Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Budget Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2009, 08:06 AM   #1
Maiya
Earning My Ears

Anyone know about Jackson Hewitt tax school?

I read on another thread that H&R Block pushes rapid refund and loans. Does Jackson Hewitt do the same thing?
H&R charges $249 for tax courses here and Jackson Hewitt is only $99. Are these courses worth it? The person I talked to at Jackson Hewitt said there was a very good chance of getting a job if I sucessfully complete the course.

I am seriously considering doing this because I've been looking for a job for long time and really need something.

Any info would help. Thnaks!
Old 08-08-2009, 08:59 PM   #2
Maiya
Earning My Ears

Anyone?

The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-10-2009, 09:22 PM   #3
Kims09
Mouseketeer

I don't know anything about Jackson Hewitt but I know a little about HR Block. I took their class last year. Since I passed the class, I was able to become employed by them.
It wasn't a bad experience at all, in my opinion. Yes, they do want you to try to sell their programs ( and I'm am certainly not one to push selling things on people) but really the programs sell themselves.
When you prepare someone's taxes and know they are ready to move forward with getting the tax prep through you, the computer system forces you to show all of the different options, including the cost of getting it with rapid refund and without rapid refund. The figures are right in front of their faces and then it's a matter of them justifying to themselves if it's worth the cost. It they didn't want it, I didn't push it and then you move forward.
Pay there is complicated, but it's essentially commission-based. The more classes you take and the more years you do tax preparation, the more money you make.
It was my first year, so the pay wasn't that great. But it's better than nothing. You pretty much are able to call you own hours (within reason).

This was a second job for me, and I really went overboard with scheduling my hours so I'm still burned out. I don't think I'm going to do it again this just because I am still burned out.

Plus, you can do your own tax preparation for free on their system and have all the experts at your disposal to ask questions. My tax prep would have cost me about $500 (no joke) through them, but it was completely free.

Granted our taxes are a little bit more complicated than the average joe (my husband has his own snowplowing subcontractor side business), so this made it worth it.

Also, an additional FYI- the cost of the class was a tax deduction in my state. Maybe it could be in your's too. You won't know unless you take the class!

Good luck!
Kims09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:15 PM   #4
bgbodnar
Mouseketeer

I took the Jackson-Hewitt course about 10 years back, and you have a good chance of working for them after, if you want. We were paid hourly. Alot of walk ins. You get to go your taxes free, also. I was laid off at the time and bored, so it was something to do, I enjoyed it.
Sept 2006 Pop Century-March 2007 Off-Site
August 2007 All Star Music
Sept 2007 Pop Century
Feb 2008 Downtown Disney Trip
May 2008 Pirates & Princess Party
July 2008 off-site DTD trip
Sept 2008 Pop Century
Oct 2008 Cocoa Beach-DTD
Nov 2008 All Star Music
July 2009 off site DTD trip
Sept 2010 Pop Century
bgbodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:27 AM   #5
MyMuse
From here...to there!

Location: North NJ (I don't know any Sopranos! or Real Housewives!)

Hmmm...I'm also trying to figure out whether JH vs HR dilemma.

I think I'm leaning toward Jackson Hewitt, though. I have a couple of more weeks to think about it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: