2009, 07:32 PM   #12
Nik's Mom
Karl Pilkington is a genius

Both of my kids rode the bus in kindergarten. We had a couple of bad experiences where a temp driver got lost and the kids were about 30 minutes late being dropped off. Of course, I would panic but a quick call to the school would confirm that the kids were on their way.

I was so nervous at first, so I understand where you are coming from. As long as the bigger kids are on a different bus, you should be fine.

Proud Mom to 2 boys, and wife to a great husband!
Nik's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:41 PM   #13
K and K's Mommy
WISH Biggest Loser/Blue Team
DIS Veteran
SpectroMagic and the fireworks after it are pure Disney magic
Try a Chocolate Wave next time you're in The Land

I remember the summer before my oldest rode the bus. I was a nervous wreck about the bus!! Within a week I realized I had worried over nothing. The little ones sat up front, plus the bus driver was "mean." He kept everything under control!!
Old 08-07-2009, 07:54 PM   #14
bigbabyblues
DIS Veteran

My boys go to private school, but if they went to public school, I'd let them ride the bus. They will be in 3rd grade and K this year, fwiw. Our neighbor kids ride the bus. Their mom started out driving them, and the oldest begged to ride the bus. They are only on the bus for maybe 10 minutes, though.
bigbabyblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:00 PM   #15
descovy
DIS Veteran

Yes, my kids at Kindergarten age ride (rode) the bus.

I find it safe and reliable transportation. And my tax dollars pay for it, may as well use it!

If you don't find it safe, think, would you let them attend a field trip?

Last year, my older daughter had a dance class once a week that was so soon after school that it required me to pick the kids up from the car rider line. I shake my head at all the families who do this daily... sometimes waiting up to an hour in line... running their engine and A/C the whole time. Especially in our school district, where everone has bus service available...even if they live accross the street from the school.

The money, time, fuel consumption to pick up one little child just boggles my mind. My oldest went to Kindergarten on the bus... and this year my youngest is going to Kindergarten and she'll be going on the bus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle&sebastiansmom View Post
Does your kindergartner or young elementary child ride the bus to school?

After witnessing the chaos that is the drop off and pick up line, it may be safer and easier for my 5 year to ride the bus.

But, I'm majorly scared and nervous for her to ride!!

Put my fears to rest, or convince me not to let her until she's older.

Thanks!!!
descovy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: