Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2009, 12:03 AM   #1
Redbudlover
DIS Veteran

Any grandparents take their DGD to WDW by themselves?

Hi, I was just wondering how many other grandparents out there take their grandchildren to WDW without taking the parents? What is the best tip you have for making that kind of trip successful?

I take my DGD by myself and have a wonderful time - we went last year when she was 2 1/2 and are going again this Sept when she is 3 1/2. Her parents don't enjoy Disney themselves but are happy for me to take her. The best thing I did last year was to take a long nap when she did each afternoon! What about you?
Redbudlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 05:37 AM   #2
summerlady
DIS Veteran

Yes! We brought our granddaughter with us last year when she was 7 and again this past May. Made a point of taking a break each afternoon for some pool time and a rest, also, tried to have meals at times when she would have ordinarily eaten at home. I also packed a couple of fruit bars and drink boxes of apple juice in my backpack for when I could see her running out of steam, that worked out very well. She's got one of those little kid cell phones from verizon that can only call 4 numbers so she kept that in her own little backpack, just in case we were somehow separated she'd be able to call one of us, never happened but it made *me* feel better! We never, ever attempted to "force" her to go on any ride that she wasn't enthusiastic about. She also kept her autograph book with pen and Epcot passport as well as her phone in her own small, lightweight backpack. DH and I are taking a short vacation, kidless, this November but we're looking forward to bringing Lauren along with us again next Spring. One other thing that helped keep us all in good humor was that we tried as best we could to stick to her normal sleeping/waking schedule...an overtired kid is NOT fun.

~Polynesian 1986~Many day trips from Mom & Dad's~Port Orleans March 2000~POFQ April 2008~POFQ May 2009~POFQ November 2009~POFQ November 2010~POFQ October 2011~POR October 2012~POFQ September 2013~POFQ March 2014~POFQ September 2014~

summerlady is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-09-2009, 06:06 AM   #3
dtum
DIS Veteran

We tried to take grandson, but DD loves Disney and there's no way she will let him go w/o her and her husband. Then DS would want to go because we are ALL going. So we either go with everyone in tow or just DH and I alone (that is very nice with no one else to answer too! ).
Windsor Hills (Romancing the Mouse) - June 2011 (me, DH,DD, SIL, GS, DS)
Emerald Island (Puff's Vacation Home-Tropical Retreat) - July 2013 (everyone!)
dtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:12 AM   #4
serene56
DIS Veteran

We are not "allowed" to take our GD for her first trip to Disney so everyone is going- After that first time we can take her whenever we want.

Although everyone is going- Jada will be with us in our room, will sit with us at dinner. (everyone will take turns riding the rides with her)

I am looking forward to her first trip- but looking forward to our alone time too.

PopPop has made her her own autograph books- she has one for each park. then he made her her own journal too- with check marks instead of writing out stuff.

our surprise day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2cIzwp4XWk&feature=plcp

serene56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:26 AM   #5
disneygirlinnj
DIS Veteran

Not a grandparent yet but I want to say I think it's awesome that all of you are taking your grandkids alone. I would have LOVED to go with both my grandparents by myself. The memories I have with them are some of my best. Like a PP said though, my whole family is slightly Disney obsessed so it never would have worked. Both times we went with my grandparents, there were about 15 or 20 total family members!
disneygirlinnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:35 AM   #6
StrawberryMin
Mouseketeer

I took my grandsons 5 years ago when they were 6 and 10 yrs old...it was their first time on a plane and it was a very special week for all of us. We have been lots since then, with parents, but both boys say that trip with just the three of us, was their favorite. They love looking at the scrapbook of all the pictures we took!

[/url]
StrawberryMin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 06:49 AM   #7
Kathy Z
Counting my Blessings

We took our DGD's (10 & 7) on their first trip to WDW in May. Left their brother (3) & newborn sister at home with the parents. It was a wonderful time of further bonding for us. They were old enough to enjoy a TS meal each day. We had most breakfasts in our room. I took their favorite cereal and had milk, juice, yogurt etc. delivered by Garden Grocer. We also had easy snacks (like those fruit things more like gum drops) and breakfast bars in backpack my husband carried into the parks. We took glo necklaces for them to wear the nights that we were in the parks so it was easier to keep an eye on them. The day that we had a very late lunch was the day we slept in (it was the middle day of our trip.) That day we had ice cream bars before lunch - they loved it!
Kathy Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:16 AM   #8
ShannonMB
DIS Veteran

I just wanted to second that I love all the GPs who take their grandkids to Disney! I so wish I would have had one of those with my grandmother who I loved SO, SOO much.

I hope if (God willing) my DD has any children, that I will be fortunate enough to take them to Disney!!! Knowing DD and her obsession with Disney (which almost compares to mine!), the grandkids and I will never be able to ditch her and go alone . She's only 8, so I'm way ahead of myself here! But I just think that is so special.

Shannon
ShannonMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:55 AM   #9
Linda Farrell
Mickey's #1 Fan

We also take our DGD4 with just us. I'd have to say we've lost count, maybe 6 times? It works out just great. We take the stroller and let her take a nap in it when she's tired. We let her ride Barnstormer over and over and over. We also let her help plan the meals. We leave this Sat., and she requested to eat with JoJo and Goliath, and Lilo and Stitch. I'm both proud and a little scared that our DGD4 can pick Disney restaurants at a moment's notice!!

She also enjoys DTD and the little rides they have there. She loves the pool, and we add in time there as well. She also rents movies from Community Hall, we are DVC, and always has a wonderful trip, as we do with her.

The memories we have with her are priceless, and I'm looking forward to as many more trips with her as we can do.

August 2014--DVC Member Cruise with DH, DGD9, DS and DDIL, VWL before the cruise

October 2014--Food & Wine at BLT with DH, DS, and DDIL
Linda Farrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:11 AM   #10
summerlady
DIS Veteran

I just want to add that my husband's parents took our two daughters to WDW their first time back in the mid-1980's, their grandparents are both gone now but the wonderful memories of that trip will always be with my daughters.

~Polynesian 1986~Many day trips from Mom & Dad's~Port Orleans March 2000~POFQ April 2008~POFQ May 2009~POFQ November 2009~POFQ November 2010~POFQ October 2011~POR October 2012~POFQ September 2013~POFQ March 2014~POFQ September 2014~

summerlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:22 AM   #11
Redbudlover
DIS Veteran

It is nice to hear from people that they wish they had gone with their grandparents and from those who enjoy taking their grandchildren. I was pretty disappointed that my DS and DDIL didn't enjoy it, but going alone with DGD3 makes up for it. This year I told her we would be staying at BWV (I am a new owner. Yay!) and she said, "But we like Wildernes Lodge, Amah." Well yes we do, but I wasn't able to get into the villas there! And this year we were talking about dinner with Pooh - another of her favorietes and she asked if we could eat with Cindarella! Where did she hear about that? Pretty soon she si going to be sending me her own spreadsheets with plans!
Redbudlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:25 AM   #12
jphilhower
Mouseketeer

I love these stories. We're planning on taking our granddaughters next year for the first time with or without there parents.
jphilhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 09:36 AM   #13
dogodisney
DIS Veteran

We will be taking our DGD(6) for the 3rd time this Dec. The first time she was 2 1/2. We have custody of her so that makes it a little different than the rest of you. She is my Disney lovin' sidekick.
Old 08-09-2009, 10:33 AM   #14
disgram
DIS Veteran

We have taken our oldest dgd since she was 4 yrs old. Three years ago, she decided that she would rather go to her uncle's instead so I started taking the other two dgds. We have had a great time! I love the time that I have with them just the 3 of us.
This year, I have been sick but I am going again with the girls but my DD and her son (2 yrs) are going to keep an eye on me!!! If I do well this trip then it will go back to the girls and me next year!!!!
disgram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 10:56 AM   #15
MariaElleršoš
DIS Veteran

My parents have taken their grandchildren to Disney without the parents. I wanted to go and they wouldn't let me! LOL Now they're taking their great grandson without his mom. hehe Paybacks are so nice now that my daughter is pouting that she's not being allowed to go. hehe

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: