Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2009, 04:52 PM   #1
ElizK
I'm a whosoever!
My threads are dead before they're even posted!
Gained 10 lbs just reading a thread on the DIS

Advil for dogs?

Just got home from the vet. My elderly beagle has torn her ACL and meniscus (however you spell that...). She'd been limping over the weekend, and I gave her Advil a couple of times (a total of 5 pills over 4 days) in case she was in pain or had inflamation. The vet wanted to do liver tests because Advil is toxic for dogs- and she said Tylenol is, too! I googled it when I got home, and found sites that say it is toxic, and other sites that say it is ok. Which is it?
Old 08-11-2009, 04:59 PM   #2
terri01p
DIS Veteran

TOXIC !!!! Do not give a dog advil !!!!! My beagle when she was alive had a lot of leg problems and the vet said to give her half of an asprin, bufferin to be exact.

I want to start a thread sometime on over the counter meds that you can treat your dog with, because a lot of the internet is written by folks that don't know what they are talking about and that's scary.
terri01p is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-11-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
ZachnElli
Is it Spring yet?
Bad weather or not, you need more than 4 boxes

My vet has always said no advil or tylenol too, but when I had an elderly dog my vet said to give her one aspirin a day. I'd never give my dogs a people medicine without asking the vet first.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:03 PM   #4
dissybroad
Hidden Mickey, Palo Alto, CA. Located on University Ave. under Caltrain tracks

please, please follow your vets advice. my arthritic dog died of liver failure induced by rimadyl, an anti-inflammatory in the same class as advil.
Old 08-11-2009, 05:11 PM   #5
ElizK
I'm a whosoever!
My threads are dead before they're even posted!
Gained 10 lbs just reading a thread on the DIS

What confused me was that she wanted to do all these blood tests and then put her on another form of NSAID. No worries, I will not be giving her any more.

Thank you!
Old 08-11-2009, 05:34 PM   #6
TheBigBadWolf
New Rule:
The first person to reply on any thread needs to quote the OP. That way when someone does the delete of nevermind edit we know what was there.
Straw hater!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissybroad View Post
please, please follow your vets advice. my arthritic dog died of liver failure induced by rimadyl, an anti-inflammatory in the same class as advil.
My sister's dog had a large liver tumor caused from years of taking Rimadyl. She had to have emergency surgery to save her life, VERY expensive surgery.

I would have the liver tests. Advil is very dangerous for dogs.
TheBigBadWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 05:58 PM   #7
D&R love Disney
DIS Veteran

Our vet had us use asprin when our lab was in the early stages of arthritis. It worked well.
We also went the rimadyl route knowing that it could shorten his life later on.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:23 PM   #8
minkydog
DIS Cast Member
hey! I've got two college degrees and a steady job. if I wanna watch mindless TV, so what?
DIS Official Rum Taster
I used to be in the all-natural camp.

We tried the aspirin and glucosamine/chondroitin route with Minky for a few months, but he just couldn't get relief. Every time he tried to lie down he would get just so far, then collapse to the floor crying. Minky has severe arthritis in his sacral spine and both hips. He's a standard poodle mix so he's fairly heavy, about 80-lbs. We put him on Rimadyl, at first 75mg twice a day but we've been able to titrate down to 1/2 tablet twice a day. If we forget even once dose he's limping and moaning. Bless his heart, he's an old doggy, 9yo. We just get his liver profile done twice a year and hope for the best. So far the Rimadyl has been the best med for him.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:06 PM   #9
lisajl
This is our dog Chloe!
I am not sure I want drool all over the keyboard!
A very merry unbirthday to us all!!!

Any Rimadyl or nsaid type of medication means your dogs liver should be checked every 6 months.
Thank you for not giving ADVIL again. Good choice.
Aspirin is safe, can cause ulcers if used a lot.
Old 08-11-2009, 10:47 PM   #10
Parkers_girl
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to add a note for anyone with older dogs with joint issues. My 9 year old, rather large, border collie has had some joint problems for awhile, we had him on different stuff and I have always been too afraid of going the rimadyl route. A vet tech introduced me to "Missing Link--Plus", it's sold at Petsmart in the medicine aisle and it's a powder that you add to your dogs food. We have been using it for a few months and it is amazing how much better he is. When we ran out of the first bag, we delayed in buying another one and within a few days my boy was sore again. We tried other gluco/chondritin and he kept getting worse. We put him back on the missing link and he has been thriving ever since. Just make sure the bag says missing link *plus*, it's a gold bag that runs about $25 and lasts a good 2 months or so. Didn't mean to go off topic, but I know how troubling it can be for a dog with joint pain and this product has been so amazing for us, so I just hope I can help someone else!
Parkers_girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: