Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Reports Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2009, 07:44 AM   #1
wickesy
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, you're always a day...closer to our next Disney trip
I will be opening a sack full of cards and fighting off the advances of lots of lovely ladies

Windy City, Smoky Mountains ~ Day 3 - John Hancock Observatory & Navy Pier

Having got used to the time difference all ready I didnít wake up until 6:30 today and we were up at 7:40. First stop of the day was the John Hancock Observatory, which was just across the road from the hotel and didnít open until 9:00 so we werenít out until 8:45.

We were soon at the top of the tower and the views are much better by day.

This little unit was for the audio tour that gave information (voiced by David Schwimmer) about what we were looking at.

Continued

I currently live in London until I have enough DVC points to stay at Animal Kingdom Villas every day of the year

Sep '92, Apr '07 - Contemporary Resort ~ Apr '08 - Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ Aug '08 - Grand Californian ~ Mar '09 - Saratoga Springs ~ Mar '10 - DLP ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
Trip Reports: WDW April '07 ~ Canada August '07 ~ WDW April '08 ~ SF & Disneyland August '08 ~ WDW March '09 ~ Smokies August '09 ~ DLP March '10 ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
wickesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:44 AM   #2
wickesy
Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love you tomorrow, you're always a day...closer to our next Disney trip
I will be opening a sack full of cards and fighting off the advances of lots of lovely ladies

After looking around again we stopped off in the cafť at the top for a cappuccino each which we drank whilst enjoying the view. We then made our way back down and strolled down Michigan Avenue, which is the main shopping street in Chicago, making our way towards Navy Pier. Have you ever been going somewhere and can see where you need to get to but canít see how to get there from where you are? Well thatís what happened to us. Somehow I missed the side street I had intended to go down and just taking a side-street at random wasnít such a good idea because we ended up going down roads that were dead ends. In the end we found our way to Navy Pier but walked about twice the distance we needed to.

First stop was the food court where we grabbed a Chicago style hot dog and root beer each. Chicago hot dogs donít have mustard or ketchup but they do have mustard pickles and celery salt and they are absolutely delicious.

After our hot dogs we had a wander along the pier which was a strange experience. With the sound of the seagulls, the breeze from the water and water as far as the eye can see all of your senses are telling you that you are at the seaside when in fact you are just on the edge of a very large lake - Lake Michigan. We walked to the end of the pier and then made our way back, this time going through the Museum of Stained Glass Windows, which had some very nice pieces.

It wasnít a museum in the traditional sense but more of a gallery that you walked through on your way to somewhere else. When we came out of the other end we stopped off at a stall where we bought a couple of 1lb bags of mixed cinnamon roasted nuts (almonds, pecan and cashew).

By now it was after 1:00 so we started making our way back along the lake shore and returned to the hotel around 1:40 (this time without getting lost) to have a rest before going out for a Chicago style pizza later in the evening.

After a couple of hours break we went out for another wander and had a look around Borders and Williams-Sonoma where we bought a couple of jars of mixed peppercorns before going back to the suite. At 5:00 we went back out and made our way round to Ginos East, a couple of blocks from the hotel and one of the original Chicago style pizza restaurants. Although it was still relatively early the queue was out the door and it was 10 minutes before we got into the building and another 10 before we had a table. We were told that a small deep dish would do for the two of us to share so we ordered a meaty legend (Pepperoni, Italian sausage, Canadian bacon and bacon) with added jalapenos and a beer each. The deep dish pizzas take 45 minutes to cook so itís not the sort of thing to order if you are in a hurry but it was well worth the wait and we were completely full after eating. Ginos is probably one of the only restaurants that positively encourages you to write on the walls which are covered with the names of people that have eaten there in the past.

Not my picture, just a random one I found on the net.

We were back in the suite just after 7:00 where we spent the evening watching TV before going to bed at 10:00 ready for check-out in the morning.

Todayís Disney reference:

At the John Hancock Observatory you can buy ĎFastpass Admissioní which gives you access to this lift to avoid the queues (although there werenít any when we were there)

Day 4

I currently live in London until I have enough DVC points to stay at Animal Kingdom Villas every day of the year

Sep '92, Apr '07 - Contemporary Resort ~ Apr '08 - Animal Kingdom Lodge ~ Aug '08 - Grand Californian ~ Mar '09 - Saratoga Springs ~ Mar '10 - DLP ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise
Trip Reports: WDW April '07 ~ Canada August '07 ~ WDW April '08 ~ SF & Disneyland August '08 ~ WDW March '09 ~ Smokies August '09 ~ DLP March '10 ~ Jun '10 - Inaugural Baltic Cruise

Last edited by wickesy; 08-08-2009 at 05:32 AM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-07-2009, 08:07 AM   #3
Pegasus928
DIS Veteran

Some great pics of the views there - and I love Chicago style pizza though have never had a chance to try one actually in Chicago - so I am seriously jealous now.
Pegasus928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:22 AM   #4
Snowy-girls
Did you speak to a 'human being'?
As you can see, all I have is a load of gobble-de-gook writing

David i can't see the piccy of the peoples names on the wall in the restaurant-just a red cross .

I see what you mean now about the day shots-they are excellent.Are they swimming pools on top of the buildings?.
I love the holograms of the trainers that they project onto the buildings .
That pizza sounded very yummy+that comes from someone who is not a pizza lover.x.

Sweet Kitty Dreams La-La,Smudge,Sam+Max.Together Again.11:3:94-20:5:08.x.x.29:4:93-17:3:09.x.x.29:4:93-21:7:10.x.x.11:3:94-2:3:12.x.x.

NOV90Sheraton Anaheim CaliforniaSEP93Quality Inn I-DriveSEP95Holiday Inn I-DriveSEP97Castle Inn+Suites AnaheimSEP98-Best Western AnaheimAUG03Quality Inn I-DriveApr/May04Holiday Inn I-DriveApr09Embassy Suites I-Drive SouthApr11Quality Inn Plaza+Pop.Aug13Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,CSR+AKL With Free QSDP.AUG15Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,RPR+21 nights at OKW With Free DDP.
Snowy-girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:42 AM   #5
wickesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy-girls View Post
David i can't see the piccy of the peoples names on the wall in the restaurant-just a red cross .

I see what you mean now about the day shots-they are excellent.Are they swimming pools on top of the buildings?.
I love the holograms of the trainers that they project onto the buildings .
That pizza sounded very yummy+that comes from someone who is not a pizza lover.x.
Oops, thanks Michelle. Should be fixed now. Yes they are swimming pools on tops of the buildings, I think most of them are probably hotels.

Ok, Ok, so I'm no David Bailey but I do my best.

The pizza was great and definitely worth waiting all that time for. I can see why that restaurant is so popular.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:48 AM   #6
Snowy-girls
Did you speak to a 'human being'?
As you can see, all I have is a load of gobble-de-gook writing

That's it,i can see it now .x.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickesy View Post
Ok, Ok, so I'm no David Bailey but I do my best.
You know i am only joking .x.

Sweet Kitty Dreams La-La,Smudge,Sam+Max.Together Again.11:3:94-20:5:08.x.x.29:4:93-17:3:09.x.x.29:4:93-21:7:10.x.x.11:3:94-2:3:12.x.x.

NOV90Sheraton Anaheim CaliforniaSEP93Quality Inn I-DriveSEP95Holiday Inn I-DriveSEP97Castle Inn+Suites AnaheimSEP98-Best Western AnaheimAUG03Quality Inn I-DriveApr/May04Holiday Inn I-DriveApr09Embassy Suites I-Drive SouthApr11Quality Inn Plaza+Pop.Aug13Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,CSR+AKL With Free QSDP.AUG15Rosen Inn Pointe,HRH,RPR+21 nights at OKW With Free DDP.
Snowy-girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:52 AM   #7
wickesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowy-girls View Post
You know i am only joking .x.
Yes I do.

Old 08-07-2009, 09:53 AM   #8
Pinky166
a little on the OCD side
very impulsive, which doesnít bode well for our credit cards!
They don't call me "Clever Claire" for nothing!

Great pics. I love stained glass windows so would love to see that museum/display.

That pizza sounds yummy!!!

Sept 2000 - I-Drive, Sept 2002 - Kissimmee, Sept 2003 - AKL, Sept/Oct 2006 - Univ PBR, June 2008 - DLRP, Hotel NY, Dec 2008 - Univ HRH, WL & YC, Sept 2009 - OKW, 4n Wonder & Poly, June 2010 - BLT, Nov 2010 - DLRP, Sequoia Lodge, Jan 2011 - Univ RPR, Dream Maiden Voyage & AKV, Sept 2011 - 14n WBTA & BLT, Oct 2012 - Paris & DLRP, June 2013 - 7n Med Cruise, Oct 2013 - Univ RPR, SSR, & Fantasy, May 2014 - 12n EBTA, Sept 2014 - 14n WBTA, May 2015 - 15n EBTA, Sept 2015 - West Coast Road trip & Disneyland
Pinky166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:45 AM   #9
irongirlof12
Am I the only one who loves Quorn Sausages?
I would love to be at Ghiradelli's ice cream parlour with a massive choc sundae

I am so afraid of heights, so your piccies scared the ebe-je-be's out of me! (only kidding the views look amazing). I would not be able to swim in any of those pools- ground level for me only!

Chi-Car-gi - as Doris Day would say has a great skyline

love the glass windows how cool are they. - you pick some fab places to visit
Old 08-07-2009, 11:30 AM   #10
natalielongstaff
I need a cup of tea and a big bar of free chocolate now
Was born with my dancing shoes at the ready
I will be back later to stalk some more

great day David, we had a similar navigating experience in New York

natalielongstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:27 PM   #11
Goofysmate
Isn't fussed where she is, as long as it's a bit warmer than here

Great pictures David ,
Did you write on the wall
Sept 2006 Weston Hills (Villa)
Nov 2008 Regal Palms (Town House)
Goofysmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 05:49 PM   #12
tennisfan
Was told off for sliding down the banister at the SL
South Africa or California for me
Popped to the Boots

DISboards Moderator

Awesome views of the skyline

Trips:
DLRP - Hotel Cheyenne, October, 1994, DLRP - Hotel New York, October, 1998, DLRP - Hotel New York, June, 1999, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, October, 1999, DLRP - Hotel New York, October, 2000, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, October, 2001, Walt Disney Studios preview, February, 2002, DLRP - Hotel Cheyenne, August, 2002, New York City, Easter 2004, DLRP - Hotel New York, August, 2004, DLRP - Day trip, November, 2004, DLRP - Day trip, September, 2005, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, Easter 2007, DLRP - Kyriad, June 2007 DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, June 2009 DLRP - Day trip, November 2009 New York City, February 2010 DLRP - Disneyland Hotel, June 2010 DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, September 2010 Stratosphere Hotel, Las Vegas, October 2010 DLRP - Day trip, January 2011, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, August 2011, DLRP - Day trip, January 2012, DLRP - Sequoia Lodge, June 2012, DLRP - Santa Fe, November 2012,
tennisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 06:31 AM   #13
florida sun
Mrs Christopher Eccleston wannabe
Don't you know who I am ??? I was on Dr Who
I'm dizzy just reading

DISboards Moderator

Brilliant pictures David, I also noticed the swimming pools on the roofs,

florida sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:57 AM   #14
wickesy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofysmate View Post
Did you write on the wall
No we didn't. I think just about every inch is covered now and a lot of it is double-covered. Even the benches you sit on are covered in names!

Old 08-08-2009, 01:43 PM   #15
Chilly
I was having a bit of a blonde moment
D'oh!
Married my prince at WDW

The stained glass window place sounds lovely.
Chilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: