Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2009, 02:01 PM   #76
lillygator

Mom of two Princesses!
Grew up wanting to be a can can girl
let's just say my whoop whoop's woke the sleeping giant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmasm View Post
Yes and negative.
I agree that in the OP it was meant to be negative, jappy was something "her" daughter was not and she was proud of that fact.
Hide the rum, the 2007 Bad Girl Adventures have begun!
'04 ~ Pop, AKL, ASMo, WL & Wonder Cruise!
'05 ~ ASMo, CBR, CSR, ASMu, Pop, Poly & Eastern Cruise!
'06 ~ POR, ASSports, ASMusic x 2, AKL, BWI, POP & Double Dip Cruise!
'07 ~ CBR, ASMo, BCV x 2, OKW, Orlando Breeze, POP!!
'08 ~ Offsite Knight's Inn YUCK! ~ Stealing the Magic ~ May Repo! Candy Cane Inn!
'09 ~ May DCL Western~Key Lime Pirates!
lillygator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:02 PM   #77
DisneyBamaFan
Alabama - 2009 National Champions

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer View Post
But then it is all about you. I can't use the word because you don't want me to. I will say any word I want and you can say any word you want. That is the ultimate freedom. I will not tell you not to use any word at the same time you don't tell me not to use any word. Then we all have the entire catalog of language to use and everyone wins.
See, there you go using logic in a discussion about political correctness...
DisneyBamaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-07-2009, 02:02 PM   #78
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!

Quote:
I will say any word I want and you can say any word you want.
Yes, you can and people can judge you accordingly.
jrmasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:04 PM   #79
DisneyBamaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillygator View Post
I agree that in the OP it was meant to be negative, jappy was something "her" daughter was not and she was proud of that fact.
So, do we ban all negative adjectives?
Old 08-07-2009, 02:05 PM   #80
DisneyBamaFan

Quote:
Yes, you can and people can judge you accordingly.
Judge not lest ye be judged...
Old 08-07-2009, 02:08 PM   #81
goofy!
You have to ride a roller coaster now, nah-ne-nah-ne-boo-boo!
It has been two weeks now and my toes are only a bit chipped

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer View Post
See, you are applying too narrow of a definition to the words if you are so offended. One meaning of retarded is someone who's mental acuity is lower than a particular threshold. There are other understood meanings in conversational English. One is a situation that is just dumb. This definition is separate than the other. An engine can have it's timing retarded, yet no one is accusing the engine of being mentally handicapped.

The same goes with gay. One definition of gay is someone who is sexually attracted to members of their same sex. Another definition is someone who is happy. Sill, another understood definition is a situation that is strange or different. All of these definitions are mutually exclusive.

When someone is accused of being, dressing like, or acting like a ho they are not being compared with a tool that is used to loosen clumped dirt. The word is used in a different context because it has different definitions in conversational (aka slang) dialogue.

No word offends me, not a single one. Not one used in front of me or even directed at me. Words are just collections of letters, I don't attach emotional value to them.
As the parent of a daughter with Mental Retardation, I find your viewpoint very insulting.

The fact that you even admit that using the word "retarded" is to use it to describe something "dumb" shows how ignorant that viewpoint is to the population that are clinically retarded.

You are using a medical term to describe their developmental delay to refer to an act by a person that is "dumb". Can you not see that this is a direct slam to anybody with mental retardation in that if somebody is "retarded" or acting "retarded", it is negative and "dumb."

To use somebody's medical condition to describe an action as "dumb" in a negative connotation is very insulting to the group.

My daughter has Down syndrome. Words don't usually bother me, I have a pretty thick skin when it comes to politically incorrect use of language. For instance, I have had people ask me if she is a Mongoloid or is she a retard, both considered politically incorrect and highly insulting. However, that doesn't bother me because they were or are clinical terms for her condition.

However, to use Retard in an extremely negative way to denote poor behavior of somebody not mentally retarded is an insult to my daughter and thus, insults me.

To try to say it is "ok" and those of us with loved ones with developmental delays should just accept it, is even more of an insult as it implies that my daughter would not understand that others are being characterized as a "retard" because they are doing stupid behaviors.

My daughter is not stupid or dumb and her mental condition should never be used in a demeaning way to describe other people's stupid and dumb behavior.
goofy! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:11 PM   #82
jrmasm
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyBamaFan View Post
Judge not lest ye be judged...
I make no apologies for judging people based on the hateful and disrespectful language that they use.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:14 PM   #83
DisneyBamaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy! View Post
As the parent of a daughter with Mental Retardation, I find your viewpoint very insulting.

The fact that you even admit that using the word "retarded" is to use it to describe something "dumb" shows how ignorant that viewpoint is to the population that are clinically retarded...
The PP did not say what you claim above. She said that the situation was dumb. Read it again...
Old 08-07-2009, 02:15 PM   #84
DisneyBamaFan

Quote:
I make no apologies for judging people based on the hateful and disrespectful language that they use.
Of course you don't. You can be as hateful as you please, but only you, right?
Old 08-07-2009, 02:19 PM   #85
goofy!

Quote:
The PP did not say what you claim above. She said that the situation was dumb. Read it again...
She said she uses it all the time when a situation is "dumb." That is relating a medical condition of a group of human beings to a situation that is "dumb." This means that the person finds the retarded population in such a negative and dumb way that they use their medical definition to describe situations that they feel are similar.

There can be no other explanation of using a medical condition to describe a social situation as "dumb" except that you feel that the medical condition is "dumb" in itself.

The person who uses "retarded" to negatively describe "dumb" situations is directly referencing the medical condition and ascribing those same negative connotations to the clinically retarded population.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:21 PM   #86
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

Quote:

The fact that you even admit that using the word "retarded" is to use it to describe something "dumb" shows how ignorant that viewpoint is to the population that are clinically retarded.

You are using a medical term to describe their developmental delay to refer to an act by a person that is "dumb". Can you not see that this is a direct slam to anybody with mental retardation in that if somebody is "retarded" or acting "retarded", it is negative and "dumb."

To use somebody's medical condition to describe an action as "dumb" in a negative connotation is very insulting to the group.

My daughter has Down syndrome. Words don't usually bother me, I have a pretty thick skin when it comes to politically incorrect use of language. For instance, I have had people ask me if she is a Mongoloid or is she a retard, both considered politically incorrect and highly insulting. However, that doesn't bother me because they were or are clinical terms for her condition.

However, to use Retard in an extremely negative way to denote poor behavior of somebody not mentally retarded is an insult to my daughter and thus, insults me.

To try to say it is "ok" and those of us with loved ones with developmental delays should just accept it, is even more of an insult as it implies that my daughter would not understand that others are being characterized as a "retard" because they are doing stupid behaviors.

My daughter is not stupid or dumb and her mental condition should never be used in a demeaning way to describe other people's stupid and dumb behavior.
I don't use it in any reference to people with mental retardation. What you are saying is that every use of that word is in reference to one of it's many many meanings, conversationally and literally. The growth of anything can be retarded, the timing of an engine can be retarded, and a situation can be retarded. People, whether you like it or not, can act retarded outside of their mental ability. All of these are mutually exclusive meanings. Can someone who is not clinically an idiot act like one? I would say yes, so why is that ok but using another mental measurement and projecting that onto behavior is all of a sudden so taboo.

At no point am I eluding to the mentally challenged. Again, you have an emotional connection to a word that you are entitled to, just don't try to project it onto me.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:23 PM   #87
goofy!

never mind. Don't need to stoop to their level.

Last edited by goofy!; 08-07-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 02:23 PM   #88
DisneyBamaFan

Quote:
She said she uses it all the time when a situation is "dumb." That is relating a medical condition of a group of human beings to a situation that is "dumb." This means that the person finds the retarded population in such a negative and dumb way that they use their medical definition to describe situations that they feel are similar.

There can be no other explanation of using a medical condition to describe a social situation as "dumb" except that you feel that the medical condition is "dumb" in itself.

The person who uses "retarded" to negatively describe "dumb" situations is directly referencing the medical condition and ascribing those same negative connotations to the clinically retarded population.
Wow! Have we really become this politically correct?
Old 08-07-2009, 02:24 PM   #89
Lisa loves Pooh
DIS Veteran

I'd have to give my sister an ultimatum--keep her kid in line or no longer be invited to be near my family. Fior mutli-family events, we would suck it up and be in attendance, but that sister will not say one cross word to my child.

Bottom line.

This isn't mean girl issue--this is family crap. (well it is a mean girl--but it's family crap, too!) I have no tolerance for family crap. It is not what family is supposed to be about. I also don't do to well with liars and it seems your DN may not quite be lying-but is omitting key information to her mother that she is saying mean things and thus is deserving of the snubs she gets from your daughter.
Lisa loves Pooh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:24 PM   #90
jrmasm
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!

Quote:
Of course you don't. You can be as hateful as you please, but only you, right?

What did I say that was hateful?

Go ahead and judge on my beliefs and upbringing. I'm completely fine with that. And I consider the source.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: