Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2009, 03:16 PM   #106
DisneyBamaFan
Alabama - 2009 National Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbell111 View Post
Do not parse my post in a way that changes it's meaning...
Just trying to help you find their real meaning...
DisneyBamaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 03:19 PM   #107
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy! View Post

OMGoodness -The irony of it all, especially that you just spent half a thread arguing that one cannot be insulted by words.
I don't think they were saying you shouldn't be insulted, I think they said don't project your insult onto someone else because you are then forcing them to have the same emotional attachment to a word that you do.

I am kind of saying the same thing. While I do believe that no word should insult anyone I think you have every right to be insulted by a word or color of shirt or anything else. What you don't have the right to do is project your insult onto me or anyone else.

I think the correlation to abortion, which as a subject for debate is off limits but using as a citation for a specific incident should be ok, is that one may have an emotional attachment to the act just as one has an emotional attachment to a word. The emotional attachment to the word should be just as personal as the attachment to the act and not projected onto everyone else.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-07-2009, 03:20 PM   #108
sbell111
I don't care if people walk slowly, as long as they are willing to do it behind me
Our roomba locked itself in the laundry room not too long ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyBamaFan View Post
Just trying to help you find their real meaning...
rudeness at it's worse.
sbell111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 03:32 PM   #109
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer View Post
I don't think they were saying you shouldn't be insulted, I think they said don't project your insult onto someone else because you are then forcing them to have the same emotional attachment to a word that you do.

I am kind of saying the same thing. While I do believe that no word should insult anyone I think you have every right to be insulted by a word or color of shirt or anything else. What you don't have the right to do is project your insult onto me or anyone else.

I think the correlation to abortion, which as a subject for debate is off limits but using as a citation for a specific incident should be ok, is that one may have an emotional attachment to the act just as one has an emotional attachment to a word. The emotional attachment to the word should be just as personal as the attachment to the act and not projected onto everyone else.

I don't follow...So You can call me anything you want, and I can be offended, but I have to keep my "offendedness" to myself?

So then in your view, there is no such thing as hate-speech? It's all just words, and the intended targets of such speech have no right to project their perceived feelings of insult onto the person who made the speech.

Or have I misinterpreted you?
Old 08-07-2009, 03:38 PM   #110
DisneyBamaFan

Quote:
rudeness at it's worse.
Perhaps, but no more rude than imposing your mores on others...
Old 08-07-2009, 03:45 PM   #111
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms.yt View Post
Before this thread gets closed, I'm wondering why you haven't addressed the posters who have asked you to explain why this is such a hot topic with you? There is obviously something going on here to explain your venom about the word jappy.
I've never heard that term before, so before it was explained on here I thought it was a typo in OP's post. Although I'm aware of the Jewish princess stereotype, it's not something I've ever encountered IRL as there aren't many Jewish folks in northeast Arkansas.
Sorry I forgot about that post.

It is a hot button issue for me only in that I am offended by racial and ethic slurs and the improper use words as insults.

Since you are aware of the stereotype then I am sure you can understand that using it in a derogatory manner makes it a slur.

Quote:
Since when is "gay" a slur?--
It depends on how it's used. To say 'he's gay' when referring to a man that is homosexual is not a slur. When a teen says 'you're so gay' when unhappy with someone else's behavior, it becomes a slur.
jrmasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 03:50 PM   #112
Lisa loves Pooh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Do not parse my post in a way that changes it's meaning.

And everyone can make decisions about one another based on the verbiage that they choose.

That argument doesn't work. It's like me making the argument that it's OK for me to drop the N word simply because some black people use it.
You are incorrect. There is ZERO argument. It is not a derogatory term PERIOD.

If I were to call a black person the N word--even if they use it freely within their community to "reclaim" the word--it would still be slur.

The GAY community does not recognized the word GAY as a slur. In fact it is very much PREFERRED terminology.

You can proclaim from the mountaintops that it is a slur, but it does not make it so.

http://www.gayneighbor.org/offensive.php

Note that this group that published this list (GLAAD) to define what is OFFENSIVE has the term GAY in their name.

A heterosexual on a disboard (I'm assuming since you call the word a slur but do not identify yourself as homosexual)--can't trump what the community has stated is an appropriate term. But it was nice of you to try to defend those who disagree with your reasoning. FWIW--I did not know this--but the word "homosexual" is considered offensive.

To equate it with the N word--is just wrong.

http://www.gayneighbor.org/offensive.php

Quote:
list is borrowed from Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLADD)

Offensive: "homosexual" (n. or adj.)
Preferred: "gay" (adj.); "gay man" or "lesbian" (n.)
Please use "lesbian" or "gay man" to describe people attracted to members of the same sex.
Because of the clinical history of the word "homosexual," it has been adopted by anti-gay extremists to suggest that lesbians and gay men are somehow diseased or psychologically/emotionally disordered — notions discredited by both the American Psychological Association and the American Psychiatric Association in the 1970s. Please avoid using "homosexual" except in direct quotes. Please also avoid using "homosexual" as a style variation simply to avoid repeated use of the word "gay." The Associated Press, New York Times and Washington Post restrict usage of the term "homosexual" (See AP, New York Times & Washington Post Style).

Offensive: "homosexual relations/relationship," "homosexual couple," "homosexual sex," etc.
Preferred: "relationship" (or "sexual relationship"), "couple" (or, if necessary, "gay couple"), "sex," etc.
Identifying a same-sex couple as "a homosexual couple," characterizing their relationship as "a homosexual relationship," or identifying their intimacy as "homosexual sex" is extremely offensive and should be avoided. These constructions are frequently used by anti-gay extremists to denigrate gay and lesbian people, couples and relationships.
As a rule, try to avoid labeling an activity, emotion or relationship "gay," "lesbian" or "bisexual" unless you would call the same activity, emotion or relationship "straight" if engaged in by someone of another sexual orientation. In most cases, your readers, viewers or listeners will be able to discern people's genders and/or sexual orientations through the names of the parties involved, your depictions of their relationships, and your use of pronouns.
Offensive: "sexual preference"
Preferred: "sexual orientation"
The term "sexual preference" is typically used to suggest that being lesbian, gay or bisexual is a choice and therefore can and should be "cured." Sexual orientation is the accurate description of an individual's enduring physical, romantic, emotional and/or spiritual attraction to members of the same and/or opposite sex and is inclusive of lesbians, gay men, bisexuals and heterosexual or straight men and women (See AP, New York Times & Washington Post Style).

Offensive: "gay lifestyle" or "homosexual lifestyle"
Preferred: "lesbian," "gay," "bisexual"
There is no single lesbian, gay or bisexual lifestyle. Lesbians, gay men and bisexuals are diverse in the ways they lead their lives. The phrase "gay lifestyle" is used to denigrate lesbians and gay men, suggesting that their sexual orientation is a choice and therefore can and should be "cured" (See AP, New York Times & Washington Post Style).

Offensive: "admitted homosexual" or "avowed homosexual"
Preferred: "openly lesbian," "openly gay," "openly bisexual"
Dated term used to describe those who are openly lesbian, gay or bisexual or who have recently come out of the closet. The words "admitted" or "avowed" suggest that being gay is somehow shameful or inherently secretive. Avoid the use of the word "homosexual" in any case (See AP, New York Times & Washington Post Style).

Offensive: "gay agenda" or "homosexual agenda"
Preferred: "lesbian and gay civil rights movement" or "lesbian and gay movement" Lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people are as diverse in our political beliefs as other communities. Our commitment to equal rights is one we share with civil rights advocates who are not necessarily LGBT. "Lesbian and gay civil rights movement" accurately describes the historical efforts, by gay and straight people alike, to achieve understanding and equal treatment for LGBT people. Notions of a "homosexual agenda" are rhetorical inventions of anti-gay extremists seeking to create a climate of fear by portraying the pursuit of civil rights for LGBT people as sinister. (See AP, New York Times & Washington Post Style).

Problematic: "hermaphrodite"
Preferred: "intersex person"
The word "hermaphrodite" is an outdated, stigmatizing and misleading word, usually used to sensationalize intersex people.

Problematic: "sex change," "pre-operative," "post-operative"
Preferred: "transition"
Referring to a sex change operation, or using terms such as pre- or post-operative, inaccurately suggests that one must have surgery in order to truly change one's sex.

Offensive: "special rights"
Preferred: "equal rights" or "equal protection"
Anti-gay extremists frequently characterize civil rights and equal protection of the law for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender Americans as "special rights" in an attempt to energize opposition to family recognition, anti-discrimination protections and equal opportunity laws (See AP, New York Times & Washington Post Style).

Problematic: "transgenders," "a transgender"
Preferred: "transgender people," "a transgender person"
Transgender should be used as an adjective, not as a noun. Do not say, "Tony is a transgender," or "The parade included many transgenders." Instead say, "Tony is a transgender person," or "The parade included many transgender people."

Problematic: "transgendered"
Preferred: "transgender"
The word transgender never needs the extraneous "ed" at the end of the word. In fact, such a construction is grammatically incorrect. Only verbs can be transformed into participles by adding "-ed" to the end of the word, and transgender is an adjective, not a verb.

DEFAMATORY TERMINOLOGY

Defamatory: "deceptive," "fooling," "pretending," "posing," or "masquerading"
Gender identity is an integral part of a person's identity. Please do not characterize transgender people as "deceptive," as "fooling" other

Defamatory: "she-male," "he-she," "it," "trannie," "tranny," "gender-bender"
I can and have used the term CORRECTLY in those communities.
Lisa loves Pooh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 03:54 PM   #113
Lisa loves Pooh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmasm View Post

It depends on how it's used. To say 'he's gay' when referring to a man that is homosexual is not a slur. When a teen says 'you're so gay' when unhappy with someone else's behavior, it becomes a slur.
The person is insinuating that the word gay as a noun is a slur like the N word.

They are incorrect.

And if the teens are gay, they likely aren't bothered by the phrase.
Old 08-07-2009, 04:11 PM   #114
Lisa loves Pooh
DIS Veteran

Double post--(sorry)
Old 08-07-2009, 04:16 PM   #115
Mom2Nick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyBamaFan View Post
What does one do when they have lost an argument? Deflect or begin insulting the other party. You have done both.

Bravo...
You think you won this argument?
Mom2Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:27 PM   #116
frndshpcptn
Disney's Ultimate Fan, and our very own Travel Channel television star!!!
Really knows how to have a good time at the WORLD!

Would you think the word "preppy" is a slur against someone?

For example, "My friend's daughter is so blonde and preppy - ugh - and mean to my kid because she's a brunette."
frndshpcptn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:43 PM   #117
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa loves Pooh View Post
The person is insinuating that the word gay as a noun is a slur like the N word.

They are incorrect.

And if the teens are gay, they likely aren't bothered by the phrase.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but are you saying the intent is irrelevent? I don't buy that for a second. The intent of a comment like that is to use the word as a slur. I am not saying the word should never be uttered, I am saying that using it as an insult is offensive.

Quote:
Would you think the word "preppy" is a slur against someone?

For example, "My friend's daughter is so blonde and preppy - ugh - and mean to my kid because she's a brunette."
No, that's ridiculous.
jrmasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:48 PM   #118
frndshpcptn
Disney's Ultimate Fan, and our very own Travel Channel television star!!!
Really knows how to have a good time at the WORLD!

Quote:
No, that's ridiculous.
Why is it ridiculous? It seems like the same thing (to me anyway).
frndshpcptn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:49 PM   #119
DisneyBamaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Nick View Post
You think you won this argument?
I have no idea why some feel that it is their right to tell others what they can or cannot say, or what they mean when they say something.

I support your right to disagree with every word in this post.

Peace...
Old 08-07-2009, 04:49 PM   #120
Lisa loves Pooh
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but are you saying the intent is irrelevent? I don't buy that for a second. The intent of a comment like that is to use the word as a slur. I am not saying the word should never be uttered, I am saying that using it as an insult is offensive.

No, that's ridiculous.
I said my brother is gay and refers to himself as such as does his partner and all of their straight and gay friends.

This is what I responded to earlier a post by sbell111:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbell111
That argument doesn't work. It's like me making the argument that it's OK for me to drop the N word simply because some black people use it.
Clearly any word in the English language can be used in a horrific manner. IT doesn't make the word a slur when it is accepted and preferred by the very people it refers to.

I did not say intent was irrelevant. I am implying that the sweeping generalization that a word is a slur just b/c someone says it is--does not make it so nor is it comparable to the N word just b/c someone wants it to be.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: