Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2009, 01:20 PM   #46
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmasm View Post
Ignorance is no defense. And a slur is a slur.

As I tell my children, if you don't know what a word means, you darn well better not use it.
Actually, if I am reading the posts correctly, the person who used the word is of Jewish heritage and therefore probably understood perfectly well what she was saying and meant to convey exactly what she conveyed.

You call it a slur. Others call it a description.
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:25 PM   #47
swanmom
Victoria and Alberts - Hands Down
Some people got a lot more time than they have sense
Was that a Sonic Boom or is my DH ironing again?

This is such a tough age. My DD and I had lots of talks about the mean or 'popular' (or both) girls who love to make themselves feel big by making others feel small. She even developed a 'code' word for her strategy in dealing with this. When this happens, she says you have to "WAB" it. It stands for "water off a duck's back" - meaning it has just as little importance and does just as little harm as water does to a duck and, if you let it roll off, lasts about as long! It actually helped her 'reframe' her reactions to these girls and she would brag about how she figured out a way to WAB it!
swanmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-06-2009, 01:26 PM   #48
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

Quote:
No, perception is more important than the intention.

This is no different than saying "you are so gay." Is that acceptable to you as well?
If the person was really happy, it would be perfectly acceptable to me.

If the person is homosexual, telling them they are gay would be a statement of fact, not an insult.

If the person is not homosexual, are you insinuating that it would be insulting to be referred to as homosexual? Why do you think that?

Is it your perception that being referred to as homosexual if one is not is an insult? I don't have that same perception. Why do you perceive homosexuality as insulting?????
Old 08-06-2009, 01:30 PM   #49
Darsa
Has an active imagination
Can't sleep with socks on!

Quote:
If the person is not homosexual, are you insinuating that it would be insulting to be referred to as homosexual? Why do you think that?

Is it your perception that being referred to as homosexual if one is not is an insult? I don't have that same perception. Why do you perceive homosexuality as insulting?????
Sometimes I disagree with you DD, but on this one, from me you get a great big

My younger brother is gay and this subject has come up at LENGTH at our house; the discussion is always lively and very often funny or downright hilarious; the thing is, being gay is not something that's looked down upon in our family, by any of us.

So, to you!

Derail's done!

Be a hero, because you can't take it with you!

In memory of my mom 1/12/44 - 3/25/10 I wish I could have helped, I'm so sorry!
Darsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:32 PM   #50
JoiseyMom
Have you had your SPANX today???
I mean, peep poop should be shiny and colored!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Doll View Post
I agree with this 100%. My house, my rules. No one will behave in a manner that I find unacceptable at my home and I don't care who they are.

And quite frankly, if I am elsewhere and someone is behaving in a manner that is unaccpetable to me, I have no problem saying "I am not tolerating cousin Susie's bad behavior" and leaving. Clearly, these people don't care what you think about them so why would you care what they think about you?

I was not at my home, I was at the home of my DS's future in-laws with extended family and friends for a casual engagement party. My sil is who she is, and that isn't saying much. I handled it the most mature way to handle it. Any confrontation of any type at the time to her, would have done no good. And I wasn't going to dothat there. DD understood that and knows the type of person her Aunt is.

My SIL made an *** out of herself and I let her. I told DD she was correct in what she said and how she acted and that I was proud of her for sticking up for herself. Anything I would have said to my SIL would have turned into a nightmare. I wasn't going to do that there.

The only times my SIL even calls my house is for a favor. She needs me to pick up one of her kids, or watch them since she is going somewhere. These are few and far between thank heavens!!

I don't care what my SIL thinks of me and never have. We got into a hugh fight 12 years ago, and I didn't talk to her or my brother for 6 months! What a nice and quiet 6 months!! They also didn't live in my town then. We only started talking again because my mom passed away. To this day I know exactly the type of person my SIL is, and I speak to her because she is my brothers wife...but I really dislike her personally and am amazed at what my brother puts up with. The things she has done just makes me go . She is not the sort of person I would want as a friend. And I have felt this way since I was a teen and she was dating my brother. I have actually said to my DN16, not the mean one, if you need a place to escape too, you are more then welcome to come to my house. I wish I was closer to her, but sadly it wasn't meant to be. She does have my older DS to talk too and go to, so that is good for her.
2005 August - Surprise Trip for kids!! CSR; 2006 August - Surprise Trip for kids at CSR again!! 2007 August - 3 nite Wonder & AKL FD 3peat!!
2007 December 8 - 7nite Eastern on the Magic! 2008 August 17 DCL Magic EB Panama Canal; March 2011 WDW trip with friends. 2012 Aug 25 DCL Bahamas Magic from NYC;2012 Sept 12 DCL Canadian Magic;2013 Aug AKL Kidani;2013 Aug DCL Fantasy

I am Poohtiful and Poohlicious!!!! Have you had your Spanx today???
JoiseyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:41 PM   #51
jrmasm
Last time I checked, it was still the thought that counted
Wanna debate that topic?
So elegant but goofy!!

Quote:
If the person was really happy, it would be perfectly acceptable to me.

If the person is homosexual, telling them they are gay would be a statement of fact, not an insult.

Do you deny that it is not uncommon for teens/young adults to say "you are so gay" as an insult? Or 'don't be retared'.

The OP used the term "jappy" as a negative stereotype. That makes it a slur not matter who says it.
jrmasm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 01:43 PM   #52
esbrick
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You and others can tell yourself that all you want but you are wrong. It is no different than gay or retard or the 'n' word.

It's really sad that you can't see that.
jrmasm I'm sorry, I realize this is your opinion, however, calling someone the "n" word is in my opinion ignorant and disgusting! There is absolutely no corolation whatsoever!

Calling someone a "retard" is terrible and immature, and I agree with you, tell you about the person using it. My DSD was called that by a cousin and the cousin, who is now my neice, got an earful for it. Using that kind of language is not how I want my family represented.

Calling someone gay, well, it depends on the person. I have friends that are gay, so it means nothing to me/them. I can't remember if and when I have ever used the word, to be honest, but it is all "HOW" you use it. Location, location, location! Ya gotta pick and choose with that one, I have better adjectives at this juncture of my life however
April 12 - Krick, Brick, Brady Families Spring Break @ SSR; March/April 11 - Krick, Brick, Brady Families Spring Break; May 10 - Mike & Eilis SSR, April 09 - Krick / Brady families Spring Break to SSR and the Disney Wonder; December 08 - Eilis & Mike's Disneymoon at SSR ; May 08 - SSR DFH & Me ; March 08 - DCL DFH, DSD & Me!!; September 07 - Labor Day Family Trip; More trips not enough room
esbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:21 PM   #53
frndshpcptn
Disney's Ultimate Fan, and our very own Travel Channel television star!!!
Really knows how to have a good time at the WORLD!

Quote:
Do you deny that it is not uncommon for teens/young adults to say "you are so gay" as an insult? Or 'don't be retared'.

The OP used the term "jappy" as a negative stereotype. That makes it a slur not matter who says it.
You seem to be really harping on this...is there a reason this is such a "hot button" subject for you that would like to discuss? Perhaps it would help us understand where you are coming from, since many of us disagree with you.
frndshpcptn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:33 PM   #54
disneyjunkie
I'VE GOT MY EYES ON YOU!!!

When did JAP become a slur?

I graduated from a Brooklyn high school in 1986. Most the Jewish girls wore gold necklaces with the word JAP on them. Many of them had the word spelled out with diamonds.

Many of the black girls had BAP necklaces and the Spanish girls had PRAP or DAP.

I still see teens wearing them.
disneyjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:37 PM   #55
JoiseyMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyjunkie View Post
When did JAP become a slur?

I graduated from a Brooklyn high school in 1986. Most the Jewish girls wore gold necklaces with the word JAP on them. Many of them had the word spelled out with diamonds.

Many of the black girls had BAP necklaces and the Spanish girls had PRAP or DAP.

I still see teens wearing them.
Well one poster mainly thinks this, we have no idea why. I do know that I used it as an adjective to describe the type of child my daughter is not . So now I am a bad bad person for using such a naughty word .

But it has taken my vent thread about mean girls way for topic.....
2005 August - Surprise Trip for kids!! CSR; 2006 August - Surprise Trip for kids at CSR again!! 2007 August - 3 nite Wonder & AKL FD 3peat!!
2007 December 8 - 7nite Eastern on the Magic! 2008 August 17 DCL Magic EB Panama Canal; March 2011 WDW trip with friends. 2012 Aug 25 DCL Bahamas Magic from NYC;2012 Sept 12 DCL Canadian Magic;2013 Aug AKL Kidani;2013 Aug DCL Fantasy

Old 08-07-2009, 08:33 AM   #56
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

You're right...and I agree with you...mean girls suck and so do their parents if they know their child is mean and do nothing about it.

OP, I recall one of your posts saying that this kid's parents think she never does anything wrong. Where do people get parents like that? Mine always approached parenting with the underlying ideal that kids could be capable of anything if they are allowed to be. There was nothing I could do as a kid that would have surprised them. But I had friends whose parents were like that..."Oh my Suzie would never do something liek that" while Suzie is standing behind her Mom flipping the bird at passersby.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:31 AM   #57
JoiseyMom

Quote:
You're right...and I agree with you...mean girls suck and so do their parents if they know their child is mean and do nothing about it.

OP, I recall one of your posts saying that this kid's parents think she never does anything wrong. Where do people get parents like that? Mine always approached parenting with the underlying ideal that kids could be capable of anything if they are allowed to be. There was nothing I could do as a kid that would have surprised them. But I had friends whose parents were like that..."Oh my Suzie would never do something liek that" while Suzie is standing behind her Mom flipping the bird at passersby.

Her mother, my sil, says not my daughter, she would never do that, and doesn't care if there is another side to the story. My brother laughs and says yes my daughter is nasty and mean.

My sil spent years being infertile and trying to get pregnant..while her friends were having kids and her husbands younger sister (me) just popped em out! She spent years in therapy and had jealousy issues with her friends and with me. She is very permissive in some things and not in others.

I remember being allowed to watch my oldest neice at one point, she was 2, and my sil telling me she doesn't eat. Well I was able to get her to eat an english muffin with American cheese on it . Guess my sil was the type to give in and give junk and found it easier.

We may have lived nearby, but we were never close so I can't stay much more. I know they were both spoiled and that my oldest neice just wants out. I know some of the things my SIL has said to my oldest neice she should be shot for!! I really feel sorry for my nieces, my SIL has lots of issues but thinks she is better then anyone else and in my opinion is clueless.

I am far from being the best/perfect parent in the world, I have made a ton of mistakes and will make a ton more, but not in the category of my sil!

My main concern is my DD and protecting her, and that I will! If it means saying no to all invitations to my brothers, then I will. If my DD wants to hang with her cousin or talk to her on the phone, I will let her. There are times my DN is nice and my DD is very loving and forgiving. But she knows not to trust DN, adn that is sad when you can't trust family. But you can pick your friends, not your family.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:27 AM   #58
sbell111
I don't care if people walk slowly, as long as they are willing to do it behind me
Our roomba locked itself in the laundry room not too long ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoiseyMom View Post
Well one poster mainly thinks this, we have no idea why. I do know that I used it as an adjective to describe the type of child my daughter is not . So now I am a bad bad person for using such a naughty word .
Wow. You are going a little too far with the innocent victim bit.

The fact is, you meant for the word to be negative when you used it. It was a negative thing that your precious daughter wasn't. Also, I'm not buying that just because your Jewish means that the word isn't a slur. The true test is whether someone not in that group would be OK using it. I imagine that you would complain plenty if I called you 'jappy'.

Regarding the thread's topic, based on the tone of your posts, I imagine that you would not possibly believe that your wonderful daughter could possibly be at fault. It is likely that you and your SIL have much more in common then you would admit to yourself.
sbell111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:54 AM   #59
FireDancer
DIS Veteran

Hopefully your daughter will let this roll off of her. Growing up I was very small and was made fun of all the time. About the 4th grade I stopped caring and when someone would call me short I started responding with a jab at myself (some thing like "that is why I was voted boy least likely to reach that") it stopped. It is still how I handle the comments about being short.

As far as the "slur" goes, who cares. I call people or things gay or retarded all the time. It has nothing to do with calling them someone who is attracted to people of the same sex or who have mental impairments, they are just words that are understood to have meanings beyond the literal meanings, that is all. I have gay friends and none of them care if I call a situation gay. I'm Polish and Italian and could care less if you call something or someone a pollock or a dego...who cares? Anyone offended by a word is way too full of themselves.

Last edited by FireDancer; 08-07-2009 at 12:08 PM.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 12:00 PM   #60
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer View Post
Hopefully your daughter will let this roll off of her. Growing up I was very small and was made fun of all the time. About the 4th grade I stopped caring and when someone would call me short I started responding with a jab at myself (some thing like "that is why I was voted boy least likely to reach that") it stopped. It is still how I handle the comments about being short.

As far as the "slur" goes, who cares. I call people or things gay or retarded all the time. It has nothing to do with calling them someone who is attracted to people of the same sex or who have mental impairments, they are just words that are understood to have meanings beyond the literal meanings, that is all. I have gay friends and none of them care if I call a situation gay. I'm Polish and Italian and could care less if you call something or someone a pollock or a dego...who cares?

This is one of the saddest, most infuriating things I've read in a while. As far as "who cares"?...I DO.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: