Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Pre-Trip Reports and Plans
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2009, 02:32 PM   #1
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

Recovered from worst trip ever, now planning a mother-daughter trip for DD's birthday

The cast for this pre-trip report is pretty simple:

I'm Shel, mom of 4, wife to Dave. This trip will be a girls only trip (yay)

DD Riley, who will celebrate her 8th birthday while we're gone. Riley is a total tomboy (with 3 brothers, no surprise) She LOVES Minnie Mouse and has since she was 2, plays soccer, loves swimming and animals.

If you've read my trip report from Oct/Nov you know we had the worst trip ever. We did manage to squeak out some fun here and there, but for the most part, it was cold, full of accidents and vomit and honestly, I wasn't sure I'd ever want to go back again.

Until we realized it was DD's year for her "big birthday".

When oldest DS was in second grade, we threw him a huge blowout birthday party with tons of friends. Not sure why it worked out for his 8th birthday, but it did. We usually do just family birthday parties, so it's unusual to do something that big. We followed suit with DS #2 when he turned 8, and both of those boys had huge 13th birthday parties as well. DD will be 8 this November, and we started talking about her party.

She laughingly said "well, I'd rather go to Disney, but since I know I can't, let me think about a party" (sigh) Poor Disney addict already at 7!!

Then I realized that Disney had released both room discount codes and a free dining code, and if I used one or the other and took her myself, we could swing a quick Disney trip for her birthday. Then she would also get the birthday fun giftcard if I registered her for "What will you celebrate". The wheels started turning, and I presented it to DH, who gave me the go ahead. I asked the other kids, and no one said they'd be upset if I took just their sister (youngest DS was so excited about going to stay with Grandma and Grandpa!) and so it's apparently a go.

I usually plan our WDW trip a year in advance, so having this short amount of time is beginning to stress me already! Our first major decision was easy, dates, since we wanted to go over her birthday. This will put us there Nov 28-Dec 4 or 5th.

Now I have to decide where to stay. We've never stayed onsite before.

What would you recommend? Value or moderate?

For moderate: DD is a big swimmer so I know she would enjoy the themed pools of the moderate. Plus we'd get the dining plan instead of just quick service, which means we could do special meals with our TS credits for her birthday the entire week, not just one a couple of times.

If we do value, we would save about $400, but have only quick service credits. We could take the extra money we'd save to do a TS or two, and then maybe hit a MVMCP (We LOVE MNSSHP!) Plus, I think the value themes are little more "kid friendly?"

Help me make the big decisions, then we'll plug through the little stuff, like ADRs, events, travel and if I should surprise her or let her in on our secret.
Old 08-08-2009, 08:15 PM   #2
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

R and I sat down today and went through the allears site, looking at pictures of resorts. She narrowed her choices down to AS Music or Coronado Springs. I can't believe she didn't pick Caribbean Beach Resort! I thought for sure that would be her pick.

Since I wasn't totally cracked about staying at a value since I didn't want QS dining only, I booked CSR today. I'm so excited. Our first time ever onsite.

Now to pick parks and get ready for ADRs. Since this is a trip for DD, I have a feeling we'll be doing a lot of character dining.

R is a big Minnie Mouse fan, so we have to do Chef Mickeys although I got the flu the night we ate there on our last trip and thinking about eating there again makes me a little icky feeling

My other choices for her are Garden Grill, 1900 Park Fare dinner, Crystal Palace. Probably a Tusker House and Ohana breakfast. We'll need one more for our day at DHS. Any ideas?
Register to remove

Old 08-08-2009, 08:32 PM   #3
magicaldisney11
Mouseketeer

My only choice at DHS is 50's Prime Time!! We love it and go every trip. I would also like to suggest Liberty Tree Tavern at MK, it is great food.

I just started planning my first mother/son trip (I have 4 sons and WAS married to a Dave,lol.) My youngest and I are going to do Disney in Sept 2010.

I hope you do a post trip report so I can see what you two did alone.

1997: OKW, me, DH (now ex), DS#1, DS#2, DS#3 &
4 others
2003: CBR, me, DS#1, DS#2, DS#3, DS#4 & 12 family members
2008: POFQ me, DS#3, DS#4 & 3 family members
MAY 2009: POFQ me, DS#2, DS#3, DS#4 & DSis#1 and DBil
Oct 2010: Pop Century, DboyF, DboyF son, DS#4
Dec 2011: POFQ, me, DS#4
magicaldisney11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:59 PM   #4
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

Thanks, magicaldisney11. We haven't eaten at 50's Prime Time before, so we'll have to try it.

I told DD I wanted her to nail down her resort choice this week. Earlier in the week I booked CSR (her choice based on the pool slide!) However, the more she thought about it and looked at pictures, the more she kept gravitating towards the Nemo rooms at CBR (it's more Disney-looking for her!) So today I changed our resort, and added a day to our trip since we decided we could leave after Thanksgiving dinner and drive halfway before stopping to stay.

My mom may be hitching a ride with us to visit her best friend who lives in FL, and considering my mom's horrible fear of heights, we have to drive. If she stayes behind, DD and I will fly and leave Friday morning. I also am not a fan of flying, but will gladly not drive

DD and I spent time yesterday going over our plans and restaurant ideas. We have our wish list, and I made her pick some backups in case we can't get our ADRs. Here are our plans if we can get our ADRs

Friday, arrive late, probably eat on the road (unless we fly, then we'll do something OOP)

Saturday, Epcot: Akershus for breakfast, Sunshine Seasons lunch, Coral Reef for dinner

Sunday: MK: breakfast in room, lunch at Pecos Bills, dinner at 1900 Park Fare

Monday: Epcot: breakfast in room, lunch????, Garden Grill dinner

Tuesday: DHS: breakfast in room, Starring Rolls lunch, 50's Prime Time dinner or Fantasmic Pkg if they are doing Fantasmic

Wednesday: MK: breakfast in room, Columbia Harbor House lunch, Crystal Palace dinner

Thursday: Animal Kingdom: Tusker House breakfast, Flame Tree lunch, late dinner at Fulton's Crab House at DTD paying OOP. (DD LOVES crab legs and she usually picks a seafood place for her birthday dinner)

Friday: DHS: breakfast in room, Pizza Planet lunch, boat to Boardwalk to eat dinner at Beaches and Cream.

Saturday: half day at AK: Ohana breakfast, a couple hours at AK before leaving to go home.

So, with our plan, we need to come up with another CS lunch at Epcot. We always eat at Sunshine Seasons! DD is an adventerous eater, loves Mexican, seafood and Chinese. Any ideas?
Old 08-17-2009, 10:23 AM   #5
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

Thought I would pop in and post a couple pictures!

DD's first trip to Disney in 2006. She is a major Minnie Mouse fan and this was her first meeting with her at LTT on a MNSSHP night. I'm so sad the characters are gone from LTT! DD was a month shy of turning 5 here.

Second trip in 2008. DD was a month from turning 7 here.

and a picture of DD and I from a MNSSHP in 08. It's the only picture I could find of us together!

and the ones we'll leave behind!

Old 08-17-2009, 10:35 AM   #6
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

I'm in! Sounds like a great trip for you and your DD! I'm going with my mom next month, just the two of us. Can't wait!
disneygirlinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 01:28 PM   #7
SilverL
My DH thinks he's Tarzan and I'm Jane. Go figure!

I've heard that Tangierine Cafe in Morocco has really good food. It's a CS. We're going to try it this year!

I remember reading your TR a while ago. I'm so glad you get to come back after that crazy trip!

Shawna (Me): Matthew (DH): (both in early 20's) | 8/01, 1/03, 9/07: Off Site w/family | 9/15/09-9/23/09: Pop Century Disneymoon w/DH!
[img]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/iz6m6b514zwo2i71.png[/img]
Read my Pre-Trip Report : DISNEYMOON: "Honey, you didn't list underwear!"
SilverL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:22 PM   #8
dreamer423
Mouseketeer

I'm subbing to get hints as i see you'll be there just before us.

In Epcot-We like the CS Fish n' chips. Also-all the desserts in germany/Norway. We eat a lot of hummus/pita at home so morocco is not high on our list-though it's decent.

i admit to liking the noodle house in Japan-rice/noodles/tempura...

There's also a candy feast in Japan-not lunch-but definitely a treat!

Can I really do a TR?http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2249954
dreamer423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 01:01 PM   #9
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneygirlinnj View Post
I'm in! Sounds like a great trip for you and your DD! I'm going with my mom next month, just the two of us. Can't wait!
how fun! I would love for my mom to go. She's never been. She may be riding with us to Florida to visit her best friend from high school, but she won't go play with Mickey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverL View Post
I've heard that Tangierine Cafe in Morocco has really good food. It's a CS. We're going to try it this year!

I remember reading your TR a while ago. I'm so glad you get to come back after that crazy trip!
After our last trip I didnt think I'd ever want to go again. It wasn't all awful, but there was a lot of magic sucked right out of it I'm glad I get to take DD....it's her favorite place in the world. I'm just hoping we have no repeats of our last trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamer423 View Post
I'm subbing to get hints as i see you'll be there just before us.

In Epcot-We like the CS Fish n' chips. Also-all the desserts in germany/Norway. We eat a lot of hummus/pita at home so morocco is not high on our list-though it's decent.

i admit to liking the noodle house in Japan-rice/noodles/tempura...

There's also a candy feast in Japan-not lunch-but definitely a treat!
We did the CS fish and chips. DD was not a fan, and she won't eat hummus (silly girl!) I'm going to have to read some CS menus.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:04 PM   #10
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

This weekend we did a little creativity in preparation for our trip!

We actually made the countdown timer for our last trip in 2008, (DD doing our double digit dance for that trip)

then I recovered it this winter with tropical paper to countdown to the cruise DH and I took in June for our anniversary. This weekend I pulled out the few Disney scrapping supplies I had left and we recovered it yet again.

Then I made DD a Mickey Money box for change. She has 2 Mickey banks, but she likes to get in there and count the change, and it disappears! I thought by making her a box, she could get money in, but not take any out. We'll see how well she does. Oh how I love the Mickey font Cricut Cartridge!

and this is something R hasn't seen. I totally stole this idea from "aristocrats_lover" in the decorating your resort room thread. (thank you!) This was all I had time to do before R got home.

These are for the window, and I'll add to our decorations stash soon (maybe some ribbons, we have lights etc). I also have magnetic paper left to make a sign for the door. I'm hoping to be able to sneakily decorate the window/door while she's sleeping or in the shower
Old 08-18-2009, 07:36 PM   #11
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

Today someone at work offered their soon-to-expire frequent flyer miles because "you shouldn't be driving 17 hours alone with a young girl!" I tried to talk him out of it (especially because I have a HORRIBLE fear of flying) However, he kept insisting that we take them so they didn't go to waste. They were enough to cover R's round trip ticket. Then I found the Airtran $25 coupons and used them and my tickets cost less than $100. No way could we drive it for less, so we booked it.

Now I have to suck it up and actually get on the plane. Yikes!
Old 08-18-2009, 07:53 PM   #12
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelley00 View Post
Today someone at work offered their soon-to-expire frequent flyer miles because "you shouldn't be driving 17 hours alone with a young girl!" I tried to talk him out of it (especially because I have a HORRIBLE fear of flying) However, he kept insisting that we take them so they didn't go to waste. They were enough to cover R's round trip ticket. Then I found the Airtran $25 coupons and used them and my tickets cost less than $100. No way could we drive it for less, so we booked it.

Now I have to suck it up and actually get on the plane. Yikes!
WOW! That's amazing and very generous of your co-worker!! Definitely can't pass that up. And just think, you'll get there so much quicker than driving.
disneygirlinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:54 PM   #13
shordiebecka
DIS Veteran

Just found your PTR! My parents are staying in a Nemo room at CBR the first week of November...they're kids at heart! I think that Carribean Beach is the most "disney" themed out of the moderates. Though I'm going to CSR for the first time come November!

Your countdown is too cute. I have to say that I loved Tusker House (we went for lunch), the service was great, and I also love 50's prime time.

Can't wait to hear more!
1990-Carribean Beach**1992- Port Orleans** 1996-All Star Music** 2000-Off Site** 2001- Port Orleans/DCL** 2003 AKL/DCL** 2005- Boardwalk Inn** 2006- All Star Music**2008 All Star Sports**2009 Animal Kingdom Lodge** 2009 CSR Holiday Trip** 2009 Beach Club Holiday Trip**2010 POR Fall Trip (Engaged!)**2012 Wilderness lodge (expecting a baby!)**2014 Boardwalk Villas (With a 9 month old!)

UP NEXT: November 2014- Art of Animation!!!
shordiebecka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:02 PM   #14
siestakey
Malificent Fan

I'm aristocats_lover's mom and I agree she does fabulous window displays! I will have to have her post our mother/daughter birthday trip window display from last May, we did the door, the windows and had so much fun! We stayed at POFQ, we love that resort, and I would highly recommend POFQ. The food court is great, bus service is wonderful, first on, yea!! Boat ride to Downtown Disney can't be beat, and you have the added bonus of two pools to choose from, POFQ or Riverside. Have a fabulous time with your daughter, I love our mother.daughter birthday trips

siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 08:31 PM   #15
TinkerbellLuvr7
Tinkerbellluvr7

I wanted to POP in and say I'm in!! I love all the pictures and can't wait to hear more!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: