Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  


Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2009, 01:49 PM   #1
diskids2
Not above grovelling for a tag
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NY
Posts: 3,034

My review of DME

No longer wish to share my personal review.
__________________

Last edited by diskids2; 08-27-2009 at 01:11 PM.
diskids2 is offline  
Old 08-07-2009, 02:09 PM   #2
Lewisc

DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 18,472

You have to do what makes sense to you but you cut it close. RAC has to complete the luggage check in, not start the process 3 hours before your flight.
http://disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16 first post My understanding is policy is enforced by the computer.

That means the check in process must be completed by 7:45 for a 10:45 flight. Bell Services got to your room at 7:30. That gave you 15 minutes to get from your room to the RAC desk, wait in line and complete checking in. You would have been stuck taking your luggage under the bus not the end of the world if the bellhop had been a few minutes late or if a couple of other guests were in line in front of you. I would have checked my luggage at 7a and spent the remaining hour or so having breakfast in my resort. Alternately have one person check the luggage while your other family members shower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskids2 View Post
7. The day before we were going home, I had a DME notice on my hotel door. We had a 10:45 am flight and we were being picked up at 8 am. I thought this was fine. I made arrangements at that time with Bell Services to pick me up at our room at 7:30. They wanted 7 am, but I was not having it. They told me that the resort airport checkin might be busy, but I said I'd take my chances. There was no way we were going to wait in the lobby for an hour.

8. CBR bell services were right on time and we breezed through the resort airline checkin. HOWEVER, about five minutes after I arrived there were five families waiting so I quickly understood why bellservices wanted me there an hour before....I lucked out. They took our checked bags at that point and I began to worry again....I think I have seperation anxiety
Exit of Aircraft to DME: 20 minutes
Wait at MCO for bus: 10 minutes
Arrive at CBR: 35 minutes (approx)
Luggage arrived: Anytime between 30 minutes after arrival in room to 3 hours ... don't know exactly we were having dinner and swimming
Lewisc is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 08-07-2009, 02:25 PM   #3
kjs1976
Thanks for the magic, Walt!
 
kjs1976's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,437

Thanks for the thorough post, Diskids! Gives me something to think about.
__________________
18 trips since 1991 - CR, BC, AKL, OKW, AS-Music, Sports, POFQ X 3, Pop
1 WDWCP
1 Honeymoon
2X Disney Land
5 B-Days spent in WDW and 1 in DL!
kjs1976 is offline  
Old 08-07-2009, 03:47 PM   #4
diskids2
Not above grovelling for a tag
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NY
Posts: 3,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewisc View Post
You have to do what makes sense to you but you cut it close. RAC has to complete the luggage check in, not start the process 3 hours before your flight.
http://disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16 first post My understanding is policy is enforced by the computer.

That means the check in process must be completed by 7:45 for a 10:45 flight. Bell Services got to your room at 7:30. That gave you 15 minutes to get from your room to the RAC desk, wait in line and complete checking in. You would have been stuck taking your luggage under the bus not the end of the world if the bellhop had been a few minutes late or if a couple of other guests were in line in front of you. I would have checked my luggage at 7a and spent the remaining hour or so having breakfast in my resort. Alternately have one person check the luggage while your other family members shower.
As I stated....I lucked out....
__________________
diskids2 is offline  
Old 08-07-2009, 05:13 PM   #5
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012
 
kaytieeldr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!
Posts: 36,607

But DME users - especially new ones - and potential users (i.e. readers of this thread) should note that the Disney Bell Services/Luggage Assistance CMs have had over four years' experience with Magical Express and its timing, and so their recommendations are invaluable. And the OP is correct - he absolutely DID luck out. Being at the end of that line of five parties with fifteen minutes to get to the front of the line, checked in, and to the pickup spot gives nobody any right or authority to jump the line.

Yes, I know the OP did not do that, and would not have done it. It's an observation based on years of general observation
kaytieeldr is offline  
Old 08-07-2009, 10:41 PM   #6
helenk
BL II - Purple Team>
WISH Biggest Loser/Blue Team
Loves Monk, and Peeps,
 
helenk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Pottstown, PA, USA
Posts: 8,400

Quote:
1. After the flight, the last thing I wanted to experience was the LONG walk to DME check in counters. I found myself longing for the FL Tours driver as I passed that area.
It's been awhile since I've used a town car service but you still have to go down to the baggage claim, correct? and wait for the luggage and then get out to the town car. You really do not save any steps, and time wise you may save about 15 or 20 minutes for $100??
To each his own of course but considering everything went well, I'd go with ME.
__________________

Offsite 6/83,5/87
ASSP 7/95 & 11/08, GF 9/99, YC 11/01, WL 12/02 & 9/09 POR 9/03, POFQ 6/04, 12/04, & 5/06 POLY 6/04 & 12/05, POP 12/04, ASMU 7/05,10/07 & 12/07, AKL 12/06, CBR 5/07, CSR 5/08, SSR 11/08, CR 1/09, DLH 5/09, AKV 6/09, ASSP 10/09, ASSP&AKV 12/09, BCV 9/10, VWL 12/10, AKV 1/11 AKV/DCL 5/11 VWL&AKV 12/11, AKV 5/12,SSR 10/12, OKW 12/12, AKV 5/13, HHI 6/13,VWL 12/13, VCG 5/14, Hollywood Hotel, Hong Kong 5/14, AKV 8/14, AKV 11/15

helenk is offline  
Old 08-07-2009, 11:57 PM   #7
Alesia
DIS Veteran
 
Alesia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Orange Barrel Capitol of the World
Posts: 10,115

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskids2 View Post
if that queue area were filled up with people I can imagine it would take FOREVER to get through.
You'd be surprised. The queue was completely full (and then some) when I was there last March. I still waited less than 10 minutes.
__________________

Alesia is offline  
Old 08-08-2009, 07:57 AM   #8
dburg30
Ferb, I know what we're going to do today! Yes, I'm a middle aged guy that loves Disney
 
dburg30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 6,954

.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diskids2 View Post

2. I had my vouchers ready, in my hand, and was greeted at the entrance podium by a CM who checked everything and told me to enter the queue path. There was NO ONE in the queue path. We just walked up to the check in podium, she checked our vouchers, and then we walked right up to the end of the queue area. I found this to be very quick....but if that queue area were filled up with people I can imagine it would take FOREVER to get through.

As someone else stated, it really does move pretty quickly, so long as they have a number of CM's working.

6. Our luggage arrived in our room while we were in the pool. We got back to the room about 9 pm. We arrived at CBR at about 5:30 pm...so the luggage arrived anytime in between that. Everything arrived and I was HAPPY! This was my biggest fear (but I had packed the pool clothes and two outfits plus important stuff in the carryons)

EVERYONE flying to anywhere should have stuff you will need early in your trip packed in a carry on! This has nothing at all to do with DME by itself, it has to do with flying anywhere and the possibility of the airlines misdirecting or delaying your luggage

Overall thoughts:
I know that this ran very smooth. It was a free service. You can't beat that. But, I honestly think I would pay the $100 or so for the FL Tours pick up. It's so much more convenient and easier. Less of a walk from the aircraft.....no checking of vouchers and waiting in potential lines...I'm sure it saves time....even if only 20-30 minutes....so I like that much better. AGAIN, there is nothing wrong with DME. I just like the super convenience of the car service. Plus I get a free stop at a supermarket and this trip I paid for the Garden Grocer to deliver my groceries so I had to pay a delivery fee and tip. That does not add up to the car service fee...but does cut down the difference a little.
That's the great thing, there are so many choices in transportation!! I am opposite if I want some food, I'll have it delivered, the prices arent that much higher, they will deliver the food to your room for you, and I dont have to do the shopping! And while you may save a little time, to me the price just isnt worth it. But as I said, it's wonderful there are so many choices for everyone!

Thanks for the review

Having said all that, any questions just ask!
__________________
Join me for a recap of the 2014 DOPEY 4 race challenge on facebook at Darrell Goes Dopey!
dburg30 is offline  
Old 08-10-2009, 02:09 PM   #9
Missytara
I'm all ears!
 
Missytara's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Delaware
Posts: 14,096

Agreed - I have been there on a Sunday morning, and the queing line was completely full and we only waited about 10 - 15 minutes too.........so don't expect just because the line is long; it will be a wait....

It is definately a great service.
__________________
Missytara is offline  
Old 08-10-2009, 05:19 PM   #10
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania
 
goofy4tink's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Central Ma
Posts: 48,498
DISboards Moderator

Thanks for the report...glad DME worked out fine for your family. I have used just about all the available means of transport from MCO to WDW....not taxi cabs, but everything else-Mears shuttle, both the old and the new one, DME, various towncar services and family car. They each had something going for them.
I know that when I used a towncar service, it saved me about 20 mins total...had to wait for my bags which took about 15 or 20 mins, then had to go down to the exact same level as DME is on....DME is about a 2 min walk past the car area.
For me, the money I save by using DME vs a car service is well worth it. But, many love the towncar service...it truly is a nice way to come and go at WDW!!!

Just a point of information.....when DME is expecting more guests to arrive, they put on more CMs at the checkin area. The only time it has taken me more than 10 mins in that line was last Dec....and the Pop Warner families were arriving at the same time..... The DME checkin line was back to the car rental counters!! It was scary. But even then, it only took 20 mins to get through the line. The bus line wait was quick though.
Just didn't want anyone to be concerned about times in line to checkin.
goofy4tink is offline  
Old 08-10-2009, 07:16 PM   #11
TaraPA
I will think of that animatronic as him
I also wouldn't mind if they made it racier!The germs would just skeeve me out!
 
TaraPA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Lehigh Valley, PA
Posts: 16,156

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenk View Post
It's been awhile since I've used a town car service but you still have to go down to the baggage claim, correct? and wait for the luggage and then get out to the town car. You really do not save any steps, and time wise you may save about 15 or 20 minutes for $100??
To each his own of course but considering everything went well, I'd go with ME.
I was thinking the same thing- we've done town cars, DME & taxis from MCO & they all pick-up in generally the same area - when I went they did anyway! Is there something new with towncar pick-up?

Great review by the way - thanks!
__________________




AKL/BWI CL split stay 8/14 Dane's birthday**Poly Girls Trip 5/14**Poly/AKV Girls Trip 3/14**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 12/13 **BWI CL/CSR BC Dane's surprise 13th birthday 8/13**BWV Girls Trip 4/13**WL CL/AKV Jambo family trip 3/13**CSR surprising family trip 12/12**POR Girls Trip 10/12 ** BC CL/Dolphin Family Trip 3/12** BCV/Poly Girls Trip 3/12**AKV Kidani 11/11 Girls Trip! **Dolphin 3/11 family trip ** Swan - 3/11 GIRLS TRIP!**AKV Kidani Girls Trip 10/10!**Dolphin 2/10- ESPN Weekend/family trip**BLT 11/09 Girls Trip** Dolphin 12/08 Girls Trip**Solo trip/offsite 05/08** Dolphin 12/07 mom & Dane trip**AKL 12/06 family trip**AS Music 11/02 mom & Ty trip**Disneyland - Anaheim Hilton 5/02 adults only!** AS Sports 9/01 family trip**Swan 10/00 family trip**CSR 10/99 family trip**offsite 1989,1987, 1970's

Last edited by TaraPA; 08-10-2009 at 07:17 PM. Reason: typo
TaraPA is offline  
Old 08-11-2009, 11:29 AM   #12
diskids2
Not above grovelling for a tag
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NY
Posts: 3,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenk View Post
It's been awhile since I've used a town car service but you still have to go down to the baggage claim, correct? and wait for the luggage and then get out to the town car. You really do not save any steps, and time wise you may save about 15 or 20 minutes for $100??
To each his own of course but considering everything went well, I'd go with ME.
As soon as you meet the town car service driver they begin to help with luggage and it was quite a bit of distance from that point to DME, plus it was down another level and then all the way across. So IMHO, it is worth spending the money....but that's just my opinion.
__________________
diskids2 is offline  
Old 08-11-2009, 11:33 AM   #13
diskids2
Not above grovelling for a tag
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NY
Posts: 3,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
Thanks for the report...glad DME worked out fine for your family. I have used just about all the available means of transport from MCO to WDW....not taxi cabs, but everything else-Mears shuttle, both the old and the new one, DME, various towncar services and family car. They each had something going for them.
I know that when I used a towncar service, it saved me about 20 mins total...had to wait for my bags which took about 15 or 20 mins, then had to go down to the exact same level as DME is on....DME is about a 2 min walk past the car area.
For me, the money I save by using DME vs a car service is well worth it. But, many love the towncar service...it truly is a nice way to come and go at WDW!!!

Just a point of information.....when DME is expecting more guests to arrive, they put on more CMs at the checkin area. The only time it has taken me more than 10 mins in that line was last Dec....and the Pop Warner families were arriving at the same time..... The DME checkin line was back to the car rental counters!! It was scary. But even then, it only took 20 mins to get through the line. The bus line wait was quick though.
Just didn't want anyone to be concerned about times in line to checkin.
The good thing is that they add the CM's....When we arrived there was one at the entrance....one checking the vouchers....one at the end of the queue and three with the white Mickey gloves.
__________________
diskids2 is offline  
Old 08-11-2009, 05:10 PM   #14
kaytieeldr
Reserving the right to make jokes out of typos - but NOT the people who make them - since 2012
 
kaytieeldr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: There is no Pixie Dust on the Transportation Board!!!
Posts: 36,607

Quote:
Originally Posted by diskids2 View Post
As soon as you meet the town car service driver they begin to help with luggage and it was quite a bit of distance from that point to DME, plus it was down another level and then all the way across. So IMHO, it is worth spending the money....but that's just my opinion.
When you (general you) use Disney's Magical Express, there's no need to claim any checked luggage - and, jmo, it's probably sensible not to pack more in one's carry-on luggage than one is willing to haul around. Then the visitor still needs to proceed to the ground level. Town car or DME, doesn't matter.

"Quite a distance" is relative - especially in relation to a Disney vacation where the walk from the escalators in the center of the terminal are likely closer to the DME Welcome Center than any other walk one will take on the entire trip. That walk's a lot easier when ya leave most of your belongings home and only pack what you'll need
kaytieeldr is offline  
Old 08-11-2009, 05:26 PM   #15
Lewisc

DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 18,472

kaytieeldr--There is a long walk from SW baggage claim to the DME area. Back up to level 3, go to the opposite corner of MCO then down to level one. Only an issue for guests arriving after 10p. It might make sense for late arriving guests to book a car service.
Lewisc is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Disneyland dining reviews, with pictures JeffGoldblum Disneyland (California) 3669 12-22-2014 09:24 PM
Team Renfroe's 2nd Trip Report - 1,500 pictures, dining reviews, and DISmeets! alan_renfroe Completed Trip Reports 1275 01-31-2010 11:13 AM
Hoop De Doo - recent review? tjmw2727 Disney Restaurants 22 08-07-2009 02:02 PM
DME ???--sorry, tried search & stickies jekjones1558 Transportation 4 08-07-2009 09:16 AM

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.