Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2009, 08:46 PM   #1
C.Ann
We'll remember when...
No time for green bananas
When the going gets tough, she gets the Palmolive!!
If I knew we were going to be graded here, I might try harder

Smile What kind of "extras" - if any - do you add on to your Disney trips?

Was reading some other threads on the boards about BBB, character meals at CRT, etc.. Got me to wondering what kind of "extras" people add on to their trips and if they think they're really worth the extra $$$..

Twice I paid for preferred rooms at Pop - because my sister was going to be with me (health issues) and it was much easier for her to be close to Classic Hall.. I felt that was well worth the money..

MVMCP - did it once with my DD and her family - and once with my sister.. Both times I felt it was well worth the money..

Character meals at Chef Mickey (breakfast) and Garden Grill (2001 lunch before they changed the menu).. Loved them both! Great food and awesome character interaction..

Park hopping - always! We love to be able to hop all over the place on any given day, at any time..

Photo pass - love it!! Have used it twice and was thrilled with the photos.. Was worth MORE than what we paid for it!

How about you?
----------------------------------------

"I wrote your name in the sand,
but the waves washed it away.
I wrote your name in the sky,
but the wind blew it away.
So I wrote your name in my heart,
and that’s where it will stay.."

"We won't be sad, we'll be glad
for all the life we've had
and we'll remember when...."
C.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 09:51 PM   #2
Ktharee
Love the Mouse!

We always get the dining plan, so I don't consider the character meals as "extra's" per se, but I love them all.

I've taken my daughter to the BBB and it was worth every ridiculous penny spent.

We've done a grand gathering experience "illuminations international dinner" which was not worth it.

We splurged and stayed at the Poly and got upgraded for free to concierge level- SOOOOO worth it!!!!

We've dined at Cinderella's Royal Table-worth it!

Dropped some quarters into the shooting arcade in Frontierland-Worth it!!!

Face Painting at Animal Kingdom-holy cow, worth it! True artists!!!

Gave in to my daughter's ridiculous desire for a whacky disney hat I knew she would never wear again...her smile was worth it.

1978 Offsite • 1983 Contemporary • 1990 Caribbean Beach • 1992 Offsite • 1999 Caribbean Beach
2001 • Contemporary • 2002 Disneyland • 2005 Disneyland • 2007 Port Orleans French Quarter • 2007 Disneyland • 2008 Polynesian • 2008 Disneyland
• 2009 Coronado Springs • 2010 Disneyland • 2010 MVMCP offsite

2009 Free Dining at Coronado Springs Trip Report

Ktharee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-06-2009, 10:06 PM   #3
PoohsFan1
DIS Veteran

- We have gone on the Family Magical Tour in MK which I highly recommend to anyone who has not done this yet.
- We are going to MVMCP for the first time this year, in fact this will be the first time that we will do any of the Holiday festivities....thanks to my AWESOME DH who sprung a surprise to me and both my DDs with our trip in December
- We have rented watercraft....our favorite is the pontoon boat
- Gone minature golfing at Winter/Summerland
- Go to a different restaurant at least once every trip
- Always do a character meal
- We always try out a new resort whenever we go to Disney

There are many more extras that we do, either I will do them as a surprise or my DH will secretly come up with some extras to do....that is why I love him so much

PoohsFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:07 PM   #4
PIRATEGIRL007
DIS Cast Member
OMG! I am about to jump up and down!
real technical words, aren't they!

We have done preffered rooms a few times, never found it was worth it at Pop or All Stars, we have actually gotten closer to Classic Hall at Pop with standard rooms.

We have splurged on photopass cd, was worth every cent for the pictures of my DH having an impromptu gun fight with Woody.

Park Hopping, always, don't even consider it a splurge anymore, its a necessity.

Both MVMPCP (twice) and MNSSHP were worth the money for us. Love the rare/unusual charectors.

Last year we spent an exorbant amount (IMO) for a stuffed mickey in the parks when my DS (3 then) already had one at home, BUT he sleeps with it every night and doesn't even play with his other one, so it was worth it.
PIRATEGIRL007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:12 PM   #5
KSDisneyDad
DIS Veteran

In addition to the trip itself which is a splurge in my book, we've done some extras:
  • Staying on-site every trip (each value and moderate and 4 different Deluxes)
  • Victoria & Alberts for our 10th Wedding Anniversary!!
  • The kitchen sink one year at Beaches & Cream.
  • Sea Raycers on Seven Seas Lagoon.
  • All 3 hard-ticket events (MVMCP, MNSSHP, PPP)

But honestly, some of the best things were "free":
  • Riding Splash Mountain with each of my kids.
  • Sitting on a rocker between two palm trees on the beach of the Poly watching the fireworks and the EWP
  • Star Wars weekends.
  • Riding in the front of the monorail.
  • Walking through an empty MK at 2:00 in the morning as EMH ends.
  • Running into Push by complete accident one year and watching how entertained the kids were.
  • Taking the boat from POR to DTD
  • Many different special character interactions.
  • etc. etc.
WDW - BCV (Jun '12) BLT (Jun '11); Boardwalk (Sep '10); Poly (Aug '07), CR (Nov '06), AKL (Nov '04, Sept '06), Swan (Dec '05), POR (Dec '98, Mar '10), POFQ (Mar '05), CSR (Nov '02), CBR (Jun '03), Sports (Dec99, Oct '01, Dec '02), Music (Aug '09), Movies (Dec '00, Aug '07), Pop (Jun '04 Jun '05)
DLR - August 2008 and January 2013 at DLH
DCL Gold CC Member: Magic Western (Sep-05, Sep-06); Magic Panama Canal Repo (Aug-08); Wonder 4-night (Mar-10 and Sept-10) Fantasy Eastern (Jun-12)

Next Trip: 6/15/2013 - 7-Night Eastern Caribbean Fantasy and BLT!
KSDisneyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:22 PM   #6
JohnsonsFour
Mouseketeer

For our trip next month we added:
- waterfront room POFQ
- hopper passes
- photopass CD + album
- 5 character meals we haven't visited yet
- Pirate League for son & husband
- La Nouba tix
- Parasailing
- MNSSHP tix
- Bayou Pirate Adventure tix for the kids
- Characters in Flight

In past trips we've added:
- block of waterfront rooms for DD's bday CBR
- hopper tix
- photopass CD (purchased album after our trip)
- block of seats at BBB
- Wishes fireworks cruise decorated w/ for dd's bday
- MVMCP tix
- Character meals
- Photo sitting at Grand Floridian for family portaits
- Pick-a-pearl (Japan)

Would love to hear what others add on to their trips
JohnsonsFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:30 PM   #7
geenerbell
Am I caught up with Robo yet?

La Nouba-Worth it
Preferred at POP - not worth it
MVMCP-hope it's worth it
Hoppers-sometimes worth it
HDDR-Worth it
Pirate Cruise-Worth it
GF Spa- Worth it
Gaylord Palms ICE-hope it's worth it
geenerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:04 AM   #8
Epcot4Me
Mouseketeer

We always add park hoppers and do a character meal. We also usually play mini golf as well.

In the past, we have added:
golf round- worth it
those ridiculous 4 person bike rentals- the video we have from that ride is totally worth it
water mouse- love these!
Segway tour- best thing ever! We are doing the FW one this trip
Behind the Seeds tour- excellent, loved it
Illuminations cruise- expensive, but for a one time only thing, it was fabulous.
La Nouba- AMAZING
HDDR- loved it, have been many times
Luau- never, ever again!

This trip, we want to do tea at the GF and spa treatments for the girls

Go Red Sox!!
Epcot4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:57 AM   #9
eeyorepixie
AKA Queenie

Dessert Party
BBB
Limo to and from airport
WP+
Hoppers (will skip this next trip, part of a GG)
Pins for our whole GG
Matching shirt for whole GG
I am going during FD so meals are not really and extra, but I consider HDDR and extra because it is 2 TS.
Old 08-07-2009, 05:20 AM   #10
blondinkaya
DIS Veteran

Last May was our first trip. We were on DxDP, so we took advantage of character meals and HDDR. Didn't do anything beyond that, though.

Last Nov, we went down for a long weekend and did Sea World and MVMCP.

This Nov, we're going down for a week and will do MVMCP, Candlelight Processional package, eat at the Castle (I know, the food's not worth the cost, but it'll be a one-time thing to say we've done it), and are contemplating doing the Wildlife Discovery Excursion. Oh ... Dh and I will be eating at Narcoosses and sending the kids and his parents to the Luau at the Poly--DATE NIGHT FOR US!!!
blondinkaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:11 AM   #11
happymommy
DIS Veteran

One year we were staying concierge level at AKL (Dec 26 to Jan 2) and they booked us on Breathless for New Years Eve. That was cool - Epcot was super crowded (I mean packed in like sardines) and we were under the bridge sipping champagne on Breathless. It was expensive but a good memory.

We don't really do character meals on purpose - just not too into them.

Had a meal at Bistro de Paris one time - it was super ex*****ve but a fun memorable meal.

Previous WDW vacations include:
CR as a child with parents 1992 offsite twice 1993 Honeymoon GF 1995 BC 1996 SOG 2000 GF 2001 BWV 2003 (spring break) CR 2003 (summer) AKL 2003 (Christmas break including NYE) AKL concierge 2005 summer BWV 2006 April Swan 2006 August Dolphin 2007 March AKL 2007 August Dolphin 2008 March 7 Night Western on the Magic
2008 August (The Dark Side) PBH 2008 Dec BWI 2009 March Swan 2010 March Offsite (Grande Vista) 2010 December BWV plus 2 nights Marriott's Harbour Lake and 3 bonus nights snowed in at the Aiport Renaissance 2011 March Offsite (Marriott's Harbour Lake) 2012 August Offsite (Marriott's Grande Vista and Sabal Palms) March 2014 BWV
happymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:20 AM   #12
Danauk
I would be sitting on the patio of the Fontana bar at the Bellagio hotel in Las Vegas watching the dancing fountains on a warm balmy night whilst sipping vintage Champagne

We always have meals at the signature restaurants whether on the dining plan or not.
We always stay on site at deluxes or in DVC villas.
We always book at least 1 tour (this goes for trips to Disneyland and Disneyland Paris too.)
Sometimes we book into one of the spas.
We always get the UK 14 day unltimate ticket (14 day park hoppers with unlimited DQ and water park access.)
We also have at least one off site day to universal, kennedy, Busch Gardens etc.
Disneyland Paris: Aug 1998 (off site - honeymoon), Easter 2004 (Hotel New York), Feb 2005 (off site), April 2008 (Hotel New York), October 2008 (Disneyland Hotel), November 2008 (Hotel New York), August 2013, Halloween 2013, New Year 2013/4, August 2014, New Year 2014/15, Easter 2015 WDW: August 2003 (Beach Club Villas - 5th anniversary), Christmas/New Year 2005/6 (Beach Club Villas), August 2009 (Animal Kingdom Lodge savanna view - 11th anniversary) Disneyland: August 2008 (Grand Californian, theme park view - 10th anniversary)
Danauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:59 AM   #13
topmonkeygirl
DIS Veteran

We went to MNSSHP and had light up Mickey Ears delivered to our resort for the part from the Disney florist.

It was my DH first trip so I made sure he got to ride in the front of the monorail.
(Can you belive it he's 43 and went to The World for the first time last year?)

Next year we're going to MVMCP and I'm surprising him with the Driving Experience. That will be very exciting for him.

It really is a "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow".
topmonkeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:00 AM   #14
LisaInNc
Succulent Wild Woman

We always add in extras.

My Octotber trip we are doing:

The Party for the Senses
Richard Petty Speedway
Grand Floridian Spa
MVMHP
Victoria and Alberts...I count this as an extra because it's a big deal for us

In the past we have done:

My Disney Girls Perfectly Princess Tea Party
Alice in Winderland Tea
Adventures in Cooking
Lots of Spa treatments
V&A
Keys to the Kindom Tour
Segway Tour
Backstage Magic Tour
Family Magic Tour
VMK tour
Wishes Dessert Partry
Photo CD on all trips
Kids Clubs at least once a trip
MNSSHP
MVMCP
Concert at the House Of Blues
BBB

For my family Disney is about a lot more than the parks.
LisaInNc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 08:21 AM   #15
WTP
Mouseketeer

We are generally budget-minded folks and also tend to share meals at CS so any sit down meal is an extra for us. Last trip, our extras were:

-park hoppers
-hollywood & vine fantasmic package, and lunch at Garden grill. Both were provided by my IL's!

This time around our extra are going to be

-park hoppers
-CP package (hopefully w/ Garden Grill)
-Crystal Palace lunch
-dinner at O'Hana
-The big one is staying at BLT in a 2BR. Since my IL's are traveling with us we want to have plenty of space to spread out in!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: