Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2009, 01:02 AM   #1
e2_erin
Earning My Ears

Movie question

Im not sure if this is the right place to put this question. I remember watching Mickey and the Beanstalk on tv as a kid and i loved it. DS loves jack and the beanstalk so I thought the mickey version would be great for him.

I hunted and hunted for it and finally found it on the DVD "Fun and Fancy Free" but when I rented it a the library it was weird. The movie was narrated by an old guy with a ventriloquist puppet talking to some kids. During the movie it kept cutting back to these scenes. I dont remember that ever being in the movie I watched on TV. DS was very confused by it and kept telling me to put the movie back on.

Now recently Ive seen the new DVD "Mickey and the Beanstalk" but Ive been afraid to buy it because I dont know if it has the same strange scenes in it. Can anyone tell me if this newer version is just the plain movie?

(this one has the puppets, see the picture)

(this is the new one)

[IMG]http://www.********************/timers/tickers/0pa1qfx41f5bvjm5.png[/IMG]
e2_erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 03:39 AM   #2
Macca1111
I wish I were at WDW!
I'm good at the graceful stuff
Why would you put Ivy in the title if it's never going to come up again?

Mickey and the Beanstalk was originally part of Fun and Fancy Free, an original package film from the 40s, which also included another short cartoon about Bongo the Bear and was bookended by Edgar Bergen and his ventriloquist dummies. What you bought is the original version. However, it looks like the second picture you posted is one of the repackagings that Disney did that only includes the Beanstalk story. They started separating it out much later than the original movie (maybe the 80s?) on TV. It looks like the video of Mickey and the Beanstalk from 2004 is just the movie, and is shortened and redubbed from the original. IMO, Fun and Fancy Free is worth watching, but maybe once your kid is older and won't be confused.

Macca1111 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: